2008 Volkswagen Jetta

Based on 1011 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Volkswagen safety standards save my life

By on Saturday, November 10, 2012

Pros: "safety, style, high-end interior feel"

Cons: "Not enough storage compartments"

This is just the front, the back end also looks just as bad!

"I slammed into the back of an 18 wheeler at 75 miles per hour and then another vehicle slammed into the back of mine at 75 miles per hour. My 2008 Volkswagen Jetta had no front end or back end left, but the cabin looked just like it did the day I bought it, other than the airbag being deployed. When people see pictures of my car after the accident they can't believe that I was not injured. Just a scrape on my knee and a busted nose from the airbag, along with some bruising from the seatbelt are the only injuries I received. But one look at the car and I know it could have been so much worse! Thanks Volkswagen for your safety standards.... they really saved my life!"

This is just the front, the back end also looks just as bad!

Excellent ride

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"This car is a lot of fun to drive. You can throw it around a bit, especially with the larger rims and lower profile tires, and yet it is an exceptionally comfortable cruiser. The optional Detroit wheels (that look like a revolver) are especially nice, and the seats are supportive and remarkably comfortable. There are quicker sedans out there, which are also much more expensive. The road manners are excellent and even forgiving for the less experienced driver. Back seat accomodations are very nice, and the trunk and interior space are at least as spacious as our 2002 Passat. DSG transmission is beautifully matched to the engine. We got ours on a lease, and it looks like we'll be buying the car at the end of the term. In snow states, be sure to get a set of winter tires to switch out the summer performance tires."

safety, reliable as honda accord, jetta 2.5 2008

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "reliable as any car on earth [2008 jetta 2.5]"

"I have only changed oil, brakes on this vehicle. drives nice tight feel, very solid car-does best in IIHS crash tests receiving complement 'this is the way cars should be built' from IIHS spokesman=2008 2.5 model the best year....... the new, small frontal, iihs crash test was disappointing ['fair'] so I am looking at volvo [xc 90 or xc 60].........it seems only volvo thought of this ten years ago [the xc90 2005 on does incredibly well on the small frontal test, no other vehicle -except volvo 60, comes close] back seat too small for adults for a trip of any length ,, my only complaint is the new crash test...................manufacturers never thought you might hit a telephone pole , or an oncoming vehicle , striking at your headlight, only , area? disappointing to say the least..........from now on only Volvo, lesson learned"

Maintain

By on Thursday, November 26, 2009

"Owned my 07 scince new never had a problem with it, great handling, great style, accelerate from 70 to 100 mph on highway instantly and not even notice your doing 100mph, overall i like the car but have some concern about the future maintenance of this car, It seems everything for this car requires some special fluids or procedure to be done, Example 1 gallon of antifreeze cost $24.00 one oil change $65.00 doing it my self. My concern is how much will it cost when i need to change transmission oil, brakes shocks tires and the dreaded timing belt, what i have heard while the Tech has the front of the engine apart might as well change water pump to, all must be done at dealer $$ Currently my VW somtimes has a strange noise come from the transmission it seems like the transmission sometimes gets confused as to what gear it should go into resulting in a low pitch clunk sound, this happens occasionally on acceleration and deceleration. With all windows rolled up and sun roof open at 30mph U get a helicopter noise in the car and i can feel my eardrums being sucked in and out, sounds Strange i know. Roll all windows down if riding with sunroof open"

You can't go wrong with a TDI

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "Efficient & practical with a lot of great features"

Cons: "no changes to the newer model"

"This car is a true "steady eddy". This car has never failed me or left me stranded. The maintenance can be a bit costly but I've never experienced any major issues in the year I have owned it. It looks a little like a soccer mom car but still has a sporty and upscale look. VW isn't known for making changes from year to year & this is definately true with the Jetta sportwagon. A 2014 is exactly the same as my 2009. This car holds a lot of cargo so you won't be disappointed with the rear cargo space - especially once you fold the rear seats down. If you want something luxurious this is likely not your car. It doesn't have a fancy interior or a wow factor. It's comfortable, practical and efficient on fuel. My TDI gets about 40-42 MPG on the highway. You will not have trouble reselling a TDI - these are sought after vehicles!"

Great commuting car!

By on Friday, April 17, 2009

"We are on our 3rd Jetta TDI. My husband has had his TDI for 10yrs w/ over 260,000mi and still runs like a champ. We both decided to buy 2 more 2009 TDI b/c they are so reliable and our daily work commute is long. The price is worth it!"

Remarkably reliable

By on Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive"

"This has been my most reliable car, perhaps that's why I've had it for 10 years. Only 1-2 warranty issues over the years and very economical to use as my commuter car. Good comfort. Good ride quality and handling. Spacious trunk. Plenty of room."

Lemon Alert!

