2011 Volkswagen Jetta

8.3

Based on 336 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

Best car that I ever owned

By on Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Pros: "Holds value and dependable"

Cons: "expensive to repair"

"I have owned many different Model/make cars prior to my 2001 Jetta that I purchased in 2001 and I still own my Jetta that has 100000 miles and I love very much. Instead of buying a new car, I decided to have my car fully serviced mechanically and detailed because I do not want to part with it. My Jetta is a GLS with everything, except leather seats. The car handles great in snow and is very dependable. Little expensive to fix when there is a repair that is needed, but it is worth it. A great car that holds great value!!"

Not the Best Car... Not the Worst.

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "47-50mpg freeway, comfortable seats, A4 styling"

Cons: "DSG is clunky, 25mpg city, poor interior quality"

Classy! If only it weren't so clunky...

"I have a love-hate relationship with the Jetta TDI (Premium/DSG). As a freeway car it is extremely comfortable, smooth and fuel efficient. On the streets… not so much. A great example is with the diesel milage. Averaging 47mpg is easy on the freeway, even on short trips. When you get to the inner city however, 25mpg is the norm. The longer you can go without stopping, the closer you stay to the speed limit, the greater the reward. Another great example is the transmission, smooth as silk on the freeway, but when you hit the street, the experience is clunky and overbearing. Going 15mph, the car will buck and jump as the DSG decides how it's going to handle power from the engine. If you try to coast to a stop the DSG will immediately try to jump to a lower gear to slow the car down with the engine and make a final bumpy lurch as you step on the brake. This makes city driving as unsettling as it is inefficient. When going down hills the DSG also likes to jump to a higher gear way to early, even while coasting forcing you to use neutral. To make matters worse, the DSG lets a lot of vibration and noise through to the cabin when driving on the street. DSG issues are slightly worse when it is cold and slightly better when it is warm out. The DSG problems subside when you leave it in sport mode, but that severely eats into fuel savings. As far as reliability goes, the car is shaky. Right out of the gate at 900 miles it broke down in a parking lot and I lost almost a full day of work. After that I had intermittent starting problems until summer when they subsided. I've also had trouble with rattles from just about every part of the interior. This is an especially big problem when you play music, even at a low volume every plastic part in the car will hum. Along with the headliner falling down and door moldings coming loose at 4,000 miles, and a software reset at 3,500 miles I'd say interior fit and finish is sub par at best. Heres the bottom line: The car has the looks of a classy A4 and is roomy enough to please any client passenger. The modern touch screen and connectivity features like bluetooth and SiriusXM are fantastic as well. If you drive 80/20 freeway and live in the burbs, you will probably not be hassled with the DSG and experience fuel mileage that rivals the Prius. If you are a 50/50 driver like me that makes a lot of stops, you will be severely disappointed in the performance and ride quality. From an overall quality standpoint I would be wary about claims made by VW. New cars shouldn't break down, have starting problems, or have parts fall off. If you buy it, make sure you load up on extra warranty."

Classy! If only it weren't so clunky...

More bang for your buck!

By on Thursday, May 1, 2014

Pros: "Great price, excellent fuel mileage, timeless look"

Cons: "Could have a better audio system"

"I currently own at 2014 Jetta S Auto that I picked up last month. I know that the "experts" give the S a less than stellar review but I'm here to say differently. Yeah it doesn't have a ton of BHP but I got to tell you that it does get up and go rather nicely. I am in my early 40s and had my fun with high BHP/TQ inline 4s that were turbo or NOS modded when I was much younger. That is not what I was looking for when I bought my Jetta S. I wanted something comfortable to ride in, have plenty of room, get solid gas mileage and look great even standing still. I love this car. It puts a smile on my face every time I walk outside to get in it. I even look out the window from time to time just to admire it. You cannot go wrong with any of the trim levels but if you are looking for something on a budget that still offers the most for your money get a Jetta S."

