2008 Volkswagen Jetta

Based on 997 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

110,000 miles and drives like it did on day 1

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "powerful smaller car with good fuel efficiency"

Cons: "Diesel pricing, but..."

"Purchased this because it was a clean diesel with a strong engine. Have had for 5 years. 110,000 miles later and it still drives as well today as it did on day one. I drive about 60 miles roundtrip every day in not so great city driving conditions. Regular maintenance has kept this running really well. Fuel efficiency is a bonus!"

Great dependable, low maintenance, good looking -

By on Saturday, December 06, 2014

Pros: "Roomy, good looking, dependable, low maintenance"

"Sharp car, fun to drive, good looking, low maintenance, very comfortable. Still looks gray after 7 years - good gas mileage, great wagon."

Absolutely hate this car!!!

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "None."

Cons: "Expensive parts for repairs."

"Where to began. The headliner started to come loose after about 2 years. That was going to cost about $1k. Of course, the warranty was done. This car nickeled and dimed for repairs for almost 7 years. Now the transmission is bad and will cost about $4k-$5k to fix. And it is only at 133,000 miles. I say this after driving a 1986 Honda Prelude 295,000. Still driving a 2001 Mit. Montero at 249,000. I had a Datsun 200sx that I drove for about 300,000 before I sold it. I try to drive the wheels off of my cars before I get another. I'm selling the jetta asap. Oh, and I paid the jetta off."

do not get a jetta

By on Tuesday, November 25, 2014

"This car was the worst car I have ever owned. I have owned a 2006 Altima, a 2009 Altima, a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and each one blows the Jetta out of the water. The Jetta has had constant maintenance issues since it hit 90,000 miles. Bought this car for $14,000 last July and I regret that more than just about anything"

Almost good

By on Sunday, November 23, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "too many small problems"

"I was pretty satisfied with this car, until I started having trouble with so many little things. First the cover the rear windshield wiper fell off, might have been from car wash. Then my rear hatch would only open sometimes. Then the driver side door would not lock, Now the rear driver side door won't unlock, and can't even open from the inside. I believe it's bad lock actuators. I also had to replace the Turbo actuator, which the dealer was unable to diagnose, they wanted to replace the whole turbo, but luckily found a good local shop to fix it. I really wanted to like the car. I love the handling and the awesome MPG, but overall I'm disappointed with the car."

Love it

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pros: "Great price, dependable, reliable"

Cons: "tdi jetta get even better mileage"

"Best car I have ever owned, couldn't be happier with the 2010 jetta. I tried out a lot of cars but being 6'2" was an issue. this has plenty of room for my feet and head. Ive owned it since 2010 and almost have it paid off and don't plan on getting rid of it. Everything seems top of the line and the ride is the smoothest and quietest ride out there as far as I'm concerned."

TDI Joan Jetta is a tank

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Pros: "MPG, brakes, easy to maintain, trunk space"

Cons: "exterior color choices are slim (no green)"

"Original owner (this is our 3rd TDI) and Joan Jetta is a tank -- she's made it through Hurricane Ike and a couple of falling tree limbs as well... Common repairs are an EGR heater hose replacement, RCV (refrigerant control valve), DMF (dual mass flywheel) replacement. Also, I've done all the maintenance since Day #1, so yes, the supplies are specific and somewhat expensive, but all 4 filters (oil, fuel, air, cabin) can be changed in less than 1 hour. She routinely gets mid-30 mpg in rough Houston city driving and I've gotten 49 mpg highway at consistent 70 mph. Also, there is no DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) required and she is exempt from the TX annual exhaust testing for the inspection sticker. Finally, like the title says, Joan Jetta is a tank, so don't hesitate to allow your teenager to drive her"

Best car! Most bang for my bucks!!

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "Perfect car, great on fuel, super fun ride!"

Cons: "no con's from my point of view!"

