1999 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 494 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10
    7.0/10

LOVE this car

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pros: "luxury on a budget"

Cons: "light bulbs need frequest changing"

"We bought this car used with approx 55,000 miles and was a one owner which was well maintained. It was in fantastic shape with no scratches and very few dings. The car has every option available on it including a serious premium Monsoon stereo, leather seating, burled wood trim, turning lamps, side indicators and an auto-dimming rear view mirror. It has fog lights, heated side mirrors, heated wiper washer nozzels, auto-speed sensative wipers and it came with both summer fabric floor mats and rubber winter floor mats. We've driven this car for almost 5 years and have had very few issues with it. The quality is fantastic and the ride is very nice. The only issues we've had have been with the various light bulbs, headlights, taillights and fog lights. We seem to have to change them on a somewhat regular basis which is a little frustrating. Other than that, we've had no issues whatsoever. Solid and nice to look at!"

lots of upkeep

By on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

"The main trouble with this car is not the purchase price, it's the upkeep. I have had 2 mechanics just tell me outright that they would rather not work on this car. Both said Volkswagons were too much trouble to work on. So I have to keep going to the dealership. I am pretty handy and there is nothing on this car that I can do myself, everything requires a special VW tool or part. Apparently the dealer charges $100 just to open the hood. Have had some issues with the car, the heater quit working and that alone cost over $1500.00 to repair. Had to replace all the ignition coils. Now the service engine light is on and the estimate on that was almost $700. If you try and keep up with VW scheduled maintenance you are going to be spending tons of money every year. I have had to pick and choose which things to do besides oil changes just to keep from going broke. So if you are looking at a used VW you need to consider your upkeep and any repairs because they will be much more than you would expect on other smaller sedans."

Many "common" problems

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"I've owned this car for six years and have had nothing but trouble since day one. Several years ago I was sent three or four recalls on it. I took it in and they said my car had two of the problems that the recalls were sent out for. I wish I had kept those recall letters because years later my driver side window just fell inside the door. I took it to the dealership and they said what had broke was part of a recall on my car, but there was a 7 year limit for getting it fixed. It cost $3000 to get fixed! Everytime I take my VW into a repair shop (which happens frequently) the repair man ALWAYS says "oh, that's a common problem with your car." I would like to know what isn't a common problem with it. Last time I took it to a new place and was explaining 4 or 5 problems I had and the repair man (who had not seen my car) looked up from his desk and said "so you have a VW I assume." Bottom line...Don't buy a VW."

I survived an accident...

By on Wednesday, November 21, 2007

"I shouldnt be alive. I rolled twice in this car into the woods, smashed the entire front end in, all air bags deployed, windshield shattered, it was ugly. I walked away with a bruise on my shoulder from the seat belt saving my life. I will never drive anything else besides a Volkswagen."

I LOVE this car!

By on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pros: "Driveability, fun to drive, lots of extras"

Cons: "Cheezy cup holders"

"I have a 6 cyl. Passat and it drives like a charm. It's a manual transmission which shifts beautifully and is very fun and comfortable to drive. The only thing I would trade this for is a new Passat, but it has to be a manual transmission."