2014 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $14,874 - $15,817.

10/7.1

8.4

Based on 304 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Not nearly as bad as the critics say

By on Sunday, May 22, 2011

"All the automotive writers say VW has completely cheaped out on the new Jetta, and complain over and over about the fact that the plastic on the dash isn't as soft as it was before, etc., but this is still a nice car. It's plenty quick with the 2.5L engine (wouldn't recommend the 2.0), and the ride is supple yet sporty. The interior is roomy and still has a classier feel than anything else in the price range (even the SE starts under $20K). It has lots of features for the money as well...in my opinion, the SE with convenience package is probably the best blend of price and features. Don't buy the negative hype...this thing is still worth a close look."

A thoroughly enjoyable experience

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive great value exceptional mileage"

Cons: "The icons on the heater control knobs"

"In the summer of 2009 after looking for a TDI for some time I finally acquired my first of two drove this car without a single complaint except for the fact that the original equipment tires were only worth about 15,000 miles. Drove it through a winter and halfway through decided that it needed real Vermont studded snow tires and once equipped with those completely and totally outperformed the Nissan Pathfinder that it was traded for. Remember is a front will as opposed to all-wheel-drive vehicle. I should've known better I've lived here my whole life but was talked into trying the "all season tires" and should of just bit the bullet out of the box. Unfortunately that great car succumbed to a traffic mishap and I am now on my second one, a 2012 with just a couple more amenities than were available in 2010. I really enjoy the Bluetooth connectivity, the MPI/iPod connectivity and the Sirius radio. Mechanically neither of these cars has had as much as a hiccup. Dealer services been exceptional, and they have been wonderful folks to deal with. If I were going to have any complaints whatsoever it would be that without paying too much attention to what's going on you can exceed local speed limits and I constantly find myself wanting to just drive it through the corners and accelerate down the straights. In my view an exceptional vehicle and I recommended to anyone. The only downside is my 16-year-old keep saying "but pops it's a wagon". Need to say the 40 to 55 miles per gallon of diesel make it an exceptional value as well. All in all a great experience and I'd buy another one tomorrow if I needed it."

An outstanding all-around-town car.

By on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pros: "Transmission, great price, very fun to drive"

Cons: "Winter tires would help"

Classy.

"The 2012 Jetta SE was less of a compromise and more of a confident attempt to get the best car possible for less than $20,000. Equipped with a Manual Transmission, the cars moves quick when it has to, and it's never failed in shifting smoothly under almost any situation thrown at it. There's plenty of room to keep back seat passengers happy, and lots of headroom for taller folks up front. It lacks some of the more upscale appointments like the soft-touch dash of previous models, but the plastics still seem very durable after a year of solid use. Equipped with Bridgestone Turanza tires, the winter handling could use a boost in deep snow, but that may be more the fault of the tires than the car. Overall, still the outstanding car that I picked out since the very beginning!"

Classy.

Good car for the money

By on Saturday, November 03, 2012

Pros: "Fun 6 speed manual with 50 mpg!"

Cons: "Center arm rest too far back and tilted down."

"My parents purchased me a Silver VW Jetta Diesel. It is a 6 speed manual and I absolutely love it. It is a sharp looking car, it has all the friendly green options I love (leatherette seats and 48-50 mpg consistently). I get to go green and this car has acceleration I never expected from a diesel and will leave a Prius sitting in the dirt!!! It has the black interior with black BBS wheels my dad put on it for me. The satellite radio and bluetooth are a blast to own. It has multiple airbags, front wheel drive, stability and traction control, a huge trunk and room for 4 adults. I am in my last year of college and this car is a nice vehicle to drive home in and get around the campus. It looks "expensive" on the inside. Like it is a much higher priced car. It is very solid. And the gauges at night are so cool to look at (red) and I can see out of it very well. This car was not the higher priced VW with all the options out there, and I have the TomTom navigation in place but for less than 24K, my folks couldn't have bought me a nicer car. Everybody at school loves it and I hope I get as many miles out of it as my parents do from their Passat Diesel."

Great Practical Car

By on Monday, January 03, 2011

"My second TDI wagon ( 1st. was '03 ). '11 does eveything better. 48 MPG on 1st. highway trip."

