2014 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $14,906 - $15,823.

10/7.1

8.4

Based on 296 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat!

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Pros: "Near Prius MPG with Cool Dad driving appeal"

Cons: "DSG transmission takes some getting used to"

"So to start I've driven trucks more often than anything else but recently moved to a much more urban area and couldn't see myself commuting or even parking my 4 door Tundra in this mess. We had been using my wife's 2003 Corolla as the family car when gas mileage was an issue. I had been eyeing the TDI Sportwagen for about 6 months. I wanted maximum cargo space, performance and over 30 MPG. I test drove the Outback thinking I needed AWD because I was replacing a truck. The 4 cycl maxed out at something like 32 MPG (when you're nursing it) and I wasn't impressed with the power. The next day I test drove my TDI Sportwagen. HOLY SMOKES! The DSG transmission takes some getting used to, especially at low RPMs, but when you put your foot in the pedal it does exactly what you want. Doesn't matter what speed you're at either. I recently drove to Texas with my wife and 2 kids, all of our luggage, plus a full size cooler in the back. We even picked stuff up on the way without any issues or luggage racks. I was averaging 39 MPG while doing 9 MPH or more over the speed limit at all times. I nursed it the first 550 miles and got 46mpg but I got tired of being in the slow lane. When I wanted to pass a truck while doing 80, I blew past them with no problem. I had to watch myself a little bit because you can hit 100mph in no time. (I know I'm a horrible person, blah blah) The steering is very responsive, the 4 wheel disc brakes stop on a dime, the diesel engine is quiet and purrs only slightly louder than a gasoline engine. Not like the old school diesels. The Panoramic sunroof was a huge selling point for me. My kids can look at the sky while I'm driving and see things they never could before. It's gianormous. I've never run into an issue where I needed to haul something too large for the cargo space, and I've hauled vanity's, toilets, 7 ft long boards, IKEA boxes, you name it. I'd say the only thing I'm not ecstatic about is a slight buzzing noise coming from the center console that is going to get looked at by the dealer at my 10k checkup. Did I mention that maintenance intervals are 10k miles and are free for the first 30k?"

TDI is exceeding expectations!!!

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "MPG, Looks, Stereo"

"I purchased my 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI about a year and a half ago. I had not paid attention to this vehicle in a lot of years because I was not a fan of the body lines/persona that it had. So, when I decided to get rid of my 2008 Pontiac Gran Prix GXP it was not in the front of my mind. I had decided that I needed a car that 1. Got good gas mileage. 2. Looked good. 3. Had a manual transmission. 4. Had an awesome stereo and 5. Was economical to do maintenance on. I drove all of the econo cars out there, even ones that I didn't think I'd buy.. just because I didn't want to miss out on something. After 2-3 weeks of test driving/research I'd gone through over 10 cars and had narrowed it down to the Jetta and the Mazda 3. Both had smooth manual transmissions, both had good MPG ratings(was looking at gas Jetta at this time) and both looked good. I looked at pricing on both cars and it was obvious that the Jetta was going to be a better bang for the buck. I ended up deciding on the TDI based on the fact that the fuel mileage/trade in value was far superior to the gas engine. I now have over 20k miles on my Jetta and could not be happier. No problems, averaging over 42 MPG. Thanks Volkswagen!!!"

Worst vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Pros: "Has alot of power and great miliage"

Cons: "not dependable"

"Purchased this car brand new and have had to have it towed to the dealership 4 times for no start issues. Volkswagen does provide a customer service rep to assist with continued issues with the car. Never totally fixed - given different cause for same problem each time. In addition, the windshield washer pump seized up when car only 1 1/2 years old.(Covered under warranty. Lost all confidence in vehicle - looking to trade in and don't care that I will lose money."

TDI is a great car

By on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pros: "Getting 50 MPG on the highway."

Cons: "Arm rest is about worthless!"