Just what I wanted

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Stlyle, roomy cabin, large trunk, great handling"

Cons: "MPG is only average"

"I got a 2014 Jetta S with automatic transmission. On paper it has the potential to be a good value but with cars you just don't know until the bumper-to-bumper warranty runs out. But VW was offering some attractive end-of-the year deals and the 2-year free maintenance is nice benefit. I traded in a 2009 Jeep Compass 2WD which was a great little crossover. No problems at all in the 4.5 years I owned this car. But I trade about every 5 years and the VW deal was too good to leave on the table. The base model is packed with a lot of features that are options on some cars. This Jetta had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. I did a ton research before I made the move. I know what the auto critics said about the base VW 2.0 engine -- that it lacks power and it's been around too long. I test drove the S three different times and also test drove the SE with the turbo. My verdict: The turbo wasn't worth the extra two grand. Unless you're into speed and extremely rapid acceleration the good ol' 2.0 is plenty of engine for this car -- perfectly smooth and competent around town and on the interstate. If you want to blow your socks off, get the turbo. Some critics also said the Jetta's cabin had too much hard plastic. Hey, I'm coming from a Compass. The Jetta's interior plastics are altogether acceptable to me. No faux chrome trim or useless affectations. This cabin is roomy and comfortable and the trunk is almost expansive. Both the exterior and interior design are clean and unpretentious. And you get a full-size spare tire. I didn't know any car company did that nowadays. The gas mileage isn't great, slightly better than the Compass. However, I only put about 6,000 miles a year on a car so mpg is not my top priority. If you're considering a compact or even midsize car, don't overlook the Jetta. I'm glad I didn't."

awful in snow yet powerful in mountains TDI

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "40 mpg, rear seats fold flat, economical"

Cons: "terrible for snowy inclines, seats not ergonomic"

"I'm a purchase researcher when it comes to a car and there's not much mentioned about the TDI Jetta wagon in cold mountainous snow conditions. That's why I compelled to review. I'm considering selling because the uphill snow performance is so terrible. I live in Aspen, CO and drive 13 K per year employed as a private chef. I need to arrive at any location in any weather condition. I have driven this vehicle 3 winters now and cannot rely on it for my business. The crux of the VW Jetta Wagon is going uphill in snow or ice. It just cannot do it, even with brand new studded snow tires, the traction control option turned off, manual shifting, and a running start. Spin spin spin. It's okay in flat or decent of snow, slush, ice as long as that traction control button is off. Poor name for a function that does the opposite! (The manual even agrees). The comparison is with my previous three Volvo ('99, '04, '06) Cross Country vehicles. The VW doubles their fuel efficiency yet doubles the white knuckles. Another downside of the VW is the ergonomics of the seats and steering wheel adjustability. I'm 5'4" lean female. I purchased a cheap 'seat wedge' from BB&B my husband calls the 'Grandma Pad' to supplement the lack of adjustability and comfort of the driver seat. It's annoying after 2 years now to get in the car and first thing adjust the pad to be centered. Oh those Volvo seats are a fond memory! On the positive? It's Fast. Powerful. Fun. In dry conditions. Oh! There I go again. More goodies- the seats fold flat, it's low for the dogs to get in and out of, the price brand new was of great value, super efficient for so much power, there's a dealership 20 miles away (instead of going to Denver for Volvo service), good headlight illumination, the panoramic sunroof has a retractable shade. Yeah, it would be an awesome car for Phoenix, or LA, or anywhere where one drives lots and the sky never snowed... not anywhere I'm going to live. I don't want to go through the hassle of trading in the TDI VW, though I just wrote you all the reasons to. Sigh, a purchase I'm regretting 3 years later."

Entry-Level Luxury Car Feel for Great Value!

