2000 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 494 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10
    7.0/10

Perfect for my first car

By on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable, looks cute, reliable"

Cons: "gets dirty fast, premium gas, small cupholders"

"My Dad bought the car new in 99' and passed it down to me last year. I was skeptical about learning to drive a manual, but once i got a hang of it I fell in love with how fun it is. The car is so comfortable and reliable and most importantly it is extremely fun. The car moves the way you want: its responsive and agile.It lasted 14 years before I totaled it a couple weeks ago-- a result of being an inexperienced driver-- but I'm getting another one because i love it so much. I would recommend this car to anyone!!"

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pros: "Well made and very reliable"

Cons: "Plastic electrical fittings are brittle with age."

"I've read all the reviews about how crummy this car is supposed to be. That may or may not be the overall case. All I know is that my Passat has been fantastic for 238,000 miles. I had to replace the coolant pump at 140,000 and the flex pipe at 230,000. The plastic electrical fittings seem cheap. Other than that there has been a few minor things that need attention. The antenna needs to be replaced soon. The lumbar support in the drivers seat broke at 210,000 and the ac needs to be recharged soon. Everything else works great. Lots of pep and no rust anywhere. This car still looks almost new! Amazing. Synthetic oil changes at 5000 mile intervals is a must for longevity. My goal was 200,000 miles. Now it's 250,000. I may not get there as I will be picking up a 2004 Passat with 4motion and a 6 speed manual with 80,000 miles. Maybe I'll keep both!"

NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER,BUT LOVE THE CAR

By on Monday, November 05, 2012

Pros: "DRIVES GREAT, VERY SEXY VEHICLE, AND ALWAYS STYLE"

Cons: "JUST NEEDS LEATHER AND CD PLAYER"

"I'M NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF THE VEHICLE. HOWEVER I AM THE 2ND OWNER OF IT AND I LOVE THE CAR.. I HAD TO GET SOME WORK DONE ON IT CONSIDERING THE ORIGINAL OWNER DIDN'T TAKE THE BEST CARE OF IT. VOLKSWAGEN IS SAID TO BE GREAT LONG LASTING VEHICLES AND YES I WOULD AGREE. I HAVE BEEN AND STILL AM PLEASED WITH MY VEHICLE.I WANT TO TRADE IN THE VEHICLE FOR ANOTHER VOLKSWAGEN SAME MODEL, JUST A NEWER YEAR.THIS PARTICULAR MODEL I HAVE IS AN ALL TIME U.S.MOST POPULAR MODEL.I LOVE THE COLOR,DRIVE AND MOST OF ALL I LOOK GOOD IN MY CAR... SO TO UPGRADE FOR A NEWER MODEL WOULD BE EVEN BETTER. I THINK FROM THIS HERE ON OUT I CAN ACTUALLY CONSIDER MYSELF A VOLKSWAGEN OWNER FOREVER. CAUSE THAT'S HOW HAPPY I HAVE BEEN WITH MY GOLDEN LADY.. CAN'T SAY I WOULDN'T TRADE HER FOR THE WORLD, BUT I CAN SAY I WOULDN'T TRADE VOLKSWAGEN IN FOR NO OTHER VEHICLE... I WILL BE FOREVER A VOLKSWAGEN DRIVER."

1999 Passat wagon, owned for many years

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "still looks sporty (in red!)"

Cons: "back bumper paint is fading"

"Not too big, not too small. Solid comfortable ride, good mileage, excellent sound insulation. Interior heats (or cools) well and quickly as needed. It's too bad that the Passat wagon is no longer available in the U.S. (as of 2011, I think) I plan to replace my 1999 with a younger Passat wagon before they all disappear."

