2006 Volkswagen Jetta

Based on 1029 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

VW TDI

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"THIS CAR IS A TRUE BLADDER BUSTER, 600 MILE PLUS RANGE. CAN DRIVE 20,200,OR400 MILES AND BE READY FOR MORE. VW SERVICE PRICEY BUT ONLY REQUIRED EVER 10,000 MILES. ONLY PROBLEM TO DATE AT 43K MILES IS THAT THE CLOCK RUNS SLOW. I PLAN TO TEST THE THE 12 YEAR UNLIMITED MILEAGE RUST WARRANTY. MPG RUNS BETWEEN 45-50 WITH THE 6 SPEED AUTO."

In now way feels like an "economy" car

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"I had an '01 VW Passat, which I loved. However, it had a few mechanical issues so I opted to trade it in for something new. I was worried about the "step down" to a Jetta from the Passat. Although I still prefer the body style of my '01 Passat over the Jetta, I LOVE the way the Jetta drives and "feels." It also gets much better gas mileage. The new Jetta styles and packages have come a long way from the past. In no way feel does my new Jetta feel like an "economy" car. For what I wanted, I'm very happy with my purchase."

Great car for the price.

By on Monday, August 17, 2015

Pros: "Lot of car for the money"

Cons: "Headlights have manual switch"

"Perfect small sedan for driving just about anywhere. Lots of features for the price. Only problem was no automatic headlights. Just oil changes and tire rotations and about ready for a new battery. Car's fit and finish is solid. Very reliable car."

Gas saver before gas savers.

By on Wednesday, October 01, 2014

"This is a small comfortable car for driving on highway. German engineering makes it a most dependable vehicle. I always get 30 miles to the gallon, cost effective to drive. It is low set therefore easy to take corners and curves. I have never had one problem with it, not one. As a woman this is a key issue, as safety and security are of utmost importance."

Great car. Handling, mileage, comfort. the whole

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Pros: "Best german car for the money"

Cons: "service can be pricey"

"Still has dashboard blue lights. VW should never have changed. I plan on driving this car into the ground. Nothing appears cheap in the interior. Gets over 40mpg."

Reliable 45 MPG Diesel

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "Fuel, reliability, safety, classy looking interior"

Cons: "High AC vents, leg room, low front bumper"

"I went 167000 miles on this car with nothing but maintenance before something actually needed repaired. Good reliable little car feels more solid in construction than most small cars. The interior and exterior don't look or feel cheap like most fuel economy cars either. I am short so the leg room never bothered me but my 6'2" son looks a little cramped in the passenger's seat now. If you move the front seats back there isn't much leg room for adult sized passenger's in the back. Car is ok to haul a bunch of kids around until they hit their teen years. But hey, it's so cheap on fuel you really can't beat it. Supposed to get 40 mpg but I get 45 mpg. For a diesel it's quiet. The ac vents in the front are up a little higher than most cars. In Arizona it's so hot we actually DO want it blowing on our faces and messing up our hair. The front bumper is pretty low so if you let your tires get low this bumper can catch on the parking curb and when you go to back out it will pop off! The front passenger's seat has an awkward turn knob for adjusting the seat up and down while the driver's side is electric. Safety rating for side impact is the highest of any small car out there. Doors feel heavy and there are airbags everywhere. I feel safer in my Jetta than the bigger newer Passat they gave me as a loaner!"

great car when its working.

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive. comfortable. plenty of space"

Cons: "expensive fixes."

"Loved this car until things started to go bad. I had bought this car as my first car not knowing that volkswagon's would be such an expensive fix and once one thing happened a lot of other things went after. (not to mention I had to get synthetic oil so $90 oil changes) When it was working it was a great car. Drove well and very comfortable. Only downside like I said is repairs. Most places in the Houston area that I would try to get it repaired at don't work on volkswagon because it has special parts and I had been told several times that I would have to go to the actual dealer. I have been told that the newer ones don't have these problems but I would definitely look into it first before buying. OR buy brand new so you have warranty through the manufactor"

Best car I have ever owned.

By on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pros: "mpg, reliable, safe and sound."

Cons: "can't think of any."

"I usually trade vehicles about every 2 years, but I have owned this 2006 Jetta TDI from new. It has had a minimum amount of break downs. Hose on turbo split, cv boots replaced is all the repairs I have had to deal with. I now have 110000 miles on it. When maintained properly, (oil changes, timing belt,etc.) it will go for a good 200,000 plus. It handles great in ice and snow, and is a comfortable ride on road trips. All this and a 40 plus mpg this car is really hard to beat."

