1999 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 484 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.3/10
    7.0/10

Best car EVER!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Reason: expensive upkeep

Pros: "Heated leather seats, stereo system, reliability"

Cons: "none if you have money to invest as it gets older"

"I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Passat.. I hate to see it go but I needed something new as I am a single girl and don't have the ability to work on it, nor do I know anybody that could help me with the upkeep. I will TRULY miss my car.. someday I will definitely buy another VW Passat!! Luxurious!!"

fair all around until last week (only 70k Miles)

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "it was my wifes trophy from her departed Mom."

Cons: "I'm not sure that I would like it once if was repa"

"my wife wreck this care, damage 6,342.06 would you say junk or keep and repair?"

Love this Car

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "great drive"

Cons: "tight fit for family of 5!"

"I love this car and Volkswagon is an excellant brand. Only thing, three kids is a tight fit. Great choice for family of 4 without wanting to grow! Excellant driving, gas and smooth, with get up an go! Like I said Love it!"

lasted 10 months

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Reason: blown engine

Pros: "NOTHING"

Cons: "MONEY PIT, NO POWER, ENGINE BLEW"

"3 WORDS...PEICE OF CACA...HAD THIS CAR 10 MONTHS...2 WEEKS INTO IT ENGINE LITE CAME ON....ALL DIAGNOSIS POINTED TO NO GAS...MACANIC SAID FAULTY SENSOR....THEN OIL LITE BLINKING AND ALARM SOUNDING, MECANIC SAID SENDING UNIT , REPLACED AND LITE STILL ON...CAR DIED ON RODE WANTED $6000 TO REPLACE ENGINE....SO I TOOK IT TO THE JUNK YARD THAT GAVE ME $275....I ALSO HAD TO REPLACE STARTER FOR $500 IN THE 10 MONTHS AND BATTERY...RUN DONT WALK FROM THIS CAR...YOU WERE WARNED"

One owner car, tip top condition very low miles

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "if you like a car for freeway fast driving"

Cons: "I don't know of any"

"This car is a very nice car made in Germany and it the same care as and Audi. Fuel injection auto matic and stick shift. Pearl gray, great tires (all weather) just put in new water pump and replaced most hoses and the radiator resavor tank. Very clean and very low miles. one owneer, no somking, sound system cd rack in the rear compartment, very easy to change the cd's."

Trusted Friend

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "Solid, dependable"

"Bought car new 14 years ago. Really love it. Although it's a back up car now, it has been very dependable and is still enjoyable to drive. Have local garage that works primarily with VWs and keeps it going when service needed. I might add they are very honest and affordable which keeps the cost of ownership reasonable. We have done service as needed but not obsessively. This car has been the best vehicle value wise that I have ever owned. If you are going to buy this or any older vehicle review the service records before you buy and have a good local garage check the car out first."

1999 PASSATT - YOU SHOULD JUNK IT NOW

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

"THREE ENGINE TIMING BELTS AND ENGINE DAMMAGE FOR A TOTAL COST OF REPAIRS, TOWING, RENTAL CARS, HAVING TO BUY ANOTHER CAR FOR SON, $45,750. ANOTHER VW???? NEVER!"

Great to drive until you need repairs.

By on Friday, November 29, 2013

Pros: "engine, cargo space, gas mileage"

Cons: "Maitenance cost, electrical problems, cup holders"

"Great gas mileage but maintenance cost for everything is too high. Cup holders can only hold one very obscure cup size. Electronics started failing out of nowhere. Turn signals freeze up, window doesn't drop, cigarette lighter fuse died, back door locks can only be open from the inside and the front doors sometimes can't even lock. It was great for a cheap, first, college student car but I put more money into repairs and maintenance than I actually spent on the car."

Perfect for my first car

By on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable, looks cute, reliable"

Cons: "gets dirty fast, premium gas, small cupholders"

"My Dad bought the car new in 99' and passed it down to me last year. I was skeptical about learning to drive a manual, but once i got a hang of it I fell in love with how fun it is. The car is so comfortable and reliable and most importantly it is extremely fun. The car moves the way you want: its responsive and agile.It lasted 14 years before I totaled it a couple weeks ago-- a result of being an inexperienced driver-- but I'm getting another one because i love it so much. I would recommend this car to anyone!!"

Best vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "NO RUST, solid build and LOOOOONG LIFE."

Cons: "Slap the creator of the cupholders."

"Without a doubt the best, most dependable, fun to drive, and all around elegant vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of driving. My only regret is that the newer 2013-2014 VW Passat does not leave me with the same feeling. This was one of those vehicles that you are actually sad to see it go, because you will not see it again. Solid body, with a styling that was attractive inside and out."

awesome

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

"I love this car.... best car I've ever had!!!!"

