2005 Volkswagen Jetta

7.5

Based on 1485 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Good car for the initial investment

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "Initial cost, MPG, durability"

Cons: "Repair costs, electrical system"

"Bought my 2002 Jetta from Carmax at a good price in 2006. The car had 30,000. It's been mostly reliable but has had many of the same issues that other owners have described; catalytic converter, coil wire, windows falling down ($415.00 to replace 1 regulator) & a finicky alarm system that seems to have a mind of it's own. Overall I'm happy with the car but unsure if I'd buy another one."

Excellent dependability and fun

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, cheap to operate"

Cons: "looks like grandma's car"

"Have 280K and climbing, never had any functional problems, sure change a seat heat sw and do scheduled maintenance but it's an 2003. Power train is sound, I just change the oil every 15k, and run #2 (no bio or tree hugger stuff) I like the stogy exterior design, never turns heads like rice rockets hence no tickets!"

some positive some negative

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "cool car, smooth ride"

Cons: "lots of repairs"

"I've had this car for 6 years. Positives -Smooth ride -Good looking car -good visibility from inside the car Negatives -My car burns oil like no other. If I drive frequently, I need to add oil to the car about 3 times per week.... -I am at 72k miles and nearly every part of the car has broken. -Not having automatic windows and mirrors is a pain for numerous reasons. If I had't had so many mechanical issues with this car I would give it a very positive review, but all of the repairs I have paid for this year have cost me more than the total current value of the car.."

The TDI makes it the best car ever

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Fantastic fuel mileage, fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "Cheap plastic pieces all break and need replacing"

"I bought this car new in October of 2000. It now has 195,000 miles on it and is still going strong. Trip to Oregon and back a couple weeks ago netted exactly 52 MPG at somewhat aggressive freeway speeds (manual). The only issue I have is that I need to get a new car for carrying capacity reasons and just can't seem to give this car up. It will be going on to one of my sons, so it will at least be staying in the family. I fully expect that it could go another 200K miles."

Best Car Ever!

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Reason: needed a bigger car

Pros: "gas mielage, front wheel drive, reliability,"

Cons: "front cup holders broke easily"

"This was the second card I owned. I bought my Jetta when I turned 19 and owned throughout my 20's. This car was great on gas mileage and required very little maintenance. Living in Colorado during the winter can be tough without 4WD or AWD, but the Jetta ended up doing really well due to it being a heavier car and Front wheel drive. I would recommend this car for anyone. I really beat it up as teenager and it lived and flourished throughout my mid and late 20's, best purchase ever!!"

3 jETTA S LATER AND STILL GETTING ANOTHER

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "I have loved driving my bright red sporty car"

Cons: "My tape deck quit 4 years ago cd quit last wk."

"i Have owned my present Jetta for 10 years, it was a lease car and had 47,000 when i got it. It has gone over the 250,000 goal I had set to get from it. The condition is still in full driving order with some rust on the trunk area only. I am purchasing another leased Jetta with fewer miles but 6 years old in very good shape, and expect to drive it another 10 years."

Bets car I have owned YET!!

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Very drivable, quick, fun, comfy, and good MPG"

Cons: "Coil packs go out, and 3rd gear is a weak point"

On one of our show trips

"I would recomend the 2003 Jetta GLI 24 valve VR6 6 speed to any one from a first time buyer, to a seasoned gear head who likes to moddify their car. From stock to as it sits today this car has given me limited issues, and is extremely reliable. Gas milage is great for a mid size 6 cyl. 200 base/ engine HP is more than enough for fun or trouble, and with basic mods this car should not be ignored as a fantastic daily driver. With a cold air intake kit and cat back exhaust system this car sounds fantasic, and is a real dream to drive. And with the 14.5 gal tank I see 390 to 406 miles to the tank on long drives. The only really bad thigs with this car when buying used are the coil packs, they tend to go out and need replacing with out warning. And 3rd gear in th 02M 6 speed transmission seems to take the most abuse, and would be the chinc in the armor there. Other than that those are the only "bad" points I can think of. I would give this car a 8.5 to 9 out of 10."

