1997 Volkswagen Passat

6.7

Based on 77 Ratings for the 1995 - 1997 models.

7.5/10
    7.1/10
    7.0/10
    7.6/10
Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Get a Honda

By on Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"1997 TDI Passat, comfortable to drive, good mileage (45 to 46 mpg consistently), but a maintenance nightmare. Two transmissions, five water pumps, radiator, alternator, fuel injector pump, oil pump and all four door release mechanisms replaced twice ( Does not seem to matter if you get aftermarket door handles or the ones from VW, they break almost immediately). VW built reliable cars in the 50’s and 60’s but if you want a reliable vehicle now, buy a Honda."

Reliable

By on Saturday, April 11, 2009

"I have owned 3 Volkwagens and have always been very happy. My 95 Passat VR6 currently has 245000 miles and is still going strong. Very reliable and very fun to drive."

Can't go wrong.

By on Sunday, April 05, 2009

"Hello america! if you ever come across a 96 vw passat GLX don't pass it down! with all 4 anti-lock brakes, strong v6, power everthing, heated leather seats and much more. but just like any euro car parts can expensive."

This is my first vw

By on Thursday, March 19, 2009

"It's a good car overall. Since it's reliable and get's better milage than kelly blue book says it does. I personally got 29 miles to the galllon on the highway. a mixture of city and highway is 25 miles to the gallon and 19 to the gallon is about right for city. I get complaints though that my old honda was more comfortable in the back seat than this car. the front seat is pretty comfy though just the back as much room as it has people say it just isn't comfy like my 97 honda accord was. but I like the way it handles at high speed Since I love driving fast it handles turns going pretty quick quite well. I think it's like a sport's car when it comes to handling. and it holds it's value pretty well. (unlike american cars)I'm quite an aggresive driver so if you need a car that can handle intense driving than look no further it's low price and great handling will ensure lot's of happinesss behind the wheel. I am not a volkswagon fan but I have to say I'm impressed with this car."

great Diesel

By on Monday, March 16, 2009

"I've had several Diesels and VWs--this one was the easiest and cheapest to maintain--much better than my later model which required going to the dealer for almost everything. Plus the manual transmission Diesel gets nearly 50 mpg! with an 18-gallon tank I only fill up every 6 weeks."

VW Passat

By on Sunday, February 22, 2009

"I loved the European styling when I first bought it in 98, however, it was not a very reliable car. I had issues with the transmission, air conditioning, check engine light, and tires. Would not recomend this car. Sold it in 2004."

By on Saturday, January 24, 2009

I have on eand love it

By on Thursday, December 04, 2008

"mine was hit in the pass side front and i never fixed any thing. i still get around 27 mpg on the high way and 22 in the city"

Best Investment I've Made

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"I bought my diesel Passat new in '96 for 19,600. It now has 255,555 miles on it. I brag about it all the time, especially with today's gas/fuel prices. I get 51 miles to the gallon!! Admittedly it doesn't have the acceleration of the non-diesel models. I bought it because I was on the road as a salesperson; I have taken it on 2000 mile trips (middle-aged woman alone). I've driven in all kinds of weather and almost always feel safe. Yes the door handles are stubborn, especially now. Yes I lost the driver's side window regulator once. The sunroof now leaks in a powerful car wash. I have hauled furniture, dogs, family, scrap wood and demolition material to the dump. Now I recharge the a/c annually. I replaced 1 bearing. Original clutch. Mine was built in Germany. I get 60k miles out of the tires I put on it. I have the dealer put synthetic oil in it. I did have to replace the radiator a couple years ago. I replaced part of the exhaust system once. Now I will need tires, brakes and a timing belt again, kind of all together, but I hope for another 100k miles. Anyone else have this great car?? When I bought it there were only 3 in this state. I feel very lucky. I bought the car (my first new car purchase after leasing several) for the long run...and we're still running. I love it, in spite of a few small faults."

Nice

By on Monday, October 20, 2008

"Love this car, looks great, engine is tip top and gets great mileage. However, door handles have broken, trunk latch is broken, speedometer has broken, driver side window has broken and rear window control has broken. This is expected from an old car, so I can't complain too much. Overall, I love it, but it's a headache sometimes."

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

great car

By on Tuesday, October 07, 2008

"i have a 1996 vw passat v6 with 180000 miles on it and still runs like a champ great car if you can find one get it"

Fun to drive!

By on Saturday, September 13, 2008

"German engineering! GLX model has many features. My car has 135k and runs great! bought this well kept car 2 years ago and it is a pleasure to drive everyday!"

Trouble, trouble, trouble

By on Thursday, July 24, 2008

"I bought this car new in 1997. It has been trouble from day one. This car has gone thru 3 transmissions. Both the drivers side and passengers side window have fallen into the doors 4 times each. Numerous electrical issues. Had AC replaced. Spedometer and odometer have not worked for the past year and a half. Cruise control broken. Trunk lock won't open. Right side door locks will not lock or unlock, must be done manually. Check engine light continually on. "Leather" seats ripped on both sides, exposing that they are not really made from leather. Drivers side window will not open or shut with power window button, glass must be pulled up or pushed down manually. Requires expensive, low profile tires which only last a maximum of a year. Over heats when air conditioning is on. Everything squeaks, rattles, or creaks. Other than that, excellent car!"