171,000 miles since bought new - excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Fast, reliable, efficient, and comfortable"

Cons: "Some interior plastic is showing wear"

"I bought my 2001.5 Passat Wagon new more than 10 years ago. It is white with a beige leather interior and a 5 speed manual transmission. My Passat is mostly driven at high freeway speeds where it cruises effortlessly and clocks a solid 30 mpg on 87 octane fuel. I use non-synthetic oil and have it changed religiously every 3,000 miles. My Passat is the most reliable, comfortable car I have owned. After 150K, unscheduled maintenance is trending up and includes coil packs (2x) @ 169K , ABS control unit @ 161K, and a smog air pump relay @ 152k. Other unscheduled maintenance includes an airmass meter @ 104K, vacuum hose replaced @ 94K, CV boot @ 90K"

One owner car, tip top condition very low miles

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "if you like a car for freeway fast driving"

Cons: "I don't know of any"

"This car is a very nice car made in Germany and it the same care as and Audi. Fuel injection auto matic and stick shift. Pearl gray, great tires (all weather) just put in new water pump and replaced most hoses and the radiator resavor tank. Very clean and very low miles. one owneer, no somking, sound system cd rack in the rear compartment, very easy to change the cd's."

Stay Away...

By on Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Reason: too many problems

"Just sold my VW Passat GLX which I owned from the gitgo. Probably could have bought two Lexus-es with the amount of money I put into my Passat. Not reliable. Tho...I will admit it handles beautifully and is fun to drive. But...you will pay for one little problem after another. Always worried if it will make it to the destination. I'm "one and done" with VW. Sorry. Not going back!!!"

LOVE this car

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "luxury on a budget"

Cons: "light bulbs need frequest changing"

"We bought this car used with approx 55,000 miles and was a one owner which was well maintained. It was in fantastic shape with no scratches and very few dings. The car has every option available on it including a serious premium Monsoon stereo, leather seating, burled wood trim, turning lamps, side indicators and an auto-dimming rear view mirror. It has fog lights, heated side mirrors, heated wiper washer nozzels, auto-speed sensative wipers and it came with both summer fabric floor mats and rubber winter floor mats. We've driven this car for almost 5 years and have had very few issues with it. The quality is fantastic and the ride is very nice. The only issues we've had have been with the various light bulbs, headlights, taillights and fog lights. We seem to have to change them on a somewhat regular basis which is a little frustrating. Other than that, we've had no issues whatsoever. Solid and nice to look at!"

lots of upkeep

By on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

"The main trouble with this car is not the purchase price, it's the upkeep. I have had 2 mechanics just tell me outright that they would rather not work on this car. Both said Volkswagons were too much trouble to work on. So I have to keep going to the dealership. I am pretty handy and there is nothing on this car that I can do myself, everything requires a special VW tool or part. Apparently the dealer charges $100 just to open the hood. Have had some issues with the car, the heater quit working and that alone cost over $1500.00 to repair. Had to replace all the ignition coils. Now the service engine light is on and the estimate on that was almost $700. If you try and keep up with VW scheduled maintenance you are going to be spending tons of money every year. I have had to pick and choose which things to do besides oil changes just to keep from going broke. So if you are looking at a used VW you need to consider your upkeep and any repairs because they will be much more than you would expect on other smaller sedans."

Many "common" problems

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"I've owned this car for six years and have had nothing but trouble since day one. Several years ago I was sent three or four recalls on it. I took it in and they said my car had two of the problems that the recalls were sent out for. I wish I had kept those recall letters because years later my driver side window just fell inside the door. I took it to the dealership and they said what had broke was part of a recall on my car, but there was a 7 year limit for getting it fixed. It cost $3000 to get fixed! Everytime I take my VW into a repair shop (which happens frequently) the repair man ALWAYS says "oh, that's a common problem with your car." I would like to know what isn't a common problem with it. Last time I took it to a new place and was explaining 4 or 5 problems I had and the repair man (who had not seen my car) looked up from his desk and said "so you have a VW I assume." Bottom line...Don't buy a VW."

I survived an accident...

By on Wednesday, November 21, 2007

"I shouldnt be alive. I rolled twice in this car into the woods, smashed the entire front end in, all air bags deployed, windshield shattered, it was ugly. I walked away with a bruise on my shoulder from the seat belt saving my life. I will never drive anything else besides a Volkswagen."