"I've owned my TDI Jetta for 7 years now and I love it!! Its a beautiful car and super on fuel mileage! I will be buying another new one next year!!!"

Best car I've bought

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pros: "MPG, fun to drive, fit and finish"

Cons: "Maintenance difficult to do yourself"

"We have the Cup Edition and it's the best vehicle we've owned. It's fun to drive around town and even better on the highway. My wife drives 75 miles each way to work and she averages 47mpg. The inside is nice. I don't know what else to say other than we love the car."

I love this car!

By on Sunday, October 26, 2014

Pros: "Gas milage is awesome, handles great, reliable"

Cons: "no leg room"

"This car is the third VW Jetta TDI I've owned and I will continue to buy them. The gas mileage is phenomenal! I average about 46 mpg highway. It is very reliable and handles pretty well in cold weather and snow considering its size and weight. The only problem I've had with any of the three I owned is the wiring in the steering column. I had this problem on my second Jetta, but not the one I own now. I feel very safe in these cars as well. The handling is great and the safety ratings are good too. The trunk fits a lot."

Great car.

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

Pros: "great car fun to drive."

"Fun to drive. Never let me down. only regular maintenance."

Great car, minus the price of repairs

By on Thursday, October 16, 2014

Pros: "Runs FOREVER! Great MPG. Fun to drive"

Cons: "Expensive to repair. Specialty parts are awful."

"I absolutely LOVE my Jetta TDI! It has not fail me yet. I have driven it across country many times and it is awesome. What I love most about it is the MPG. If I don't speed, I can get up to 45+ on the highway, and then in the city it gets about 30+. But if something goes out on the ol' hot rod it is very pricey to fix. One of my headlights went out one time and it was about $60 to fix... And getting the oil changed (only every 10,000 miles cause its a TDI) is about $50. But do you expect anything less from a German car? Again I absolutely LOVE my car, besides the price of the repairs:)"

great auto

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "will buy another the diesel comes loaded"

Cons: "0"

"Great car Comfortable on long trips--41 to 49 mpg diesel 31 to 32 in city quiet no smell, smoke or clatter different sound than gas engine great looking roomy for passengers and luggage minimal torque steer cruises easily at 80 at 2500 rpm reliable"

Awesome Car!

By on Thursday, October 09, 2014

Pros: "Sharp looking, drives great, very good options!"

Cons: "Only con I have is that it's black!"

"This is the best vehicle I've ever owned! I love this car and hope it never wears out. If it does, you can bet I will get another VW Jetta!!!"

Gas saver before gas savers.

By on Wednesday, October 01, 2014

"This is a small comfortable car for driving on highway. German engineering makes it a most dependable vehicle. I always get 30 miles to the gallon, cost effective to drive. It is low set therefore easy to take corners and curves. I have never had one problem with it, not one. As a woman this is a key issue, as safety and security are of utmost importance."

Good car but major electrical issues

By on Friday, September 19, 2014

Pros: "Great price"

Cons: "Bad on gas, electrical issues always a problem"

"I have n 09 Jetta SE Sedan. The car is nice but be prepared as this car constantly has electrical issues. Many people who have had VW's in the past say this is a major issue with having this type of car. It's not good on gas. I travel a lot for work and use rental cars so I get different cars. I can see some brand cars are very good on gas in which my Jetta can not compare."

Beware over 80,000 miles

By on Saturday, September 13, 2014

Pros: "Tight steering, sunroof"

Cons: "Engine trouble, little things that don't work"

"Bought new. Car had few problems in the beginning other than some small things (and a small engine problem that was repaired under warranty). Then, all went downhill. First, the hatchback would not open. Ended up spending $1000 to replace locking feature. The back doors don't lock, which we chose not to replace because that would have cost about $500 to diagnose and replace. At approximately 100k miles, replaced some sort of emmision flaps ($2000). Then the whopper.... Balance shaft assembly ($3000). We maintain our cars at the dealership and this has put me over the edge. We bought the car for the tdi and have been very disappointed. Buyer beware... There are only a handful of mechanics that will even touch the tdi and then they charge a ton. Love the sunroof and it does get better gas mileage than most, but we never got the 50 mpg advertised."

