2000 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 494 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10
    7.0/10

Good wagon, not Great

By on Friday, October 19, 2007

"We bought our Passat new in Jan 1999, and it's still going strong. Very reliable car, no maintenance other than regularly scheduled stuff, and the occasional replacing of light bulbs. I think we were lucky and got a good one. Electrical problems are happening, though. The Temperature gauge no longer works. Also, our AC went out 3 years ago, and I refuse to pay $2,000+ for a new compressor. We were very disappointed when the AC went bad. Also, parts are breaking on the inside...molding has come down around the rear windows...small stuff like that. Mechanically, our Passat has been a very sound, reliable station wagon. We had one oil leak but it was fixed for free thanks to the 10 year/100,000 mile power train warranty that came standard on the '99. We hope to keep it for well over 10 years. The reason I gave my car 3 stars for quality is due to the AC going out, and temp gauge not working, and the small things breaking on the inside. Mechanically it has been 5 star wagon. Having said all of this, I'm not sure I would buy another Passat, though. They are expensive to buy new."

A Lot For The Money Unitl Repair Time

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2007

"I purchased my 1999 VW Passat GLX V6 new in July 1999. Currently I have 51,900 miles on it. Overall I think it is a very good automobile. The only draw back is the cost of maintenance and repair. Brakes are VERY expensive to repair. It takes coolant only available at a VW dealer. I do get excellent gas mileage - 34 to 36 on the highway, 22mpg city but I am a very conservative driver. If it were not for the high cost of maintenance/repair I would purchase VW again but am leaning toward Toyota or even (gasp) Buick."

Very Costly to maintain

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"I own a 2001 Passat GLX and while the drive is great, the maintainence of the car is a nightmare. The parts and labour are just too expensive. for e.g. to replace a single light bulb cost $29/- . Routine maintainence items (other then oil change - $80/-) typically cost in excess of $600/-. Also my car has done only 67,000 miles and already many major parts are breaking down (engine mounts, radiator leaks etc.)and I am looking at expenses in excess of $3000/- to get them all fixed. I have always done all the routine maintaince and service as recommended by VW, however I still have such a steep repair bill. I cannot wait to get rid of it and will strongly recommend against buying a VW."

This vehicle has been a huge expence to maintain.

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "Its cute"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain"

"I love the appearance of the body, but it has been extremely expensive to maintain."

VW Passat, best at: safety, reliability, comfort

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "Safety, fuel efficiency, room, ride."

Cons: "Stereo can sometimes loose signal."

"Owned car for 120,00 of it's 190,000 miles. Very well built, still original exhaust, clutch, engine & transmission (5-spd). Car still gets 30 MPG, does not burn or leak oil. Still fast and smooth. Never had a car (American or foreign) that is better at everything it does that this car. It is very safe, with airbags up front, and sides, as well as torso bags in seats. Looks as it did when new, a testament to how well they are put together, and the quality of the materials inside. Couldn't be happier with its overall performance."

Sporty and economical, drives like a gocart

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Lots of power, fun to drive, reliable."

Cons: "Check engine lights"

"I have owned this car since day one. 165,000 miles now 12 years later, original clutch! For some reason parts have come way down in price, so a good used vehicle to own. The check engine lights are always on on these cars, you need to service the emissions tubing and system regularly. If you do not, it may cause oil leaks on the engine which, on the V6 engines can be near impossible to fix without major dissasembly of the entire engine! This car has a ton of pep even at 165k, good on gas with the 4 cyl turbo. Easy clutch to drive. I would buy another one in a heartbeat."

Comfortable/smooth ride

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Reason: Expensive/Time-consuming Maintenance

Pros: "Comfortable ride, Good MPG, does well in Ice/Snow"

Cons: "Devours oil, repairs are expensive/time consuming"

"I bought this car in 2007, my second vehicle ever, and it had about 70k on it. I lived in an area where snow/ice and high winds were an everyday occurance and this car held it's own like a champ. Smooth comfortable ride, heated leather interior, Heat/AC always worked, 0 mechanical/engine problems. Car would always start up, even if it was -30 Fahrenheit outside. My maintenance (oil, tires, pressure, fluids, etc.) were always up to date. Bad news is, once I hit the 100k mark, the car simply started falling apart everywhere. My Turbo began burning 2 quarts of oil a week, started having misfires at startup, OEM shocks/struts literally started to decay/rust and fall off, all kinds of sensors began failing, and a bunch of other annoying things here and there that can be attributed to the age of the car. I've spent many free weekends hunting down spare parts and fixing the Passat myself, only to drive 5k-10k miles and have another mysterious age-related problem creep up. I finally bit the bullet and sold it when I hit 150k. After spending almost $1500 on parts alone and many lonely weeends tinkering with this car(which is no joke to repair), the time spent repairing the vehicle vs. the few weeks I got to drive it before it broke again for something unrelated to what I had just repaired wasn't worth the hassle anymore. All in all, car was fun at first, most comfy ride I've ever driven, but after the 100k mark, you're entering a world of hurt ;)."

Nice car but...

By on Saturday, August 22, 2009

"the car needs too many repairs. When I bought it at 76,000 miles it was great. However, now with 91,000 the car has needed many major repairs costing me over $2000 in 4 months with many more to come I'm sure. Very fun car to drive, especially the v6 5speed. However with all the repairs lately, it has me thinking that selling it may be the best more I could make."

Cost of Ownership

By on Saturday, August 08, 2009

"Only complaint is finding an affordable and honest service garage, that repairs what needs to be done, with out fixingg the car so it has to come back in the next month. The affordable part is what hurt this car the most, and main reason we will never go back to VW. A real keeper and easier to love it if you can, or know a good friend that will take care of the frequent maintenance. If not, be ready to drop the coin, but this could have been expected for any of the German makes."

Awesome Car

By on Monday, December 15, 2008

"Bought my 99 Passat 4 yrs ago with 65K on it. Yeah, had to put some $ into it....sensor for the temp gauge, rear caliper, and the biggie...cam shaft adjuster, timing belt and water pump. Car now has 118K on it and runs like a top. Just put new 50K Goodyears on her and hope to wear them out before its time to say goodbye to her or reload with new rubber. Gets around as good as my 4X4 truck in the winter. Poor thing has to sit outside year round, but I keep her washed and waxed and she still looks good from 10 feet. Wife and I love it so much, she got a new close out 08 this year."