I LOVE this car!

By on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pros: "Driveability, fun to drive, lots of extras"

Cons: "Cheezy cup holders"

"I have a 6 cyl. Passat and it drives like a charm. It's a manual transmission which shifts beautifully and is very fun and comfortable to drive. The only thing I would trade this for is a new Passat, but it has to be a manual transmission."

Run away

By on Friday, January 14, 2011

"had one - cost over 15k in repairs for a car that did not make 100,000 miles. Nice car when working but expensive to fix. For example, changing the timing belt & water cooler was quoted at $1800 due to the design of the car (it is a day & half job) I had the identical job done on a 1995 Camry for $580"

Reliable

By on Friday, August 21, 2009

"I own a '99 Passat V6 2.8L manual sedan and am very satisfied with it. Power and acceleration is great. I had only 2 "major" repairs; timing belt and 60k miles service (expensive at VW dealer repair dept). I skipped 30k and 90k service. I change oil every 5k, replaced brake pads, battery and tires once. It's now at 110k and still running like as i bought it in 1999!"

Needs lots of money to keep it running past 100k

By on Thursday, June 25, 2009

"I have had this car since 2002. I bought it with 30k miles on it and it now has 140k miles. It was great until it approached 100k miles. Since then it has been one problem after another. The 2000 is just not a long term keeper. Do not buy a used one unless you really love it and don't mind pouring money into it."

Above Expectations

By on Thursday, January 17, 2008

"I've just hit the 80,000 miles mark and thought retrospectively about the car. Just as I said, the car behaved better than I would have expected 8 years ago when I bought it brand new. Never let me down, though I have to mention the following: - rear brake pads&rotors replaced twice (40k+75k); - battery replaced twice - tires replaced once (I had the original Contis for 70k); - front wheel boots replaced 65k; - vacuum pump replaced 60k; - engine seals replaced 50k (V6 engine). Rock solid car, but getting bored and think about replacing it with an A6."

Great to drive, expensive to repair

By on Sunday, October 21, 2007

"I bought a 2000 VW Passat at 55,000. I has been wonderful to drive. I love the way it picks up so quickly and the handling is excellent. I have had a few EXPENSIVE repairs done though. Because many mechanics will not work on VW's, it makes it easy for the ones that do to charge a great deal. If you luck out and don't have any mechanical issues, the car is a joy. If you are not so lucky like me, it can be rough on the finances."

Good wagon, not Great

By on Friday, October 19, 2007

"We bought our Passat new in Jan 1999, and it's still going strong. Very reliable car, no maintenance other than regularly scheduled stuff, and the occasional replacing of light bulbs. I think we were lucky and got a good one. Electrical problems are happening, though. The Temperature gauge no longer works. Also, our AC went out 3 years ago, and I refuse to pay $2,000+ for a new compressor. We were very disappointed when the AC went bad. Also, parts are breaking on the inside...molding has come down around the rear windows...small stuff like that. Mechanically, our Passat has been a very sound, reliable station wagon. We had one oil leak but it was fixed for free thanks to the 10 year/100,000 mile power train warranty that came standard on the '99. We hope to keep it for well over 10 years. The reason I gave my car 3 stars for quality is due to the AC going out, and temp gauge not working, and the small things breaking on the inside. Mechanically it has been 5 star wagon. Having said all of this, I'm not sure I would buy another Passat, though. They are expensive to buy new."

A Lot For The Money Unitl Repair Time

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2007

"I purchased my 1999 VW Passat GLX V6 new in July 1999. Currently I have 51,900 miles on it. Overall I think it is a very good automobile. The only draw back is the cost of maintenance and repair. Brakes are VERY expensive to repair. It takes coolant only available at a VW dealer. I do get excellent gas mileage - 34 to 36 on the highway, 22mpg city but I am a very conservative driver. If it were not for the high cost of maintenance/repair I would purchase VW again but am leaning toward Toyota or even (gasp) Buick."

