1997 Volkswagen Passat

6.7

Based on 77 Ratings for the 1995 - 1997 models.

7.5/10
    7.1/10
    7.0/10
    7.6/10

1997 VW Passat

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"I bought this vehicle for a good price thinking it would be a good car to drive for a couple of years, and it has been just that.However due to the fact that it's an import, parts are more expensive so take that into consideration before buying.The tires alone on the car are very rare making them 3 to 4 times as much as a normal tire.The features I like are the heated seats which is great for those freezing cold days and while on that topic let me explain a huge fault on Volkswagons part the door handles, living in the midwest we have cold days and the I know when its really cold out I'm going to go to my car and the door is not going to shut, the locking mechanism on the door isn't on the inside like most cars so the extreme tempatures keep the door form closing.I've had to go as far as attaching a hair dryer to an extension cord to heat up the latch to get it to close and when I'm not at home i have to hold the door closed while I drive.Another flaw is because the 97 model was built so poorly almost all the work that you'd be able to do on your own on a domestic car, can't be said for this car, for example tranmisson fluid can only be put in with a special machine used at liscened Volkswagon Dealer, and to replace the altanator you'd have to lift the entire engine to get to it. Because I got a deal on this car I can't get to mad about certain things but just beware and do your research, but if you stumble across one that has had routine maintanance and you plan to keep up on it as well I recommend buying it."

96 vw glx vr6 not so great

By on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"I absolutely hate hate hate this vw ... I bought it from a friend 3 years ago and yes it is a 96 and I know it will have its problems but the problems I have had is by far the worst compared to my eighties volvo! I have replaced a bearing a tie rod a water pump a crank sensor some other sensor all the door handles break often they decided to put the most cheaply made door handles ever I mean it is endless with repairs it has been in the shop more then I have had it ... however when it does have a good day I do enjoy the sunroof and the style of the vehicle I would only recommend to someone if they truly love vw and understand how much they break"

Sensible peoplemover

By on Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"I have owned this car for 15 years now and have nothing but good things to say about it. I liked the design and the practical aspect of a station wagon. Not as bulky as a minivan or SUV, but with more space than a sedan. Excellent performance and reliability on this wagon. Total repair costs so far are approximately $ 1,200. Would purchase another VW Passat station wagon but found out that VW is no longer selling them in USA, now that the NMS will be built in Tennessee."

GLX VR6

By on Thursday, October 07, 2010

"loved the car however wouldnt recommend to someone unless they have the money to replace parts every 3 months :/"

no hybrid could match

By on Sunday, September 26, 2010

"How many cars can you drive 212k without replacing any front end part, alternator, starter, or clutch. I have done nothing but replace brakes, struts, filters, oil. It gets 50 mpg regularly and I've even gotten as high as 56 mpg. The car has a large tank which returns around 900 miles on a single tank. I did have two problems: an oil line to the turbo broke, due to a hanger that held it in place rusted and broke (due to the salt use in Maine). which I lost all the oil in the engine at 75mph. But it has survived! I also had a wiring harness chaff through which caused the car to dhort out and die in the rain. No car is without problems, however if you mantain this car it rewards you, in my opinion no other car was a better value."

By on Monday, April 26, 2010

very good buy

By on Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"my father bought this car 4 years ago and the previous owner had poorly maintaned it, so the first few times it went to the shop it cost about $500 each time but after about 3 trips it hasnt let me down in the 3 years ive driven it nearly daily. it has been a very good car, mileage ranging from 39.5-57.25 averges 45 on a regular basis"

Reliable and Dependable; Great Value

By on Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"I bought this car used from a colleague in 1998 and have owned it since. Despite having a tough life being used mostly for city driving in the northeast and being parked on the street where it's been assaulted every winter by salt and sand trucks and plows as well as potholes, it has virtually no rust and has held up very well. During my last auto inspection, the mechanic commented on how tight the front end is. Never had a breakdown or a major mechanical failure in the 12 years I've owned it."

Ok Car if you have it

By on Thursday, March 11, 2010

"bought this car 3 years ago and have change twice refurbish water pump and auxiliary pump once, angine still ok, oil leak but no a problem, CC does not work since bought it, as far as door handles that people complaint, mine did not open doors, so I look at it and all I did is adjust the screw for the locks, which is locate on the side of the door cover with a plastic, you should remove it and tide the screw and done, as far as sun roof motor, junk yard motor from a jetta works, so far my trasmision fail in the begining, but once warms run good, dont know why."

Deceiving, yes?

By on Sunday, January 24, 2010

"You think it's a big wagon with a lazy engine but... w/ the 5-speed manual and it's advanced VR6 engine, you'd be amazed at how fun, yet very practical this vehicle is!"