2000 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 490 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.4/10
    7.0/10

Have owned 8 cars in my life, its is the WORST!

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "Reasonably comfortable"

Cons: "Terrible reliability"

"Burns oil. Leaks oil. Parts "fall off" on a regular basis (including headlight, turn signal, front fender"

my wife covets it, if it wasn't so old

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "value, great driving, almost as cavernous as SAAB"

Cons: "vaporizes oil"

"My first car was a VW Sun Bug 1974. just right for college sold 1978 to my dentist whose 2 kids each drove it though their college years. My second, third"

Disapointing reliability

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Interior space is best in class"

Cons: "Disapointing reliability"

"Over 130,000 plus miles of driving all across the US had multiple reliability issues that came out quite short of "mythical German engineering". Specifically - faillure of both transmission joints on front wheels, faillure of timming belt twice, leaking of hydraulic steering fluid at the pump (replaced), faillure of cruise controt system, faillure of air conditioning."

Comfortable, but has a couple of problems

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, handles well, lots of room for cargo"

Cons: "Tends to bottom on uneven roads, flooding problem"

"This car is good for tall folks. I am 6'2" and have trouble fitting comfortably behind the wheel of some cars. The seat height adjustment and tilt/telescoping wheel make it easy for just about any size driver to find a comfortable driving position. There is lots of room to haul stuff if you put the back seats down. The ride is comfortable and steering is tight, not wishy-washy like some other cars. The suspension is not great for rough terrain or pot holes and has a tendency to bottom out, especially when fully loaded. I bottomed out onto the protruding edge of a manhole cover and cracked my transmission. The main design flaw is the trough under the battery. It has a small drainage hole at the bottom and if it gets clogged with leaves or other debris, that trough will fill with water when it rains. When this happens it overflows into the passenger compartment and floods the two computer modules which are under your feet in the front seating area. Those two modules control just about everything in the car and are over $300 to replace. There was also a drainage issue around the sliding sun roof."

good solid car, maintenance costs are high

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, looks good, solid, good mileage"

Cons: "expensive to repair, uses oil"

"car currently has 108,000 miles I have had to do the CV boots (expensive), exhaust flex connections (I had stainless flex connections welded in rather than pay crazy dealer cost), timing belt (around $1150 with water pump and tensioners). Door locks have a problem, electrical connection fails due to door opening and closing - $650 if you have the work done at the dealer. Its a good solid car but expensive to keep on the road. The car also uses oil, approx .5 quarts every 4 - 6 weeks at 10,00 miles per year."

Absolutely the best car I ever owned

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

"I bought this car used and in less than 18,000 more miles it will have travelled the distance to the moon. Great car!"

not bad. but not the best.

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "smooth and fast"

Cons: "expensive and uncomfortable"

"expensive to fix. Seats are uncomfortable. I have had it for 2 years now and i am still happy with it. it does not hold its value well at all for how much maintinece costs."

I love it

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "Germanluxury at an affortable price"

Cons: "expensive to fix sometimes"

"very good reliable"

Great car!

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "Good gas mileage, very roomy and comfortable"

Cons: "The cup holders are the worst"

"This is the best car I have owned. Good gas mileage, good power for a 4 cyl. Drives and runs well. Very roomy, comfortable interior and I'm 6'3. Factory Monsoon stereo sounds great. More console storage would be nice and better, bigger cup holders. My only regret is that I waited so long to buy one and I should have gotten the 4motion."

Sporty and economical, drives like a gocart

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Lots of power, fun to drive, reliable."

Cons: "Check engine lights"

"I have owned this car since day one. 165,000 miles now 12 years later, original clutch! For some reason parts have come way down in price, so a good used vehicle to own. The check engine lights are always on on these cars, you need to service the emissions tubing and system regularly. If you do not, it may cause oil leaks on the engine which, on the V6 engines can be near impossible to fix without major dissasembly of the entire engine! This car has a ton of pep even at 165k, good on gas with the 4 cyl turbo. Easy clutch to drive. I would buy another one in a heartbeat."

i love my car

By on Sunday, December 11, 2011

"Even after 12 years and 179,000 miles, I love driving this car. It handles so well. It still looks stylish."

best vehicle!

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, nice looking"

"I LOVE my passat! I have a 99 VW passat sedan, v6, automatic! It has a 150,000 miles on it and still runs strong. Great in the snow, and fun to drive all year! All around great car! The only thing I dislike is I only get about 21 mpg with it:/"

good car

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

"love the car but repairs do tend to be twice the cost of a domestic car. but the parts installed also last twice as long. quality is great but its not holding value like i would expect. i have never gotten stuck in the snow and the car has great stability in all weather conditions."

