1998 Volkswagen Passat

6.9

Based on 490 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

7.3/10
    7.4/10
    7.0/10

engine light stays on

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Pros: "great runner for city driving"

Cons: "needs new heater and front defroster does not work"

"The engine lights stays on and the heater is not working or front defroster, needs a set of tie rods."

Solid, comfortable, well loaded car.

By on Sunday, November 09, 2014

Pros: "Good handling, comfortable, usable space, power."

Cons: "Cup holder is bad, maintenance can be difficult."

"Bought used and with lots of miles on it, but the car is still fantastic 14 years after it was built. The V6 engine is the same one as in the Audi A4 and A6, and has easily withstood time. With the v6, there is enough power for any situation. Steering is very responsive and feels direct and mechanical. The car's design aged very well, and the interior is still appealing. The ride and seats are comfortable, and driving it is both easy and satisfying. Using it for long (8+ hour) trips is no problem."

This has been a reliable and fun car to own.

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Good price, fun to drive"

Cons: "No cup holders, leather seats showing some wear"

"I love my 1999 Passat. I hate to part with it, but because I am retired, my husband and I are downsizing to one car. I have owned this car for 14 years, and it has always been a reliable and fun car to drive. Because it is 15 years old, the car's clear coat has some minor defects. I have always babied the car to avoid dings and scratches, but recently go some scratches on the lower front bumper. Overall, no major dings or scratches."

I loved this car. Great to drive.

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, fun to drive"

Cons: "on the expensive side to maintain"

"I have a 1999 Passat V-6. One of the other reviews mentions that the car is on the expensive side to maintain. True. But, I did what needed to be done and the car never let me down. It was a workingman's A-6 - same engine, drivetrain, transmission, suspension. I've bought a new car and it is time to let the Passat go. The new one isn't nearly as much fun to drive."

One of my all time favorite cars!

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

Pros: "Really good utility and great visibility."

Cons: "Air conditioning was not as robust as it could be."

"It hooked me on "german engineering." Really nice handling, good quality inside and out, features that I still don't see on many cars (like opening the driver's door with my key and the drivers seat and side windows automatically adjust to my saved position - for me and a second driver!). All Wheel Drive is nice not just on ice and snow, but feels like all the time (it may affect mileage a tiny bit). Quiet and still going. When it finally "quits" this one deserves a decent burial at the side of the road…."

Great car!

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pros: "great power, great mpg, still looks stylish"

Cons: "only a cassette deck"

"I love this car. It has so much energy (likely because I have the turbo engine and a manual transmission) and gets amazing gas mileage (got 32 mpg for an 1800 mile trip and generally get 29 in the city). Plus, it does not look dated even though it is now over a decade old. One of my favorite parts is the computer that tells you the stats on your driving. I read somewhere, after getting it, that I got a good one because it was one of the ones actually made in Germany."

Best car EVER!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Reason: expensive upkeep

Pros: "Heated leather seats, stereo system, reliability"

Cons: "none if you have money to invest as it gets older"

"I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Passat.. I hate to see it go but I needed something new as I am a single girl and don't have the ability to work on it, nor do I know anybody that could help me with the upkeep. I will TRULY miss my car.. someday I will definitely buy another VW Passat!! Luxurious!!"

fair all around until last week (only 70k Miles)

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "it was my wifes trophy from her departed Mom."

Cons: "I'm not sure that I would like it once if was repa"

"my wife wreck this care, damage 6,342.06 would you say junk or keep and repair?"

Love this Car

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "great drive"

Cons: "tight fit for family of 5!"