Fabulous car

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, excellent value, great service,"

Cons: "Stiff bucket seats, hard to load children"

"This car rocks. It's sporty, fun to drive, and we get complimented on it all the time. I love the way it hugs the road, the steering is tight but not ornery and the the interior styling is upscale. I'm not crazy about the bucket seats, a little uncomfortable for wider hips on long drives, and is low to the ground to achieve its sporty handling which can be a little effort to get in and out of with a baby, but overall this car is a 10."

incredible value, + enviro, great drive

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pros: "incredible value, responsive handling, nice design"

Cons: "womens ergonomics and ease of exit"

"This is one of the best deals out there. I ALWAYS get 40mpg and can get 50 if I try. I love the pickup and handling, space, etc. The amount I have spent on maintenance in total is less than two regular services on my old subaru. The engine will last forever. I only have three minor complaints. The seats are low and the car is hard to get out of, esp on a hill so I wouldn't recommend for those with limited mobility. Most car manufacturers don't have seat ergonomics that fit women very well. This car does fit much better than others on the market, but could use a couple more adjustable inches in the steering wheel and the headrests push too far forward. The only mechanical issue I have is that the auto transmission has failed to engage twice when I wanted to pull out of a steep driveway and the car's been cold. The mechanics at the dealer say its an auto transmission built on top of a manual one so every now and then there is a burp. The dealership has been great. I LOVE the 120v outlet in the car--it's great for roadtrips."

First VW Not disappointed

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pros: "Styling, comfort on long drives, large cargo area"

Cons: "Cost of routine maintenance after warranty"

"Bought this '09 Jetta SE 2.5 "Black on Tan" New on July 23rd 2009 "Build date is May 20th 2009" And have loved every day of it. Great for road trips with lots of cargo room, Even more than the Tiguan. LOL.. We originally went to buy a Tiguan but then found out since it has the 2.0t Engine it must run premium unleaded gas and it has less cargo area than the Jetta. We have since added a '12 Touareg TDI to the family for the SUV needs but that's another story. This car has been Amazing though. Taken it cross country from coast to coast with zero problems. Only thing is once the carefree maintenance runs out it can get very expensive for routine maintenance. As with any German car. The car has also held up amazingly well in the 120°F Las Vegas Summers. Cant say that about a few Hondas I have owned. :/ If your thinking about buying this car get it as a Certified Pre Owned from a Real VW Dealer. I think they throw in a 25k warranty on their pre owned cars."

loveitloveitloveit

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

"Comfortable, zippy and fun to drive in the mountains. Mileage is outstanding. My only complaint is the bumpers are so low to the ground it leads to scrapes in parking lots."

This is an amazing little car.

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Handles great! Gas mileage is awesome. Sturdy."

Cons: "weird electrical things go on but I bought it used"

"My 2007 is more fun and easier to drive than my new 2011 Jeep Compass, (though the compass is great!) Handles very well through the windy roads in Bodega Bay and gets about 270 miles on a full tank around town and 300 freeway. I believe the tank is around 12 gallons (??). I bought this car used and it was a rental car in it's previous life. There is a weird electrical thing that goes on at times with it; hard to explain but it has to do with the lights going on after disarming the alarm. Sometimes the lights go on when you open the door, and sometimes they don't. I am sure it's from some sort of abuse the rental car life had on it and it's not major so it doesn't really bother me. The 2.5 5 cylinder engine really has some great "get up and go". Jumping on the freeway is never an issue. The Jetta gets right up to speed to merge without any argument."

We love this car!

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "comfy, fun to drive, safe, economical"

Cons: "not enough cup holders or CD storage"

"We traded in an old GM sedan for the Diesel Jetta Sports Wagen. I have never been happier with a car in my life! The car is comfortable. It handles beautifully and brakes in less distance than any car I've ever owned. We do a lot of highway driving, even in New England winters, and feel very confident in this car's safety. The best part is that it gets 40 mpg on the highway. We fill up half as often as we used to, which more than makes up for the higher per gallon cost of the Diesel fuel. It is easy to find Diesel in the Boston Metro area and, of course, along the highways. The interior is well-appointed. The rear seat can be reconfigured in various ways to accommodate furniture, 6-foot planks, and the like. I love the sliding sun roof and the excellent sound system. The car has an amazingly small turning radius for its length. What's not so great about it: some minor details. The hands-free bluetooth cell phone interface doesn't have all the features we expected; you can receive a call without touching the cell phone, but you need to at least activate voice control on the phone"

Best Bang For My Buck

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Who said you can't get Price, Quality and Mileage?"

