2014 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $19,868 - $21,021.

10/7.1

8.4

Based on 298 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Power of a V6 gas engine, economy of a Prius.

By on Monday, November 04, 2013

Pros: "Power, fuel economy, no glow plug wait, 6 spd tran"

"I traded a 2004 TDI 5spd for this 2011 TDI 6spd. Fuel economy decreased about 5 mpg with the new car but with worthwhile improvements (increased power, sportier handling). The 6spd at 2000 rpm is 72 mph in the 2011 car vs 60 mph in the 2004 TDI 5spd. Love the navigation, full skylight panel, stereo, and sporty feel. With 38,000 miles so far the car has had zero problems. I can get 52 mpg at 58 mph (AC off) in the summer or 45 mpg at 72 mph (AC off) for highway driving. Winter cold weather with winterized Diesel (gas station mixes #2 and #1 diesel to lower wax point) results in a 6 mpg decrease in fuel economy. There is no waiting for glow plug warmup, the car starts immediately like a gas engine (huge improvement over previous diesels). Love it, so glad I upgraded."

By on Sunday, August 17, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, Good Looking, stock speakers rock."

Cons: "hard to work on, cheap interior."

"I owned a 2008 Cobalt and I am disappointed I did not look into Jettas sooner. I am very impressed with the handling. I would of liked to see more quality on the inside of the car. I have switches going into my dashboard area and my accessory plug in the back is broke. Great looking car its got sport but it also has luxury. I can't say I haven't got looks while driving it around town. The seats are so comfortable you can sleep in them. I lay back the seats and I am out in 5 minutes. It has not broke down on me yet (knocking on some wood right now). The only thing I am afraid about is the cost of repairs because of the fact not even walmart sells the air filter or windshield wipers for it."

Unexplainable repairs always needed

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, good sound system"

Cons: "Endless ridiculous repairs"

"I bought a 2011 VW Jetta SE sedan in November 2012. It had roughly 12,000 miles. Within weeks, service lights went off periodically. The tire light went off, the check engine/get service lights went off. The horn stopped working and needed to be replaced. Then, the driver's side door handle simply failed to work. The door would not open. When I finally opened it, the door would not latch closed again. In addition, when it hit any temperature below 32 degrees F, the doors would freeze shut (no precipitation necessary). I would eventually get a rear door open and have to crawl through the vehicle to get into the driver's seat. Then, my radio mysteriously stopped working. I had to take this car to the dealer a number of times to fix ridiculous problems like this. It has been a continuous disappointment. This car is HORRENDOUS in the snow. The worst ever. Outside of those issues, it has Bluetooth, heated seats, good pickup, and a good sound system. The controls to the music and phone are on the wheel, which makes for safe, hands-free driving. The car has good leg room in the front and good back support. Unfortunately, the random repairs far outweigh the benefits of my nearly-new VW Jetta. I am looking to trade it in ASAP."

Great Young Professional Car

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Well Equipped, Sporty"

Cons: "High Depreciation, Expensive Maintenance"

"Pros: This car is good for a good professional just starting out in the work force. It was four doors making it ideal for daily living. The sporty features on the car make sure you do not get bored on your daily commute. The turbo makes sure you can have a bit of fun on the weekend. They car comes nicely equipped. Cons: The depreciation is greater than that of its Honda and Toyota counter parts. The repairs and replacement are more expensive than its Japanese competition; however, cheaper than its German competition."

Looking for a solid and economical purchase

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2015

"When I was first looking for a car upon taking an outside sales position I needed the following: great on fuel mileage, would keep up with 25-30k miles annually, easy to maintain, and was overall looking for an affordable option. My 2012 Jetta TDI has not let me down, currently just under 80k miles in my two and a half years of owning it and am so happy with my purchase that I'm looking at getting a Passat TDI now. I drive anywhere from 1-3k miles per month for my job, being able to get 600 miles on a tank highway commute is a timesaver! Best tank to date has been 46 mpg, but usually hover around 41/42 mpg with 80% highway / 20% city driving. Pros: bottom line is fuel mileage!, maintenance only every 10k, quality sound system for the size of vehicle, leg room is adequate compared to other cars in class, great handling, and fun to drive with the turbo, manual shift is butter smooth Cons: Initial purchase price of diesel (break even point is usually about 100,000 miles), maintenance can be a bit pricey (but is only every 10k), doesn't handle great in snow, interior isn't as nice as is past models, leather quality isn't the same as the premium models"