"Very impress with the power of this car. I have a 2005 TDI and this car has 40 more HP! Yet the milage is even better than the 2005 TDI! Some say the ride is not as good in the 2011 as the 2005. I do not see/feel any difference. I have the NAV and all the bells and whistles, except for the DSG, as mine is a manual. The only things I do not enjoy is the arm rest in the 2011! The roof line is lower and it is a little harder to get into than my 05. Yet the ride appears to be softer than the 05, which I like. I have VW diesels since 1980 and drove them all over 200,000 miles before some one else got it. I gave up my 81 VW Rabbit (it had only 54 HP and averaged 42MPG) for the 2011 Jetta, it lasted me 30 years and I think that this 2011 should last me 40!"

TDI- german engineering

By on Friday, July 08, 2011

"I owe TDI model for about 3 months with 6000 miles. My average mpg is 42 mixed driving. Car is well build with close attention to interior parts fitment (better then my 08 ACCORD).Huge trunk space, good seats, great features, and … . This is sedan with gas mpg of small car and performance of V6 engine."

Exceptional mileage, comfort, looks!!

By on Friday, October 12, 2012

Pros: "Great MPG, comfort & power"

"We have a 2011 Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG transmission and couldn't be more pleased with the car. We have a 2nd home in FLorida and wanted a vehicle that offers a fair amount of luggage space for our trip down. Drop the back seats and you have more room than most SUV's. Tried other vehicles but never found one with seats my wife was comfortable with. The VW offers passenger side lumbar support as well as adjustments for up and down, most comfortable seats we have found in a vehicle in this price range. We average 42-45 mpg on the highway and 35 around town, can go over 600 miles on highway between fillups. The diesel engine is a bit noisey at startup, but once on the road you cannot detect any noise. The diesel has wonderful power, it never down shifts when you hit even the steepest hills, just pulls up effortlessly. Highly recommend this vehicle."

Just what I wanted

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Stlyle, roomy cabin, large trunk, great handling"

Cons: "MPG is only average"

"I got a 2014 Jetta S with automatic transmission. On paper it has the potential to be a good value but with cars you just don't know until the bumper-to-bumper warranty runs out. But VW was offering some attractive end-of-the year deals and the 2-year free maintenance is nice benefit. I traded in a 2009 Jeep Compass 2WD which was a great little crossover. No problems at all in the 4.5 years I owned this car. But I trade about every 5 years and the VW deal was too good to leave on the table. The base model is packed with a lot of features that are options on some cars. This Jetta had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. I did a ton research before I made the move. I know what the auto critics said about the base VW 2.0 engine -- that it lacks power and it's been around too long. I test drove the S three different times and also test drove the SE with the turbo. My verdict: The turbo wasn't worth the extra two grand. Unless you're into speed and extremely rapid acceleration the good ol' 2.0 is plenty of engine for this car -- perfectly smooth and competent around town and on the interstate. If you want to blow your socks off, get the turbo. Some critics also said the Jetta's cabin had too much hard plastic. Hey, I'm coming from a Compass. The Jetta's interior plastics are altogether acceptable to me. No faux chrome trim or useless affectations. This cabin is roomy and comfortable and the trunk is almost expansive. Both the exterior and interior design are clean and unpretentious. And you get a full-size spare tire. I didn't know any car company did that nowadays. The gas mileage isn't great, slightly better than the Compass. However, I only put about 6,000 miles a year on a car so mpg is not my top priority. If you're considering a compact or even midsize car, don't overlook the Jetta. I'm glad I didn't."

you MUST test drive this car!

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pros: "many ppl think styling is bland, but i LOVE the styling!"

Cons: "no button to turn off stability control"

Parked at my work, love the black pearl paint and the 18 inch rims!

