2000 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 490 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.4/10
    7.0/10
Previous | 1 ... 18 19 20 | Next

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"I bought my black Passat wagon used in 2003. There were a few minor problems with the engine. Just take my advice, if there is a mechanical problem with the car, DO NOT take it to a small time mechanic, either take it to a dealer, or bring it to a shop that specializes in VW. Its great on gas, and the turbo has just the right amount of pep. Its a wondeful highway car and after 4 years of ownership, im glad I bought my 'V Dubya'."

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"I would never buy another Volkswagen again. I've have had my 2001 Passat 4-motion for two months and have had three major problems in 2000 miles. I'm going to fix it and take it to the Volkswagen dealer and trade for a Toyota Camry. Then can have the lemon."

problem after problem

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"I bought this car in 2003. It had 20000 miles on it. The car was a blast to drive and ran great except for a problem with the driver side door lock malfunctioning and the driver seat seatbelt malfunctioning as well. Besides these problems there was nothing majorly wrong with the car until it reached about 40000 miles. At 40k both front cv boots went out at the same time. This was about $700. Next at about 45k the abs control module went out. $2200. At around 50k the power steering system developed a leak. $800 later, the problem is still not resolved. Around the same time the transmission started acting up. It shifts very rough from 3rd to 2nd. This problem was also unresolved after numerous trips to the dealer and various repair shops and about $2000 in "repairs". At 70000 the water pump went out. This was another $700. At 75000 miles the check engine light came on. Both of the catalytic converters went out. This was about $1500 in repairs. I was also never able to get the seat belt of driver side door lock repaired. This car is only 6 years old and has only 80,000 miles on it. I have dumped way too much money into a car this new and because I bought it from a private party, the car is not under warranty. The car is definitely very well equipped with a sun roof, auto dimming rear view mirror, heated leather seats, traction control...the list goes on. The car is very fun to drive and that's why I kept it for so long hoping that it would be the last of the problems. It has lots of power is very fast. The gas mileage is ok at about 20 mpg hwy but you have to run premium gas in it so gas costs get very expensive. In the city the car averages about 8-15 mpg (8 in SF where I live). I am getting rid of this car before anything else goes out and getting a Toyota. I would gladly give up all the bells and whistles for a basic reliable car that I don't have dump thousands of dollars into every year."

not like the old VW

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"we purchased this car with expectations of our past vlolkswagaon experiences, we have been very disappoined in the pre 100K miles maintenance, problems and expense."

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Money Pit

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"This car has been nothing but trouble from the get-go. I am the original owner and have been consistent on all of its scheduled services, yet it has been incredibly unreliable. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy a Passat!"

good car

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"pros - reliable car with very good handling for a sedan. good warranty - water pump and something else went bad after 7 years but since i was original owner it was covered under warranty. con - clips on head lights broke within two weeks of each other after 6 years. only way to replace was to buy brand new lights ($100 each). Engine is getting louder as car gets older."

Unreliable 'til the end

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Lots of mechanical problems. I serviced the car dozens of times and flaky service departments spent multiple attempts (and $) trying to fix problems and rarely gave proper diagnoses. Numerous emissions problems, service light was always on, but the car was still a blast to drive. The turbo made acceleration fun and easy (besides the big lag), and engine felt pretty responsive for an affordable 4 cyl."

Best Car Ever

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I have owned this car for 7 years, and it has been great. I've kept up the 5,000 mile maintenance and so have had things fixed "before" there was a problem. Nothing unreasonable so far. I can't imagine another car having this kind of reliability. Before this, I had been a loyal Honda owner (for about 16 years), but no more. Now it's VW Passat all the way."

2001.5 GLS Passat

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I'm the original owner on this one and my first VW. I would purchase this car again in a heartbeat although I would get the wagon this time as I have 2 dogs and alot of stuff and sedan's just don't work that well for that. Haven't had a problem that wasn't reasonable to fix or under warranty. Just a flat out great car. I plan on running it into the ground. Stinker is the premium gas requirement though but still worth the vehicle."

A great car- but always breaking

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I have had my Passat for almost 2 years. It is a very comfortable ride, pretty good on gas and fast acceleration. However, I have spent thousands of dollars fixing it- for major and minor problems. It was fine until it hit about 85,000 miles, and it is at 100,000 now and still continuing to have problems. I have heard from several people that Volkswagons tend to have a lot of problems around 100,000 miles. I would say that is true. But overall a good car. I would not recommend fixing it at a VW dealer- they are not the best at service. I found an independent mechanic that specializes in VW's. It is a lot less expensive"

My Vee Dub is Awesome

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"This is my first real car (the first one I've paid for), and I've enjoyed my five-year experience with it. The V6 is strong, and the steering is terrific. It still looks great on the road today, and the interior has held up very well. I'm glad I didn't follow my friends and get another Honda (which is another awesome car). I love that it's a bit different. And, my friends love the styling and the comfort on road trips. The stereo can kick out some jams as well. Reliability has been pretty solid with a few maintenance needs, but I will always love my "Dubby!""

Reliable, but Expensive to Repair

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"We bought our 99 Passat used in 2001. It has been reliable, comfortable and overall, it's been a pretty good car. My only complaint is that when something goes wrong and needs to be repaired (which has happened more often than I would like), it is VERY expensive to repair."

Best Car Ever OWNED

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"Ive had this car for 8 months and i hear about alot of problems with it. I think it is the best car ive ever had. Its over all performance is GREAT. Its really comfortable and reliable. Drives like a dream car. I couldnt ask for better for the price i payed. 2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS sittin on 18z."

Previous | 1 ... 18 19 20 | Next