1998 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 497 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.4/10
    7.0/10

Perfect for my first car

By on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable, looks cute, reliable"

Cons: "gets dirty fast, premium gas, small cupholders"

"My Dad bought the car new in 99' and passed it down to me last year. I was skeptical about learning to drive a manual, but once i got a hang of it I fell in love with how fun it is. The car is so comfortable and reliable and most importantly it is extremely fun. The car moves the way you want: its responsive and agile.It lasted 14 years before I totaled it a couple weeks ago-- a result of being an inexperienced driver-- but I'm getting another one because i love it so much. I would recommend this car to anyone!!"

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pros: "Well made and very reliable"

Cons: "Plastic electrical fittings are brittle with age."

"I've read all the reviews about how crummy this car is supposed to be. That may or may not be the overall case. All I know is that my Passat has been fantastic for 238,000 miles. I had to replace the coolant pump at 140,000 and the flex pipe at 230,000. The plastic electrical fittings seem cheap. Other than that there has been a few minor things that need attention. The antenna needs to be replaced soon. The lumbar support in the drivers seat broke at 210,000 and the ac needs to be recharged soon. Everything else works great. Lots of pep and no rust anywhere. This car still looks almost new! Amazing. Synthetic oil changes at 5000 mile intervals is a must for longevity. My goal was 200,000 miles. Now it's 250,000. I may not get there as I will be picking up a 2004 Passat with 4motion and a 6 speed manual with 80,000 miles. Maybe I'll keep both!"

lots of upkeep

By on Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"The main trouble with this car is not the purchase price, it's the upkeep. I have had 2 mechanics just tell me outright that they would rather not work on this car. Both said Volkswagons were too much trouble to work on. So I have to keep going to the dealership. I am pretty handy and there is nothing on this car that I can do myself, everything requires a special VW tool or part. Apparently the dealer charges $100 just to open the hood. Have had some issues with the car, the heater quit working and that alone cost over $1500.00 to repair. Had to replace all the ignition coils. Now the service engine light is on and the estimate on that was almost $700. If you try and keep up with VW scheduled maintenance you are going to be spending tons of money every year. I have had to pick and choose which things to do besides oil changes just to keep from going broke. So if you are looking at a used VW you need to consider your upkeep and any repairs because they will be much more than you would expect on other smaller sedans."

171,000 miles since bought new - excellent vehicle

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Fast, reliable, efficient, and comfortable"

Cons: "Some interior plastic is showing wear"

"I bought my 2001.5 Passat Wagon new more than 10 years ago. It is white with a beige leather interior and a 5 speed manual transmission. My Passat is mostly driven at high freeway speeds where it cruises effortlessly and clocks a solid 30 mpg on 87 octane fuel. I use non-synthetic oil and have it changed religiously every 3,000 miles. My Passat is the most reliable, comfortable car I have owned. After 150K, unscheduled maintenance is trending up and includes coil packs (2x) @ 169K , ABS control unit @ 161K, and a smog air pump relay @ 152k. Other unscheduled maintenance includes an airmass meter @ 104K, vacuum hose replaced @ 94K, CV boot @ 90K"

A Lot For The Money Unitl Repair Time

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2007

"I purchased my 1999 VW Passat GLX V6 new in July 1999. Currently I have 51,900 miles on it. Overall I think it is a very good automobile. The only draw back is the cost of maintenance and repair. Brakes are VERY expensive to repair. It takes coolant only available at a VW dealer. I do get excellent gas mileage - 34 to 36 on the highway, 22mpg city but I am a very conservative driver. If it were not for the high cost of maintenance/repair I would purchase VW again but am leaning toward Toyota or even (gasp) Buick."