"So I recently got engaged and decided to sell my 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6-speed manual, which I loved. I looked at the following: Kia Optima, Chevy Cruze, Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, BMW 3-series, Jetta, and Acura TSX. My criteria: had to be 4 door sedan, and had to be manual transmision, and had to be within my price range (below $30k). I get so tired of salesmen trying to sell me on tiptronic fake manual transmissions! I test drove all of those cars, and I was very close to getting kia optima turbo, however, the only way to get a 6speed was getting the base model with plastic hubcaps. I went to VW with my fiance, we drove the 5 speed SE Jetta, and was bored. Then... I saw the GLI and was instantly in love. The exterior and interior was incredibly sexy, nice body kit, the GLI is lower by, I think, .6 inches, and the 18 inch rims just was icing on the cake for me. The red-stiching interior on the black leather was also awesome, and there was a noticible difference and improvement in initial quality of interior - dashboard, steering wheel, seats, center console, and even the odometer was sexier! The 6-speed gear box was incredibly smooth, and although my fiance cannot drive a manual, she new how to change gears when I told her to and she was even amazed at how much fun it was. The suspension was much improved to the Jetta SE, and the ride, the turbo engine, and sound of the engine/exhuast was all amazing. She knew after my 3 weeks of research I had found my match. The Fender-sound system is amazing and also has a great sub to add incredible bass if you like, the back seat is huge, as most reviews have pointed out. I just returned from Charleston, SC for a wedding and it was a fantastic road trip car, drove 6 hours there and 6 hours back... and not to mention the head turns I would get from others (driving Auidis, other Jettas, BMWs, and even one guy driving a Porchse!) all their heads turned as I would drive by. The 0-60 is a bit slower than my 2006 G35, however, it doesn't FEEL like it at all! The turbo is fun to drive and I highly recommend test driving this car!!!"

Parked at my work, love the black pearl paint and the 18 inch rims!

The estamated fuel econamy is an under statment

By on Monday, April 30, 2012

Pros: "500-600 miles to a tank/Very Smooth/nice interior"

Cons: "The delayed shifting/bluetooth phone volume"

"You can easily get 45 mpg on the highway and 35 to 40 in the city. I like to drive fast and normally get like 40 mpg combined. Doing 80 on the highway you easily get over 40 mpg. The only thing I don't like is the way the transmission shifts. It try's to wait as long as it can to shift down then it surprises you. It can easily be fix if you put it in sport mode. For such a fuel efficient car it has plenty of power and for a diesel you can't even hear it. Very smooth ride. The bluetooth phone is nice but you have to have the volume low for the voice and the volume load for the phone conversations. Overall great quality!"

Not nearly as bad as the critics say

By on Sunday, May 22, 2011

"All the automotive writers say VW has completely cheaped out on the new Jetta, and complain over and over about the fact that the plastic on the dash isn't as soft as it was before, etc., but this is still a nice car. It's plenty quick with the 2.5L engine (wouldn't recommend the 2.0), and the ride is supple yet sporty. The interior is roomy and still has a classier feel than anything else in the price range (even the SE starts under $20K). It has lots of features for the money as well...in my opinion, the SE with convenience package is probably the best blend of price and features. Don't buy the negative hype...this thing is still worth a close look."

A thoroughly enjoyable experience

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive great value exceptional mileage"

Cons: "The icons on the heater control knobs"

"In the summer of 2009 after looking for a TDI for some time I finally acquired my first of two drove this car without a single complaint except for the fact that the original equipment tires were only worth about 15,000 miles. Drove it through a winter and halfway through decided that it needed real Vermont studded snow tires and once equipped with those completely and totally outperformed the Nissan Pathfinder that it was traded for. Remember is a front will as opposed to all-wheel-drive vehicle. I should've known better I've lived here my whole life but was talked into trying the "all season tires" and should of just bit the bullet out of the box. Unfortunately that great car succumbed to a traffic mishap and I am now on my second one, a 2012 with just a couple more amenities than were available in 2010. I really enjoy the Bluetooth connectivity, the MPI/iPod connectivity and the Sirius radio. Mechanically neither of these cars has had as much as a hiccup. Dealer services been exceptional, and they have been wonderful folks to deal with. If I were going to have any complaints whatsoever it would be that without paying too much attention to what's going on you can exceed local speed limits and I constantly find myself wanting to just drive it through the corners and accelerate down the straights. In my view an exceptional vehicle and I recommended to anyone. The only downside is my 16-year-old keep saying "but pops it's a wagon". Need to say the 40 to 55 miles per gallon of diesel make it an exceptional value as well. All in all a great experience and I'd buy another one tomorrow if I needed it."