Great Car!

By on Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, comfortable, dsg transmission"

Cons: "no MFSW, no bluetooth,"

"If you are looking for a sedan that's sporty like a GTI but still practical, here's where you need to be. This 2008 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition has been great to me. I haven't had very many problems with the car, the only issue was one thing a couple years back, with less than thirty days after buying the car so it was warrantied, but I can't recall what it was. The suspension is not sporty, it is very comfortable - even though it has the sporty engine, the same one that comes in the 2008+ GTI and GLI, the ever so reliable 2.0TSI (which I adore). The DSG shifts like butter. It's great. The steering wheel is responsive and easy to turn. It's stylish and bubbly. The only thing I really wish this car had was more convenience. Since it's still a "Jetta" not a GLI or GTI it didn't come with steering wheel functions, or even the little menu on the dash they have that tells you your fuel consumption and miles until your tank is empty. Though I didn't keep track of the MPGs I got while driving, I usually averaged about 350 miles per tank, or 375+ when only highway driving. All-around great car."

TDI is a great car for long-distance driving

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficiency and driving comfort"

Cons: "Fuel availability. VW does not recommend bio fuel"

"The TDI desiel is very efficient. The average mileage we expect is 46 and that has stayed consistent over the life of the car. The cost differental for fuel becomes a non-issue with this mpg. The car is very comfortable for long-distance driving. With the fold-down rear seat there is considerable capacity for alomost any trip. Our travel is usually just two passengers. This acr will not be great for a family. We use it as our primary car year-round but do most of our travel in warm weather. It handles well in bad weather. Fuel is becoming increasingly available, but remains a question in some parts of the country. Fuel avaialblity is the only real question if I decide to replace it in the future."

Summary of Experience

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

"A few excellent features (handling, cruise control, lights) Mostly average features, and a few very annoying features (disappointing gas mileage, difficult to read controls, very annoying door locks)"

Love my VW

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

"My second TDI Jetta. Fuel economy 42 to 50. Overall thousands of miles 43.9. Great quality and comfort, with a surprisingly large trunk! Not one problem in 4 yrs, follow the service manual with dealership service. Moved into our subdivision 10 yrs. ago and 5 neighbors now drive VW's, due to my advertising! Next VW will be a Passat with the TDI as rear leg room on the Jetta is snug unless the front seats are moved fairly forward."

This has been a very good car with some exception.

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "Nice car to drive, reliable mechanically."

Cons: "Poor Interior quality."

"Mechanically this has been a very good car. The interior quality is the thing most lacking on this car. The dash has peeled again after having been replaced under warranty. The headliner has come totally loose, and subsequent investigation reveals this is a common problem with 2004-2006 VW Jetta'S. VW has not issued a recall and is not likely to despite consumer complaints."

Very good to drive locally or on highway

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "Great to drive"

Cons: "Moon roof creates excessive noise when fully open"

"The car is very enjoyable to drive. Average gas mileage. Excellent acceleration from stop and during drive"

Excellent car. Seven years, no problems.

By on Friday, August 29, 2014

"The TDI is one of the best cars I have ever owned. Mileage is fantastic, over 50 mpg, cruising at 70-75. Over 40 mpg around town. Very quiet and comfortable. Slightly underpowered but cruises at hiway speeds easily."

I have had the car appraised at car max

By on Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pros: "Great mileage"

"I have had the car appraised at car max who gave every category they checked a good standing. The car has brand new tires with a transferrable warranty. I have had one other dealership trade in quote which was better than car max and I have a person interested in buying it. The car is in gret shape. I am selling due to a change in my life where I need a different car. I've loved this car and have been the only owner. i certainly will miss the great diesel mileage. One tank gets me from Nashville to Mobile."