"I love this car and Volkswagon is an excellant brand. Only thing, three kids is a tight fit. Great choice for family of 4 without wanting to grow! Excellant driving, gas and smooth, with get up an go! Like I said Love it!"

lasted 10 months

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Reason: blown engine

Pros: "NOTHING"

Cons: "MONEY PIT, NO POWER, ENGINE BLEW"

"3 WORDS...PEICE OF CACA...HAD THIS CAR 10 MONTHS...2 WEEKS INTO IT ENGINE LITE CAME ON....ALL DIAGNOSIS POINTED TO NO GAS...MACANIC SAID FAULTY SENSOR....THEN OIL LITE BLINKING AND ALARM SOUNDING, MECANIC SAID SENDING UNIT , REPLACED AND LITE STILL ON...CAR DIED ON RODE WANTED $6000 TO REPLACE ENGINE....SO I TOOK IT TO THE JUNK YARD THAT GAVE ME $275....I ALSO HAD TO REPLACE STARTER FOR $500 IN THE 10 MONTHS AND BATTERY...RUN DONT WALK FROM THIS CAR...YOU WERE WARNED"

One owner car, tip top condition very low miles

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "if you like a car for freeway fast driving"

Cons: "I don't know of any"

"This car is a very nice car made in Germany and it the same care as and Audi. Fuel injection auto matic and stick shift. Pearl gray, great tires (all weather) just put in new water pump and replaced most hoses and the radiator resavor tank. Very clean and very low miles. one owneer, no somking, sound system cd rack in the rear compartment, very easy to change the cd's."

Trusted Friend

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "Solid, dependable"

"Bought car new 14 years ago. Really love it. Although it's a back up car now, it has been very dependable and is still enjoyable to drive. Have local garage that works primarily with VWs and keeps it going when service needed. I might add they are very honest and affordable which keeps the cost of ownership reasonable. We have done service as needed but not obsessively. This car has been the best vehicle value wise that I have ever owned. If you are going to buy this or any older vehicle review the service records before you buy and have a good local garage check the car out first."

1999 PASSATT - YOU SHOULD JUNK IT NOW

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

"THREE ENGINE TIMING BELTS AND ENGINE DAMMAGE FOR A TOTAL COST OF REPAIRS, TOWING, RENTAL CARS, HAVING TO BUY ANOTHER CAR FOR SON, $45,750. ANOTHER VW???? NEVER!"

Great to drive until you need repairs.

By on Friday, November 29, 2013

Pros: "engine, cargo space, gas mileage"

Cons: "Maitenance cost, electrical problems, cup holders"

"Great gas mileage but maintenance cost for everything is too high. Cup holders can only hold one very obscure cup size. Electronics started failing out of nowhere. Turn signals freeze up, window doesn't drop, cigarette lighter fuse died, back door locks can only be open from the inside and the front doors sometimes can't even lock. It was great for a cheap, first, college student car but I put more money into repairs and maintenance than I actually spent on the car."

Perfect for my first car

By on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable, looks cute, reliable"

Cons: "gets dirty fast, premium gas, small cupholders"

"My Dad bought the car new in 99' and passed it down to me last year. I was skeptical about learning to drive a manual, but once i got a hang of it I fell in love with how fun it is. The car is so comfortable and reliable and most importantly it is extremely fun. The car moves the way you want: its responsive and agile.It lasted 14 years before I totaled it a couple weeks ago-- a result of being an inexperienced driver-- but I'm getting another one because i love it so much. I would recommend this car to anyone!!"

Best vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "NO RUST, solid build and LOOOOONG LIFE."

Cons: "Slap the creator of the cupholders."

"Without a doubt the best, most dependable, fun to drive, and all around elegant vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of driving. My only regret is that the newer 2013-2014 VW Passat does not leave me with the same feeling. This was one of those vehicles that you are actually sad to see it go, because you will not see it again. Solid body, with a styling that was attractive inside and out."

awesome

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

"I love this car.... best car I've ever had!!!!"