Sweet car

By on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

"This car is a tremendous value. reliable, comfortable, fuel efficient, and sporty. I live at 6000 ft in Western Colorado and routinely drive two 10,000 ft passes to Denver in deep winter on snow covered roads with no problem. It's a great all around vehicle."

nice design; pain to maintain

By on Monday, December 05, 2011

Reason: maintenance costs

Pros: "great styling (for 2000), average luxury"

Cons: "average luxury, premium gas, high maintenance"

"when it came out, i loved the styling of the car. the first 3-4 years of upkeep were fine, but once the vehicle hit about 75k miles, maintenance costs quickly became a problem. after $3k in catalytic converters, and $2k in sensors, i gave up and traded it in for a non-VW car. this car also requires premium gas. if you want an older vw, get a jetta. same engine but less weight = faster and more efficient."

Now my favorite VW

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

look for the 4Motion

"I love this car. I have had it for 3 years now with no problems. Rain, shine, snow, ice, dirt and mud. Road trips, ski trips, mountain adventures and highway fun this car has gotten me everywhere. Even though the base model is still worlds above its competition i recomend the top of the line GLS GLX and if your lucky and patient enough the 4Motion AWD is the only way to go.Heated mirrors, heated seats, seat memory, after a year i was still finding new options on it. More solid than your average VW. Audi engineering for VW prices :Hint find a VW shop for repairs"

look for the 4Motion

great car to own

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"I am 22, and from the view point of a 22 year old college stdent; this car is quite great. I have the 2.8 6v passat. I like the over all feel of the car and it has good power, at least enough to eat up the hondas and acuras out there. It handles nicely except for a little more than comfotable body roll at 60 or so... my only problem with the car, and if you are trying to get one to tune it at all, is you cant. All after market parts are extremely expensive and unless your willing to dump 5 grand into it, the is not for racing of really any kind. But, as a city and just a nice ride car, it is awesome. And, really my only complaint would be the gas mileage. but i give it "*****" =)"

I love this car despite it's flaws

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"I agree with the other reviews. I also have the V6 with all-wheel drive and I always feel very safe in it, especially in the winter. It goes up hilly, snow covered roads no problem. I've had problems with the breaks. I also had to disconnect a fan under the hood that kept running and killing my battery. Repairs are always expensive and cannot be done yourself. Despite this, the car is very reliable and safe and I love it."

Great car-reliable, but wd like better gas mileage

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

"I have the V6, all wheel drive modes. This car feels very safe to drive. it is heavy and really hugs the road in all conditions. But, only gets ~26 mpg on the highway"

I've had better

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "good looking car"

Cons: "cost too much to own"

"Over 12 years that I've had this car I've spent $19,937.77 on repaires. I can't afford a new car but I still like the car but I think I will buy something different next time."

very reliable - hardley ever any problems

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

"the car is / has been great!"

Great vehicle!!

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "reliability, great gas mileage"

Cons: "I which mine had a moonroof!"

"I've had this vehicle since it had 30k miles with no problems. Great vehicle with lots of room. Great gas mileage too."

My favorite...and least favorite car

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Reason: Divorce settlement

Pros: "A BLAST to drive!"

Cons: "Expensive repairs and a lot of them"

"This is the most fun car I have ever driven. It handles amazingly and is so much fun to drive. I hated to have to get rid of it. I had somewhat of a love-hate relationship with this car. Here's why: Pros: fast, great handling, a blast to drive, loads of features, side airbags, heated leather seats, sun roof. This car felt like a tank. I felt very safe driving it. Now the cons: everything this car did not need to run, went out on it. Everything suspension related (it's heavy) went out at least twice, engine mounts are cheap and break easily, power steering system sprung a leak and had to be topped off every 3 or so months, abs control module went out, catalytic converters (both) failed...among other things. Long story short, it's too heavy of a car to use cheap plastic parts...they're going to break when this much weight is put on them. And to top it off, its very expensive to work on. Altogether my repair bills were over $3000 and another $4000 of work was still needed. I now work at a VW repair shop and this is common...I hear this stuff every day. Bottom line, I absolutely loved that car and in spite of everything that went wrong, it was reliable. Like I said, everything that car did not absolutely need to run went out."

I love it

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Cons: "awkward cupholders"

"This is my third vehicle and I wish it was my first. Repairs can be pricey but I haven't had an issue. I Love my manual V6."

Best car I have ever owned!

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Extremely reliable. Still runs perfectly."

Cons: "Can't really think of any. Loved the car!"

"I have had this car for 11 years and it is by far the best car I have ever owned. I have not had a single engine issue beyond regular wear and tear. All I have done is put synthetic oil and premium gas in this car and I have been without a car payment for seven years because it has been so reliable! Granted, I have garaged the car for the entire time I have owned it and the mileage is low due to a limited commute. There are now some minor electrical issues with the car which Volkswagen is notorious for but, overall, the car has been great. I can only hope that my new Volkswagen will serve me as well!"