By on Monday, October 29, 2012

Pros: "Excellent Value/Pleasure to Drive/Good Looks"

Cons: "No Automatic Headlights/Power Drivers Seat-SE trim"

"I have had my 2012 VW Jetta SE with Convenience Package and Sunroof for almost 5 months now. I love this vehicle. I have driven many BMW 3 series and can honestly say that this vehicle provides and performs in line with those. The car feels very well crafted and sturdy yet sporty on the road. It is not the most smooth ride, but still very comfortable and this adds to the sporty factor. Opting for the Convenience package gave me the large touchscreen radio with bluetooth, etc. and this is extremely useful and became a necesity rather than a perk over time. The sunroof is also great! The leather (vinyl) seats have held up well in terms of ware and cleaning, etc. While at only 11,500 miles, I have had zero issues with the car inside and out. If purchasing new, the free scheduled maintenance at 10,20,30000 miles is a plus. My only things that would make this car a perfect ten would be adding Power Driver's seat, automatic headlights, and maybe even push-to-start at the SE level (You have to go up to SEL to get these). Overall, the features and performance of this car make it a pleasure to drive, and I'd definitely recommend it over competition. keep in mind that I chose this car new over a used recent-model BMW 3-series :-)"

One of the best cars I've ever owned!

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage, fun to drive and very affordable"

Cons: "lack of power seats"

"I typically buy a new car every 2 years or so and have owned Toyotas, Hondas and Subarus. This is my first Volkswagen and am totally impressed with my gas mileage, styling, sportiness and comfort. The only downside is the lack of power seats. Other than that, I have been totally satisfied."

Best Car I have EVER owned.

By on Monday, November 7, 2011

Pros: "Unbelievable performance per gallon factor. Fun."

Cons: "I can't justify owning two of them. ;)"

"The TDI is outstanding and VW's feel as solid as a single piece of industrial grade granite. I will never sell this car. Absolutely a joy, not a single problem in 22K miles."

very good (but not great)

By on Friday, March 25, 2016

Pros: "Great mileage, reliability, interior wearproof"

Cons: "maintenance costs, dumb transmission"

"2011 Jetta TDI is my third VW, and the best so far. Outstanding mileage is the reason I bought it, since I took a job with a 30 mile each way commute. Have had only one repair not covered by VW or warranty since I bought it with 18000 miles in 2012. Had one catastrophic fuel system failure (state mandated biodiesel blend here in Illinois chewed up the high pressure fuel pump, covered by VW, would have been about $5000.00 . YIKES!) but no other major repairs. One "check engine" light was a dead glow plug. That's it. Many people talk about the reliability of Toyota and Lexus, but having the transmissions go bad on a Camry and an RX300 both between 90 and 95 K miles, I think this VW is doing very, very well in comparison. The body is rock solid after 92000 miles other than the driver's door which has always closed with a hollow sound, where the other three doors close with a solid sounding "thunk". MPG consistently exceeds EPA standards. When/if the EPA mandated fix for emissions come through, the mileage will likely drop. I'll miss the 52 mpg on the highway, but I shouldn't complain if it still meets or exceeds what was advertised on the window sticker. Maintenance costs are HIDEOUS for this car/engine. Transmission fluid change every 40K miles runs about $400. Speaking of transmission, the DSG can't go at low (think bumper to bumper crawl on the commute) speed without jerking. Yes, it's an automatic that drives like a manual - a manual driven by someone who doesn't know how. However, it has been trouble free. If I had a do-over, I'd get the manual. Summary: Great mileage, good reliability, meh transmission, comfort and performance for the long commute."

Poor mans BMW

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "great mpg"

Cons: "none yet"

"love love my new Jetta TDI. I have had 2 BMW's and this drives very similar. Bought the sporty 6 speed manual this time and love it. Can't believe how fast the Diesel motor is and quiet. The gas milage is great have only filled up one time and then only 10 gallons been getting over 40mpg so far."

great features at a great price

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "great price, super safe, awesome features"

Cons: "slightly more responsive acceleration needed"

"I love my jetta. More importantly, it just saved my life. I was involved in a car accident in which I was T-boned on the driver's side. If I were driving my old car, I would be in the hospital, if not worse. I am still waiting to see if it is totaled out, but I will buy another jetta if it is. I love the car, and all of the current gadgets and features, ( I have the sel with nav.) I know it is just a car, but I feel a weird connection; it just fits me. Plus, it is apparently really safe!"

excellent vehicle

By on Monday, May 5, 2014

"the best car ever, solid, stable, reliable, BEST MPG ever 47 MPG at 80 MPH @ 600 miles per week Southern California traffic."

