2008 Volkswagen Jetta

Based on 973 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Very good and trifty commuting car

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "Torque, engine reliability , handling"

Cons: "entertainment system"

"Other than being pricey on maintenance and the high cost of diesel fuel I really enjoy driving the car. It holds the road very well in all weather conditions. Be aware that I'm on my 2nd entertainment system and this one died also. And to replace it with an OEM radio will be over $1,000."

safety, reliable as honda accord, jetta 2.5 2008

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "reliable as any car on earth [2008 jetta 2.5]"

"I have only changed oil, brakes on this vehicle. drives nice tight feel, very solid car-does best in IIHS crash tests receiving complement 'this is the way cars should be built' from IIHS spokesman=2008 2.5 model the best year....... the new, small frontal, iihs crash test was disappointing ['fair'] so I am looking at volvo [xc 90 or xc 60].........it seems only volvo thought of this ten years ago [the xc90 2005 on does incredibly well on the small frontal test, no other vehicle -except volvo 60, comes close] back seat too small for adults for a trip of any length ,, my only complaint is the new crash test...................manufacturers never thought you might hit a telephone pole , or an oncoming vehicle , striking at your headlight, only , area? disappointing to say the least..........from now on only Volvo, lesson learned"

V-Dub LOVE

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Pros: "Amazing gas mileage, fun features, big trunk"

Cons: "It doesn't do laundry"

"I love Volkswagens. This Jetta is my 3rd and by far my favorite which is why I financed it rather than lease it as I had done with my past Jettas. Although I do wish they would bring back the dual climate control that my 2006 Jetta had, this car has features that are so convenient; my favorite is a regular outlet to plug things in like my cell phone charger - no more car charger necessary! I love the iPhone jack in the center console and I love that my ringtone comes through the speakers when someone calls instead of a factory installed ring and that my navigation comes through my speakers even when there is music playing so I can focus on the road instead of looking at my phone. The trunk is enormous which everyone is surprised by, I do not need to get an suv for stroller and groceries after all! The gas mileage is amazing - 600 miles to a full tank or better on really long road trips (drove from Long Island to Central Florida and filled up only 2.5 times)! Volkswagen service at the dealership is outstanding, I always get a loaner Jetta so I don't need to bug someone to get me from the dealership while they work on my car. I've only had to take it in for it's scheduled service, I've had zero problems with my car. AND to boot, my car was only $19,500 brand new with so many bells and whistles!"

Great Value, Great Handling, Great Mileage

By on Monday, December 02, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, Great Mileage"

Cons: "A little Noisy"

"Mileage: 40 around town, 52 on the highway Very Comfortable Sporty Handling (It's German) Good reliability"

You can't go wrong with a TDI

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "Efficient & practical with a lot of great features"

Cons: "no changes to the newer model"

"This car is a true "steady eddy". This car has never failed me or left me stranded. The maintenance can be a bit costly but I've never experienced any major issues in the year I have owned it. It looks a little like a soccer mom car but still has a sporty and upscale look. VW isn't known for making changes from year to year & this is definately true with the Jetta sportwagon. A 2014 is exactly the same as my 2009. This car holds a lot of cargo so you won't be disappointed with the rear cargo space - especially once you fold the rear seats down. If you want something luxurious this is likely not your car. It doesn't have a fancy interior or a wow factor. It's comfortable, practical and efficient on fuel. My TDI gets about 40-42 MPG on the highway. You will not have trouble reselling a TDI - these are sought after vehicles!"

LOVE my Jetta

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, lots of room, good value"

Cons: "back seat a LITTLE small for tall people."

"I consider myself a "car person". I love everything about my Jetta. It's fun to drive, good gas mileage,and tons of room for vacation."

