2009 Volkswagen Jetta

Based on 1045 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Great car

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Good gas mileage, plenty of trunk room,comfortable"

Cons: "No cup holders in the backseat"

"I've had a Jetta for several years and have only had one slight mechanical issue! The car drives very well, has luxuries that I love (leather seats, sun roof, etc.) and gets great gas mileage. For a smaller car, the trunk has plenty of room for what I need to store and carry. It's a good value for the price. The only downside is that VW must perform any type of service (other than oil changes) and that can be expensive."

I Love my Jettta

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

Pros: "Great PRice, Excellent Reliability--Best Car I have ever owned!"

Cons: "No iPod attachment for my year."

"I used to own Jeep Wranglers and CJ's which were a lot of fun. When gas prices went through the roof...so did I. Walked right into local dealership and bought my TDI. Best car decision I have EVER made. I get anywhere from 42 to 53 mpg. which means I fill my tank roughly once a month...and I'm usually only at the 1/4 full mark. This little car has pick up! My first car was a very old Mercedes Diesel....and "Gertie" was cute and reliable but it took about 10 minutes to get to 60mph. Not with my Jetta. My only regret is that now they are less expensive then when I bought my car. How does VW do that? OK so there are some very expensive things that have to be replaced at 90,000 (timing belt--$1000). Also, you can never go to a Jiffy Lube to get them tuned up or oil changed. They don't have the wrenches. If they try it you will be sorry. Just find a VW specialist and take it to them. A bit more $$ but you will be rewarded in the end."

Its well-worth it

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pros: "Fuel Economy, stylish, reliability"

Cons: "Interior made with choppy materials."

"I have had this car for nearly 6 years. The only downfall I have had is that the AC needs maintance and I am not sure exactly what is needed but it might be the entire compressor. Other than that this car is still running great at 114,000 miles. Engine purrs. I am going to keep this car until the transmission goes out. That is the only component that I can see failing as the transmission does skip on down shifting mainly but this is generally "normal". This car is a very economic car and I still love my decision."

Great Value and Teriffic Car

By on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pros: "overall a great car"

Cons: "Heater is a little slow to warm up, no heated whee"

"40 to 53 mpg, Driving dynamics superb, reliability superb, comfort supurb. trunk huge. Now for the bad things: a little noisy on the rough highways although it could be the tires because it is quiet on new roads. The heater takes a while to warm up. I would like AWD and a heated stearing wheel. THAT's IT."

Our best vehicle

By on Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pros: "quiet on road"

Cons: "no place for lady's purse"

"Reliable, good in bad weather/new snow up to 5 inches (tested!). Well-placed intuitive controls, good heating/AC, and mist clearing for windows. Always felt very safe with excellent road handling, good ride comfort. Good to know we were driving the best "Green" sedan for overall mileage, energy use, and clean exhaust."

Best value, comfort and fuel efficiency

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "fast, sporty, comfortable, GREAT MILEAGE"

"I have owned and loved three Diesel Jettas over the years. This one is the best yet. Fast, sporty, and comfortable, and GREAT MILEAGE. I love it. Not a luxury car, but still very nice to drive and proud to own. Efficient reliable transportation with some fun thrown in."

Still love it!

By on Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Pros: "Very safe, fun and comfortable. Huge trunk."

Cons: "Usually can't use generic parts"

"Wonderful car. I have kept up my Jetta's regular maintenance and have brought it in for any recalls and I have not had a problem. It really is a great car. When I first bought it, however, I had an argument with the dealership who insisted that this vehicle can only run on special VW oil. This is in no way true and I found the answer in an online manual (which I printed, highlighted and brought back to him) that discusses the need to use synthetic oil but there's no requirement to use a special VW brand synthetic oil to function properly or to keep the warranty. So I didn't buy the VW maintenance package and have gone to auto centers (such as Sears) to get my oil changes and as long as I used synthetic oil my warranty never broke prematurely. The only downfall to the car is that you usually can't use generic parts (even for things such as air and oil filters) but most mechanics and auto centers have them in stock. This brings the price up a bit for regular maintenance. Other than that the car is great and incredibly safe. It's comfortable for both short and tall people ( the driver seat raises for shorter people and has an overall roomy cabin which is good for taller people). It also has an unexpectedly huge trunk which always comes in handy for road trips and during moves."

A lot of bang for the buck

By on Thursday, July 1, 2010

"I've had my Wolfsburg w/dsg for 2 months. I have used around the metro area but also on a 1,000 mile road trip. The front seats are very comfortable and supportive. The 2.0 Turbo and DSG transmission work very well together. I never give a second thought about passing or entering a freeway onramp, with more than adequate power. I can't imagine buying a Jetta and not stepping up to the Wolfsburg...it's a no-brainer."

Never felt safer in a small vehicle

By on Friday, May 14, 2010

"I had an accident in my 2006 Jetta TDI in May of 2010. I have never felt more safe during an accident. I've been rear ended at slower speeds and have had much worse whiplash. I had none this time. This is a solid vehicle and receives amazing gas mileage. I've averaged well above the window average for highway miles on long car trips. This is a huge budget saver."