REMOTE and BLUETOOTH AUDIO STREAMING issues

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "Driving Dynamics is very good"

Cons: "Poor quality such remote and bluetooth"

"CAR WAS PURCHASED AT THE END OF NOV, 2013 AT THREE COUNTY VOLKSWAGEN IN NJ. TWO ISSUES WERE NOTICED THE NEXT DAY: (1) REMOTE ONLY WORKS VERY CLOSE TO THE CAR. (LESS THAN 10 FT) (2) BLUETOOTH AUDIO STREAMING FUNCTION NEVER WORK PROPERLY MORE THAN 10MINS. CAR WAS SENT TO DEALER AT DEC 30. I WAS TOLD FEW DAYS LATER: A) NEW PART NEED TO BE ORDERED AND HAD NO IDEA HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT; B)MORE THAN 12 PEOPLE WERE IN THE WAITING LIST FOR THE BACKUP CAR. I HAD NO CHOICE BUT TOOK MY CAR BACK SINCE I NEED A CAR TO COMMUTE. AROUND JAN. 10, I WAS TOLD NEW PART WAS RECEIVED AND CAR WAS SENT TO DEALER AGAIN. FEW DAYS LATER I WAS TOLD ISSUES WERE NOT SOLVED AFTER REPLACING THE PART AND FURTHER ASSISTANCE WAS NEEDED FROM VOLKSWAGEN. I WAS TOLD THE ASSISTANCE FROM VOLKSWAGEN STILL DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM AND ‘OTHER KIND’ OF FURTHER ASSISTANCE WAS NEEDED FROM VOLKSWAGEN AT JAN. 16. I HAD TO WAIT LONGER. I WAS TOLD ‘OTHER KIND’ OF FURTHER ASSISTANCE FROM VOLKSWAGEN DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM NEITHER AND THE DEALER HAD NO IDEA WHAT THEY CAN DO EXCEPT WAITING. I HAD NO CHOICE BUT TOOK MY CAR BACK AGAIN. TILL NOW, THE CAR HAS BEEN IN DEALER MORE THAN 3 WEEKS WHICH I ONLY HAD OWNED THIS CAR 8 WEEKS, AND THESE ISSUES ARE STILL THERE."

1800 miles in 15 days and started appreciating it

By on Saturday, November 10, 2012

Pros: "MPG, Excellent torque, high interior look"

Cons: "Ugly exterior, confusing controls"

"I traded my wife's Merceded R350 to own our first ever VW because I heard about Jetta TDI's amazing acceleration & MPG. I bought this two weeks ago and genuinely started appreciating this amazing car. I started liking this so much and now my wife drives my Mercedes C300 and this Jetta became my daily car just because of the MPG and not-so-bad all around characteristics this Jetta Sportwagen - just spun 1800 miles in two weeks. From a red-light stop, this car can aggressively sprint ahead of any other car. The S (sports) drive mode is real fun. The ride is surprisingly noise free few minutes after a cold start - except for the low humming of the diesel engine. Very cool!!! Don't expect full speed cornering and other gimmicks. Just slow down a bit. The adjustable central hand-rest is a real joke -it took two days for me to figure out that it can be pulled few inches forward but you still could not rest of right elbow on it. Ooops!! Interior is comparatively looks rich for a non-luxury brand and audio/speakers are mediocre. But hey this VW. I wish they hadn't swapped audio/volume controls to left side of the steering wheel. What a bad choice? I am seriously looking into whether is there a way to swap the wiring between the left and right side of the steering wheels."

