2005 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1489 Ratings for the 2000 - 2005 models.

Great fuel economy and fun to drive!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "40 mpg average, great pickup"

"I'm the second owner of this car, buying it from a dealer when it was 2 years old and in excellent condition. This is the second Jetta TDI for me. Mostly I use this car for myself, in town and highway driving with almost no maintenance. It needed a timing belt at 100,000 miles (this is standard service for a diesel) and one of the battery cables went bad. I've had the oil changed every 10,000 miles using full synthetic oil. The only minor complaint I have is that the back seat is a bit small, but this car will accommodate 5 average sized people without any trouble. I love the moon roof with the option of flipping up or sliding it open. Using the key to open or close all the windows at once is fun to use. I like that I can do minor things, like replacing the lights, myself. This is a wonderful car to own, and I usually fill up every one and a half to two weeks. It's been a great car for me since 2007."

Love my VW

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Im onto my second VW Jetta now and have loved both of them so far! My 2000 Jetta is always there for me and hasnt let me down, love the style of it. Interior is comfortable for those long rides especially with the heated cloth seats."

I love my Jetta so much I named him Bob!

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, safe, economic gas mileage, RELIABLE"

Cons: "Plastic interior gets brittle and break with age"

"I've had this car since I was 18. Learned to drive in it. Incredible gas mileage, safe as can be. I was t-boned by a Chevy Avalanche in it and walked away with nothing but a bruised knee. It's a great size for a small family or just a single person. Long distance travelling is great since you don't worry about fueling up constantly. Just be sure to find a mechanic who knows and loves VW's, because being German and diesel it can get pricey when going through the upkeep that comes with a car."

Dealer maintenance costs will TORTURE you!

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "Fuel Milage, diesel runs forever."

Cons: "OUTRAGEOUS MAINTENANCE COSTS!"

"I love VW diesels. Great fuel milage and they run forever, this is my third Jetta TDI. But unless you are going to do your own maintenance be prepared to empty your wallet for service at the dealer. The timing belt needs to be changed every 100K miles, the dealer quoted $1200 for that. (I did my own for $250). I had to replace the entire rack and pinion steering assembly just because a $10 steering fluid tube that connects to the rack housing could NOT be purchased without buying the whole rack"

absolutely love it compares to my bmw

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "high quality with German performance"

Cons: "small interior for a big person"

"I have owned this car since new and passed it to my 20 something daughter who uses it to commute on one of the most heavily traveled highways in the US. This car is a pleasure to drive! German engineering in a big 6 cylinder gives it responsiveness, tightness and a good feel for the road. It can be trusted to accelerate when necessary and stop on a dime. Maintenance has been low for high mileage. It is a workhorse that is safe and sexy. I returned to bmw's as my car of choice but this little sweetheart stole my heart! I love getting back into it every time I can. The blue dash lights and courtesy lights at night, the leather, the pleasing esthetics and design all give me such delight."