2006 Volkswagen Jetta

Based on 1023 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Excellent ride

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"This car is a lot of fun to drive. You can throw it around a bit, especially with the larger rims and lower profile tires, and yet it is an exceptionally comfortable cruiser. The optional Detroit wheels (that look like a revolver) are especially nice, and the seats are supportive and remarkably comfortable. There are quicker sedans out there, which are also much more expensive. The road manners are excellent and even forgiving for the less experienced driver. Back seat accomodations are very nice, and the trunk and interior space are at least as spacious as our 2002 Passat. DSG transmission is beautifully matched to the engine. We got ours on a lease, and it looks like we'll be buying the car at the end of the term. In snow states, be sure to get a set of winter tires to switch out the summer performance tires."

safety, reliable as honda accord, jetta 2.5 2008

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "reliable as any car on earth [2008 jetta 2.5]"

"I have only changed oil, brakes on this vehicle. drives nice tight feel, very solid car-does best in IIHS crash tests receiving complement 'this is the way cars should be built' from IIHS spokesman=2008 2.5 model the best year....... the new, small frontal, iihs crash test was disappointing ['fair'] so I am looking at volvo [xc 90 or xc 60].........it seems only volvo thought of this ten years ago [the xc90 2005 on does incredibly well on the small frontal test, no other vehicle -except volvo 60, comes close] back seat too small for adults for a trip of any length ,, my only complaint is the new crash test...................manufacturers never thought you might hit a telephone pole , or an oncoming vehicle , striking at your headlight, only , area? disappointing to say the least..........from now on only Volvo, lesson learned"

You can't go wrong with a TDI

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "Efficient & practical with a lot of great features"

Cons: "no changes to the newer model"

"This car is a true "steady eddy". This car has never failed me or left me stranded. The maintenance can be a bit costly but I've never experienced any major issues in the year I have owned it. It looks a little like a soccer mom car but still has a sporty and upscale look. VW isn't known for making changes from year to year & this is definately true with the Jetta sportwagon. A 2014 is exactly the same as my 2009. This car holds a lot of cargo so you won't be disappointed with the rear cargo space - especially once you fold the rear seats down. If you want something luxurious this is likely not your car. It doesn't have a fancy interior or a wow factor. It's comfortable, practical and efficient on fuel. My TDI gets about 40-42 MPG on the highway. You will not have trouble reselling a TDI - these are sought after vehicles!"

Lemon Alert!

By on Friday, August 06, 2010

"I'm not sure if it's just mine, but the Jetta sitting in my work parking lot right now has a lot of issues. It's a beautiful car, well designed inside and out. Dual climate zones, bottom warmers, indicator lights. Problem: Major mechanical issues. I've had windows, locks, solenoids, a seat, shock bearings, lights (SO many headlights) , etc replaced. That was within warranty. Then, my transmission exploded. Not sure why. That cost me $7000 to fix, cash. I had to take out a 2nd loan. Now my used 2005 New Jetta cost me a grand total of $28,000, before interest. Watch out. It's beautiful to look at, but it's been a nightmare."

Great commuting car!

By on Friday, April 17, 2009

"We are on our 3rd Jetta TDI. My husband has had his TDI for 10yrs w/ over 260,000mi and still runs like a champ. We both decided to buy 2 more 2009 TDI b/c they are so reliable and our daily work commute is long. The price is worth it!"

Remarkably reliable

By on Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive"

"This has been my most reliable car, perhaps that's why I've had it for 10 years. Only 1-2 warranty issues over the years and very economical to use as my commuter car. Good comfort. Good ride quality and handling. Spacious trunk. Plenty of room."

Love it

By on Monday, April 13, 2015

"We bought this car brand new in 2007 and have driven it all over the place. We have made sure we stuck to the owner's manual for all maintenance and it is a good thing we did because this car has been nothing but incredible to us. We shipped it from the US to the UK, drove it all over Europe and then shipped it back to the US with us and she is still going strong. 112k miles and we haven't had any major issues (I definitely cannot say the same about our TDI beetle). Like one other reviewer, we've had a couple of warranty items that we had fixed but other than that, our biggest issues have been the driver side headlight goes through bulbs rather quickly (really not that big of a deal) and the panel between the front and back passenger side windows had paint peel off of it (again, not that big of an issue considering its a black panel and the material under the paint is also black). My husband is a TDI lover for life now. Once this car finally dies, he plans on buying another one."

Great drivetrain, but Electrical,Interior is poor

By on Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pros: "Excellent gas milage"

Cons: "Interior,exterior quality"

"Electrical wiring harness recall.Class action only partially paid for replacement.Headliners only lasted a few years.Plastic coating on doorlocks radio ect. comes off in pieces.Headlight lens degrade quickly.Problem with trunk latches.My 2006 drives great but the extra cost repairing poor quality adds up."

WORST CAR EVER

By on Sunday, May 24, 2009

"since I bought the car 3 yeears ago/2006 I've been to the dealer at least 15-20times for repair and some part replacements . most of them where coverd by warrantty.till 50k miles.I've just spend $ 5,000.00 on the transmition ,'ive got about 65k miles on it.WORST CAR EVER. They are to costly to maintaine & repair."

Drives great, looks great--but it's a Volkswagen.

By on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pros: "Styling, looks, amenities."

Cons: "premium fuel"

"Wonderful-looking car, and fun to drive. Super looks. At this point, though (86,000 miles and just out of warranty), strange things are going on, costing me over $2000 in repairs this summer."