Best car that I ever owned

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Pros: "Holds value and dependable"

Cons: "expensive to repair"

"I have owned many different Model/make cars prior to my 2001 Jetta that I purchased in 2001 and I still own my Jetta that has 100000 miles and I love very much. Instead of buying a new car, I decided to have my car fully serviced mechanically and detailed because I do not want to part with it. My Jetta is a GLS with everything, except leather seats. The car handles great in snow and is very dependable. Little expensive to fix when there is a repair that is needed, but it is worth it. A great car that holds great value!!"

Great fuel economy with a comfortable ride.

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

Pros: "Great fuel economy. Good comfort and ride."

Cons: "Small switches and controls."

"I purchased the car in February and I have just under 10K miles on it. It is a Jetta Diesel TDi with the 6 speed manual transmission. Overall, the car is very competent. It rides and handles very well and the seats are comfortable. The engine develops plenty of power and is quiet and smooth. The seats can use just a touch more lumbar support for longer trips. The measured-at-the-pump fuel economy runs between 42 (the first tank) to 48 MPG. It continues to improve as the car beaks in. Most of my driving is on mountainous backcountry roads. Highway mileage looks like it will be better than 50 MPG if you stay near the speed limit. The computer overestimates the fuel economy by about 5%, which is the difference between straight diesel and diesel with methanol in it. The car had a manufacturing defect (the fuel lines were installed backward) that kept it in the shop for a month. VW did make a car payment for me and also helped with some other expenses. Other minor complaints are the fuse panel cover buzzes and the plastic covers in the trunk tend to fall out. The switches and controls are clearly designed for someone with small fingers; I am not a big person and I have trouble using the switches when driving. There is a space in the back of the driver’s door map pocket that is big enough for your wallet to side into and get stuck. I put some foam in the space to keep this from happening again!!! I would recommend this car to anyone looking for great fuel economy. The car rides and handles better than my sisters Prius and it gets better fuel economy."

Great gas milage on TDI.

By on Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pros: "Cheap transportation"

Cons: "Bad rear suspension"

"Car drives and handles well, slightly under powered. Get anywhere from 37 up to on best days 63.3 mpg! I have the 6 speed and it has a lower final gear then the automatic. I am 6.3" and it is a little hard to get in and out but once seated I am comfortable. However rear suspension in particular is to soft and low. Had it in several times to dealer and they say the cars specs are good. I now have to install bilstein after market shocks to solve this problem at my own cost. They lent me a sedan during service and it does not have this problem. Think they would make the wagon more heavy duty but they did the opposite!"

not so sure on this car

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

"I have owned this car for about a year and a half but I have had to have it towed to the dealership twice...The first time at 8,000 they said the fuel injectors needed to be replaced..The second time was at 21,000 and this time I was told it was a wiring switch that the ignition used..I am worried because the warranty on this car goes at 30,000..I am hoping to read more reviews.."

A Great Car

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage, roomie, comfortable, quiet, smooth"

Cons: "Small in-cabin storage, vinyl seats"

"I've owned my 2010 Sportwagon TDI for almost 2 years now and couldn't be happier with it. It's not perfect, but overall, it's been a delight to own and drive. My driving is mixed between city traffic and freeway, and I don't think I've ever gotten less than 38 mpg on a tank. Wish there was an upholstery choice other than the vinyl, but it does look like leather, just doesn't breath like leather. In cabin storage is a bit lacking, and the location of the 12-volt power point isn't convenient, but the way the car drives makes up for it. Plenty of power, great brakes, quiet smooth ride.... and of course the great mileage. One could easily get 50 mpg on the highway if speeds are kept below 70, but what fun is that?"

German Engineering on an American Budget

By on Monday, January 09, 2012

Pros: "Aggressive styling, mature, great mileage"

Cons: "Odd transmission, push button start?"