Worst car I ever owned

By on Sunday, July 20, 2008

"I bought the car from a used car dealer at 90K. Had nothing but problems from the start. First is started with windows falling into the door, doors not opening, flooding, then antifreeze began to leak on to the drivers side floor. We owned the car for 2 years, bought it for $4000, put over $1,500 into it and finally sold it for only $800 very disappointed!"

By on Friday, July 04, 2008

By on Friday, May 16, 2008

throiugh the nose repairs

By on Sunday, May 04, 2008

"Major electrical defects. Engine troubles all the time. Expensive upkeep."

By on Saturday, April 12, 2008

tough

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"ive had mine for about 3 yrs now and well the trannty, ignition cylnder, rear windows, ac wheel bearings, and moon roof all quit working with in a month of eachother. for the amonut of money it would cost to fix it i could by 2 other cars get somthing else"

Driven to death

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"Before I owned my car, it was owned by a family with several children. They bought it new and their kids definitely gave it a run for it's money. I got it and drove my brother and sister around for two years. Now I drive it about 200 miles a month between school and home plus all the driving I do in the city. The poor thing is 13 years old; it's been driven hard and it's probably time to give it up, but it is nothing if not reliable and I definitely love it."

highest mileage non-hybrid midsize ever made

By on Sunday, March 09, 2008

"You can haul 5 adults, 30 cubic feet of stuff, 200 lbs. on the roof, and 2000 in tow, while still making well over 30 to the gallon! You'll make well over 40 if you are going solo without the gear! Handles like a European car and has acceleration which can burn rubber in the first 2 gears. Like the old ads say, "Volkswagen does it again.""

Worth it

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"I bought this 95 from a small dealer with roughly 50k on it. Today, thanks to the snow I slammed sideways into a telephone pole, airbags deployed and the car is surley totaled (Insurance purposes).....but unbelievably after the tow driver got it to drive onto the truck (to my shock), I got him to let me drive it home....220,000 miles on it, a telepone pole later and the car purred like a kitten all the way home (except the open, smashed windows and passenger doors, sunroof etc). No check engine light, no leaks (no bumper). Now remember the car IS totaled, the bent roof etc are not repairable....but the beast handled the hit well. After such a hard hit, the car rolled home for an hour and a half drive. I hate to loose it. The engine, radiator, the steering, the frame etc... all held up to a big accident after being on the road 13 years and 220K. Yes there were a few problems, clutch around 80k, (normal), a couple sensors around 120k, ignition swich, an arching coil pack that would arc only when it rained (rather than replace it we sprayed it with silicone and that worked) that i did not replace, and infamous Volks Electrical issues that let to a window that went down when it wanted to. A dime kept it in the up position until one bad winter day when I decided to just open the door and disconnect the window rather than pay VW $500 to 'maybe' fix it. And yes the headliner peeled but that was the fault of the guy installing a new windshield. So read the complaints and the whining and remember, almost any car will need some repair after 13 years and 220K. Anyone can get a lemon even from a new car. With the book value around 3K it would have been a steal if someone bought it. But I couldn't bear to sell it. I loved it too much. Had it for 10 years or so-so I don't think the number of repairs or the severity of them was unacceptable. Oh and I always used Mobil 1 synth oil and changed it every 10-15K miles and syth trany (Royal Purple). Like another review, I had someone recently ask me if it was a new car. A nice detail and it looked spanking new in and out. No one believes it is a '95. So good luck. I don't know that I would buy a new Passat or even another used one as I think there are likely better deals to be had, but if I ended up with one I would certainly be happy enough. happy hunting"

DON"T DO IT!!! 96 gls passat auto gas

By on Thursday, February 07, 2008

"If you know what's good for your pocket book.... RUN far from anyone trying to sell you a VW. I bought mine from my cousin the car dealer and don't talk to him any more. He refused to take the car back 2 months later when the camshaft needed replaced. But the nightmare goes on. I spent just shy of 1000 fixing that issue then afterward it's needed monthly repairs that average 800 dollars each ever since. I paid $3500 to buy it, and have spent about $7,000 since then trying to make some decency out of the money I've already spent, thinking what else can possibly go wrong? The TRANNY nOW!!!"

This car is junk!

By on Thursday, January 24, 2008

"I got this car almost 3 years ago, and since then I haven't stopped having problems with it. So far I've replaced the radiator and the fan motor, the thermostat, the rear struts, the water pump, the brakes master cylinder, rotors, and calipers, front and rear wheel bearings, wheel bearing seal, inner and outer tie rods, oxygen sensor and spark plug wires. Not to mention 3 out of the 4 doors do not open. It seems like I fix one thing, then 2 more things go. It's a lose-lose situation. I strongly think you should do your homework before buying any Volkswagen vehicle. I've just been reading consumer reports, and I wish I had before I bought this thing."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next