Drives great and ages well

By on Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pros: "very comfortable, handles well, stylish,"

Cons: "the occasional walloping of a repair bill"

"I've owned my Passat for 13+ years now, and I still love it. I hope it keeps going for another 13+. For this car, it seems that people generally get either a very reliable one or a complete lemon. Thankfully I apparently bought one of the reliable ones. I have the V6 engine, and I've had only one massive repair bill at around 70k, when when the car died when oil leaked through the valve gaskets and flooded the spark plugs, plus I also then replaced the timing belt, water pump, etc (its a single package). Audi V6s get the same issue with leaky gaskets. Otherwise, besides a few minor-ish things through the years, like the O2 sensor, ball joints, both front turn signals falling out(!), and routine maintenance, I really haven't had any issues or complaints. The car handles great and is fun to drive, and can take turns fast when downshifting into them. I still get up to 31mpg on the freeway, and about 22ish city. It's important on these engines to use premium gas, or else they can get damaged with a sludgy buildup. The interior is comfortable and classy with wood trim and leather and nice textured materials, and has held up well. Granted, I'm very gentle on it, and give it a full detailing each year. I keep the car pretty immaculate, and it still looks like new, inside and out. The styling was really ahead of its time, and for a 14yr old car it looks amazingly not-outdated, and some of my less car-savvy friends guess it's only 4-5 years old. For the price that these can be found for nowadays, and if you can find one of the well cared for and reliable ones, it's really a great value."

great car

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "fast, good on gas, reliable, big cargo, family car"

Cons: "interior design could have been better"

"i bought this car for $3,000. it had some high miles on it and it wasn't really taken care of very well, but it was a great buy. i had to fix a few things but overall, it's very reliable and comfortable. there are a few interior inconveniences like cup holder placements, but i love my car!"

When its working, its the greatest of all time.

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "Not boring, fully loaded with options, comfortable"

Cons: "High Maintenance, High parts cost, headache"

"When you buy a vw/audi you should know the parts aren't cheap if you choose the dealer, whether its you having to buy the part that day (no choice online takes times) or you need to have them service something no other shop can, its pricey. I cannot complain about anything else minus the stuff that breaks on these cars it is all the same stuff very common problems. Valve cover gaskets, mass air flow sensors, axles, ripped leather seats, vacuum hoses, secondary airpumps, on audi a4/passat 1.8T's the way the oil pan is you have to change the oil pickup tube (take off the oil pan) because the netting in there gets sludged up over time etc. The car is an excellent daily driver, it has plenty of pick up, comfortable (when axles, control arms, tie rods, spring and struts are okay) plus has appeal past a boring accord or camry. They might be more reliable but to me they are boring. The passat is for a person who does not mind tinkering here and there when they have an issue that pops up randomly because it will. Any vw/audi is like that in my opinion from 96+ a4 a6 a8 passat jetta gti golf etc. The car will not be afraid to give you christmas lights on the dash board for the smallest issue and it might not even be what you think. For an automatic sometimes you might feel like your transmission is bad, but its just a bad mass air flow sensor instead. My personal vehicle is in great shape, sounds healthy even at high mileage. You do the maintenance, they run forever. It has leather, heated seats, sunroof, power windows, locks, cruise control and the manual transmission gives the car more flare and life. Already have taken care of some of the common issues with these cars so mines decent."

Great value certainly got our money's worth

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

"After 13 years and a 193000 miles, still getting 30 mpg and haven't endured any major maintenance or repair costs. Body still in great shape, no rust . Couldn't be happier with the car's overall performance over the years. A couple of not so great points would be the placement of the cup holders , near the gearshift and the length of time it takes for the car to cool off in the summer and warm in the winter."

I really like VW and their simple styling.

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, not a cushy US car,"

Cons: "not as quiet as I'd like"

"I'd buy another one tomorrow, if used BMWs weren't so pletiful and affordable."

fun to drive for all ages

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "very dependable has class every thing one needs"

Cons: "I think its 90% perfect"

"a very dependable car with every high end features a ae.g.sunroof heated front seat leather seats very clean inside. goodpaint kept in garage power windows overall a very attractive car."

never buy a turbo vw

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Reason: was only running on 3 of 4 cylinders, window was broken, parts too expensive

"this car gave me so many problems."

I LOVE this car!

By on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pros: "Driveability, fun to drive, lots of extras"

Cons: "Cheezy cup holders"

"I have a 6 cyl. Passat and it drives like a charm. It's a manual transmission which shifts beautifully and is very fun and comfortable to drive. The only thing I would trade this for is a new Passat, but it has to be a manual transmission."

