2014 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $14,018 - $14,767.

10/7.1

Based on 262 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

cheap feeling, unsatisfying drive.

By on Saturday, January 24, 2015

"I absolutely loved my 2009 Jetta Wolfsburg (2.0T) but it was getting high miles so I thought I'd trade it in for the new Jetta. In hindsight, I really wish I had kept my MKV. This new MKVI style feels dumbed down and the quality is not nearly up to par with the MKV. Cheap plastic dash, versus the soft touch before. Leatherette feels much more rubbery that before. Then engine note makes me feel sad compared to the MKV. I still can't find a really comfortable seating position even after a year of owning it. The radio in this car is by far the worst I've heard of any car I've owned. The MKV had 10 speakers which put out some really decent range. The MKVI has 6 speakers that sound worse than a Fisher Price walkie-talkie. Even after upgrading speakers, the sound just isn't satisfying and all the doors have rattled the entire time I have owned it. I'm sure I could think of more but I won't bother. As soon as I break even, I'm trading it in, maybe sooner."

Best buy in sedans

By on Thursday, January 22, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, roomy and economical."

Cons: "Needs a few more ponies under the hood"

"The Jetta gives you the interior space of a Mercedes C class with the price of a Korean car. The handling is best in class. The warranty was best in class. The 2.0 liter engine is rated at 114hp, yet you can stay with traffic with no problem, and you can wind it out without stressing the engine. I have exceeded epa gas ratings of 24 and 34 with 28 and 37 mpg. The interior is spacious and comfortable, with the rear seat folding flat for cargo and a trunk you can put a couple of bodies in. Included is a full size spare. No inflation kit or compact spare. The car is fun to drive, period."

Bland and slow

By on Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Reason: Didn't like it

Pros: "Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Very sluggish, bland"

"Very bad car, owned it for one year. It's very bland, engine is sluggish and uncomfortable"

nice

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Pros: "drive"

"It was good"

Get the better engine

By on Sunday, January 11, 2015

Pros: "Good price, good styling"

Cons: "Sluggish engine and transmission"

"I have owned this car for nearly one year. Driving is sluggish with the entry-level engine. Fuel economy is not as advertised. First VW purchase and likely my last. Not impressed."

cheapened vw jetta tdi

By on Thursday, January 08, 2015

Pros: "truly over priced"

Cons: "cheap plastic interior"

"Inferior interior, old fashioned look. Drives well, peppy great mileage, but why pay for diesel. Engine is quality, but overpriced maintenance and failure of many small components make it an overpriced purchase. Extended warranty is quite overpriced. I will return to Toyota."

Okay, but could be better... .

By on Thursday, January 08, 2015

"Bought the Sportwagen TDI primarily for the fuel efficiency; having driven a number of TDI Golfs in the UK and getting over 65 mpg ('real' gallons!). A bit disappointed that with the US version I only get about 49 mpg (US gallons - or 56mpg UK gallons); we previously had a Fiat 500 and got 45 mpg. Further problem is the alloy wheels; having had the first service at about 6000 miles we were told that all four needed replacing/repairing at over $1000/$650; we have a VW Beetle with steel rims and use it alternatively on the same routes with no issues (and have had cars with alloys before, never with any problems) - maybe a size of car to rim problem - certainly the rims really aren't fit for purpose... . Despite these issues, it's okay (would have preferred a Passat wagon - but they stopped selling those in the US). It drives well, has good acceleration."

great ride

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2014

"sturdy, great ride"

quality not what it used to be

By on Friday, December 26, 2014

Pros: "peppy, good mpg, roomy"

Cons: "reduced quality from previous years"

"We typically LOVE our VW's and have owned several over the years...and now our kids own them as well. I has been several years since we purchased our last new Jetta and I can tel you that we have been quite disappointed in the "cheapening" of the car. They have made several reductions in quality and convenience that are greatly missed from our previous models. Hidden truck hinges are a thing of the past for VW, opting instead for large intruding hinge arms so I can no longer pack my trunk full. Gas struts on the hood have been replaced with a prop rod. Engine temp gauge is missing, which we watched all the time to determine when the engine was warm enough to turn the heat on. Leather is no longer an interior option, and it doesn't get nearly as good a fuel mileage as our last Jetta TDI (we got 49-51 consistently for over 400k miles, new car has yet to break 41mpg) If it weren't for the mileage of the TDI (even at the reduced milage it's still better than most out there) we would have opted for a higher quality vehicle. We LOVED our previous Jetta, we tolerate this one."

