1997 Volkswagen Passat

6.8

Based on 77 Ratings for the 1995 - 1997 models.

7.5/10
    7.1/10
    7.0/10

Very satisfied

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"I purchased this car new and have had great luck with it!"

VW should be held accountable...

By on Saturday, May 30, 2009

"...for the numerous problems this make and model are known for. Great little car with expensive design flaws....Windows, door locks, cooling system, various sensors and sealed trans. I would recommend this vehicle to a friend only if the known design flaws have been addressed by previous owner(s)."

Nice

By on Monday, October 20, 2008

"Love this car, looks great, engine is tip top and gets great mileage. However, door handles have broken, trunk latch is broken, speedometer has broken, driver side window has broken and rear window control has broken. This is expected from an old car, so I can't complain too much. Overall, I love it, but it's a headache sometimes."

Driven to death

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"Before I owned my car, it was owned by a family with several children. They bought it new and their kids definitely gave it a run for it's money. I got it and drove my brother and sister around for two years. Now I drive it about 200 miles a month between school and home plus all the driving I do in the city. The poor thing is 13 years old; it's been driven hard and it's probably time to give it up, but it is nothing if not reliable and I definitely love it."

This car is junk!

By on Thursday, January 24, 2008

"I got this car almost 3 years ago, and since then I haven't stopped having problems with it. So far I've replaced the radiator and the fan motor, the thermostat, the rear struts, the water pump, the brakes master cylinder, rotors, and calipers, front and rear wheel bearings, wheel bearing seal, inner and outer tie rods, oxygen sensor and spark plug wires. Not to mention 3 out of the 4 doors do not open. It seems like I fix one thing, then 2 more things go. It's a lose-lose situation. I strongly think you should do your homework before buying any Volkswagen vehicle. I've just been reading consumer reports, and I wish I had before I bought this thing."