Reliable, luxurious and fun

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "Nice to drive, nice ride, great stereo, reliable"

Cons: "Because all wheel drive, the gas mileage not great"

"Purchased this car when it was already 4 years old, & I've driven it over 7 years; and now has 118,000 miles. It's been a reliable & very comfortable car. It drives nice & never needs more than the standards, like oil change, tires, battery, and just recently a radiator. At 100,000 did required maintenance, to keep this baby going. Electrical, AC, power windows, mirrors, moonroof, power & heated seats, all still work. Great Monsoon stereo system, no speaker issues. Recently found out need a valve cover gasket & air flow selonoid; but what can one expect from a 12 year old car! This car has been excellent,and may even consider a 2013."

This vehicle has been a huge expence to maintain.

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Pros: "Its cute"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain"

"I love the appearance of the body, but it has been extremely expensive to maintain."

Great family car for the snow!

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pros: "Great quality, fun to drive, comfortable."

Cons: "lacks power."

"I purchased my Passat two years ago, and have been very happy with it. I got it mainly due to the 4Motion AWD... the great quality of the interior was a added plus. The leather seats are very comfortable, even on 3 day long driving trips with the kids and dogs. Engine is great, although it lacks the "pep" I was expecting from a german car. The car handles wonderfully on mountain roads and in the city. Gas mileage is around 20mpg with mainly driving around town and on highways. I live where it snows A LOT in the winter, and the 4Motion on the Passat is wonderful in the snow. The ground clearance isn't the best... but it still plows through the deep snow with no problems. Also there is no pull when one tire hits deep water or slush. I've had problems with the other cars pulling hard which is very scarry. But in this car you can barely feel that it has gone through anything. My only complaint is the steering wheel doesn't lower enough for me. Even when I put the seat up as high as it is comfortable, the steering wheel is still to high. Although this is mostly important to me due to the fact that I have a bad neck and having my hands/arms in a higher position can give me headaches."

Time Bomb.

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Reason: Major Oil Leak. Bad Cat. Converters.

Pros: "Looks cute and comfy."

Cons: "HORRIBLE"

"I have only owned this car for 6 months and I have put over 2,000 $ worth of work into it. I have been to 4 different mechanics that were unable to "fix" the oil leak. In the past week it seems like the entire vehicle is literally falling apart. DO NOT BUY A PASSAT!!!"

NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER,BUT LOVE THE CAR

By on Monday, November 05, 2012

Pros: "DRIVES GREAT, VERY SEXY VEHICLE, AND ALWAYS STYLE"

Cons: "JUST NEEDS LEATHER AND CD PLAYER"

"I'M NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF THE VEHICLE. HOWEVER I AM THE 2ND OWNER OF IT AND I LOVE THE CAR.. I HAD TO GET SOME WORK DONE ON IT CONSIDERING THE ORIGINAL OWNER DIDN'T TAKE THE BEST CARE OF IT. VOLKSWAGEN IS SAID TO BE GREAT LONG LASTING VEHICLES AND YES I WOULD AGREE. I HAVE BEEN AND STILL AM PLEASED WITH MY VEHICLE.I WANT TO TRADE IN THE VEHICLE FOR ANOTHER VOLKSWAGEN SAME MODEL, JUST A NEWER YEAR.THIS PARTICULAR MODEL I HAVE IS AN ALL TIME U.S.MOST POPULAR MODEL.I LOVE THE COLOR,DRIVE AND MOST OF ALL I LOOK GOOD IN MY CAR... SO TO UPGRADE FOR A NEWER MODEL WOULD BE EVEN BETTER. I THINK FROM THIS HERE ON OUT I CAN ACTUALLY CONSIDER MYSELF A VOLKSWAGEN OWNER FOREVER. CAUSE THAT'S HOW HAPPY I HAVE BEEN WITH MY GOLDEN LADY.. CAN'T SAY I WOULDN'T TRADE HER FOR THE WORLD, BUT I CAN SAY I WOULDN'T TRADE VOLKSWAGEN IN FOR NO OTHER VEHICLE... I WILL BE FOREVER A VOLKSWAGEN DRIVER."

1999 Passat wagon, owned for many years

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "still looks sporty (in red!)"

Cons: "back bumper paint is fading"

"Not too big, not too small. Solid comfortable ride, good mileage, excellent sound insulation. Interior heats (or cools) well and quickly as needed. It's too bad that the Passat wagon is no longer available in the U.S. (as of 2011, I think) I plan to replace my 1999 with a younger Passat wagon before they all disappear."

See if you qualify for