2011 Volkswagen Jetta

Based on 227 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Unexplainable repairs always needed

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, good sound system"

Cons: "Endless ridiculous repairs"

"I bought a 2011 VW Jetta SE sedan in November 2012. It had roughly 12,000 miles. Within weeks, service lights went off periodically. The tire light went off, the check engine/get service lights went off. The horn stopped working and needed to be replaced. Then, the driver's side door handle simply failed to work. The door would not open. When I finally opened it, the door would not latch closed again. In addition, when it hit any temperature below 32 degrees F, the doors would freeze shut (no precipitation necessary). I would eventually get a rear door open and have to crawl through the vehicle to get into the driver's seat. Then, my radio mysteriously stopped working. I had to take this car to the dealer a number of times to fix ridiculous problems like this. It has been a continuous disappointment. This car is HORRENDOUS in the snow. The worst ever. Outside of those issues, it has Bluetooth, heated seats, good pickup, and a good sound system. The controls to the music and phone are on the wheel, which makes for safe, hands-free driving. The car has good leg room in the front and good back support. Unfortunately, the random repairs far outweigh the benefits of my nearly-new VW Jetta. I am looking to trade it in ASAP."

My Jetta changed my way of thinking

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "great car for a good value TDI has amazing mileage"

Cons: "missing auto temperature setting"

"I bought my Jetta for the impressive mileage and have almost always had better gas mileage than the sticker suggested. The ride is very comfortable for the long trips, we drive everywhere, and still enjoyable. The navigation system is out of date and can only be updated through VW which is not good. And I wish it had an automatic temperature setting inside, my wife's Subaru has this. But other than those minor things this is the best car I have ever owned and I will continue to support VW for many years."

Perfect mix of sport and luxury

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "great value, fun to drive, classy & sporty"

Cons: "DSG start from stop lags a bit, no HID headlights"

"I was looking far and wide for a mid-sized car that offered premium features at a reasonable price. I knew Jettas existed and I knew GTIs existed... But I didn't know that they had a baby together: the GLI. It has the perfect mix of sport and luxury that really caught my attention. The look is classy and professional with a look of "I can go fast if I want". Also, I've always admired German cars and after now owning this car, there really is something to it. The quality of the build is far and above the competition and you really can tell with the soft-touch interior and the satisfying sound of the door closing (among a long list of other things). I've had the car going on 3 years now and its running just as good as day 1. Unfortunately the 2012 model does not have the enhanced features that I really wanted that are now available in the newer models: HID headlights, LED running lights, electric driver's seat. Also, the DSG automatic transmission acts funny when you give it gas on a slight incline from the stopped position... the response time seems to be slightly delayed. The car handles great, the sport mode is really fun and the gas mileage is pretty decent, especially on highway. I get an average of 27 mpg (22 city, up to 41 highway)... premium gas. The other thing I love about this car is the HUGE trunk space and great rear seat leg room for this "compact" car. I also really like the sound system."

a great all rounder

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "great fuel economy, good handling, spacious"

Cons: "center console intrudes on legroom"

"I've owned this car for 2.5 years and put 47K miles on it, in Indiana, Illinois, California and New York. Overall, this is a great car for many reasons: 1) The fuel economy is very good, even though you pay the extra 10-20% for diesel. I get the EPA numbers, 30 city and 42 highway. On long trips on level terrain, I get 46-48 if I drive 60-65mph, but on average on level and hilly terrains, while driving 70-75, I get the EPA rated 42. 2) The car handles very well. The hydraulic assisted steering is tight at slow speeds, but it still has very good feedback, enabling me to drive confidently on winding roads. There is some body lean on the corners while turning, but I guess it is unavoidable for a car of this size at this price point. 3) It is quite spacious. Not as big as a Passat, but it can easily and comfortable carry four people. It also has a pretty good trunk. 4) The interior is functional, with the essential stuff. It is one area where the car can improve. 5) The seats, however are comfortable, even on long trips. I've never had back problems in this car, even while driving up to 12 hours a day. Overall, I'd highly recommend the Jetta Diesel with Premium Package. This review is for that trim line."

Overall Review

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

Pros: "appearance, interior comfort"

Cons: "wipers don't stay up, hydrolic clutch noisy"

"The first time I tried to wash the windshield I discovered the wiper blades don't stay up. I called service and they were aware of it as the hood is in the way. Seems like something simple that could have been avoided. I have a 6 speed manual. The acceleration is good however the hydrolic clutch makes a noise that is permanent. Love the interior space. Attention to quality and detail a little disappointing."

excellent vehicle

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

"the best car ever, solid, stable, reliable, BEST MPG ever 47 MPG at 80 MPH @ 600 miles per week Southern California traffic."

Excellent value

By on Sunday, May 04, 2014

Pros: "Unlike the Jetta sedan, this car feels substancial"

Cons: "could use more power"

"No other vehicle, in the same price range, can equal this car."

Transmission Troubles

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "looks good, roomy interior"

Cons: "transmission problems, unreliable"

"I've had the car for four months, have driven it fewer than 1500 miles. Just found out the transmission needs to be pulled and repaired because of what the person at the dealership deemed "an assembly line problem." Not sure what the long-term implications are for such a problem so early in the life of the car, but it sure takes the joy out of buying a new car. I miss my 2003 Toyota Corolla."

More bang for your buck!

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "Great price, excellent fuel mileage, timeless look"

Cons: "Could have a better audio system"

"I currently own at 2014 Jetta S Auto that I picked up last month. I know that the "experts" give the S a less than stellar review but I'm here to say differently. Yeah it doesn't have a ton of BHP but I got to tell you that it does get up and go rather nicely. I am in my early 40s and had my fun with high BHP/TQ inline 4s that were turbo or NOS modded when I was much younger. That is not what I was looking for when I bought my Jetta S. I wanted something comfortable to ride in, have plenty of room, get solid gas mileage and look great even standing still. I love this car. It puts a smile on my face every time I walk outside to get in it. I even look out the window from time to time just to admire it. You cannot go wrong with any of the trim levels but if you are looking for something on a budget that still offers the most for your money get a Jetta S."

rather noisy from road and motor.

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "sharp, good looking car."

Cons: "not the best mpg for a 2.5 liter . 29 mpg average."

"easy handling, not over done with un wanted up grades. fair gas mpg."