Love my Jetta.

By on Sunday, December 21, 2014

"Love this car. (Diesel) Get 47 mpg all the time. Have got over 50 on long trips. Handles great and accelerates well. Exceeds my expectations for all aspects of driving."

Loving my TDI w/ 6-speed manual

By on Saturday, December 20, 2014

Pros: "fun, fuel economy, sporty"

"I traded my 2014 Honda civic coupe in on this vehicle and am really glad I did! It drives like a dream! It is fun, sporty and GREAT on fuel! I have driven almost 200 miles since filling it up and have barely used a 1/4 of a tank! I would recommend this car to anyone"

Good vehicle

By on Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive and economical to maintain"

Cons: "interior materials are inferior"

"This is my second Jetta TDI. This time I opted for all of the options. The vehicle has been very reliable with zero mechanical issues during the first 35K miles. The only issues that I have experienced have been with the inferior interior materials. Love the mileage and reliability!!"

Quite impressed

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Cons: "Cloth interior"

"Very happy with my 2012 Jetta. I owned a 2005 Dodge Neon when I turned 16 and totaled it when I went to college, and after that I owned a 2000 Buick Century and of course neither of those compare! My opinion might be a bit biased since the Jetta is much nicer than my two previous cars, but I don't see my opinion changing anytime soon. Everyone I have known to own a Jetta has absolutely loved it."

I love my Jetta so far !

By on Thursday, December 11, 2014

Pros: "quiet, great clutch and shifter feel, good MPG's"

Cons: "smidge more power would be ok, 60K timing belt"

"Had my Jetta for 2 months. Its my daily commuter. I traded in a 2013 Versa Sedan for the Jetta. I was not in the market for a car but saw VW had a sale in October for 5K off sticker ! My Jetta S 5 speed was 17,700 and I got it for 12,700 plus taxes. It was a no brainer as that was nearly the amount of the Versa. The Jetta is a quiet, steady , sturdy machine. It is not a speed demon but I was looking for the cheapest Jetta not the fastest. The S has lots of bang for the buck like keyless entry with truck release, an AUX jack for the radio etc. The seats are firm but my big body is getting used to them. Fit and finish is superb and even with the 2.0 its a more than adequate interstate cruiser. I wish it had cruise control and an I-pod interface. I average 36mpg and get over 40 on the interstate."

Great car, fuel economy great, solid fun, quick

By on Friday, December 05, 2014

"I can't be more pleased with my car. 42 mpg overall, plus quick enough to be fun. I like the fact that the car leaves a much smaller "carbon footprint" than it's hybrid competition. VW doesn't take weight out of the body to get it's fuel economy so you still have that safe, solid German feel."

Car has a lot of electrical problems Lemon car

By on Sunday, November 30, 2014

Pros: "great gas"

Cons: "not a tough car I feel like it can break any time"

"We have had this car for 2 years it has devaluated so fast and it's has given so much problems with electrial. I know people are very happy with their Jettas it's sad that we have had such bad experience. We Want get rid of it soon. Their customer service was great."

Affordable and Very Nice Ride

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pros: "Roomy, Fun to Drive, Quiet, Quality Driving Feel"

Cons: "Prop rod for engine hood, No engine temp guage"

"I bought my 2014 Jetta in March. My 2001 Jetta GL had given me great reliability and good service for 169000 miles and is still running great. After I sold it to a colleague I bought my new one. It has 10000 miles already and has been trouble free. It is roomy and quiet. The exterior and interior are not flashy but then neither am I. There is no learning curve for the controls in the interior. Everything is well laid out and easy to use. The seats are supportive and have lumbar support. The ride is firm but not harsh. The new 1.8 turbo engine is super. It does not use oil. My best mileage is 42.3 mpg but averages 32-34 mpg in combined city/highway driving. The 6 speed automatic shifts down quickly, keeping the rpm's relatively low. All you need to do to accelerate quickly is step on the gas. Trust me, the 1.8 has plenty of power. The SE drives like a larger car. Lots of trunk space too."

The Frugal Man's (or Women's) Audi

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pros: "So fun to drive, fantastic MPG, comfort, sporty!"