Cons: "2012 fully decked out Passat (US made) is cheaper"

"It's been two years since I bought this car and I'm still in love with it. Most of my friends raised an eyebrow when I told them I got a station wagon... that is, till they sat in it and felt its powerful torque. PERFORMANCE: Driving is crisp, it handles very well and translates anything the front wheels get in touch with to the steering wheel. Acceleration is powerful, considering the price you pay. Drove a MB C300 for eight months prior to this car, and I have to honestly say that I like the VW better: the nature of the 4-cylinder engine makes it more responsive, it downshifts faster, and accelerates just as fast. The 6-speed DSG is amazingly smooth, though it can get confused at times, especially when driving very slow (like in parking lots, or stop and go traffic)-sometimes jumping around 1st and 2nd. I never had a single gap that I wasn't able to shoot into when passing on highway speeds. The car runs soft and very comfortable. Where I'm from (TX), Diesel costs more than Premium, but the mileage is excellent and totally worth the upped price in gas and the trim (TDI). INTERIOR: The interior is nice and very well engineered. The seats give just enough lumbar support and on long drives, my bladder gives out way before my back hurts or needs re-positioning. Great comfort! Have a toddler seat in the back, and as a 6-foot tall driver, my boys feet can touch/push against the back of my seat. Doesn't bother me, and my friends claim its way more comfy in the back than in many other cars they rode in. The dash and on-board computer are very simple to use, and there's great view lines all throughout the car. Blind spots are very minimal. I love how I can get my own mix on where the air from A/C flows: most cars have fixed settings where you can pick between a)all air through dash vent, b)all air through windshield vent, c)all air into where your feet are, or d) a mix between dash vent and feet vent. This car you can use a dial to mix your own ratio of air between front/windshield, or front/feet, or feet/windshield. Storage is amazing! I honestly don't know why people would go for the more expensive Tiguan that gets lesser mileage and has lesser storage!! This car just has it all. COMPLAINTS (just coz I have to be honest) There are times on the highway when it's windy when I wish the inside driving noise was a little lower. But, when I start hearing that wind, I turn the volume up just one or two notches and its taken care of. It would be nice to have one more cigarette lighter power outlet. There's only two available: one in-dash, and another in the cargo in the back. Maybe add one in the center console under armrest? Though the 110v outlet for a regular plug does more than make up for it. On VERY hot Texas summer days (100F ), the car does get a little hot, especially with only a cloth covering the full roof length sun-roof (or moon-roof? I never know the difference). A "as-dark-as-legally-possible" window tint pretty much fixed that for me though."

Exceeded expectations

By on Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pros: "Great car, very fast acceleration with TDI"

Cons: "nothing worth mentioning"

"This car feels like a much more expensive car based on looks and performance. The Turbo Diesel engine makes this essentially a performance car. You have to be careful when at a full stop that you don't lay on the accelerator too hard or you will chirp the tires. Great handling, interior is perfect, and the trunk... wow can you get a lot of junk, I mean stuff, in the sedan trunk. A family of four can pack all they need for long road trips without a problem... no mini-van needed. Mileage, the big question, is usually around 40 MPG for hilly 70 mph commutes, but road trips on relatively flat roads has been 48-49 MPG. Cons: not much... the usual irritating loss of air in aluminum rims (not unique) and no warning when you leave the sun / moon roof open... again not unique. Snow performance with good snow tires has been GREAT in winters, which was our major worry after owning a vehicle with All Wheel Drive. Super car that feels like a sports car, but works for a family of four."

I liked my car, until it died...

By on Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"I loved my Jetta. It was fun to drive, comfortable and got decent mileage. Then it started having problems around 100k miles. In a span of 2 years I've had to replaced tires, power steering pump, fuel pump, water pump, brakes, and struts. Last week at 118k miles, by main body wire harness inexplicably shorted. The "gain controller" essentially melted. Every dealer I talk to says that it will be over $7500 to replace/repair. Good bye Jetta. I'm moving to a brand that has cheaper repairs."

GreaT CAR!!

