2012 Volkswagen Jetta

Based on 218 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Great car

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pros: "big trunk and backseat, heated leather seats"

Cons: "no sunroof and no automatic headlights"

"I have had Hyundai, Acuras, Volvos and Lexus before this and I am very happy with this car. I will be buying VW from now on. It is a fun car to drive and big. We have 2 little children and no problem on back seat. The trunk is huge took all our stuff to beach trip with no problem. The pickup is great on the 2.5 5 Cylinder engine. I wish I had the sunroof and automatic headlights on my SE but that is all that is missing"

Unexplainable repairs always needed

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, good sound system"

Cons: "Endless ridiculous repairs"

"I bought a 2011 VW Jetta SE sedan in November 2012. It had roughly 12,000 miles. Within weeks, service lights went off periodically. The tire light went off, the check engine/get service lights went off. The horn stopped working and needed to be replaced. Then, the driver's side door handle simply failed to work. The door would not open. When I finally opened it, the door would not latch closed again. In addition, when it hit any temperature below 32 degrees F, the doors would freeze shut (no precipitation necessary). I would eventually get a rear door open and have to crawl through the vehicle to get into the driver's seat. Then, my radio mysteriously stopped working. I had to take this car to the dealer a number of times to fix ridiculous problems like this. It has been a continuous disappointment. This car is HORRENDOUS in the snow. The worst ever. Outside of those issues, it has Bluetooth, heated seats, good pickup, and a good sound system. The controls to the music and phone are on the wheel, which makes for safe, hands-free driving. The car has good leg room in the front and good back support. Unfortunately, the random repairs far outweigh the benefits of my nearly-new VW Jetta. I am looking to trade it in ASAP."

My Jetta changed my way of thinking

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "great car for a good value TDI has amazing mileage"

Cons: "missing auto temperature setting"

"I bought my Jetta for the impressive mileage and have almost always had better gas mileage than the sticker suggested. The ride is very comfortable for the long trips, we drive everywhere, and still enjoyable. The navigation system is out of date and can only be updated through VW which is not good. And I wish it had an automatic temperature setting inside, my wife's Subaru has this. But other than those minor things this is the best car I have ever owned and I will continue to support VW for many years."

Perfect mix of sport and luxury

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "great value, fun to drive, classy & sporty"

Cons: "DSG start from stop lags a bit, no HID headlights"

"I was looking far and wide for a mid-sized car that offered premium features at a reasonable price. I knew Jettas existed and I knew GTIs existed... But I didn't know that they had a baby together: the GLI. It has the perfect mix of sport and luxury that really caught my attention. The look is classy and professional with a look of "I can go fast if I want". Also, I've always admired German cars and after now owning this car, there really is something to it. The quality of the build is far and above the competition and you really can tell with the soft-touch interior and the satisfying sound of the door closing (among a long list of other things). I've had the car going on 3 years now and its running just as good as day 1. Unfortunately the 2012 model does not have the enhanced features that I really wanted that are now available in the newer models: HID headlights, LED running lights, electric driver's seat. Also, the DSG automatic transmission acts funny when you give it gas on a slight incline from the stopped position... the response time seems to be slightly delayed. The car handles great, the sport mode is really fun and the gas mileage is pretty decent, especially on highway. I get an average of 27 mpg (22 city, up to 41 highway)... premium gas. The other thing I love about this car is the HUGE trunk space and great rear seat leg room for this "compact" car. I also really like the sound system."

a great all rounder

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "great fuel economy, good handling, spacious"

Cons: "center console intrudes on legroom"

"I've owned this car for 2.5 years and put 47K miles on it, in Indiana, Illinois, California and New York. Overall, this is a great car for many reasons: 1) The fuel economy is very good, even though you pay the extra 10-20% for diesel. I get the EPA numbers, 30 city and 42 highway. On long trips on level terrain, I get 46-48 if I drive 60-65mph, but on average on level and hilly terrains, while driving 70-75, I get the EPA rated 42. 2) The car handles very well. The hydraulic assisted steering is tight at slow speeds, but it still has very good feedback, enabling me to drive confidently on winding roads. There is some body lean on the corners while turning, but I guess it is unavoidable for a car of this size at this price point. 3) It is quite spacious. Not as big as a Passat, but it can easily and comfortable carry four people. It also has a pretty good trunk. 4) The interior is functional, with the essential stuff. It is one area where the car can improve. 5) The seats, however are comfortable, even on long trips. I've never had back problems in this car, even while driving up to 12 hours a day. Overall, I'd highly recommend the Jetta Diesel with Premium Package. This review is for that trim line."

See if you qualify for