2014 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $14,948 - $15,773.

10/7.1

Based on 279 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Great fuel economy with a comfortable ride.

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

Pros: "Great fuel economy. Good comfort and ride."

Cons: "Small switches and controls."

"I purchased the car in February and I have just under 10K miles on it. It is a Jetta Diesel TDi with the 6 speed manual transmission. Overall, the car is very competent. It rides and handles very well and the seats are comfortable. The engine develops plenty of power and is quiet and smooth. The seats can use just a touch more lumbar support for longer trips. The measured-at-the-pump fuel economy runs between 42 (the first tank) to 48 MPG. It continues to improve as the car beaks in. Most of my driving is on mountainous backcountry roads. Highway mileage looks like it will be better than 50 MPG if you stay near the speed limit. The computer overestimates the fuel economy by about 5%, which is the difference between straight diesel and diesel with methanol in it. The car had a manufacturing defect (the fuel lines were installed backward) that kept it in the shop for a month. VW did make a car payment for me and also helped with some other expenses. Other minor complaints are the fuse panel cover buzzes and the plastic covers in the trunk tend to fall out. The switches and controls are clearly designed for someone with small fingers; I am not a big person and I have trouble using the switches when driving. There is a space in the back of the driver’s door map pocket that is big enough for your wallet to side into and get stuck. I put some foam in the space to keep this from happening again!!! I would recommend this car to anyone looking for great fuel economy. The car rides and handles better than my sisters Prius and it gets better fuel economy."

awesome and fun

By on Friday, October 05, 2012

"I got this car mostly for the mileage. It says 42 highway but I got my average up to 48. I enjoy the handeling, theaudio and just about everything else"

Quite possibly the best car I have owned

By on Monday, October 01, 2012

Pros: "Great car, across the board"

Cons: "Marginal dealer service, cheap original tires"

"I waited three years for VW to get the TDI worked out. It was worth the wait. My Jetta TDI Sportwagen does everything right. Quite surprisingly fast and sporty to drive, and for such a small car it handles bad weather and wind very well. I average about 38 mpg combined, and often get 45-50 on highway runs. Very comfortable, great sound system, lots of hidden storage. I love the 6 speed manual. Drove the automatic and I didn't care for the way it works. I had an early diesel Rabbit and while that was a truly great car, these new diesels are infinitely more civilized. If only the VW dealer in our area was more accommodating, that would help a lot. I have had to wait 3 hours for an oil change with an appointment. Also, I look forward to putting on a really good set of Michelins. The tires that came with it are abominable."

Great gas milage on TDI.

By on Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pros: "Cheap transportation"

Cons: "Bad rear suspension"

"Car drives and handles well, slightly under powered. Get anywhere from 37 up to on best days 63.3 mpg! I have the 6 speed and it has a lower final gear then the automatic. I am 6.3" and it is a little hard to get in and out but once seated I am comfortable. However rear suspension in particular is to soft and low. Had it in several times to dealer and they say the cars specs are good. I now have to install bilstein after market shocks to solve this problem at my own cost. They lent me a sedan during service and it does not have this problem. Think they would make the wagon more heavy duty but they did the opposite!"

Perfect choice for young, first-time owner/driver.

By on Friday, September 07, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing"

"I gave my 16 YO son a budget for his first vehicle and he narrowed his choices down to the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and the VW Jetta and some fleeting interest for "the Cube". 500 miles later in a VW Jetta, I am proud to report he had made the best decision... For the "base" model, the car came with lots of features like auto windows, mirrors, CD stereos, keyless entry..etc. What I liked most was front, side and curtain airbags and re-enforced doors. It is a little weak on horse power but that is exactly what he does not need. The manual shift is smooth making learning to drive a stick-shift a little easier. Oh and the 3 year no maintenance cost and 5 year power train warranties didn't hurt either. Absolutely the best, smartest choice for a sensible kid and safety concious dad."