Fantastic Car, Lousy Lease Ending

By on Sunday, November 10, 2013

Pros: "Fantastic Car, Best in Class"

Cons: "Initial Tires, Brake Pads & Rotors --- Lousy Lease"

"We absolutely loved this car and had intended on leasing another one. Our circumstances changed and we wanted a lower payment but decided that we didn't want to drive the S Model with zero options. The car is surprisingly fast and agile...and very quiet for a small car. We had to take off some points for quality because the car does not come with high quality tires, brake pads or rotors from the factory...all of these failed in less than 25,000 miles. It seems illogical to build such a great car and then skimp on the most important "wear" items. However, even knowing this, we still intended to lease another Jetta. That is until the company called SGS that appraises and takes in or back all VW's off lease vehicles came out and charged us $800 because of a pin head size burn under the driver seat, along the seat rail. That was the only "Wear" they could find on the car and to add salt to the would, we just paid to have a full detail and wax done so the dealer would not have to and the car has 7,500 prepaid miles still left on it, so it's a more valuable low mileage car to boot. We will NEVER lease another Volkswagen of any kind because of the indifferent lease termination policy."

great car when its working.

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive. comfortable. plenty of space"

Cons: "expensive fixes."

"Loved this car until things started to go bad. I had bought this car as my first car not knowing that volkswagon's would be such an expensive fix and once one thing happened a lot of other things went after. (not to mention I had to get synthetic oil so $90 oil changes) When it was working it was a great car. Drove well and very comfortable. Only downside like I said is repairs. Most places in the Houston area that I would try to get it repaired at don't work on volkswagon because it has special parts and I had been told several times that I would have to go to the actual dealer. I have been told that the newer ones don't have these problems but I would definitely look into it first before buying. OR buy brand new so you have warranty through the manufactor"

best car I have ever driven

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

"I just got this car last summer, to get a more reliable car for school. I can tell you this is the best car I have driven in my life. Although I'm 19 years old and haven't driven for long, it's definitely a good car for school. I would recommend this car to anyone and other VW models as well."

fun and most functional car on the road

By on Monday, October 14, 2013

Pros: "fun, great mpg"

Cons: "silver with grey interior--not exciting to look at"

"I've owned this vehicle since it had less than 5,000 mi on it. It has tremendous pick-up, gets about 40mpgs, has plenty of room (back seat and trunk)and is a very fun car to drive. If you like to feel like you're engaged when you're driving, this car is thrilling to drive."

GREAT MPG

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

"VW DOES NOT COVER A LIGHT OR WERER SO I WOULD RATE THE COVERAGE OF THE 3 YEAR WARNTEEY POOR"

car bot worth the $$ with certain repairs & resell

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pros: "diesel block and sequential fuel injection"

Cons: "dpf replacment and other bad manufacturing of part"

"Car was OK till $125000 miles the dpf went and VW qouted me $6,000 and car only valued kbb or dealer $7,000 maybe 8-9 lucky. The ac compressor keeps breaking the alternator 3 times in year by ase. Certified mechanic. And tensioner puppy 3 times bad.. auxiliary. Jack sux when you disconnected battery for repairs every time needs $85 revise system ecm .. The engine compartment maintains to much heat from"

car bot worth the $$ with certain repairs & resell

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pros: "diesel block and sequential fuel injection"

Cons: "dpf replacment and other bad manufacturing of part"

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Friday, September 20, 2013

Pros: "Engine, fit and finish, comfort"

Cons: "Wish it had stronger A/C"

"Bought my 2008 2.5 SE used with 50,000 miles. This is my 5th VW over the years. Only oil changes, tires, battery, since then. I love this car. Drives well, no problems. I do find the A/C to take too long to get rolling but, this is Louisiana and it is very hot with high humidity. I am in the car business and have recommended this vehicle to many friends who have bought it and love theirs as well!!"

very good vehicle

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "durability, design, economy, comfort."

Cons: "undervalued resale value"

"this car has twice the technology and half of the price of Japanese vehicles."

Reliable and cheap to maintain

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "both seats in front should be heated."

"I bought this car new and have changed the oil per mfg requirements. I have put a new v belt and rear brakes on it. The car has a solid engine with good acceleration and good fuel economy. Even though I bought the stripped model with automatic it is probably the best vw I have owned."

Bad Idea

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Pros: "Rides Nice when works."