Very Costly to maintain

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"I own a 2001 Passat GLX and while the drive is great, the maintainence of the car is a nightmare. The parts and labour are just too expensive. for e.g. to replace a single light bulb cost $29/- . Routine maintainence items (other then oil change - $80/-) typically cost in excess of $600/-. Also my car has done only 67,000 miles and already many major parts are breaking down (engine mounts, radiator leaks etc.)and I am looking at expenses in excess of $3000/- to get them all fixed. I have always done all the routine maintaince and service as recommended by VW, however I still have such a steep repair bill. I cannot wait to get rid of it and will strongly recommend against buying a VW."

This vehicle has been a huge expence to maintain.

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "Its cute"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain"

"I love the appearance of the body, but it has been extremely expensive to maintain."

VW Passat, best at: safety, reliability, comfort

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "Safety, fuel efficiency, room, ride."

Cons: "Stereo can sometimes loose signal."

"Owned car for 120,00 of it's 190,000 miles. Very well built, still original exhaust, clutch, engine & transmission (5-spd). Car still gets 30 MPG, does not burn or leak oil. Still fast and smooth. Never had a car (American or foreign) that is better at everything it does that this car. It is very safe, with airbags up front, and sides, as well as torso bags in seats. Looks as it did when new, a testament to how well they are put together, and the quality of the materials inside. Couldn't be happier with its overall performance."

Sporty and economical, drives like a gocart

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Lots of power, fun to drive, reliable."

Cons: "Check engine lights"

"I have owned this car since day one. 165,000 miles now 12 years later, original clutch! For some reason parts have come way down in price, so a good used vehicle to own. The check engine lights are always on on these cars, you need to service the emissions tubing and system regularly. If you do not, it may cause oil leaks on the engine which, on the V6 engines can be near impossible to fix without major dissasembly of the entire engine! This car has a ton of pep even at 165k, good on gas with the 4 cyl turbo. Easy clutch to drive. I would buy another one in a heartbeat."

Comfortable/smooth ride

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Reason: Expensive/Time-consuming Maintenance

Pros: "Comfortable ride, Good MPG, does well in Ice/Snow"

Cons: "Devours oil, repairs are expensive/time consuming"

"I bought this car in 2007, my second vehicle ever, and it had about 70k on it. I lived in an area where snow/ice and high winds were an everyday occurance and this car held it's own like a champ. Smooth comfortable ride, heated leather interior, Heat/AC always worked, 0 mechanical/engine problems. Car would always start up, even if it was -30 Fahrenheit outside. My maintenance (oil, tires, pressure, fluids, etc.) were always up to date. Bad news is, once I hit the 100k mark, the car simply started falling apart everywhere. My Turbo began burning 2 quarts of oil a week, started having misfires at startup, OEM shocks/struts literally started to decay/rust and fall off, all kinds of sensors began failing, and a bunch of other annoying things here and there that can be attributed to the age of the car. I've spent many free weekends hunting down spare parts and fixing the Passat myself, only to drive 5k-10k miles and have another mysterious age-related problem creep up. I finally bit the bullet and sold it when I hit 150k. After spending almost $1500 on parts alone and many lonely weeends tinkering with this car(which is no joke to repair), the time spent repairing the vehicle vs. the few weeks I got to drive it before it broke again for something unrelated to what I had just repaired wasn't worth the hassle anymore. All in all, car was fun at first, most comfy ride I've ever driven, but after the 100k mark, you're entering a world of hurt ;)."

Nice car but...

By on Saturday, August 22, 2009

"the car needs too many repairs. When I bought it at 76,000 miles it was great. However, now with 91,000 the car has needed many major repairs costing me over $2000 in 4 months with many more to come I'm sure. Very fun car to drive, especially the v6 5speed. However with all the repairs lately, it has me thinking that selling it may be the best more I could make."