2005 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1478 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Great fuel economy and fun to drive!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "40 mpg average, great pickup"

"I'm the second owner of this car, buying it from a dealer when it was 2 years old and in excellent condition. This is the second Jetta TDI for me. Mostly I use this car for myself, in town and highway driving with almost no maintenance. It needed a timing belt at 100,000 miles (this is standard service for a diesel) and one of the battery cables went bad. I've had the oil changed every 10,000 miles using full synthetic oil. The only minor complaint I have is that the back seat is a bit small, but this car will accommodate 5 average sized people without any trouble. I love the moon roof with the option of flipping up or sliding it open. Using the key to open or close all the windows at once is fun to use. I like that I can do minor things, like replacing the lights, myself. This is a wonderful car to own, and I usually fill up every one and a half to two weeks. It's been a great car for me since 2007."

I wanted a Jetta for over 10 Years!

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Great Handling, Great Reliability, Great Price"

Cons: "No backseat cupholders, Little Console room"

"My roommate had a New Jetta every year she went home for the holidays. I drove hers often. The last model she owed was the TDI and was impressed by Gas Mileage, comfort, and handling of the vehicle. I finally purchased the Jetta GLS Sedan 2 years ago. I took it to mechanic before purchasing and had very few issues, which the used dealer fixed after the checkout. I was also told that around 100,000 miles, a very costly part needed to be replaced. It's still running without replacement. There is only 1 VW dealership where I live, and had to go to them to get antifreeze that was low due to the type used in VW, it's the only place to get it. I bought this car used, as it was affordable, in great condition with nearly 100,000 miles on it. It's a Manual transmission, easy to drive, however, I recommend using a Bluetooth if you plan on talking on the phone. It has a large gas tank, I believe 15-17 gallons, and my in town mileage is not great. I can go about 400 miles to a tank of gas. I would have anticipated better mileage on a 4 cylinder 5 speed. However, overall the HANDLING of this model is tremendous! I just recently realized that I need new tires due to minor slipping on wet roads from a complete stop. I've not any issues with slipping or sliding in rain or ice for 2 years. The second vehicle in the house, much newer and more costly, slides on damp pavement, with new tires, giving me more appreciation for the design, handling, and feeling of safety that my Jetta provides me and my family. It's a wonderful vehicle, and hope that it stays in my family for many more years!"

Peppy, Reliable, and FUN.

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage"

Cons: "Interior, cheap plastic"

"When I purchased this car, I was kind of worried about the electrical issues on the older VW's. But this one I have never once had anything go wrong. Just one sensor and the catalytic converter. Cheap fixes. One thing I would reccomend is getting one with alloy wheels, not hubcaps. They fall off too easily. And the tan interior shows dirt REALLY bad."

Great except for costly, constant repairs

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "cheap to start with, stylish, comfortable"

Cons: "REPAIRS! Interior is a little cramped"

"I LOVE my Diesel Jetta. Oh yeah, except for having to replace the fuel pump, the turbocharger (twice), the transmission, and the emissions system. I love the fuel mileage, but any savings I ever had in fuel have been eaten up with costly repairs. Volkwagen has proprietary parts, so there is no alternative to going for their expensive parts. I have had factory recommended maintenance from the dealer, but I have still had repair after repair. I have truly enjoyed the ride, the style, and the fuel economy, but I cannot recommend this car, and I will not buy a Volkswagen again."

absolutely love it compares to my bmw

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "high quality with German performance"

Cons: "small interior for a big person"

"I have owned this car since new and passed it to my 20 something daughter who uses it to commute on one of the most heavily traveled highways in the US. This car is a pleasure to drive! German engineering in a big 6 cylinder gives it responsiveness, tightness and a good feel for the road. It can be trusted to accelerate when necessary and stop on a dime. Maintenance has been low for high mileage. It is a workhorse that is safe and sexy. I returned to bmw's as my car of choice but this little sweetheart stole my heart! I love getting back into it every time I can. The blue dash lights and courtesy lights at night, the leather, the pleasing esthetics and design all give me such delight."

Amazing car

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pros: "Amazing value and performance, reliability."

