1999 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 491 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.4/10
    7.0/10

LEMON

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Every other month since I bought this car two years ago I have had to have something repaired, not minor, but major repairs. On top of car payment, I have put at least $3,000 into fixing this car. I thought Volkswagens were supposed to be good cars, but I was wrong. The people who gave it a good review were just lucky. I echo many of the unhappy customers who have reported. This car is NOT WORTH THE MONEY YOU PAY FOR IT, AND WILL COST YOU MUCH MUCH MORE IN THE FUTURE!! WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER VOLKSWAGEN!!!!"

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"I bought my black Passat wagon used in 2003. There were a few minor problems with the engine. Just take my advice, if there is a mechanical problem with the car, DO NOT take it to a small time mechanic, either take it to a dealer, or bring it to a shop that specializes in VW. Its great on gas, and the turbo has just the right amount of pep. Its a wondeful highway car and after 4 years of ownership, im glad I bought my 'V Dubya'."

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"I would never buy another Volkswagen again. I've have had my 2001 Passat 4-motion for two months and have had three major problems in 2000 miles. I'm going to fix it and take it to the Volkswagen dealer and trade for a Toyota Camry. Then can have the lemon."

problem after problem

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"I bought this car in 2003. It had 20000 miles on it. The car was a blast to drive and ran great except for a problem with the driver side door lock malfunctioning and the driver seat seatbelt malfunctioning as well. Besides these problems there was nothing majorly wrong with the car until it reached about 40000 miles. At 40k both front cv boots went out at the same time. This was about $700. Next at about 45k the abs control module went out. $2200. At around 50k the power steering system developed a leak. $800 later, the problem is still not resolved. Around the same time the transmission started acting up. It shifts very rough from 3rd to 2nd. This problem was also unresolved after numerous trips to the dealer and various repair shops and about $2000 in "repairs". At 70000 the water pump went out. This was another $700. At 75000 miles the check engine light came on. Both of the catalytic converters went out. This was about $1500 in repairs. I was also never able to get the seat belt of driver side door lock repaired. This car is only 6 years old and has only 80,000 miles on it. I have dumped way too much money into a car this new and because I bought it from a private party, the car is not under warranty. The car is definitely very well equipped with a sun roof, auto dimming rear view mirror, heated leather seats, traction control...the list goes on. The car is very fun to drive and that's why I kept it for so long hoping that it would be the last of the problems. It has lots of power is very fast. The gas mileage is ok at about 20 mpg hwy but you have to run premium gas in it so gas costs get very expensive. In the city the car averages about 8-15 mpg (8 in SF where I live). I am getting rid of this car before anything else goes out and getting a Toyota. I would gladly give up all the bells and whistles for a basic reliable car that I don't have dump thousands of dollars into every year."

not like the old VW

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"we purchased this car with expectations of our past vlolkswagaon experiences, we have been very disappoined in the pre 100K miles maintenance, problems and expense."