06 TDI Pkg Hard to beat for the $

By on Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"3+ years , 39+k miles, 40 mpg average overall. Continental tires wear well, but are noisy, Toyo is a good replacement. Maintainance is oil changes at 7K, and $5 to replace a light bulb. Recently replaced a defective factory clutch (warranty) and picked up 2-3 mpg in urban driving. Last tank 507 miles, 13 gallons...do the math. With the bad clutch I had seen 45-48 mpg at freeway speeds of 65-75 mph, 35 in town. It could be more luxurious,( I bought from inventory,) it could be roomier, I'm 6' and 300+ pounds. Stereo is a bit weak in the speaker department, way below my Acura, and it really needs a 6th gear for hiway cruising, 2200-2300 rpm seems a little busy for this little engine, but it can hold it's own in the mountains no problem."

Huge improvement over previous Jetta

By on Saturday, July 26, 2008

"I bought my 2006 Jetta brand new. Despite having some concern about quality based on reports of other people with the previous Jetta (1999-2004), I've been very impressed. The car now has 30,000 miles on it with nary an issue. There are "phantom" problems however due to the car having extremely advanced technology. I noticed the car was a little noisy at startup, but after I did some research, it turns out that there is a air pump that reduces pollution when you first turn on the car that makes a bit more noise. Indeed I've driven a couple other Jettas and this is a normal and proper thing. Also, to replace the windshield wipers, you must press down on the wiper stalk within 10 seconds after turning off the car. This puts the wipers in service mode and allows them to be changed. Overall, I love this car and would happily recommend one to anybody looking for a reliable and fun car."

Wont drive anything else

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

"I have owned 2 of these vehicles. I will never own any other kind of car. The fuel milage is crazy good, up to 55 mpg"

Reliable 45 MPG Diesel

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "Fuel, reliability, safety, classy looking interior"

Cons: "High AC vents, leg room, low front bumper"

"I went 167000 miles on this car with nothing but maintenance before something actually needed repaired. Good reliable little car feels more solid in construction than most small cars. The interior and exterior don't look or feel cheap like most fuel economy cars either. I am short so the leg room never bothered me but my 6'2" son looks a little cramped in the passenger's seat now. If you move the front seats back there isn't much leg room for adult sized passenger's in the back. Car is ok to haul a bunch of kids around until they hit their teen years. But hey, it's so cheap on fuel you really can't beat it. Supposed to get 40 mpg but I get 45 mpg. For a diesel it's quiet. The ac vents in the front are up a little higher than most cars. In Arizona it's so hot we actually DO want it blowing on our faces and messing up our hair. The front bumper is pretty low so if you let your tires get low this bumper can catch on the parking curb and when you go to back out it will pop off! The front passenger's seat has an awkward turn knob for adjusting the seat up and down while the driver's side is electric. Safety rating for side impact is the highest of any small car out there. Doors feel heavy and there are airbags everywhere. I feel safer in my Jetta than the bigger newer Passat they gave me as a loaner!"

Great car

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"I bought my 2006 Jetta 2.5 used and I got a great deal on it. I havn't had any problems with it and I also learned how to change the oil on her myself. Make sure you google how to change the oil if you do it yourself there are some nuances that you should be aware of. I love the power and the triptronic shifter, I went over mulholland drive and that was a blast."

VW TDI

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"THIS CAR IS A TRUE BLADDER BUSTER, 600 MILE PLUS RANGE. CAN DRIVE 20,200,OR400 MILES AND BE READY FOR MORE. VW SERVICE PRICEY BUT ONLY REQUIRED EVER 10,000 MILES. ONLY PROBLEM TO DATE AT 43K MILES IS THAT THE CLOCK RUNS SLOW. I PLAN TO TEST THE THE 12 YEAR UNLIMITED MILEAGE RUST WARRANTY. MPG RUNS BETWEEN 45-50 WITH THE 6 SPEED AUTO."

In now way feels like an "economy" car

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"I had an '01 VW Passat, which I loved. However, it had a few mechanical issues so I opted to trade it in for something new. I was worried about the "step down" to a Jetta from the Passat. Although I still prefer the body style of my '01 Passat over the Jetta, I LOVE the way the Jetta drives and "feels." It also gets much better gas mileage. The new Jetta styles and packages have come a long way from the past. In no way feel does my new Jetta feel like an "economy" car. For what I wanted, I'm very happy with my purchase."

Gas saver before gas savers.

By on Wednesday, October 1, 2014

"This is a small comfortable car for driving on highway. German engineering makes it a most dependable vehicle. I always get 30 miles to the gallon, cost effective to drive. It is low set therefore easy to take corners and curves. I have never had one problem with it, not one. As a woman this is a key issue, as safety and security are of utmost importance."