Cons: "Wish the SE had navigation and Fender sound system"

I call him The Red Baron...or sometimes Dieter. :)

"I adore my car. I have a 2014 Jetta SE with connectivity and a sunroof, so I got the one with the updated engine and suspension but not the slightly redesigned front grill that the 2015 has. It took me a while to narrow down cars. I didn't want a vehicle with a CVT and I had good luck with my 1998 VW New Beetle, so I started thinking about returning to Volkswagen. Originally I had my eye on the VW CC but after driving a Honda Accord coupe with a low roof for 10 years and seeing a CC parked next to it with the same sloping low roofline, I decided I wanted more room. I test-drove a Jetta and a Passat during a dealer visit and fell in love with both, but decided the Passat was just too much car for my basic needs; the Jetta was the right size and more sportier. It's one of those cars that looks better up close and in person than in photographs at certain angles. The overall design, apart from the front grill, actually reminds me a lot of its more expensive cousins, the Audi A3 and A4. There's a picture online showing the Jetta and the Audi A4 side profiles and it's hard to tell them apart. It's hard to believe that other reviewers can say this is an uncomfortable car to drive with poor visibility. I find the leatherette seats very comfortable and the ride extremely smooth...going over bumps compared to the rough riding Honda coupe I had previously owned is much easier to take. The room in the back seat of this car is amazing--I would imagine someone 6' or a bit taller would find it comfortable. The trunk is also huge...and yet the car is still considered a compact size; at least, I find it easy to park and back out of spaces. My gas mileage is outstanding. I think I'm averaging around 37-38 mpg and that's with mixed highway and city driving. I also haven't had to add any oil to the engine. The dashboard design is austere and German, but I love it that way...other car brands really go overboard with buttons, knobs, and unnecessary doodads. The radio system in my Honda was a bit crisper, and I wish my SE came with the Fender audio that the SELs get but it still sounds nice and I can't complain. I love having Sirius. I have a cream interior in my car and that makes a huge difference with the dashboard and interior, as it's really two toned compared to the staunch all black interior. With no kids or dogs I don't have to worry about it getting too dirty. My dealer also gave me Monster Mats for the winter months for free. Speaking of winter, I have yet to drive the car in snow...but in the rain, even heavy downpours and going through puddles, I feel safe and it hugs the road. 170 hp may not sound like much, but I find the turbo engine fast with little lag, and don't feel any difference in getting up to speed compared to the 240 hp in my Honda. I read somewhere that VW and Audi tend to underrate the power of their engines. I also have zero qualms about the car being made in Mexico. There's a video on YouTube of the Puebla VW plant and it's pretty clear the company oversees everything...even the car parts located nearby are German companies. This is a very solid feeling car and the doors slam with a heavy "thunk" when you shut them! Besides, I plan on sticking to the maintenance schedule (which is every 10,000 miles/year) and keeping my baby for as long as possible."

I call him The Red Baron...or sometimes Dieter. :)

60 Highway / 40 City | Quiet Ride | My best car

By on Monday, November 24, 2014

Pros: "60 Highway / 40 City | Quiet Ride | Value"

Cons: "Traction control cannot be deactivated."

"2011 Jetta TDI Sedan w/ Convenience Package, Manual I have traded and driven 9 vehicles ranging from 2009 to 2011 models. This one i have had for the longest at...20 months and 20,000 miles. While the reviews say that the 2011 Jetta is of a lesser build quality, my Jetta is the most quiet ride i've ever been in. I enjoy the simple, yet pretty dash, the quiet ride, and the crazy good mileage. My model in a 2015 year has an MSRP of about 26,000, so maybe 24,000 after discounts. I have yet to find a better value for the money, especially for a new car price. Handles way better and is much more quiet than say.. a 2012ish model Honda Accord EX at about 27-29k new."

