2009 Volkswagen Jetta

Based on 1039 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Remarkably reliable

By on Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive"

"This has been my most reliable car, perhaps that's why I've had it for 10 years. Only 1-2 warranty issues over the years and very economical to use as my commuter car. Good comfort. Good ride quality and handling. Spacious trunk. Plenty of room."

Great commuting car!

By on Friday, April 17, 2009

"We are on our 3rd Jetta TDI. My husband has had his TDI for 10yrs w/ over 260,000mi and still runs like a champ. We both decided to buy 2 more 2009 TDI b/c they are so reliable and our daily work commute is long. The price is worth it!"

Great drivetrain, but Electrical,Interior is poor

By on Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pros: "Excellent gas milage"

Cons: "Interior,exterior quality"

"Electrical wiring harness recall.Class action only partially paid for replacement.Headliners only lasted a few years.Plastic coating on doorlocks radio ect. comes off in pieces.Headlight lens degrade quickly.Problem with trunk latches.My 2006 drives great but the extra cost repairing poor quality adds up."

Perfect Car!

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive, comfortable"

"I am a college student who commutes. This car gets good mpg and it is a peppy car. I owned a 2002 vw jetta before this and i loved it, so i decided to stick to the vw family. I have no complaints about this car. It is very comfortable, great sound system, and it also does well in the snow for being a 2wd sedan. I will most deffinently stick with VW's!!!"

Love it

By on Monday, April 13, 2015

"We bought this car brand new in 2007 and have driven it all over the place. We have made sure we stuck to the owner's manual for all maintenance and it is a good thing we did because this car has been nothing but incredible to us. We shipped it from the US to the UK, drove it all over Europe and then shipped it back to the US with us and she is still going strong. 112k miles and we haven't had any major issues (I definitely cannot say the same about our TDI beetle). Like one other reviewer, we've had a couple of warranty items that we had fixed but other than that, our biggest issues have been the driver side headlight goes through bulbs rather quickly (really not that big of a deal) and the panel between the front and back passenger side windows had paint peel off of it (again, not that big of an issue considering its a black panel and the material under the paint is also black). My husband is a TDI lover for life now. Once this car finally dies, he plans on buying another one."

Great car

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Good gas mileage, plenty of trunk room,comfortable"

Cons: "No cup holders in the backseat"

"I've had a Jetta for several years and have only had one slight mechanical issue! The car drives very well, has luxuries that I love (leather seats, sun roof, etc.) and gets great gas mileage. For a smaller car, the trunk has plenty of room for what I need to store and carry. It's a good value for the price. The only downside is that VW must perform any type of service (other than oil changes) and that can be expensive."

Great car but too many issues.

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "Great all round car"

Cons: "Too problematic"

"This car is a fantastic piece of equipment-when it doesn't have a problem. The driving experience is great and it is a quality vehicle in terms of capability. It is a good sports car when you want it to be (GLi model) and a great economical vehicle for daily driving (31 MPG highway). However, there have been too many issues-trunk switch and latch had to be replaced, nav unit replaced, the oil filler spout came of the engine valve cover and had to be replaced ($800), the catalytic converter went out at 75k and had to be replaced, the fuel pump went out at 89k and the camshaft and lifters were damaged too-that all needed replaced too. I have to put new brake/tail light bulbs in every 3-4 months because one always burns out without fail. VW service is great at my local dealer, but no courtesy car is a pain-they had my car for almost 3 weeks working on the fuel pump and camshaft-I drive for a living and this was a major upset/inconvenience to my family. This car has been one of the best I have had in terms of equipment/technology etc, but by far the worst in terms of reliability and cost to repair-Thank God I had a good extended warranty! I must also say that VW stepped up and repaired a lot of things under their own warranty, even though the bumper to bumper and engine warranty's were expired. A perfect love/hate situation!"

I Love my Jettta

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

Pros: "Great PRice, Excellent Reliability--Best Car I have ever owned!"

Cons: "No iPod attachment for my year."

"I used to own Jeep Wranglers and CJ's which were a lot of fun. When gas prices went through the roof...so did I. Walked right into local dealership and bought my TDI. Best car decision I have EVER made. I get anywhere from 42 to 53 mpg. which means I fill my tank roughly once a month...and I'm usually only at the 1/4 full mark. This little car has pick up! My first car was a very old Mercedes Diesel....and "Gertie" was cute and reliable but it took about 10 minutes to get to 60mph. Not with my Jetta. My only regret is that now they are less expensive then when I bought my car. How does VW do that? OK so there are some very expensive things that have to be replaced at 90,000 (timing belt--$1000). Also, you can never go to a Jiffy Lube to get them tuned up or oil changed. They don't have the wrenches. If they try it you will be sorry. Just find a VW specialist and take it to them. A bit more $$ but you will be rewarded in the end."

Drives great, looks great--but it's a Volkswagen.

By on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pros: "Styling, looks, amenities."

Cons: "premium fuel"

"Wonderful-looking car, and fun to drive. Super looks. At this point, though (86,000 miles and just out of warranty), strange things are going on, costing me over $2000 in repairs this summer."

Its well-worth it

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pros: "Fuel Economy, stylish, reliability"

Cons: "Interior made with choppy materials."

"I have had this car for nearly 6 years. The only downfall I have had is that the AC needs maintance and I am not sure exactly what is needed but it might be the entire compressor. Other than that this car is still running great at 114,000 miles. Engine purrs. I am going to keep this car until the transmission goes out. That is the only component that I can see failing as the transmission does skip on down shifting mainly but this is generally "normal". This car is a very economic car and I still love my decision."