By on Friday, August 06, 2010

"I'm not sure if it's just mine, but the Jetta sitting in my work parking lot right now has a lot of issues. It's a beautiful car, well designed inside and out. Dual climate zones, bottom warmers, indicator lights. Problem: Major mechanical issues. I've had windows, locks, solenoids, a seat, shock bearings, lights (SO many headlights) , etc replaced. That was within warranty. Then, my transmission exploded. Not sure why. That cost me $7000 to fix, cash. I had to take out a 2nd loan. Now my used 2005 New Jetta cost me a grand total of $28,000, before interest. Watch out. It's beautiful to look at, but it's been a nightmare."

Great drivetrain, but Electrical,Interior is poor

By on Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pros: "Excellent gas milage"

Cons: "Interior,exterior quality"

"Electrical wiring harness recall.Class action only partially paid for replacement.Headliners only lasted a few years.Plastic coating on doorlocks radio ect. comes off in pieces.Headlight lens degrade quickly.Problem with trunk latches.My 2006 drives great but the extra cost repairing poor quality adds up."

Drives great, looks great--but it's a Volkswagen.

By on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pros: "Styling, looks, amenities."

Cons: "premium fuel"

"Wonderful-looking car, and fun to drive. Super looks. At this point, though (86,000 miles and just out of warranty), strange things are going on, costing me over $2000 in repairs this summer."

The best car I have owned. In 40 years of driving

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive! I have a manual trans."

Cons: "Every year it gets older."

"I have owned a lot of cars in my life and this one all around is the best. It handles great, it gets 43.4 mpg per gallon(with out a/c, about 4 miles less with) around town and up to 50 on the highway. It cruses great, fits in most every parking space I find, has great trunk and cabin space. Four people fit well(I am 6'3" at 220lbs). With diesel fuel per gallon usually within 10% of gas cost and this car getting about 100% more per mile then most, in these times wow! 600 miles per tank!"

best car ever

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pros: "handling, reliability, peppy"

Cons: "a bit small for larger people"

"82,000 miles later. Great car, great handling, NOT ONE MECHANICAL FAILURE IN SIX YEARS."

Its well-worth it

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pros: "Fuel Economy, stylish, reliability"

Cons: "Interior made with choppy materials."

"I have had this car for nearly 6 years. The only downfall I have had is that the AC needs maintance and I am not sure exactly what is needed but it might be the entire compressor. Other than that this car is still running great at 114,000 miles. Engine purrs. I am going to keep this car until the transmission goes out. That is the only component that I can see failing as the transmission does skip on down shifting mainly but this is generally "normal". This car is a very economic car and I still love my decision."

Perfect Car!

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive, comfortable"

"I am a college student who commutes. This car gets good mpg and it is a peppy car. I owned a 2002 vw jetta before this and i loved it, so i decided to stick to the vw family. I have no complaints about this car. It is very comfortable, great sound system, and it also does well in the snow for being a 2wd sedan. I will most deffinently stick with VW's!!!"

Great car

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Good gas mileage, plenty of trunk room,comfortable"

Cons: "No cup holders in the backseat"

"I've had a Jetta for several years and have only had one slight mechanical issue! The car drives very well, has luxuries that I love (leather seats, sun roof, etc.) and gets great gas mileage. For a smaller car, the trunk has plenty of room for what I need to store and carry. It's a good value for the price. The only downside is that VW must perform any type of service (other than oil changes) and that can be expensive."

Great Value and Teriffic Car

By on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pros: "overall a great car"

Cons: "Heater is a little slow to warm up, no heated whee"

"40 to 53 mpg, Driving dynamics superb, reliability superb, comfort supurb. trunk huge. Now for the bad things: a little noisy on the rough highways although it could be the tires because it is quiet on new roads. The heater takes a while to warm up. I would like AWD and a heated stearing wheel. THAT's IT."

Best value, comfort and fuel efficiency

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "fast, sporty, comfortable, GREAT MILEAGE"

"I have owned and loved three Diesel Jettas over the years. This one is the best yet. Fast, sporty, and comfortable, and GREAT MILEAGE. I love it. Not a luxury car, but still very nice to drive and proud to own. Efficient reliable transportation with some fun thrown in."

Great car but too many issues.

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "Great all round car"

Cons: "Too problematic"

"This car is a fantastic piece of equipment-when it doesn't have a problem. The driving experience is great and it is a quality vehicle in terms of capability. It is a good sports car when you want it to be (GLi model) and a great economical vehicle for daily driving (31 MPG highway). However, there have been too many issues-trunk switch and latch had to be replaced, nav unit replaced, the oil filler spout came of the engine valve cover and had to be replaced ($800), the catalytic converter went out at 75k and had to be replaced, the fuel pump went out at 89k and the camshaft and lifters were damaged too-that all needed replaced too. I have to put new brake/tail light bulbs in every 3-4 months because one always burns out without fail. VW service is great at my local dealer, but no courtesy car is a pain-they had my car for almost 3 weeks working on the fuel pump and camshaft-I drive for a living and this was a major upset/inconvenience to my family. This car has been one of the best I have had in terms of equipment/technology etc, but by far the worst in terms of reliability and cost to repair-Thank God I had a good extended warranty! I must also say that VW stepped up and repaired a lot of things under their own warranty, even though the bumper to bumper and engine warranty's were expired. A perfect love/hate situation!"