An outstanding all-around-town car.

By on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pros: "Transmission, great price, very fun to drive"

Cons: "Winter tires would help"

Classy.

"The 2012 Jetta SE was less of a compromise and more of a confident attempt to get the best car possible for less than $20,000. Equipped with a Manual Transmission, the cars moves quick when it has to, and it's never failed in shifting smoothly under almost any situation thrown at it. There's plenty of room to keep back seat passengers happy, and lots of headroom for taller folks up front. It lacks some of the more upscale appointments like the soft-touch dash of previous models, but the plastics still seem very durable after a year of solid use. Equipped with Bridgestone Turanza tires, the winter handling could use a boost in deep snow, but that may be more the fault of the tires than the car. Overall, still the outstanding car that I picked out since the very beginning!"

Classy.

Good car for the money

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

Pros: "Fun 6 speed manual with 50 mpg!"

Cons: "Center arm rest too far back and tilted down."

"My parents purchased me a Silver VW Jetta Diesel. It is a 6 speed manual and I absolutely love it. It is a sharp looking car, it has all the friendly green options I love (leatherette seats and 48-50 mpg consistently). I get to go green and this car has acceleration I never expected from a diesel and will leave a Prius sitting in the dirt!!! It has the black interior with black BBS wheels my dad put on it for me. The satellite radio and bluetooth are a blast to own. It has multiple airbags, front wheel drive, stability and traction control, a huge trunk and room for 4 adults. I am in my last year of college and this car is a nice vehicle to drive home in and get around the campus. It looks "expensive" on the inside. Like it is a much higher priced car. It is very solid. And the gauges at night are so cool to look at (red) and I can see out of it very well. This car was not the higher priced VW with all the options out there, and I have the TomTom navigation in place but for less than 24K, my folks couldn't have bought me a nicer car. Everybody at school loves it and I hope I get as many miles out of it as my parents do from their Passat Diesel."

Great Practical Car

By on Monday, January 03, 2011

"My second TDI wagon ( 1st. was '03 ). '11 does eveything better. 48 MPG on 1st. highway trip."

Best car that I ever owned

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Pros: "Holds value and dependable"

Cons: "expensive to repair"

"I have owned many different Model/make cars prior to my 2001 Jetta that I purchased in 2001 and I still own my Jetta that has 100000 miles and I love very much. Instead of buying a new car, I decided to have my car fully serviced mechanically and detailed because I do not want to part with it. My Jetta is a GLS with everything, except leather seats. The car handles great in snow and is very dependable. Little expensive to fix when there is a repair that is needed, but it is worth it. A great car that holds great value!!"

Great fuel economy with a comfortable ride.

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

Pros: "Great fuel economy. Good comfort and ride."

Cons: "Small switches and controls."

"I purchased the car in February and I have just under 10K miles on it. It is a Jetta Diesel TDi with the 6 speed manual transmission. Overall, the car is very competent. It rides and handles very well and the seats are comfortable. The engine develops plenty of power and is quiet and smooth. The seats can use just a touch more lumbar support for longer trips. The measured-at-the-pump fuel economy runs between 42 (the first tank) to 48 MPG. It continues to improve as the car beaks in. Most of my driving is on mountainous backcountry roads. Highway mileage looks like it will be better than 50 MPG if you stay near the speed limit. The computer overestimates the fuel economy by about 5%, which is the difference between straight diesel and diesel with methanol in it. The car had a manufacturing defect (the fuel lines were installed backward) that kept it in the shop for a month. VW did make a car payment for me and also helped with some other expenses. Other minor complaints are the fuse panel cover buzzes and the plastic covers in the trunk tend to fall out. The switches and controls are clearly designed for someone with small fingers; I am not a big person and I have trouble using the switches when driving. There is a space in the back of the driver’s door map pocket that is big enough for your wallet to side into and get stuck. I put some foam in the space to keep this from happening again!!! I would recommend this car to anyone looking for great fuel economy. The car rides and handles better than my sisters Prius and it gets better fuel economy."

