2008 Volkswagen New Beetle

6.9

Based on 1117 Ratings for the 1998 - 2010 models.

7.3/10
    7.0/10
    7.2/10
    7.6/10

great car, fun to drive, but lots of repairs

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great on gas, very cute"

Cons: "expensive repairs"

"this car is amazing, its basally have a little jeep. this car can easy drive over snow, and never has gotten stuck. because of its small size it can fit anywhere, if you one of those speed racer, constantly merging into different lanes on the highway kind of person this is the car for you. when it comes to getting repair, it is a different story. i have spent well over 3,000 dollars just in the last year with this car due to minor things. the driver side window sometimes goes down on its own and the biggest problem of all the i still haven't yet to resolve is that it leaks. after rain this car becomes a swimming pool! i love my bug and I'm not trading it anytime soon."

2003 turbo bug

By on Sunday, November 10, 2013

Pros: "very cute"

Cons: "to much to repair"

"new engine after 80000 miles and now i see the check engine light on again. I love this car but when you by a VW you expect superior engineering. like the commerical says. I should have know when they only warrenty their power train to 60000 miles. Most other cars do 1000000. when i told My mechanic what i bought he asked why i did not ask him first. he finds it really hard to work on. That because they don't want anyone but a vw dealer to work on them which we are very expensive. Buy the way the new engine cost 8,000.00 to replace."

Wonderful piece of functional art!

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pros: "2 cup holders in turntable under CD, fun car!"

"Bug is very reliable, despite me leaving the mirror light on for over 8 hours. No repairs... & only replaced the tires recently, love the comfort of the seat (purchased fleeced covers from a upholsterer) and had the windows tinted to decrease the suns rays. I am 62 and wish I had bought one back in the 1960s."

The cost of cute is EXPENSIVE!

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, Cute, Stylish, compact, seat warmers"

Cons: "unreliable, cheaply made, expensive to fix"

"I bought this car because I thought it was cute and practical. However I learned quickly afterwards that the reliability of this car makes it impossible to maintain. The day after I bought it the clutch went out, after fixing that the timing belt and fan belt needed fixed and just a few weeks later the check engine light came on. VW Bugs will run as long as you are willing to pour thousands of dollars into them! While I still love the overall look and feel of this car I am selling it and finding something more reliable, I'm sad that this car wasn't what I expected it to be because it is so cute and fun."

1999 TDI New Beetle

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pros: "Great mileage fun to drive"

Cons: "Cup holders and a few electrical glitches."

"I would only buy a diesel VW. They are very special. The gas version is nothing special. The diesel gets an honest 45-47 no matter how or where I drive it. The really important thing about longevity with these cars is make sure the timing belt is replaced about every 80,000 miles. Other than a few electronic glitches - door lock and a bad wire to the glow plugs, this car has done admirably well in 13 years. Interior is still solid. No rust or weird problems with the body. Very good car! I use Rotella T-6 synthetic oil and change both oil and filter every 10,000 miles. I drive over 4 3000 feet mountain passes a few times a month. This car does not have to shift out of 5th gear and can cruise easily up and down the passes at 70 mph. Not much room in the back, but the front is very roomy. Cup holders are stupid - that's my biggest complaint. I paid 1/4 the price of a new Prius and get almost equal the same mpg without the complexity."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen New Beetle near Honolulu. See local deals