2000 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 494 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10
    7.0/10

Perfect for my first car

By on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable, looks cute, reliable"

Cons: "gets dirty fast, premium gas, small cupholders"

"My Dad bought the car new in 99' and passed it down to me last year. I was skeptical about learning to drive a manual, but once i got a hang of it I fell in love with how fun it is. The car is so comfortable and reliable and most importantly it is extremely fun. The car moves the way you want: its responsive and agile.It lasted 14 years before I totaled it a couple weeks ago-- a result of being an inexperienced driver-- but I'm getting another one because i love it so much. I would recommend this car to anyone!!"

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pros: "Well made and very reliable"

Cons: "Plastic electrical fittings are brittle with age."

"I've read all the reviews about how crummy this car is supposed to be. That may or may not be the overall case. All I know is that my Passat has been fantastic for 238,000 miles. I had to replace the coolant pump at 140,000 and the flex pipe at 230,000. The plastic electrical fittings seem cheap. Other than that there has been a few minor things that need attention. The antenna needs to be replaced soon. The lumbar support in the drivers seat broke at 210,000 and the ac needs to be recharged soon. Everything else works great. Lots of pep and no rust anywhere. This car still looks almost new! Amazing. Synthetic oil changes at 5000 mile intervals is a must for longevity. My goal was 200,000 miles. Now it's 250,000. I may not get there as I will be picking up a 2004 Passat with 4motion and a 6 speed manual with 80,000 miles. Maybe I'll keep both!"

Worst vehicle I've ever purchased

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable ride"

Cons: "Everything except the comfortable ride"

"I have had nothing but costly problems with this car. It stays in the shop. The repairs are never minor. The inside of the car is just falling apart. The window motors in 3 windows have broken. The car rides great but is the worst car that I have ever purchased in my life. I will never ever ever ever purchase another vw in my life. If someone was to give me a vw for free I would sell it."

Passat ist Ausgezeichnet!

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"Owned my Passat over 6 yrs. Bought used with 25K miles on it for $15,500 in 2002 (a steal in my opinion). I now have over 140,000 miles. No major issues to report. Still runs and performs exceptionally well and gets 25-27mpg's (same as the first week I owned it). I spent $3,000 in my 6 years of ownership for the routine stuff: oil changes, timing belt, hoses, tires (I'm on my 3rd pair), brakes, air filters, oxygen sensor, mass air flow sensor, and wipers. The catalytic converter, oil sludge issue, oil filter & tray, and plugs were replaced by VW dealer and covered by VW under warranty. This is a fine car! It is not the fastest sedan out there, but the Passat handles very solidly and passes other cars with ease at highway speeds. This car was built for the Autobahn and welcomes any bad weather challenges. I don't have AWD so I use snow tires (but they're not needed) in winter just to provide me with more added stability on snow and ice. This car steers and handles just like the high-end German luxury sports sedans that you would pay $40K more for. And with it's nice Euro-sedan styling, you won't feel embarrassed to hand over your keys to a valet. The reason for the bad reliability issues with VW is this: Americans mistakenly interpret a check engine light coming on as a reliablility issue, which is not what the Germans intended. My Passat has been extremely reliable. It idles as cleanly and quietly and starts as quickly since the first day. My father-in-law who is a mechanic and owns a garage agrees on VW quality and still can't beleive I've had no issues with my car at 140K miles. He said VW's reputaion and reliability issue is undeserved. From his 30+ yrs experience fixing cars, newer VW's (2000 models and newer) are superbly constructed cars of BMW, Toyota, and Honda quality. He said he would avoid the Jettas assembled in Mexico which are lemons, but would highly recommend the Passats, Golfs, and Jettas assembled in Germany. Most people get dooped and stuck with costly and perhaps unnecessary repairs because they don't get a second opinion or shop around for estimates. I would try to avoid dealers at all costs because most dealer mechanics work on commission and not with you or your car's best interests in mind. I've yet to read a VW review about reliability where their VW would not start or the engine died or stalled. I will soon buy the newer VW Passat 2.0T and will probably buy a used one just off a lease."

Money Pit

By on Monday, December 10, 2007

"Never missed a checkup. Paid over $400 for optional 40k inspection. Went in for routine oil change at 75k. They said I need $3500 in repairs. I asked if they were trying to sell me the car or repair it. Control arm, front brakes, tie rods, coolant temp sensor... the list goes on. Engine light constantly comes on. The car runs well and has some great features that are options on other vehicles, but I can't afford to keep putting money into this car. When it comes to customer service - there is none."