Great car. Handling, mileage, comfort. the whole

By on Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Pros: "Best german car for the money"

Cons: "service can be pricey"

"Still has dashboard blue lights. VW should never have changed. I plan on driving this car into the ground. Nothing appears cheap in the interior. Gets over 40mpg."

great car when its working.

By on Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive. comfortable. plenty of space"

Cons: "expensive fixes."

"Loved this car until things started to go bad. I had bought this car as my first car not knowing that volkswagon's would be such an expensive fix and once one thing happened a lot of other things went after. (not to mention I had to get synthetic oil so $90 oil changes) When it was working it was a great car. Drove well and very comfortable. Only downside like I said is repairs. Most places in the Houston area that I would try to get it repaired at don't work on volkswagon because it has special parts and I had been told several times that I would have to go to the actual dealer. I have been told that the newer ones don't have these problems but I would definitely look into it first before buying. OR buy brand new so you have warranty through the manufactor"

Best car I have ever owned.

By on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pros: "mpg, reliable, safe and sound."

Cons: "can't think of any."

"I usually trade vehicles about every 2 years, but I have owned this 2006 Jetta TDI from new. It has had a minimum amount of break downs. Hose on turbo split, cv boots replaced is all the repairs I have had to deal with. I now have 110000 miles on it. When maintained properly, (oil changes, timing belt,etc.) it will go for a good 200,000 plus. It handles great in ice and snow, and is a comfortable ride on road trips. All this and a 40 plus mpg this car is really hard to beat."

Fabulous car

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, excellent value, great service,"

Cons: "Stiff bucket seats, hard to load children"

"This car rocks. It's sporty, fun to drive, and we get complimented on it all the time. I love the way it hugs the road, the steering is tight but not ornery and the the interior styling is upscale. I'm not crazy about the bucket seats, a little uncomfortable for wider hips on long drives, and is low to the ground to achieve its sporty handling which can be a little effort to get in and out of with a baby, but overall this car is a 10."

incredible value, + enviro, great drive

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pros: "incredible value, responsive handling, nice design"

Cons: "womens ergonomics and ease of exit"

"This is one of the best deals out there. I ALWAYS get 40mpg and can get 50 if I try. I love the pickup and handling, space, etc. The amount I have spent on maintenance in total is less than two regular services on my old subaru. The engine will last forever. I only have three minor complaints. The seats are low and the car is hard to get out of, esp on a hill so I wouldn't recommend for those with limited mobility. Most car manufacturers don't have seat ergonomics that fit women very well. This car does fit much better than others on the market, but could use a couple more adjustable inches in the steering wheel and the headrests push too far forward. The only mechanical issue I have is that the auto transmission has failed to engage twice when I wanted to pull out of a steep driveway and the car's been cold. The mechanics at the dealer say its an auto transmission built on top of a manual one so every now and then there is a burp. The dealership has been great. I LOVE the 120v outlet in the car--it's great for roadtrips."

First VW Not disappointed

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pros: "Styling, comfort on long drives, large cargo area"

Cons: "Cost of routine maintenance after warranty"

"Bought this '09 Jetta SE 2.5 "Black on Tan" New on July 23rd 2009 "Build date is May 20th 2009" And have loved every day of it. Great for road trips with lots of cargo room, Even more than the Tiguan. LOL.. We originally went to buy a Tiguan but then found out since it has the 2.0t Engine it must run premium unleaded gas and it has less cargo area than the Jetta. We have since added a '12 Touareg TDI to the family for the SUV needs but that's another story. This car has been Amazing though. Taken it cross country from coast to coast with zero problems. Only thing is once the carefree maintenance runs out it can get very expensive for routine maintenance. As with any German car. The car has also held up amazingly well in the 120°F Las Vegas Summers. Cant say that about a few Hondas I have owned. :/ If your thinking about buying this car get it as a Certified Pre Owned from a Real VW Dealer. I think they throw in a 25k warranty on their pre owned cars."

loveitloveitloveit

By on Monday, April 2, 2012

"Comfortable, zippy and fun to drive in the mountains. Mileage is outstanding. My only complaint is the bumpers are so low to the ground it leads to scrapes in parking lots."

This is an amazing little car.

By on Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pros: "Handles great! Gas mileage is awesome. Sturdy."

Cons: "weird electrical things go on but I bought it used"

"My 2007 is more fun and easier to drive than my new 2011 Jeep Compass, (though the compass is great!) Handles very well through the windy roads in Bodega Bay and gets about 270 miles on a full tank around town and 300 freeway. I believe the tank is around 12 gallons (??). I bought this car used and it was a rental car in it's previous life. There is a weird electrical thing that goes on at times with it; hard to explain but it has to do with the lights going on after disarming the alarm. Sometimes the lights go on when you open the door, and sometimes they don't. I am sure it's from some sort of abuse the rental car life had on it and it's not major so it doesn't really bother me. The 2.5 5 cylinder engine really has some great "get up and go". Jumping on the freeway is never an issue. The Jetta gets right up to speed to merge without any argument."