On one of our show trips

Love my VW

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Im onto my second VW Jetta now and have loved both of them so far! My 2000 Jetta is always there for me and hasnt let me down, love the style of it. Interior is comfortable for those long rides especially with the heated cloth seats."

Good engine, cheap interior

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

"This car gets great fuel mileage, average 40 mpg. The diesel has plenty of power. However, at 130,000 miles, the car is falling apart, and the interior has been in bad shape since 80,000. The engine and transmission are fine, however, all the supporting equipment around them are starting to/have broken. AC is out, passenger power window is out, plastic in interior is cracked and broken around the shifter, broken glove box latch, broken center console latch, plastic coating on dash is sticky, broken seat belt latch cover. Parts are super expensive and you must use factory VW OEM parts or German made aftermarket parts such as Bosch. Several of the parts under the hood are made out of plastic instead of metal to save weight, but they do not last as long. In particular is a 3 way coolant hose flange that is made of plastic, which gets very hot and cracks over time. Preventative maintenance must be done, especially because of the timing belt and timing issues with there cars. Waiting until a part breaks on these cars can cause more damage. In summary, great engine and transmission, but the interior is junk and plasticky. Parts are expensive."

Dealer maintenance costs will TORTURE you!

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "Fuel Milage, diesel runs forever."

Cons: "OUTRAGEOUS MAINTENANCE COSTS!"

"I love VW diesels. Great fuel milage and they run forever, this is my third Jetta TDI. But unless you are going to do your own maintenance be prepared to empty your wallet for service at the dealer. The timing belt needs to be changed every 100K miles, the dealer quoted $1200 for that. (I did my own for $250). I had to replace the entire rack and pinion steering assembly just because a $10 steering fluid tube that connects to the rack housing could NOT be purchased without buying the whole rack"

I love my Jetta so much I named him Bob!

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, safe, economic gas mileage, RELIABLE"

Cons: "Plastic interior gets brittle and break with age"

"I've had this car since I was 18. Learned to drive in it. Incredible gas mileage, safe as can be. I was t-boned by a Chevy Avalanche in it and walked away with nothing but a bruised knee. It's a great size for a small family or just a single person. Long distance travelling is great since you don't worry about fueling up constantly. Just be sure to find a mechanic who knows and loves VW's, because being German and diesel it can get pricey when going through the upkeep that comes with a car."

my jetta made me broke

By on Saturday, March 13, 2010

"VW are suppose to have a reputation of dependable efficient cars; this may be the case with others, but I regret the day that I bought my Jetta 1.8t. Since the purchase 5 years ago, I have replace the engine, the turbo, thermometer, and numerous sensors. On average every 2 months I am taking my car to the shop. The repair bills became so common that at times I had no other option but to forgo my car note and use that money for repairs. I don't drive excessively, just to work, the store, chruch, and school; all which are in a 10 mile radius of my residence. I would NOT suggest a VW to anyone, unless you have a spare car that can be used while your potential VW is in the shop. My spare car, an 86 Grand Prix is more reliable than my 01 Jetta, thats sad for VW"

Worst Car Ever!

By on Tuesday, May 05, 2009

"I have basically had to replace every part of this car. I have spent $8,500 in repairs in the last two years, replacing the transmission, water pump, gas tank, axel, and so on. I have paid almost as much in repairs as I owe on the car."

money pit

By on Monday, April 21, 2008

"I had my jetta for three weeks before the motor blew up going down the road and left me stranded. After a very expensive overhaul it was up and going again in a month and a half. Then the tranny began to have problems shifting and staying in gears. We ended up having to put a 4500 dollar new tranny in it after reverse went out completly. Now that we have it back again we recently found out that the turbo is leaking oil into the motor and now we have to put another 2000 into a new turbo. before we can begin driving it again. keep in mind that all of this has happened within a nine month period."