Great gas milage on TDI.

By on Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pros: "Cheap transportation"

Cons: "Bad rear suspension"

"Car drives and handles well, slightly under powered. Get anywhere from 37 up to on best days 63.3 mpg! I have the 6 speed and it has a lower final gear then the automatic. I am 6.3" and it is a little hard to get in and out but once seated I am comfortable. However rear suspension in particular is to soft and low. Had it in several times to dealer and they say the cars specs are good. I now have to install bilstein after market shocks to solve this problem at my own cost. They lent me a sedan during service and it does not have this problem. Think they would make the wagon more heavy duty but they did the opposite!"

not so sure on this car

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

"I have owned this car for about a year and a half but I have had to have it towed to the dealership twice...The first time at 8,000 they said the fuel injectors needed to be replaced..The second time was at 21,000 and this time I was told it was a wiring switch that the ignition used..I am worried because the warranty on this car goes at 30,000..I am hoping to read more reviews.."

A Great Car

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage, roomie, comfortable, quiet, smooth"

Cons: "Small in-cabin storage, vinyl seats"

"I've owned my 2010 Sportwagon TDI for almost 2 years now and couldn't be happier with it. It's not perfect, but overall, it's been a delight to own and drive. My driving is mixed between city traffic and freeway, and I don't think I've ever gotten less than 38 mpg on a tank. Wish there was an upholstery choice other than the vinyl, but it does look like leather, just doesn't breath like leather. In cabin storage is a bit lacking, and the location of the 12-volt power point isn't convenient, but the way the car drives makes up for it. Plenty of power, great brakes, quiet smooth ride.... and of course the great mileage. One could easily get 50 mpg on the highway if speeds are kept below 70, but what fun is that?"

German Engineering on an American Budget

By on Monday, January 09, 2012

Pros: "Aggressive styling, mature, great mileage"

Cons: "Odd transmission, push button start?"

"The newly redesigned base Jetta has the Volkswagen community in an uproar. Whether it is a critique of the nonchalant exterior styling or the less than adequate performance numbers, the negative feedback was clear- and Volkswagen listened. Back from hiatus, the 2012 Jetta GLI outperforms almost every car in its class (with the exception of it's 5-door sister, the GTI.) From the ground up, the new GLI strikes an aggressive chord in almost every category. The styling alone begs the driver to let loose on the throttle and have some fun because "fun" is what this car does exceptionally well. Strap on the Autobahn package and a spoiler lip and you will notice the crowd-pleasing glances on the road. The interior quality is unmistakably sporty but refined enough to blend in. Red stitching throughout gives the interior a distinct edge. Materials have a genuine feel and are soft to the touch. Ergonomics and overall interior design is intuitive and easy to navigate, but without question, the sports steering wheel is what will win your vote over everything else. It just feels right...sooo right. The car offers a strong, solid ride with noticeably little wind noise on the highway. The independent rear suspension really does allow the car to hug corners. Others might disagree with me, but I can't remember ever liking the sound of a 4-cylinder engine more. The exhaust note on the 200hp TSI engine gives me goose-bumps (and that's coming from a guy in love with throaty V-8 engines.) The DSG transmission takes some getting used to, but is snappy and responsive when you need it to be. If there is a negative quality about this car, it would be the drivetrain. Not because it isn't good, but because it does require some mental tuning at first. Test drive one- you'll understand. Volkswagen got this one right. Hopefully, the 2012 GLI quiets some of the negative chatter about this generation of Jetta. It's the kind of car that turns heads when you want it to but doesn't scream for attention everywhere it goes. Sipping gas while surging at stop lights is a wonderful combination. If you're looking for a car that will get you where you need to go in a fun but mature way, the 2012 GLI is right up your ally."

