a great all rounder
By jayaramkr on Sunday, May 11, 2014
I own this car - My approximate mileage is 47,000
overall rating 8 of 10rating details
- Overall Rating
Pros: "great fuel economy, good handling, spacious"
Cons: "center console intrudes on legroom"
Likely to recommend this car? (1-10): 10
"I've owned this car for 2.5 years and put 47K miles on it, in Indiana, Illinois, California and New York. Overall, this is a great car for many reasons:
1) The fuel economy is very good, even though you pay the extra 10-20% for diesel. I get the EPA numbers, 30 city and 42 highway. On long trips on level terrain, I get 46-48 if I drive 60-65mph, but on average on level and hilly terrains, while driving 70-75, I get the EPA rated 42.
2) The car handles very well. The hydraulic assisted steering is tight at slow speeds, but it still has very good feedback, enabling me to drive confidently on winding roads. There is some body lean on the corners while turning, but I guess it is unavoidable for a car of this size at this price point.
3) It is quite spacious. Not as big as a Passat, but it can easily and comfortable carry four people. It also has a pretty good trunk.
4) The interior is functional, with the essential stuff. It is one area where the car can improve.
5) The seats, however are comfortable, even on long trips. I've never had back problems in this car, even while driving up to 12 hours a day.
Overall, I'd highly recommend the Jetta Diesel with Premium Package. This review is for that trim line."
out of 47 found this review helpful
Was this review helpful to you?