Perfect choice for young, first-time owner/driver.

By on Friday, September 7, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing"

"I gave my 16 YO son a budget for his first vehicle and he narrowed his choices down to the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and the VW Jetta and some fleeting interest for "the Cube". 500 miles later in a VW Jetta, I am proud to report he had made the best decision... For the "base" model, the car came with lots of features like auto windows, mirrors, CD stereos, keyless entry..etc. What I liked most was front, side and curtain airbags and re-enforced doors. It is a little weak on horse power but that is exactly what he does not need. The manual shift is smooth making learning to drive a stick-shift a little easier. Oh and the 3 year no maintenance cost and 5 year power train warranties didn't hurt either. Absolutely the best, smartest choice for a sensible kid and safety concious dad."

Love this vehicle and it's handling

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

"This is an amazing vehicle. The gas mileage is incredible, and it is a solid, well built feeling car. I had a little dimple in my back bumper and it popped right out after about 24 hrs with no noticeable damage. The handling is phenomenal. Had it not been for the amazing handling of this car, I would have already been collateral damage to 3 accidents on the freeway this year. One in particular, I was amazed at how well it did. The only complaint that I have is that the blue tooth connection is not of the best quality, I still have to use the ear piece usually. Other than that, I love this little car and would recommend it to anyone. It also has all the speed to feel safe merging onto california hwy and freeways."

BEST BY FAR vehicle for the money!

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "Everything! $, fuel eco, fun, pwr, features,"

Cons: "Hatchback doesn't open by itself, front wheel driv"

"This car is amazing. My previous vehicle was a BMW 540iT, so I am used to cars that are well appointed and well engineered. It rides well, handles well, plenty of power - especially when you need to pass, or get on the freeway. It is thoughtfully designed and has everything you would want in a car. There are only two things that disappoint: front wheel drive (not so much into that), and the hatchback doesn't open by itself. But I am not willing to pay $56k for a BMW to get those things any more... Also, the fuel economy more than makes up for those things. 44.6 MPH... over twice what the BMW would get. I would highly recommend this car to anyone who is looking for it all in one cute car. Love the panoramic moon roof too :)"

Perfect car for me

By on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, easy maintenance, looks great, VW's are fantastic cars"

"I personally love Jettas and this is my third. My last was a 2002 Wolfsburg edition and I burned the Turbo out or I probably would still have it, but would definitely trade it in for this car. I have the SE with Conv and Sunroof. It drives great, is powerful, looks sleek and stylish, has great options, great warranty, needs oil changed every 10,000 miles, and many other wonderful things that come with the VW family. The one negative (which just is something that takes getting used to) is this is not the kind of car where you slam on the gas pedal and zip off. There is a split second lag before the power kicks in. The car is moving just not with the power behind it. It just takes a few tries getting used to."

I love this car, but she doesn't like bad weather

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "Great value, fun to drive, beautiful"

Cons: "Standing water/snow decreases traction"

"My beautiful little Jetta SEL Premium has been a pure pleasure since we leased her new. The combination of sophisticated interior, exterior, upgraded wheels & tinted glass as well as Fender sound system makes seeing it in the garage & driving it a complete delight. It is so similar in looks to a Mercedes that I almost walked up to the wrong car once! I know I paid a lot less and have probably a more dependable vehicle. I have discovered, though, Wisconsin weather is not my Jetta's favorite - because of the low profile & gorgeous little front spoiler (lack of ground clearance), any accumulation of precipitation, be it water or snow, makes for a less than sweet ride. We're purchasing a winter vehicle to let the Jetta sit the bad days out. If she continues to be the great car she's been over the last nearly 2 years, I can see keeping her forever. Gas mileage is awesome, creature comforts abundant and just a really fun car to drive. By the way, while shopping for a new vehicle, I was very impressed by how well appointed this car is, with navigation, blue tooth, heated seats & super sound system as well as the other upgrades - making the Jetta SEL Premium an excellent value. I checked the current Kelly Blue Book value, and am very pleased with the number, as my current pay off for my lease is less than that! Love the car."

