2014 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,064 - $21,849.

10/7.1

Based on 215 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat!

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Pros: "Near Prius MPG with Cool Dad driving appeal"

Cons: "DSG transmission takes some getting used to"

"So to start I've driven trucks more often than anything else but recently moved to a much more urban area and couldn't see myself commuting or even parking my 4 door Tundra in this mess. We had been using my wife's 2003 Corolla as the family car when gas mileage was an issue. I had been eyeing the TDI Sportwagen for about 6 months. I wanted maximum cargo space, performance and over 30 MPG. I test drove the Outback thinking I needed AWD because I was replacing a truck. The 4 cycl maxed out at something like 32 MPG (when you're nursing it) and I wasn't impressed with the power. The next day I test drove my TDI Sportwagen. HOLY SMOKES! The DSG transmission takes some getting used to, especially at low RPMs, but when you put your foot in the pedal it does exactly what you want. Doesn't matter what speed you're at either. I recently drove to Texas with my wife and 2 kids, all of our luggage, plus a full size cooler in the back. We even picked stuff up on the way without any issues or luggage racks. I was averaging 39 MPG while doing 9 MPH or more over the speed limit at all times. I nursed it the first 550 miles and got 46mpg but I got tired of being in the slow lane. When I wanted to pass a truck while doing 80, I blew past them with no problem. I had to watch myself a little bit because you can hit 100mph in no time. (I know I'm a horrible person, blah blah) The steering is very responsive, the 4 wheel disc brakes stop on a dime, the diesel engine is quiet and purrs only slightly louder than a gasoline engine. Not like the old school diesels. The Panoramic sunroof was a huge selling point for me. My kids can look at the sky while I'm driving and see things they never could before. It's gianormous. I've never run into an issue where I needed to haul something too large for the cargo space, and I've hauled vanity's, toilets, 7 ft long boards, IKEA boxes, you name it. I'd say the only thing I'm not ecstatic about is a slight buzzing noise coming from the center console that is going to get looked at by the dealer at my 10k checkup. Did I mention that maintenance intervals are 10k miles and are free for the first 30k?"

Poor launch

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, good mpg"

Cons: "Quality and reliability not there-launched poorly"

"Have had engine trouble for about 1 month now. Vehicle is only 3 months old. EPC light and engine light have come on repeatedly and dealer is stumped on what is going on with it. Considering pursuing the lemon clause to purchase a TDI or other make altogether"

Better than a hybrid

By on Thursday, December 22, 2011

"This car costs about the same as a Prius. It gets 42 MPG on the highway. Its quick and handles great. I've driven a Prius from Atlanta to NH. I was scared to go over 70mph. And the brakes were ridicules. The 5 to 10 mpg gain that you get from the Toyota is not worth it."

its a good car not a couch!

By on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pros: "a back basic car , just a good car"

Cons: "for get the frills its a car duh!"

"good car. it gets the job done.it was nit picked apart in consumers report for seatcovering, the carpet,no liner in the hood top or trunk lind,etc . i think consumers report is forgetting what a car is for ,it is first supposied to be safe, provide a good ride, handle and have good enough pick up to keep you out of danger. the new jetta does all that at a modest price. it is a well driving car,quite enough for most . the inter yes is plastic, but it is easy to maintain and the seats are comfortable, the is good room in the front and back seats also. the transmission auto does seem to heist alittle in 2nd to third gear but it is livable. the sport mode gives a good boast of power when needed. braking is good.drum brakes in the back will out last disk breaks. consumers dislikes drum breaks no problem for me. gas mileage is 29 mpg or so on the highway and i drive fast 75-80 plus. so it is not fancy enough for consumers reports But it does its job well can u ask for more? i buy a car to drive first frills second ."

Good TDI engine

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage"

Cons: "Higher price,"

"This car is amazing on gas mileage, the most ive gone on a tank is 600 miles just driving from work and back. The only problems this car has is the light lamp which means a bulb is out or loose like to come on. But the dealer worked on the car and made sure the problem doesn't reoccur, don't forget TDI engines are guarrenteed up to 500,000 miles."

See if you qualify for