"The newly redesigned base Jetta has the Volkswagen community in an uproar. Whether it is a critique of the nonchalant exterior styling or the less than adequate performance numbers, the negative feedback was clear- and Volkswagen listened. Back from hiatus, the 2012 Jetta GLI outperforms almost every car in its class (with the exception of it's 5-door sister, the GTI.) From the ground up, the new GLI strikes an aggressive chord in almost every category. The styling alone begs the driver to let loose on the throttle and have some fun because "fun" is what this car does exceptionally well. Strap on the Autobahn package and a spoiler lip and you will notice the crowd-pleasing glances on the road. The interior quality is unmistakably sporty but refined enough to blend in. Red stitching throughout gives the interior a distinct edge. Materials have a genuine feel and are soft to the touch. Ergonomics and overall interior design is intuitive and easy to navigate, but without question, the sports steering wheel is what will win your vote over everything else. It just feels right...sooo right. The car offers a strong, solid ride with noticeably little wind noise on the highway. The independent rear suspension really does allow the car to hug corners. Others might disagree with me, but I can't remember ever liking the sound of a 4-cylinder engine more. The exhaust note on the 200hp TSI engine gives me goose-bumps (and that's coming from a guy in love with throaty V-8 engines.) The DSG transmission takes some getting used to, but is snappy and responsive when you need it to be. If there is a negative quality about this car, it would be the drivetrain. Not because it isn't good, but because it does require some mental tuning at first. Test drive one- you'll understand. Volkswagen got this one right. Hopefully, the 2012 GLI quiets some of the negative chatter about this generation of Jetta. It's the kind of car that turns heads when you want it to but doesn't scream for attention everywhere it goes. Sipping gas while surging at stop lights is a wonderful combination. If you're looking for a car that will get you where you need to go in a fun but mature way, the 2012 GLI is right up your ally."

Most Useful Vehicle I have owned

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

"I am a grandpa in my 60s but I love cars and have owned many brands and styles including sports and convertibles. The Jetta TDI with the manual shift I have is fantastic. It is quick and nimble because it is light and has the turbo and the manual and it is actually fun to drive. But it is still a four door family car. I haul grandkids and there is plenty of room for three in rear; the trunk is huge about 15+ cu.ft- and the seats fold down, you can put big long stuff in there. I have Nav, Blue tooth, leather, good sound, power driver's seat, all for about $26k. I love BMW 3 series, but this car is 1/2 the price and a great value. But main reason for owning this car is the mileage. On diesel (yes it costs more) I get 30mpg combined and 40+ highway. I fill up a couple times a month and can go 450-500 miles on a tank."

Good fuel economy, gets dirty at rear-end

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Pros: "stable, solid build"

Cons: "more charging ports required"

"Review after 15000 miles with "conservative" driving habits. Mileage in city ( 4 miles to work) is 30 mpg, and Mileage on freeway with average speed of 65 mph (SFO to LAX) is 38 mpg. In stopped traffic (3 hours), this vehicle consumed only 1 gallon of diesel. (I am impressed by this - Stuck in a snow storm for 3 hours in Big Bear, CA, and this wagon practically did not use any fuel). This is a very stable wagon, and you'll very safe inside it. 4 issues I've with this vehicle : 1). Acceleration is not similar to gas/petrol cars - and there is a lag in acceleration. 2). Fast accumulation of dirt on rear-end (within 1 hour of freeway driving). After researching on various forums, it seems that it is because of aerodynamics, and not actually soot from fuel. Anyways, something to keep in mind when shopping for hatchback/wagen style vehicles. 3). Only single 12v charging port in passenger compartment. There is another 12v charging port in luggage compartment, but I've never used it. On long distance, both my wife and I need to charge my phone, but only one of us can use it at a time. 4). (Actually not an issue yet). But you may not be able to connect iPhone 5 (new connector) as a media device."

We love it

By on Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pros: "Fuel economy, driving experience, power, reliable"

Cons: "More plastics than previous, but better."

"We've had the car a little over a year and couldn't be happier. My wife commutes daily from Pasco to Pinellas and back, hence the 37k in a little over a year. Fit and finish is very nice. Everything is holding up well, especially compared to MK4 VW's. There are more plastics now, but the quality of them is far superior to previous models and hold up well to the daily commute and time with family and dog. The TDI gets better than advertised economy and pulls hard for what it is. Passing is a breeze. If we don't buy the new Passat TDI next, we would definitely buy another Jetta TDI. They are a joy to drive own and drive."

Electrical computer errors ruins great car

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, fun, great mileage"

Cons: "Repeated computer electrical problems"

"I wanted to love my Jetta, I really did. I thought it was an amazing deal for the money, and it's a blast to drive. Unfortunately I've had one computer and/or electrical problem on my particular car after another, and will be selling this. Engine light comes on randomly, cruise control stopped working, MP3 support was never turned on at factory before delivery, and now I have to attempt to start the car 3-8 times before it even tries to turn over. This may be a great car and I have the one problem child, but I"m over it."