An outstanding all-around-town car.

By on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pros: "Transmission, great price, very fun to drive"

Cons: "Winter tires would help"

Classy.

"The 2012 Jetta SE was less of a compromise and more of a confident attempt to get the best car possible for less than $20,000. Equipped with a Manual Transmission, the cars moves quick when it has to, and it's never failed in shifting smoothly under almost any situation thrown at it. There's plenty of room to keep back seat passengers happy, and lots of headroom for taller folks up front. It lacks some of the more upscale appointments like the soft-touch dash of previous models, but the plastics still seem very durable after a year of solid use. Equipped with Bridgestone Turanza tires, the winter handling could use a boost in deep snow, but that may be more the fault of the tires than the car. Overall, still the outstanding car that I picked out since the very beginning!"

Classy.

Loving my TDI w/ 6-speed manual

By on Saturday, December 20, 2014

Pros: "fun, fuel economy, sporty"

"I traded my 2014 Honda civic coupe in on this vehicle and am really glad I did! It drives like a dream! It is fun, sporty and GREAT on fuel! I have driven almost 200 miles since filling it up and have barely used a 1/4 of a tank! I would recommend this car to anyone"

Affordable and Very Nice Ride

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Pros: "Roomy, Fun to Drive, Quiet, Quality Driving Feel"

Cons: "Prop rod for engine hood, No engine temp guage"

"I bought my 2014 Jetta in March. My 2001 Jetta GL had given me great reliability and good service for 169000 miles and is still running great. After I sold it to a colleague I bought my new one. It has 10000 miles already and has been trouble free. It is roomy and quiet. The exterior and interior are not flashy but then neither am I. There is no learning curve for the controls in the interior. Everything is well laid out and easy to use. The seats are supportive and have lumbar support. The ride is firm but not harsh. The new 1.8 turbo engine is super. It does not use oil. My best mileage is 42.3 mpg but averages 32-34 mpg in combined city/highway driving. The 6 speed automatic shifts down quickly, keeping the rpm's relatively low. All you need to do to accelerate quickly is step on the gas. Trust me, the 1.8 has plenty of power. The SE drives like a larger car. Lots of trunk space too."

Best Car Ever!

By on Monday, April 14, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, Comfortable, Great MPG"

"This car is Wonderfully Amazing... I got 41 MPG coming home. Seats are amazing and extremely comfortable and the handling of the car is stunning and provides inspiration. Have you closed the door? Well it sounds just like all other high quality cars. Close the doors on a Benz 350 ( My family has one) and the doors sound the same. No problems so far yet engine wise, though it is extremely powerful considering the class of car (Compact. I will buy another Volkswagen!"

2,5 gas engine, average mix 28 - 29 mpg.

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, handling, price"

"Sales, do much stop n go driving, 50% city, still averaging great gas mileage. On long drives 40+ miles non stop averaging 35 mpg.. Handling great, 0 - 60 very peppy, rear seating a bit snug. Would recommend and or buy this again.."

2013 Hybrid Jetta - Very sporty and Great MPG

By on Saturday, September 7, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive with the 1.4 Turbo engine"

Cons: "Takes 91 octane or higher gas"

"My wife and I have now owned 5 VW Jetta's and just traded my 07 Jetta in for a 2013 Hybrid Premium Jetta and my wife drove it for two weeks and did not like the way the brakes worked with the charging of batteries and went back to driving her 2011 Jetta SEL. I have now drove the car for two weeks and I am starting to love everything about it except the braking is taking some time to get use too. I get so many looks and questions about my Jetta because of the HID Lights and because it's a Hybrid made by VW. My first turbo car and even with the 1.4L Turbo engine it is still a quick little car!!!"