1999 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 482 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10
    7.0/10
Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Previous | 1 ... 94 95 96 97 | Next

Unreliable 'til the end

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Lots of mechanical problems. I serviced the car dozens of times and flaky service departments spent multiple attempts (and $) trying to fix problems and rarely gave proper diagnoses. Numerous emissions problems, service light was always on, but the car was still a blast to drive. The turbo made acceleration fun and easy (besides the big lag), and engine felt pretty responsive for an affordable 4 cyl."

Best Car Ever

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I have owned this car for 7 years, and it has been great. I've kept up the 5,000 mile maintenance and so have had things fixed "before" there was a problem. Nothing unreasonable so far. I can't imagine another car having this kind of reliability. Before this, I had been a loyal Honda owner (for about 16 years), but no more. Now it's VW Passat all the way."

2001.5 GLS Passat

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I'm the original owner on this one and my first VW. I would purchase this car again in a heartbeat although I would get the wagon this time as I have 2 dogs and alot of stuff and sedan's just don't work that well for that. Haven't had a problem that wasn't reasonable to fix or under warranty. Just a flat out great car. I plan on running it into the ground. Stinker is the premium gas requirement though but still worth the vehicle."

A great car- but always breaking

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I have had my Passat for almost 2 years. It is a very comfortable ride, pretty good on gas and fast acceleration. However, I have spent thousands of dollars fixing it- for major and minor problems. It was fine until it hit about 85,000 miles, and it is at 100,000 now and still continuing to have problems. I have heard from several people that Volkswagons tend to have a lot of problems around 100,000 miles. I would say that is true. But overall a good car. I would not recommend fixing it at a VW dealer- they are not the best at service. I found an independent mechanic that specializes in VW's. It is a lot less expensive"

My Vee Dub is Awesome

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"This is my first real car (the first one I've paid for), and I've enjoyed my five-year experience with it. The V6 is strong, and the steering is terrific. It still looks great on the road today, and the interior has held up very well. I'm glad I didn't follow my friends and get another Honda (which is another awesome car). I love that it's a bit different. And, my friends love the styling and the comfort on road trips. The stereo can kick out some jams as well. Reliability has been pretty solid with a few maintenance needs, but I will always love my "Dubby!""

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25