2000 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 494 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10
    7.0/10

Perfect for my first car

By on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable, looks cute, reliable"

Cons: "gets dirty fast, premium gas, small cupholders"

"My Dad bought the car new in 99' and passed it down to me last year. I was skeptical about learning to drive a manual, but once i got a hang of it I fell in love with how fun it is. The car is so comfortable and reliable and most importantly it is extremely fun. The car moves the way you want: its responsive and agile.It lasted 14 years before I totaled it a couple weeks ago-- a result of being an inexperienced driver-- but I'm getting another one because i love it so much. I would recommend this car to anyone!!"

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pros: "Well made and very reliable"

Cons: "Plastic electrical fittings are brittle with age."

"I've read all the reviews about how crummy this car is supposed to be. That may or may not be the overall case. All I know is that my Passat has been fantastic for 238,000 miles. I had to replace the coolant pump at 140,000 and the flex pipe at 230,000. The plastic electrical fittings seem cheap. Other than that there has been a few minor things that need attention. The antenna needs to be replaced soon. The lumbar support in the drivers seat broke at 210,000 and the ac needs to be recharged soon. Everything else works great. Lots of pep and no rust anywhere. This car still looks almost new! Amazing. Synthetic oil changes at 5000 mile intervals is a must for longevity. My goal was 200,000 miles. Now it's 250,000. I may not get there as I will be picking up a 2004 Passat with 4motion and a 6 speed manual with 80,000 miles. Maybe I'll keep both!"

NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER,BUT LOVE THE CAR

By on Monday, November 05, 2012

Pros: "DRIVES GREAT, VERY SEXY VEHICLE, AND ALWAYS STYLE"

Cons: "JUST NEEDS LEATHER AND CD PLAYER"

"I'M NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF THE VEHICLE. HOWEVER I AM THE 2ND OWNER OF IT AND I LOVE THE CAR.. I HAD TO GET SOME WORK DONE ON IT CONSIDERING THE ORIGINAL OWNER DIDN'T TAKE THE BEST CARE OF IT. VOLKSWAGEN IS SAID TO BE GREAT LONG LASTING VEHICLES AND YES I WOULD AGREE. I HAVE BEEN AND STILL AM PLEASED WITH MY VEHICLE.I WANT TO TRADE IN THE VEHICLE FOR ANOTHER VOLKSWAGEN SAME MODEL, JUST A NEWER YEAR.THIS PARTICULAR MODEL I HAVE IS AN ALL TIME U.S.MOST POPULAR MODEL.I LOVE THE COLOR,DRIVE AND MOST OF ALL I LOOK GOOD IN MY CAR... SO TO UPGRADE FOR A NEWER MODEL WOULD BE EVEN BETTER. I THINK FROM THIS HERE ON OUT I CAN ACTUALLY CONSIDER MYSELF A VOLKSWAGEN OWNER FOREVER. CAUSE THAT'S HOW HAPPY I HAVE BEEN WITH MY GOLDEN LADY.. CAN'T SAY I WOULDN'T TRADE HER FOR THE WORLD, BUT I CAN SAY I WOULDN'T TRADE VOLKSWAGEN IN FOR NO OTHER VEHICLE... I WILL BE FOREVER A VOLKSWAGEN DRIVER."

171,000 miles since bought new - excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Fast, reliable, efficient, and comfortable"

Cons: "Some interior plastic is showing wear"

"I bought my 2001.5 Passat Wagon new more than 10 years ago. It is white with a beige leather interior and a 5 speed manual transmission. My Passat is mostly driven at high freeway speeds where it cruises effortlessly and clocks a solid 30 mpg on 87 octane fuel. I use non-synthetic oil and have it changed religiously every 3,000 miles. My Passat is the most reliable, comfortable car I have owned. After 150K, unscheduled maintenance is trending up and includes coil packs (2x) @ 169K , ABS control unit @ 161K, and a smog air pump relay @ 152k. Other unscheduled maintenance includes an airmass meter @ 104K, vacuum hose replaced @ 94K, CV boot @ 90K"

LOVE this car

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "luxury on a budget"

Cons: "light bulbs need frequest changing"

"We bought this car used with approx 55,000 miles and was a one owner which was well maintained. It was in fantastic shape with no scratches and very few dings. The car has every option available on it including a serious premium Monsoon stereo, leather seating, burled wood trim, turning lamps, side indicators and an auto-dimming rear view mirror. It has fog lights, heated side mirrors, heated wiper washer nozzels, auto-speed sensative wipers and it came with both summer fabric floor mats and rubber winter floor mats. We've driven this car for almost 5 years and have had very few issues with it. The quality is fantastic and the ride is very nice. The only issues we've had have been with the various light bulbs, headlights, taillights and fog lights. We seem to have to change them on a somewhat regular basis which is a little frustrating. Other than that, we've had no issues whatsoever. Solid and nice to look at!"

lots of upkeep

By on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

"The main trouble with this car is not the purchase price, it's the upkeep. I have had 2 mechanics just tell me outright that they would rather not work on this car. Both said Volkswagons were too much trouble to work on. So I have to keep going to the dealership. I am pretty handy and there is nothing on this car that I can do myself, everything requires a special VW tool or part. Apparently the dealer charges $100 just to open the hood. Have had some issues with the car, the heater quit working and that alone cost over $1500.00 to repair. Had to replace all the ignition coils. Now the service engine light is on and the estimate on that was almost $700. If you try and keep up with VW scheduled maintenance you are going to be spending tons of money every year. I have had to pick and choose which things to do besides oil changes just to keep from going broke. So if you are looking at a used VW you need to consider your upkeep and any repairs because they will be much more than you would expect on other smaller sedans."

One owner car, tip top condition very low miles

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "if you like a car for freeway fast driving"

Cons: "I don't know of any"

"This car is a very nice car made in Germany and it the same care as and Audi. Fuel injection auto matic and stick shift. Pearl gray, great tires (all weather) just put in new water pump and replaced most hoses and the radiator resavor tank. Very clean and very low miles. one owneer, no somking, sound system cd rack in the rear compartment, very easy to change the cd's."

Stay Away...

By on Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Reason: too many problems

"Just sold my VW Passat GLX which I owned from the gitgo. Probably could have bought two Lexus-es with the amount of money I put into my Passat. Not reliable. Tho...I will admit it handles beautifully and is fun to drive. But...you will pay for one little problem after another. Always worried if it will make it to the destination. I'm "one and done" with VW. Sorry. Not going back!!!"

Many "common" problems

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"I've owned this car for six years and have had nothing but trouble since day one. Several years ago I was sent three or four recalls on it. I took it in and they said my car had two of the problems that the recalls were sent out for. I wish I had kept those recall letters because years later my driver side window just fell inside the door. I took it to the dealership and they said what had broke was part of a recall on my car, but there was a 7 year limit for getting it fixed. It cost $3000 to get fixed! Everytime I take my VW into a repair shop (which happens frequently) the repair man ALWAYS says "oh, that's a common problem with your car." I would like to know what isn't a common problem with it. Last time I took it to a new place and was explaining 4 or 5 problems I had and the repair man (who had not seen my car) looked up from his desk and said "so you have a VW I assume." Bottom line...Don't buy a VW."

I survived an accident...

By on Wednesday, November 21, 2007

"I shouldnt be alive. I rolled twice in this car into the woods, smashed the entire front end in, all air bags deployed, windshield shattered, it was ugly. I walked away with a bruise on my shoulder from the seat belt saving my life. I will never drive anything else besides a Volkswagen."