2006 Volkswagen Jetta

Based on 981 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Beware over 80,000 miles

By on Saturday, September 13, 2014

Pros: "Tight steering, sunroof"

Cons: "Engine trouble, little things that don't work"

"Bought new. Car had few problems in the beginning other than some small things (and a small engine problem that was repaired under warranty). Then, all went downhill. First, the hatchback would not open. Ended up spending $1000 to replace locking feature. The back doors don't lock, which we chose not to replace because that would have cost about $500 to diagnose and replace. At approximately 100k miles, replaced some sort of emmision flaps ($2000). Then the whopper.... Balance shaft assembly ($3000). We maintain our cars at the dealership and this has put me over the edge. We bought the car for the tdi and have been very disappointed. Buyer beware... There are only a handful of mechanics that will even touch the tdi and then they charge a ton. Love the sunroof and it does get better gas mileage than most, but we never got the 50 mpg advertised."

Great Car!

By on Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, comfortable, dsg transmission"

Cons: "no MFSW, no bluetooth,"

"If you are looking for a sedan that's sporty like a GTI but still practical, here's where you need to be. This 2008 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition has been great to me. I haven't had very many problems with the car, the only issue was one thing a couple years back, with less than thirty days after buying the car so it was warrantied, but I can't recall what it was. The suspension is not sporty, it is very comfortable - even though it has the sporty engine, the same one that comes in the 2008+ GTI and GLI, the ever so reliable 2.0TSI (which I adore). The DSG shifts like butter. It's great. The steering wheel is responsive and easy to turn. It's stylish and bubbly. The only thing I really wish this car had was more convenience. Since it's still a "Jetta" not a GLI or GTI it didn't come with steering wheel functions, or even the little menu on the dash they have that tells you your fuel consumption and miles until your tank is empty. Though I didn't keep track of the MPGs I got while driving, I usually averaged about 350 miles per tank, or 375+ when only highway driving. All-around great car."

TDI is a great car for long-distance driving

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficiency and driving comfort"

Cons: "Fuel availability. VW does not recommend bio fuel"

"The TDI desiel is very efficient. The average mileage we expect is 46 and that has stayed consistent over the life of the car. The cost differental for fuel becomes a non-issue with this mpg. The car is very comfortable for long-distance driving. With the fold-down rear seat there is considerable capacity for alomost any trip. Our travel is usually just two passengers. This acr will not be great for a family. We use it as our primary car year-round but do most of our travel in warm weather. It handles well in bad weather. Fuel is becoming increasingly available, but remains a question in some parts of the country. Fuel avaialblity is the only real question if I decide to replace it in the future."

Summary of Experience

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2014

"A few excellent features (handling, cruise control, lights) Mostly average features, and a few very annoying features (disappointing gas mileage, difficult to read controls, very annoying door locks)"

Love my VW

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

"My second TDI Jetta. Fuel economy 42 to 50. Overall thousands of miles 43.9. Great quality and comfort, with a surprisingly large trunk! Not one problem in 4 yrs, follow the service manual with dealership service. Moved into our subdivision 10 yrs. ago and 5 neighbors now drive VW's, due to my advertising! Next VW will be a Passat with the TDI as rear leg room on the Jetta is snug unless the front seats are moved fairly forward."

This has been a very good car with some exception.

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "Nice car to drive, reliable mechanically."

Cons: "Poor Interior quality."

"Mechanically this has been a very good car. The interior quality is the thing most lacking on this car. The dash has peeled again after having been replaced under warranty. The headliner has come totally loose, and subsequent investigation reveals this is a common problem with 2004-2006 VW Jetta'S. VW has not issued a recall and is not likely to despite consumer complaints."

Very good to drive locally or on highway

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "Great to drive"

Cons: "Moon roof creates excessive noise when fully open"

"The car is very enjoyable to drive. Average gas mileage. Excellent acceleration from stop and during drive"

Excellent car. Seven years, no problems.

By on Friday, August 29, 2014

"The TDI is one of the best cars I have ever owned. Mileage is fantastic, over 50 mpg, cruising at 70-75. Over 40 mpg around town. Very quiet and comfortable. Slightly underpowered but cruises at hiway speeds easily."

I have had the car appraised at car max

By on Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pros: "Great mileage"

"I have had the car appraised at car max who gave every category they checked a good standing. The car has brand new tires with a transferrable warranty. I have had one other dealership trade in quote which was better than car max and I have a person interested in buying it. The car is in gret shape. I am selling due to a change in my life where I need a different car. I've loved this car and have been the only owner. i certainly will miss the great diesel mileage. One tank gets me from Nashville to Mobile."

4 years later, still drives like the first day

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, quality, insane fuel economy"

Cons: "no reason to buy a new car?"

"By far, best car I have ever purchased. Only service has been oil, wipers and tires. Parents bought 1 year later because they loved mine so much. They also have never had a problem. Just change your oil and fuel filter regularly, and you will never see a check engine light. 50+ miles/gallon? Yep. Compliments from strangers on such a nice looking car while pumping diesel into it? Yep. Quite the conversation starter."