I Love my Jettta

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

Pros: "Great PRice, Excellent Reliability--Best Car I have ever owned!"

Cons: "No iPod attachment for my year."

"I used to own Jeep Wranglers and CJ's which were a lot of fun. When gas prices went through the roof...so did I. Walked right into local dealership and bought my TDI. Best car decision I have EVER made. I get anywhere from 42 to 53 mpg. which means I fill my tank roughly once a month...and I'm usually only at the 1/4 full mark. This little car has pick up! My first car was a very old Mercedes Diesel....and "Gertie" was cute and reliable but it took about 10 minutes to get to 60mph. Not with my Jetta. My only regret is that now they are less expensive then when I bought my car. How does VW do that? OK so there are some very expensive things that have to be replaced at 90,000 (timing belt--$1000). Also, you can never go to a Jiffy Lube to get them tuned up or oil changed. They don't have the wrenches. If they try it you will be sorry. Just find a VW specialist and take it to them. A bit more $$ but you will be rewarded in the end."

WORST CAR EVER

By on Sunday, May 24, 2009

"since I bought the car 3 yeears ago/2006 I've been to the dealer at least 15-20times for repair and some part replacements . most of them where coverd by warrantty.till 50k miles.I've just spend $ 5,000.00 on the transmition ,'ive got about 65k miles on it.WORST CAR EVER. They are to costly to maintaine & repair."

Love it

By on Monday, April 13, 2015

"We bought this car brand new in 2007 and have driven it all over the place. We have made sure we stuck to the owner's manual for all maintenance and it is a good thing we did because this car has been nothing but incredible to us. We shipped it from the US to the UK, drove it all over Europe and then shipped it back to the US with us and she is still going strong. 112k miles and we haven't had any major issues (I definitely cannot say the same about our TDI beetle). Like one other reviewer, we've had a couple of warranty items that we had fixed but other than that, our biggest issues have been the driver side headlight goes through bulbs rather quickly (really not that big of a deal) and the panel between the front and back passenger side windows had paint peel off of it (again, not that big of an issue considering its a black panel and the material under the paint is also black). My husband is a TDI lover for life now. Once this car finally dies, he plans on buying another one."

Wont drive anything else

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

"I have owned 2 of these vehicles. I will never own any other kind of car. The fuel milage is crazy good, up to 55 mpg"

Our best vehicle

By on Sunday, November 04, 2012

Pros: "quiet on road"

Cons: "no place for lady's purse"

"Reliable, good in bad weather/new snow up to 5 inches (tested!). Well-placed intuitive controls, good heating/AC, and mist clearing for windows. Always felt very safe with excellent road handling, good ride comfort. Good to know we were driving the best "Green" sedan for overall mileage, energy use, and clean exhaust."

Still love it!

By on Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Pros: "Very safe, fun and comfortable. Huge trunk."

Cons: "Usually can't use generic parts"

"Wonderful car. I have kept up my Jetta's regular maintenance and have brought it in for any recalls and I have not had a problem. It really is a great car. When I first bought it, however, I had an argument with the dealership who insisted that this vehicle can only run on special VW oil. This is in no way true and I found the answer in an online manual (which I printed, highlighted and brought back to him) that discusses the need to use synthetic oil but there's no requirement to use a special VW brand synthetic oil to function properly or to keep the warranty. So I didn't buy the VW maintenance package and have gone to auto centers (such as Sears) to get my oil changes and as long as I used synthetic oil my warranty never broke prematurely. The only downfall to the car is that you usually can't use generic parts (even for things such as air and oil filters) but most mechanics and auto centers have them in stock. This brings the price up a bit for regular maintenance. Other than that the car is great and incredibly safe. It's comfortable for both short and tall people ( the driver seat raises for shorter people and has an overall roomy cabin which is good for taller people). It also has an unexpectedly huge trunk which always comes in handy for road trips and during moves."

A lot of bang for the buck

By on Thursday, July 01, 2010

"I've had my Wolfsburg w/dsg for 2 months. I have used around the metro area but also on a 1,000 mile road trip. The front seats are very comfortable and supportive. The 2.0 Turbo and DSG transmission work very well together. I never give a second thought about passing or entering a freeway onramp, with more than adequate power. I can't imagine buying a Jetta and not stepping up to the Wolfsburg...it's a no-brainer."