Great fuel economy and fun to drive!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "40 mpg average, great pickup"

"I'm the second owner of this car, buying it from a dealer when it was 2 years old and in excellent condition. This is the second Jetta TDI for me. Mostly I use this car for myself, in town and highway driving with almost no maintenance. It needed a timing belt at 100,000 miles (this is standard service for a diesel) and one of the battery cables went bad. I've had the oil changed every 10,000 miles using full synthetic oil. The only minor complaint I have is that the back seat is a bit small, but this car will accommodate 5 average sized people without any trouble. I love the moon roof with the option of flipping up or sliding it open. Using the key to open or close all the windows at once is fun to use. I like that I can do minor things, like replacing the lights, myself. This is a wonderful car to own, and I usually fill up every one and a half to two weeks. It's been a great car for me since 2007."

I wanted a Jetta for over 10 Years!

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Great Handling, Great Reliability, Great Price"

Cons: "No backseat cupholders, Little Console room"

"My roommate had a New Jetta every year she went home for the holidays. I drove hers often. The last model she owed was the TDI and was impressed by Gas Mileage, comfort, and handling of the vehicle. I finally purchased the Jetta GLS Sedan 2 years ago. I took it to mechanic before purchasing and had very few issues, which the used dealer fixed after the checkout. I was also told that around 100,000 miles, a very costly part needed to be replaced. It's still running without replacement. There is only 1 VW dealership where I live, and had to go to them to get antifreeze that was low due to the type used in VW, it's the only place to get it. I bought this car used, as it was affordable, in great condition with nearly 100,000 miles on it. It's a Manual transmission, easy to drive, however, I recommend using a Bluetooth if you plan on talking on the phone. It has a large gas tank, I believe 15-17 gallons, and my in town mileage is not great. I can go about 400 miles to a tank of gas. I would have anticipated better mileage on a 4 cylinder 5 speed. However, overall the HANDLING of this model is tremendous! I just recently realized that I need new tires due to minor slipping on wet roads from a complete stop. I've not any issues with slipping or sliding in rain or ice for 2 years. The second vehicle in the house, much newer and more costly, slides on damp pavement, with new tires, giving me more appreciation for the design, handling, and feeling of safety that my Jetta provides me and my family. It's a wonderful vehicle, and hope that it stays in my family for many more years!"

Peppy, Reliable, and FUN.

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage"

Cons: "Interior, cheap plastic"

"When I purchased this car, I was kind of worried about the electrical issues on the older VW's. But this one I have never once had anything go wrong. Just one sensor and the catalytic converter. Cheap fixes. One thing I would reccomend is getting one with alloy wheels, not hubcaps. They fall off too easily. And the tan interior shows dirt REALLY bad."

Great except for costly, constant repairs

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "cheap to start with, stylish, comfortable"

Cons: "REPAIRS! Interior is a little cramped"

"I LOVE my Diesel Jetta. Oh yeah, except for having to replace the fuel pump, the turbocharger (twice), the transmission, and the emissions system. I love the fuel mileage, but any savings I ever had in fuel have been eaten up with costly repairs. Volkwagen has proprietary parts, so there is no alternative to going for their expensive parts. I have had factory recommended maintenance from the dealer, but I have still had repair after repair. I have truly enjoyed the ride, the style, and the fuel economy, but I cannot recommend this car, and I will not buy a Volkswagen again."

absolutely love it compares to my bmw

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "high quality with German performance"

Cons: "small interior for a big person"

"I have owned this car since new and passed it to my 20 something daughter who uses it to commute on one of the most heavily traveled highways in the US. This car is a pleasure to drive! German engineering in a big 6 cylinder gives it responsiveness, tightness and a good feel for the road. It can be trusted to accelerate when necessary and stop on a dime. Maintenance has been low for high mileage. It is a workhorse that is safe and sexy. I returned to bmw's as my car of choice but this little sweetheart stole my heart! I love getting back into it every time I can. The blue dash lights and courtesy lights at night, the leather, the pleasing esthetics and design all give me such delight."