Drives great and ages well

By on Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pros: "very comfortable, handles well, stylish,"

Cons: "the occasional walloping of a repair bill"

"I've owned my Passat for 13+ years now, and I still love it. I hope it keeps going for another 13+. For this car, it seems that people generally get either a very reliable one or a complete lemon. Thankfully I apparently bought one of the reliable ones. I have the V6 engine, and I've had only one massive repair bill at around 70k, when when the car died when oil leaked through the valve gaskets and flooded the spark plugs, plus I also then replaced the timing belt, water pump, etc (its a single package). Audi V6s get the same issue with leaky gaskets. Otherwise, besides a few minor-ish things through the years, like the O2 sensor, ball joints, both front turn signals falling out(!), and routine maintenance, I really haven't had any issues or complaints. The car handles great and is fun to drive, and can take turns fast when downshifting into them. I still get up to 31mpg on the freeway, and about 22ish city. It's important on these engines to use premium gas, or else they can get damaged with a sludgy buildup. The interior is comfortable and classy with wood trim and leather and nice textured materials, and has held up well. Granted, I'm very gentle on it, and give it a full detailing each year. I keep the car pretty immaculate, and it still looks like new, inside and out. The styling was really ahead of its time, and for a 14yr old car it looks amazingly not-outdated, and some of my less car-savvy friends guess it's only 4-5 years old. For the price that these can be found for nowadays, and if you can find one of the well cared for and reliable ones, it's really a great value."

great car

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "fast, good on gas, reliable, big cargo, family car"

Cons: "interior design could have been better"

"i bought this car for $3,000. it had some high miles on it and it wasn't really taken care of very well, but it was a great buy. i had to fix a few things but overall, it's very reliable and comfortable. there are a few interior inconveniences like cup holder placements, but i love my car!"

When its working, its the greatest of all time.

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "Not boring, fully loaded with options, comfortable"

Cons: "High Maintenance, High parts cost, headache"

"When you buy a vw/audi you should know the parts aren't cheap if you choose the dealer, whether its you having to buy the part that day (no choice online takes times) or you need to have them service something no other shop can, its pricey. I cannot complain about anything else minus the stuff that breaks on these cars it is all the same stuff very common problems. Valve cover gaskets, mass air flow sensors, axles, ripped leather seats, vacuum hoses, secondary airpumps, on audi a4/passat 1.8T's the way the oil pan is you have to change the oil pickup tube (take off the oil pan) because the netting in there gets sludged up over time etc. The car is an excellent daily driver, it has plenty of pick up, comfortable (when axles, control arms, tie rods, spring and struts are okay) plus has appeal past a boring accord or camry. They might be more reliable but to me they are boring. The passat is for a person who does not mind tinkering here and there when they have an issue that pops up randomly because it will. Any vw/audi is like that in my opinion from 96+ a4 a6 a8 passat jetta gti golf etc. The car will not be afraid to give you christmas lights on the dash board for the smallest issue and it might not even be what you think. For an automatic sometimes you might feel like your transmission is bad, but its just a bad mass air flow sensor instead. My personal vehicle is in great shape, sounds healthy even at high mileage. You do the maintenance, they run forever. It has leather, heated seats, sunroof, power windows, locks, cruise control and the manual transmission gives the car more flare and life. Already have taken care of some of the common issues with these cars so mines decent."

Great value certainly got our money's worth

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

"After 13 years and a 193000 miles, still getting 30 mpg and haven't endured any major maintenance or repair costs. Body still in great shape, no rust . Couldn't be happier with the car's overall performance over the years. A couple of not so great points would be the placement of the cup holders , near the gearshift and the length of time it takes for the car to cool off in the summer and warm in the winter."

I really like VW and their simple styling.

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, not a cushy US car,"

Cons: "not as quiet as I'd like"

"I'd buy another one tomorrow, if used BMWs weren't so pletiful and affordable."

fun to drive for all ages

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "very dependable has class every thing one needs"

Cons: "I think its 90% perfect"

"a very dependable car with every high end features a ae.g.sunroof heated front seat leather seats very clean inside. goodpaint kept in garage power windows overall a very attractive car."

never buy a turbo vw

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Reason: was only running on 3 of 4 cylinders, window was broken, parts too expensive

"this car gave me so many problems."

I LOVE this car!

By on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pros: "Driveability, fun to drive, lots of extras"

Cons: "Cheezy cup holders"

"I have a 6 cyl. Passat and it drives like a charm. It's a manual transmission which shifts beautifully and is very fun and comfortable to drive. The only thing I would trade this for is a new Passat, but it has to be a manual transmission."