Audi A4 performance for VW Price Tag

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pros: "Sporty yet practical, premium feel for less $$"

Cons: "Missing a few top notch refinements and features"

"I recently traded my high performance Volvo S60R for a 2013 VW GLI. I was hesitant because I had become spoiled by the Volvo's amazing power, luxury options and overall attention to clean design detail. I spent countless hours doing research and decided to test drive a few cars, the 2013 GLI being one of them. I was immediately impressed with the sporty feel of the GLI, the handling and tight road feel were right up my alley, and finding a manual transmission excited me as well. The small details like the red stitching, ergonomically friendly layout of instruments (typical VW) and overall "feel" of the car convinced me to make the purchase. I was surprised by the rear legroom in this car, it is HUGE compared to other cars I looked at. It has more room than the Mercedes E class! I LOVE this car and it is a JOY to drive every day. The only slight drawbacks are: * Small Navigation screen (that said, the "heads up" display in the center panel keeps your eyes forward) * Driver seat adjustments-- lacking lumbar support and the ability to raise or lower the FRONT of the seat itself, I tend to prefer the back of the seat low but the front raised for a more supportive feeling * Rain sensing wipers: I loved this feature on my 6 year older Volvo-- spoiled I know, but I suppose I will get used to it * Multi-disc changer: again, spoiled by the Volvo I suppose Overall, I'd buy this car again in a heartbeat. It is just the right mix of practical and sporty for me."

Not worth the price

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage"

Cons: "Uncomfortable, hard to see, bad design, cheap."

"I purchased this car less than six months ago and I actually hate it! I have attempted to get another car and was told this car was worth almost $10,000.00 less than I paid for it. I did my research and I got a good deal based on the KBB ratings. I am livid with VW. This car is so uncomfortable to drive, it jerks when acceleration is needed quickly, like oncoming traffic. The NAV system is hard to use and clunky, sound system is only fair and the sun roof is built in such a way that the sun shines directly into your eyes when its open. The seats are hard, hard to adjust and cheap material. Visibility is poor as it sits so low to the ground. Also, the diesel engine hates the cold and creaks and squeeks all the time. The only redeeming quality of this car is the gas mileage, which is very good."

In love with my Jetta

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

Pros: "interior, quickness, price, sleekness, hands-free"

Cons: "sound system needs upgrading"

"I previously owned Honda's and Dodge's, this is my first VW. I must say I am very impressed with the Turbo engine, and the Connectivity features. This car is much more than I expected! My ONLY complaint would be that it doesnt have the smooth ride like my Dodge, but it is smoother than my Honda Civic. Between the gas mileage, the roomy interior, the clean sleek dash, the quickness of the engine, and the heated extremely comfortable seats, this is my all tie favorite car! Well worth the $$, and will probably buy another VW in the future!!"

Love It :) This car is my Baby

By on Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Pros: "Great Drive, Quiet, amazing Handling, Price"

Cons: "Leatherette is Required on an SE"

Her Name is Lucy :)

"I purchased this vehicle under Volkswagens First time buyer program at the age of 18. I Absolutely love this car. I highly recommend going with the SE over the S model and there are a few reasons to that. The SE comes with Leatherette seats (which I am not a fan of, but it helps resale value) as well as a higher stereo system, and cruise control! I priced out an S with cruise control (approx. $800 extra) an that was set me to get the SE based on price. Why not get more, for a little more right? Overall I have driven this car to South Dakota, Nevada, Utah and Wyoming. So with that said she has seen all types of terrain. This car is a front wheel drive, but has no problem in the snow and rain or even in the mountains. Which was a major concern when I purchased the vehicle. As of right now, I don't know that I will ever drive another car that is not a Volkswagen. They really know how to make a car. The ride is impeccable. The road noise is non existent. The motor is so quiet sometimes I don't even know if my car is running."

Her Name is Lucy :)

vinyl seats cheap looking

By on Saturday, November 01, 2014

Pros: "expected more quality for the price of this car"

Cons: "cheap vinyl seats"

"small things continue to need fixing, not as depending as toyotas I had for many years. Next car will be toyota again, not VW. Disappointed in quality."

A Great Value For The Money

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, roomy, quiet, comfy"

Cons: "no temp gauge, prop rod for hood"

"I now have over 7000 miles on my SE and it drives great! The ride is firm, quiet and comfortable. On a recent trip to the coast we got 39-40 mpg on the highway. My highest mileage was 41.3 and I average 33-34 to and from work. Exterior and interior appearance is simple and functional. I'm not a big "whistles and bells" guy so this car was a perfect fit. The new 1.8T engine has plenty of pep The 6 speed Tiptronic is set up to keep the rpm's low but will get peppy as the gas pedal is pushed. Very roomy. Drives like more expensive car."