By on Thursday, May 20, 2010

"TDI 2006: I would recomend this car to anyone who needs a good dependable and fuel effient car! The car gets around 42-46 MPG city/highway AVG...I have had no problems at all..GREAT CAR, I now have 71,000 mile on it and have only changed the oil, tires/brakes onces."

Maintenance cost are very high

By on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"I have had to replace all four tires once and the rear brakes twice and it is just now about to cross 36,000 miles. They replaced the brakes the first time under warranty and claimed to have fixed a problem. Then I got fewer miles on the second set and had to pay for that repair. I got no satisfaction from the VW regional customer service manager when I claimed that the vehicle is flawed. This was my first(and last) VW."

WOW We can V-dub

By on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"I have had the GLI Fahrenheit ed yellow ride for a week now and im still saying wow. I love the way it drives. Totally the quickest car I have ever owned. The sportiest thing too. I cant wait to go back and pick one out in red for the wife who loves it too. Plenty of room through out and comfortable. I love the gas mileage around 25 in town. The kids are in love w it to. They call the car bumble b. German engineering rules. Driver found!!"

my 4th!

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

"My 4th Jetta TDI, like the 3 before it, does not fail to deliver! Quality is evident in all aspects. Reliability is assumed. Performance is further enhanced with the revised version of the power plant. Economy continues to improve with 45 mpg in highway driving. To my mind, a hybrid vehicle with 2 engines doesn't compare!"

'08 Wolfsburg Ed rocks

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"Bought new loaded Wolfsburg Ed end of Feb and have been very happy w/transmission and electrical system. Formerly owned new '03 Jetta and '04.5 special edition New Beetle and the 1.8T engine build was responsive, but had many buggy issues, mainly w/the electrical system (such as seat heater thermostat control which would burn a piece of paper (hey - that can ignite your clothes on fire!), blown fuses, dash light (brake sensor and check engine) issues, non-impact side mirror and driver's side window falling out. The 200 h.p. German engine build on the 2.5 litre New Jetta has none of its predecessors issues. Plus, it has nicer creature comforts, and more safety features. Pros: Responsive pickup, smooth braking and excellent turning radius, self-correcting steering to 6 degrees, ESC, good climate control, leather seats, and 60/40 pass-thru w/ski insert; great trunk room, a back seat that will actually hold 3 people comfortably. Cons: Premium gas. I do get @ 21 mpg combined. No electronic starter or built-in garage remote sensor. No automatic climate control, nor Bluetooth. Road noise in cabin could be further reduced."

excellent for the money

By on Sunday, October 05, 2008

"I bought the Jetta after a year of researching similar vehicles in it's class and price range. I was looking at the Hyundai Sonata and Elantra, Ford Fusion and Focus, and Nissan Sentra. The Jetta blew them all the away. It comes standard with so many amenities and safety features and the price ended up being less than the competition on the dealer lot. The car is so intuitive and comfortable to drive. I love the 5 speed, shifting is effortless and just plain fun. I wanted a base Jetta, but since the Wolfsburg was the only one available, I found that for the price difference with all of the things I would get in return, it was still a bargain. The heated seats are a must in the winter- I didn't need them, but I love them. The moon roof is also a great way to get fresh air but cut down on road noise. Others have said the engine is loud and odd sounding, which is true if your are not used to a VW, but you get used to it. The brakes squeak when it's cold, which made me nervous, but after having them inspected at the dealer and speaking to other Jetta owners I've discovered this is normal. The car is very torquie, which for me is a must. I would have liked more horse power, but the torque really makes up for it. Overall this car is stylish, safe, comfortable, and most of all fun. I highly recommend it. Now that I've driven a VW, I may never go back to anything else."

i love my jetta

By on Monday, October 29, 2007

"i have had my jetta for 2 years. i have had no major problems. at 15000 miles i had to have the brakes replaced and an allignment. and i beleive there is something wrong with the transmission, it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd (cars an automatic), but they keep telling me its fine. over all i love my car and would not trade it for anything shy of a 2008 benz."

Love My Jetta!

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"I feel that I got a great value for my dollar with my 06 Volkswagen Jetta. I highly recommend the Jetta when looking at 4 door Sedans. In comparison to other vehicles, I was able to get more features for the money I spent. The styling is second to none. I feel like I am in a luxury vehicle with features like automatic windshield wipers, "homelink", power seats, heated seats, automatic climate control, XM radio. It is great on both long and short dirves and handles great. The "new" body style is much roomier than the earlier models as well and can sit 4 adults comfortably."