2001 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 485 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10
    7.0/10

Best vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "NO RUST, solid build and LOOOOONG LIFE."

Cons: "Slap the creator of the cupholders."

"Without a doubt the best, most dependable, fun to drive, and all around elegant vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of driving. My only regret is that the newer 2013-2014 VW Passat does not leave me with the same feeling. This was one of those vehicles that you are actually sad to see it go, because you will not see it again. Solid body, with a styling that was attractive inside and out."

awesome

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

"I love this car.... best car I've ever had!!!!"

Drives great and ages well

By on Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pros: "very comfortable, handles well, stylish,"

Cons: "the occasional walloping of a repair bill"

"I've owned my Passat for 13+ years now, and I still love it. I hope it keeps going for another 13+. For this car, it seems that people generally get either a very reliable one or a complete lemon. Thankfully I apparently bought one of the reliable ones. I have the V6 engine, and I've had only one massive repair bill at around 70k, when when the car died when oil leaked through the valve gaskets and flooded the spark plugs, plus I also then replaced the timing belt, water pump, etc (its a single package). Audi V6s get the same issue with leaky gaskets. Otherwise, besides a few minor-ish things through the years, like the O2 sensor, ball joints, both front turn signals falling out(!), and routine maintenance, I really haven't had any issues or complaints. The car handles great and is fun to drive, and can take turns fast when downshifting into them. I still get up to 31mpg on the freeway, and about 22ish city. It's important on these engines to use premium gas, or else they can get damaged with a sludgy buildup. The interior is comfortable and classy with wood trim and leather and nice textured materials, and has held up well. Granted, I'm very gentle on it, and give it a full detailing each year. I keep the car pretty immaculate, and it still looks like new, inside and out. The styling was really ahead of its time, and for a 14yr old car it looks amazingly not-outdated, and some of my less car-savvy friends guess it's only 4-5 years old. For the price that these can be found for nowadays, and if you can find one of the well cared for and reliable ones, it's really a great value."

great car

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "fast, good on gas, reliable, big cargo, family car"

Cons: "interior design could have been better"

"i bought this car for $3,000. it had some high miles on it and it wasn't really taken care of very well, but it was a great buy. i had to fix a few things but overall, it's very reliable and comfortable. there are a few interior inconveniences like cup holder placements, but i love my car!"

When its working, its the greatest of all time.

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "Not boring, fully loaded with options, comfortable"

Cons: "High Maintenance, High parts cost, headache"

"When you buy a vw/audi you should know the parts aren't cheap if you choose the dealer, whether its you having to buy the part that day (no choice online takes times) or you need to have them service something no other shop can, its pricey. I cannot complain about anything else minus the stuff that breaks on these cars it is all the same stuff very common problems. Valve cover gaskets, mass air flow sensors, axles, ripped leather seats, vacuum hoses, secondary airpumps, on audi a4/passat 1.8T's the way the oil pan is you have to change the oil pickup tube (take off the oil pan) because the netting in there gets sludged up over time etc. The car is an excellent daily driver, it has plenty of pick up, comfortable (when axles, control arms, tie rods, spring and struts are okay) plus has appeal past a boring accord or camry. They might be more reliable but to me they are boring. The passat is for a person who does not mind tinkering here and there when they have an issue that pops up randomly because it will. Any vw/audi is like that in my opinion from 96+ a4 a6 a8 passat jetta gti golf etc. The car will not be afraid to give you christmas lights on the dash board for the smallest issue and it might not even be what you think. For an automatic sometimes you might feel like your transmission is bad, but its just a bad mass air flow sensor instead. My personal vehicle is in great shape, sounds healthy even at high mileage. You do the maintenance, they run forever. It has leather, heated seats, sunroof, power windows, locks, cruise control and the manual transmission gives the car more flare and life. Already have taken care of some of the common issues with these cars so mines decent."