2012 Jetta SE

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Great styling, clean interior design, handling"

Cons: "No HD radio, center armrest"

"I recently purchased a 2012 Jetta SE with Conveience package. Black exterior with corn silk interior. The convince package adds all the neccesites like bluetooth, leatherette seats (same as the 328i or MB C300), and 16 inch alloy wheels. The car looks sharp, with definite styling cues from the Audi line. I drive a 2003 Toyota Corolla for the last 8 years - so...I'm not sure what all the 'auto magazine' complaints are about when it comes to the interior. For the price point, the interior is very well done, and I prefer the simpler European styling to the overly angular and almost cartoon interiors of some of the Japanese or Korean cars, even some new Fords for that matter. The biggest complaint most reviews have is about the lack of 'soft touch' dashboard and doors. I don't know about you, but I don't regularly caress my dash, so I really don't see the concern. The 2.5 L engine provides more than ample power for a small car and has a nice tone. Six speed auto quickly and smoothly shifts thru the 6 gears. Too soon to review the reliability, but I did buy an extended warranty to 60k to cover myself, on our firs foray into German automobiles. Bottom line - good car at a price that is competitive with Corolla or Civic. Check it out."

First VW - most likely not my last!

By on Monday, June 27, 2011

Pros: "Roominess, Fun to Drive, Great Value"

"After months of reading reviews, I finally gave the 2011 VW Jetta a test drive. I don't know what these "professional reviewers" are thinking...I was sold on the first drive. VW may have "cheapened" the interior from previous models, however it still looks great. I personally would rather the changes that VW did than cost cutting things like sound dampening, engine, or safety features. The car is plenty quick, and is a joy to drive. Even more so with the speed....err..I mean sport mode. The car handles great and runs true. I have put on 9,450 mile on this car in 6 months and has been nothing but comfortable, and reliable. I have had many friends tell me how they could not believe how comfortable and good looking the car is. Many of which are not fans of VW, constantly tell me how much they like the car. On top of the great car, is the great service I get from VW. Their sales staff are a pleasure to work with and made this the best car purchase I have ever had."

Best kept secret in the States

By on Thursday, June 02, 2011

Pros: "All around great car, eco friendly"

Cons: "Unexpected speeding tickets"

"My 2011 TDI was the best all around car buy available. Almost 240 lbs of torque and over 40 mpg - are you kidding me? The backseat and trunk are super roomy and fit adult Americans comfortably. The layout of the instrumentation is practical and sensical. The heated seats are comfy. The safety features make it a top safety pick. 10,000 between oil changes and care free maintenance for 30,000 miles. Its appearance is sporty, yet practical - an understated expression of boldness. Bluetooth, iPod adapter, etc. There is a good distance between the TDI and other Jettas, but Volkswagen has made a believer out of me."

No suprise here

By on Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"I had a 2001 Passat or should I say my wife had it and LOVED it. We tried to buy a TDI two years ago but couldn't get anywhere close to a decent deal. That changed in Dec 2010. We made a deal on the sportswagon TDI to replace my Honda van which was getting about 18 mpg city and I wanted something big enough to haul stuff but wanted to get good MPG .Drove from SE Wisconsin to South Texas using two and a half tanks of deisel, average fill was 11 gallons, an average of 44.7 mpg. VERY comfortable to sit in for 10 plus hours. The odometer and trip meter stopped working and when I got back was fixed by replacing the whole unit. Other than that I average 38.5 city/highway driving. Oh and my wife took over my Sprotswagen she LOVES it and it has MORE than enough get up and go for either of us."

Great car.

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

"One of the most fuel efficient vehicles on the road. Recent trip from mich to Florida. I 75 driving At 70 mph. Got 55 mpg. Only thing I have a problem with is the navigation system. But them I'm not a big tech person Overall my jetta premium tdi with navi for the k Last two years. Has been fantastic"

Best Car I've ever owned

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "Everything about the car is fantastic"

"I purchased a new 2013 Jetta TDI. I drove it home, (about 200 miles) and right off the bat the vehicle was getting about 42 MPG. The car has performed flawless and has had no problems what-so-ever. I have noticed my MPG has gone up to 45 MPG with just over 3000 miles on it. Being an "Old School" kind of guy, I returned the Jetta for an Oil change at just over 1000 miles. VW requests that the oil be changed every 10000 miles (FREE FOR THE FIRST 3 CHANGES). These TDI's really hold their value. Not one used available in my local area. It seems people love to keep them in the family. The one thing I've noticed. Use CHEVRON DIESEL. Car runs better and the MPG is a little higher. Chevron Diesel does cost more, but the MPG will make up the difference. I'm VERY HAPPY WITH MY JETTA TDI."

