2008 Volkswagen Jetta

Based on 1047 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Huge improvement over previous Jetta

By on Saturday, July 26, 2008

"I bought my 2006 Jetta brand new. Despite having some concern about quality based on reports of other people with the previous Jetta (1999-2004), I've been very impressed. The car now has 30,000 miles on it with nary an issue. There are "phantom" problems however due to the car having extremely advanced technology. I noticed the car was a little noisy at startup, but after I did some research, it turns out that there is a air pump that reduces pollution when you first turn on the car that makes a bit more noise. Indeed I've driven a couple other Jettas and this is a normal and proper thing. Also, to replace the windshield wipers, you must press down on the wiper stalk within 10 seconds after turning off the car. This puts the wipers in service mode and allows them to be changed. Overall, I love this car and would happily recommend one to anybody looking for a reliable and fun car."

love my VW!

By on Sunday, July 17, 2016

Pros: "gas mileage,roomy, quality interior,easy maintain"

Cons: "low,lightweight,non power lights"

"I have loved my jetta diesel tdi sport wagon. It has plenty of room to cart around all kinds of stuff for my job as an interior designer or for long trips. It gets great gas mileage, I fill up less than once a week, much better than the lexus 350 I owned. It is easy to park in urban situations. I love the fit and finish of the interior, it looks and feels like a much more expensive european car (I have the tan leatherette trim-easy to clean, holds up better than leather, and the panoramic sunroof is amazing, and I love the heated seats) yet it does not cost an arm and a leg to service it. That is one of he reasons I chose it over a bmw, audi, or volvo. I also chose it for the excellent gas mileage (close second was Prius villager but I didn't think prius interior was as nice). Drawbacks-well we all know there have been recalls over the false emissions claims so now I am deciding whether to let vw buy back my vehicle or to take the payout. I love the car and would be happy to stay in it so that is how I'm leaning. Other drawbacks: HP is not that great for passing on hwy; the car is light and low so driving amidst 18 wheelers on I-95 was daunting, but I rarely do that; Pet peeve: headlights must be turned on and off manually-I have too often forgotten and left my lights on only to find a dead battery in the morning-come on VW you can do better than that! Lastly, I was used to higher sitting SUVs so that took some time to get used to-I do wish it sat a little higher, so would consider the Tiguan next time, though it does not come in diesel model so mileage not as good. Overall this has been my favorite car ever (owned VW rabbit convertible ,jetta sedan,bmw 3 and 5 series,honda odyssey, land rover discovery,cadillac srx, lexus 350- loved this car too except for gas mileage) Overall I highly recommend this car"

Wont drive anything else

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

"I have owned 2 of these vehicles. I will never own any other kind of car. The fuel milage is crazy good, up to 55 mpg"

Reliable 45 MPG Diesel

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "Fuel, reliability, safety, classy looking interior"

Cons: "High AC vents, leg room, low front bumper"

"I went 167000 miles on this car with nothing but maintenance before something actually needed repaired. Good reliable little car feels more solid in construction than most small cars. The interior and exterior don't look or feel cheap like most fuel economy cars either. I am short so the leg room never bothered me but my 6'2" son looks a little cramped in the passenger's seat now. If you move the front seats back there isn't much leg room for adult sized passenger's in the back. Car is ok to haul a bunch of kids around until they hit their teen years. But hey, it's so cheap on fuel you really can't beat it. Supposed to get 40 mpg but I get 45 mpg. For a diesel it's quiet. The ac vents in the front are up a little higher than most cars. In Arizona it's so hot we actually DO want it blowing on our faces and messing up our hair. The front bumper is pretty low so if you let your tires get low this bumper can catch on the parking curb and when you go to back out it will pop off! The front passenger's seat has an awkward turn knob for adjusting the seat up and down while the driver's side is electric. Safety rating for side impact is the highest of any small car out there. Doors feel heavy and there are airbags everywhere. I feel safer in my Jetta than the bigger newer Passat they gave me as a loaner!"

Great car

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"I bought my 2006 Jetta 2.5 used and I got a great deal on it. I havn't had any problems with it and I also learned how to change the oil on her myself. Make sure you google how to change the oil if you do it yourself there are some nuances that you should be aware of. I love the power and the triptronic shifter, I went over mulholland drive and that was a blast."