Cons: "Too Many problems"

"I had bought this car and have had nothing but problems my transmission has major problems which has made it no longer driveable. My driver side window buttons have stopped working. I had went to shut the door one day and the whole door panel had fell off. My Heat and A/C dont work. The roof panel was coming out when I got into my car one day. My check engine and Airbag light are on constantly. Have did my research after buying the car and found that many people have the same transmission problems and have not been able to fix the problem. Just advice If I can save one person from the stress I have had it is worth it!"

unreliable electronics

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable, moon roof is useful"

Cons: "too many problems that cost a lot to fix."

"This car has had several electronic problems including sensors, trunk latch, door stop locking and seat belt light continuously on. Most of this was off warrenty so out of my pocket. Volkswagon did agree to cover %80 of the last issue. I have never had a car with this many visits to the shop and the things I like about the car do not out weigh the nuisances. It does drive well. The milage with the diesel is not what I had hoped but is better than most gas vehicles. The seats in front are comfortable , the back seats are ok.Overall I am disappointed that it hasn't been worth the 25,00 price tag."

Wonderful car

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "value, fuel efficiency, good acceleration"

Cons: "The DSG is a bit slow shifting gears"

"VW did a good job compensating for the lack of HP with plenty of torque. It is not loud like the previous models. Fuel efficiency is better than some hybrids, but with significantly better acceleration. I would never own the gas version, but I love my TDI. A diesel lasts longer, but is is more expensive."

The best option for FUN and GREEN

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "MPG, responsiveness, handling, sound system, price"

Cons: "cannot stream pandora, no auto headlight off"

"I want to be Green but I am just not a Prius guy. This Jetta is great looking, very quick, nimble, and gets 33 mpg in town and over 40 on hwy. Excellent sound system(thought the Bluetooth is a hassle). Wish you could get the TDI CUP with leather but the plaid is cool and different. Have owned for 2.5 yrs, bought used and have had no issues. Go get one! Great car!"

The best option for FUN and GREEN

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "MPG, responsiveness, handling, sound system, price"

Cons: "cannot stream pandora, no auto headlight off"

TDI = Fuel Economy and Performance

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "Fuel Economy, Performance, Style, Comfort, Saftey"

Cons: "Repair Costs, Slightly Harder to find Diesel"

"I purchased my '09 Jetta TDI used 6 months ago and it has been a great car. I drive 30 miles a day (to and from work) but I do take a lot of road trips. A month after buying the car I took a trip from Indianapolis to Miami and back a week later--the car averaged 43 miles to the gallon during this trip. The interior is comfortable; leather heated seats arm rests for the front and rear passengers, and it has enough leg room for the rear passengers. My Jetta has a moon roof, which is nice. Instead of a button for the moon roof this one has a dial with preset positions for the roof to tilt or open. The exterior looks great. The performance is fine for me. If I am really trying to accelerate quickly I really have to work for it. This car was not meant to beat someone off the line. An issue that I do have with the car is the repair costs. It is unlikely to break down but if there is a problem it will cost you. I had a sensor in a glow plug (not the glow plug itself) fail and the glow plug had to be replaced. It was $128 for the part alone. Overall, I love my car. I know that there are gasoline and hybrid cars out there that get similar fuel economy but I really like my diesel."

Good car, Great milage.

By on Monday, July 01, 2013

Pros: "great milage, fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "somewhat pricy parts"

"I bought this car used with ~ 30000 miles on it . I use it as a daily driver. I put only synthetic oil in it and good tires under it and drive it year round. With the manual transmission and no biodiesel, I average around 45 MPG summer and 43MPG winter. (mostly highway) I have driven it with a light foot and eked out 50 MPG and 49MPG on a couple of tanks full. Normal maintenance has been somewhat pricy if you don't shop around and even then some things are still expensive. overall the car is fun to drive handles well and goes through snow pretty well as long as you don't get up on the drifts to heavy. I do recommend this car to others, whom I think, can manage a turbo charged diesel."

Good car, Great milage.

By on Monday, July 01, 2013

Pros: "great milage, fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "somewhat pricy parts"

Awesome Car!

By on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Pros: "Value, comfort, efficient"

"I traded in my beloved VR6 GTI with open intakes and chip, thinking I was having to sacrifice for the family! I drive lots and the TDI SW is the bomb. Comfortable, quick, fun, and efficient. Great value and Fahrvergneugen."