Most Useful Vehicle I have owned

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

"I am a grandpa in my 60s but I love cars and have owned many brands and styles including sports and convertibles. The Jetta TDI with the manual shift I have is fantastic. It is quick and nimble because it is light and has the turbo and the manual and it is actually fun to drive. But it is still a four door family car. I haul grandkids and there is plenty of room for three in rear; the trunk is huge about 15+ cu.ft- and the seats fold down, you can put big long stuff in there. I have Nav, Blue tooth, leather, good sound, power driver's seat, all for about $26k. I love BMW 3 series, but this car is 1/2 the price and a great value. But main reason for owning this car is the mileage. On diesel (yes it costs more) I get 30mpg combined and 40+ highway. I fill up a couple times a month and can go 450-500 miles on a tank."

Good fuel economy, gets dirty at rear-end

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Pros: "stable, solid build"

Cons: "more charging ports required"

"Review after 15000 miles with "conservative" driving habits. Mileage in city ( 4 miles to work) is 30 mpg, and Mileage on freeway with average speed of 65 mph (SFO to LAX) is 38 mpg. In stopped traffic (3 hours), this vehicle consumed only 1 gallon of diesel. (I am impressed by this - Stuck in a snow storm for 3 hours in Big Bear, CA, and this wagon practically did not use any fuel). This is a very stable wagon, and you'll very safe inside it. 4 issues I've with this vehicle : 1). Acceleration is not similar to gas/petrol cars - and there is a lag in acceleration. 2). Fast accumulation of dirt on rear-end (within 1 hour of freeway driving). After researching on various forums, it seems that it is because of aerodynamics, and not actually soot from fuel. Anyways, something to keep in mind when shopping for hatchback/wagen style vehicles. 3). Only single 12v charging port in passenger compartment. There is another 12v charging port in luggage compartment, but I've never used it. On long distance, both my wife and I need to charge my phone, but only one of us can use it at a time. 4). (Actually not an issue yet). But you may not be able to connect iPhone 5 (new connector) as a media device."

We love it

By on Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pros: "Fuel economy, driving experience, power, reliable"

Cons: "More plastics than previous, but better."

"We've had the car a little over a year and couldn't be happier. My wife commutes daily from Pasco to Pinellas and back, hence the 37k in a little over a year. Fit and finish is very nice. Everything is holding up well, especially compared to MK4 VW's. There are more plastics now, but the quality of them is far superior to previous models and hold up well to the daily commute and time with family and dog. The TDI gets better than advertised economy and pulls hard for what it is. Passing is a breeze. If we don't buy the new Passat TDI next, we would definitely buy another Jetta TDI. They are a joy to drive own and drive."

Electrical computer errors ruins great car

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, fun, great mileage"

Cons: "Repeated computer electrical problems"

"I wanted to love my Jetta, I really did. I thought it was an amazing deal for the money, and it's a blast to drive. Unfortunately I've had one computer and/or electrical problem on my particular car after another, and will be selling this. Engine light comes on randomly, cruise control stopped working, MP3 support was never turned on at factory before delivery, and now I have to attempt to start the car 3-8 times before it even tries to turn over. This may be a great car and I have the one problem child, but I"m over it."

2012 Jetta SE

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Great styling, clean interior design, handling"

Cons: "No HD radio, center armrest"

"I recently purchased a 2012 Jetta SE with Conveience package. Black exterior with corn silk interior. The convince package adds all the neccesites like bluetooth, leatherette seats (same as the 328i or MB C300), and 16 inch alloy wheels. The car looks sharp, with definite styling cues from the Audi line. I drive a 2003 Toyota Corolla for the last 8 years - so...I'm not sure what all the 'auto magazine' complaints are about when it comes to the interior. For the price point, the interior is very well done, and I prefer the simpler European styling to the overly angular and almost cartoon interiors of some of the Japanese or Korean cars, even some new Fords for that matter. The biggest complaint most reviews have is about the lack of 'soft touch' dashboard and doors. I don't know about you, but I don't regularly caress my dash, so I really don't see the concern. The 2.5 L engine provides more than ample power for a small car and has a nice tone. Six speed auto quickly and smoothly shifts thru the 6 gears. Too soon to review the reliability, but I did buy an extended warranty to 60k to cover myself, on our firs foray into German automobiles. Bottom line - good car at a price that is competitive with Corolla or Civic. Check it out."