1993 Volkswagen Passat

7.4

Based on 16 Ratings for the 1990 - 1994 models.

7.6/10
Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

My Divorce Car

By on Thursday, November 24, 2011

"I bought this car 2 yrs ago with a salvage title from a yard when I had to turn in my 2008 Wrangler in to pay my child support after a bitter $150K divorce. Prior, to that it had one owner and had been sitting in the guys yard for years - it had 89K miles and it started right up. I have literally put minimal $$ into it and it has never stranded me. I am devoted to this Passat because it has gotten me through the worst patch in my life. At times it was the only reliable thing in my life."

the auto trans died and was not fixable.

By on Friday, February 06, 2015

Reason: auto trans died and was not fixable. I took a HUGE loss. AVOID

Pros: "Looked like a little BMW"

Cons: "Very unreliable. I lost a bunch of money on it"

"I bought the car in 2001 when it had about 90,000 miles. The heater was already broken. Next the power window broke. Then the power sunroof broke. Then other things broke. Finally the auto trans went out. I was quoted over $2,000 to replace by VW dealer. No independent shop would touch it for any price. Few shops repair VWs. I found out that VW transmissions and other parts have a reputation for being very unreliable. I've only owned Japanese cars since."

last resort

By on Sunday, November 22, 2009

"very unreliable with high miles. it is very comfortable"

By on Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"This 92 Passat has been in the family since 1993. Two daughters owned it before Dad bought it in 2002. It has been in Alabama, Missouri, Arkansas and now resides in Kansas. It is very fuel efficient (36 MPG Hiway)(31 city/hiway). The maintenance problems are mainly getting parts. It is a lot more expensive than my GM car when it comes to service. Biggest problem was just recently when I had to replace the balance shaft bearings, which meant pulling the engine. Put a head gasket on at the 200k mark. Exhaust is very expensive to replace. Original clutch after 251k is surprising. Overall a great car, but it is now for sale because of reliability. Can't be sure if we are going to get to final destination, some electrical issues."

Very Fragile

By on Monday, February 08, 2010

"A good vehicle until something happens to it. Any little bumps or Dings and little things start breaking all over the place. Also hard to find parts for it. Good vehicle overall though."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next