Amazing car

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pros: "Amazing value and performance, reliability."

Cons: "Qualified mechanics can be hard to find."

"My Jetta is a 2003 TDI with just over 250K on the odometer. Bought it very lightly used 6-1/2 years ago. It still gets 45 mpg day in and day out, driving about 700 miles a week. After I had put 120000 more miles on it, a nearby dealer made an offer to buy it for what I had paid for it. This is my second VW diesel--the first was a 1979 Rabbit that I drove for about 11 years. These are great cars."

Many repeat repairs

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "repeat repairs"

"Drives great when the CEL is not. Road handling is excellent. Many problems that have been repeatedly fixed and continue to be a problem."

terrible trans

By on Friday, October 09, 2009

"Worst puchase ever. I've owned it for 5 months and for 7 weeks of those 5 months it has been in the garage. Transmission jerks hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd. They can't seem to fix the problem. Look up 2004 transmission problems before purchasing one of these nightmares!!!!!"

Fun driver

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"I bought my 2000 GLX new in Feb. 2000 and have logged 82,000 miles. Car is well-maintained and has always been serviced by the dealership. I've never owned a better driving car. Consistently get 26-27 mpg on the highway and 16-20 around town depending on density of traffic and stop and go. Switched from premium to mid-grade when gas went over $2.50/gal with no noticable difference in mileage or performance. With a VR6 engine it scats like a cat. Wheels will chirp if you aren't careful when taking off from a stop. Engine and automatic trans. are well matched to the weight of the car. The list of standard equipment is impressive. The anti-lock breaks perform well even in a panic situation. The rain-sensitive wipers are cool as is the self-dimming mirror. I love the right side mirror that tilts downward to view the curb when parallel parking. The heated, electrically operated front seats provide excellent lumbar support. With the adjustable steering column it's impossible not to find a comfortable driving position unless your unusually tall. Mechanically the engine has been terrific but I've had more problems with the coolant and pollution control systems than I would have expected. I replaced the rear brakes and original tires at 60,000 miles. Front pads are still serviceable - checked at every service. Love the Monsoon sound, the well-tailored leather interior and the fit and quality of every component. Car has always been garaged and the Atlantic Blue clearcoat finish still looks new thanks to Mother's Carnauba wax. I would recommend a Jetta VR6 to anyone looking for a car that won't give you a lot of engine headaches. The greater dependability over the 4 cylinder is worth the slight mileage penalty. I wanted a car that wasn't going to grow old on me quickly and I got exactly what I was hoping for."

Best vheicle ever

By on Saturday, July 18, 2009

"I bought an 03 VW Jetta GLI in 04 and it has been the best vehicle that I have ever invested money in!! I got the VR6 6 speed manual and I have not had any problems with the car and it now has 91k on it. I have only had to replace the tires twice because the low profiles do not last that long(and yes they are expensive) but the maintenance alone on these vehicles can be very expensive but you have a great car. I have driven this car for 5 years so two sets of tires versus repair bills I would have from driving a different car do not even compare. I think this was the best investment and if you are looking for a great car buy the Jetta(just make sure it is not a 4cyl or turbo) they tend to have problems but the VR6 is the best engine although hard to find now. I will drive this car until it does not drive anymore!!!!"

great mpg

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I have had the car a couple of years now bought it used with 51K on it. It is a 2004 Jetta GL wagon TDI. Ihave taken it on many trips and got 49.8 MPG avg. I did put in a K&N air filter it gave me 2 to 3 MPG. I only use the VW 50501 oil and the oil stays clean. I now have 100,000 miles on it and the only repair I had to make was a timing belt and water pump only because it was recommended by VW at 80,000 miles. By doing it before it goes out saved me $2500 in repair of damage it would have caused to the motor if I had waited until it went out. I did the work myself and it cost about $400. Overall the car is great and very dependable best MPG of any car I ever owned and performance is not bad either very peppy. I would definitely buy another one."