Unbelievable Bang for the Buck!

By on Saturday, October 05, 2013

Pros: "Mileage, Turbo Power & Styling"

Cons: "Double Clutch... takes some getting used to"

"I purchased this car for my husband who drives a pretty fair amount. His mom is two hours away and our son in college is nearly seven hours from us. I chose black exterior with cream interior and we couldn't be happier! This car is GORGEOUS! It's rich and expensive looking without the price tag of a Benz or Beemer. And best of all - it's a diesel that boasts over 34 MPG city and consistently gets 52 MPG on the highway! WOW! And that's with a turbo charged 4 cycl engine! It's also well appointed with easy to use options and a well-laid out driver surround. I get car sick sometimes so riding in back with my family is often an option for me. The backseat of the Jetta is quite comfortable. My only issues are the double clutch which takes some getting used to. Also, the Jetta doesn't come with power seats. (One has to upgrade to the Passat to get that feature.) Best car/styling/mileage for $26K on the market! You just can't beat it!"

my wife love it!! I would rather have a 6 sp manu

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "great VW fun to drive great size lots of room"

Cons: "Nav awful so is arm rest."

"The Nav system is awful!! Has all kinds of wrong information. The arm rest us too far back to be of any use for a shorter person. Gets over 51 MPG on trips and aroud 45 city. This is my 7 Deisel. It has replaced my 96 Passat TDI which has over 468,000 miles and is now the back up car."

Great fun car

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "Cost of driving is low, great pep and fun to drive"

Cons: "No real leather or power seat option"

"I drive over 5000 miles per month and have not had any problems. The fuel cost is still less than 10 cents per mile even though diesel is much higher than gasoline. The car handles great and is fun to drive in all road and weather conditions. I tried hybreds but did not like the handling and performance. This car has super pep considering it has a 2 liter four, it certainly performs as well as my 6-cylinder Lexus"

Not the Best Car... Not the Worst.

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "47-50mpg freeway, comfortable seats, A4 styling"

Cons: "DSG is clunky, 25mpg city, poor interior quality"

Classy! If only it weren't so clunky...

"I have a love-hate relationship with the Jetta TDI (Premium/DSG). As a freeway car it is extremely comfortable, smooth and fuel efficient. On the streets… not so much. A great example is with the diesel milage. Averaging 47mpg is easy on the freeway, even on short trips. When you get to the inner city however, 25mpg is the norm. The longer you can go without stopping, the closer you stay to the speed limit, the greater the reward. Another great example is the transmission, smooth as silk on the freeway, but when you hit the street, the experience is clunky and overbearing. Going 15mph, the car will buck and jump as the DSG decides how it's going to handle power from the engine. If you try to coast to a stop the DSG will immediately try to jump to a lower gear to slow the car down with the engine and make a final bumpy lurch as you step on the brake. This makes city driving as unsettling as it is inefficient. When going down hills the DSG also likes to jump to a higher gear way to early, even while coasting forcing you to use neutral. To make matters worse, the DSG lets a lot of vibration and noise through to the cabin when driving on the street. DSG issues are slightly worse when it is cold and slightly better when it is warm out. The DSG problems subside when you leave it in sport mode, but that severely eats into fuel savings. As far as reliability goes, the car is shaky. Right out of the gate at 900 miles it broke down in a parking lot and I lost almost a full day of work. After that I had intermittent starting problems until summer when they subsided. I've also had trouble with rattles from just about every part of the interior. This is an especially big problem when you play music, even at a low volume every plastic part in the car will hum. Along with the headliner falling down and door moldings coming loose at 4,000 miles, and a software reset at 3,500 miles I'd say interior fit and finish is sub par at best. Heres the bottom line: The car has the looks of a classy A4 and is roomy enough to please any client passenger. The modern touch screen and connectivity features like bluetooth and SiriusXM are fantastic as well. If you drive 80/20 freeway and live in the burbs, you will probably not be hassled with the DSG and experience fuel mileage that rivals the Prius. If you are a 50/50 driver like me that makes a lot of stops, you will be severely disappointed in the performance and ride quality. From an overall quality standpoint I would be wary about claims made by VW. New cars shouldn't break down, have starting problems, or have parts fall off. If you buy it, make sure you load up on extra warranty."

Classy! If only it weren't so clunky...