Cons: "Qualified mechanics can be hard to find."

"My Jetta is a 2003 TDI with just over 250K on the odometer. Bought it very lightly used 6-1/2 years ago. It still gets 45 mpg day in and day out, driving about 700 miles a week. After I had put 120000 more miles on it, a nearby dealer made an offer to buy it for what I had paid for it. This is my second VW diesel--the first was a 1979 Rabbit that I drove for about 11 years. These are great cars."

Many repeat repairs

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "repeat repairs"

"Drives great when the CEL is not. Road handling is excellent. Many problems that have been repeatedly fixed and continue to be a problem."

terrible trans

By on Friday, October 09, 2009

"Worst puchase ever. I've owned it for 5 months and for 7 weeks of those 5 months it has been in the garage. Transmission jerks hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd. They can't seem to fix the problem. Look up 2004 transmission problems before purchasing one of these nightmares!!!!!"

Fun driver

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"I bought my 2000 GLX new in Feb. 2000 and have logged 82,000 miles. Car is well-maintained and has always been serviced by the dealership. I've never owned a better driving car. Consistently get 26-27 mpg on the highway and 16-20 around town depending on density of traffic and stop and go. Switched from premium to mid-grade when gas went over $2.50/gal with no noticable difference in mileage or performance. With a VR6 engine it scats like a cat. Wheels will chirp if you aren't careful when taking off from a stop. Engine and automatic trans. are well matched to the weight of the car. The list of standard equipment is impressive. The anti-lock breaks perform well even in a panic situation. The rain-sensitive wipers are cool as is the self-dimming mirror. I love the right side mirror that tilts downward to view the curb when parallel parking. The heated, electrically operated front seats provide excellent lumbar support. With the adjustable steering column it's impossible not to find a comfortable driving position unless your unusually tall. Mechanically the engine has been terrific but I've had more problems with the coolant and pollution control systems than I would have expected. I replaced the rear brakes and original tires at 60,000 miles. Front pads are still serviceable - checked at every service. Love the Monsoon sound, the well-tailored leather interior and the fit and quality of every component. Car has always been garaged and the Atlantic Blue clearcoat finish still looks new thanks to Mother's Carnauba wax. I would recommend a Jetta VR6 to anyone looking for a car that won't give you a lot of engine headaches. The greater dependability over the 4 cylinder is worth the slight mileage penalty. I wanted a car that wasn't going to grow old on me quickly and I got exactly what I was hoping for."

Best vheicle ever

By on Saturday, July 18, 2009

"I bought an 03 VW Jetta GLI in 04 and it has been the best vehicle that I have ever invested money in!! I got the VR6 6 speed manual and I have not had any problems with the car and it now has 91k on it. I have only had to replace the tires twice because the low profiles do not last that long(and yes they are expensive) but the maintenance alone on these vehicles can be very expensive but you have a great car. I have driven this car for 5 years so two sets of tires versus repair bills I would have from driving a different car do not even compare. I think this was the best investment and if you are looking for a great car buy the Jetta(just make sure it is not a 4cyl or turbo) they tend to have problems but the VR6 is the best engine although hard to find now. I will drive this car until it does not drive anymore!!!!"

great mpg

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I have had the car a couple of years now bought it used with 51K on it. It is a 2004 Jetta GL wagon TDI. Ihave taken it on many trips and got 49.8 MPG avg. I did put in a K&N air filter it gave me 2 to 3 MPG. I only use the VW 50501 oil and the oil stays clean. I now have 100,000 miles on it and the only repair I had to make was a timing belt and water pump only because it was recommended by VW at 80,000 miles. By doing it before it goes out saved me $2500 in repair of damage it would have caused to the motor if I had waited until it went out. I did the work myself and it cost about $400. Overall the car is great and very dependable best MPG of any car I ever owned and performance is not bad either very peppy. I would definitely buy another one."

Biggest Mistake of My Life

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"Buying my 2002 Jetta quickly became the biggest mistake of my life. I owned a 92 Corolla that was falling apart that was more dependable. In the two years i've owned my Jetta (purchased it in 06) The heated seats have caught fire, the hazard lights have a short which causes them to click non stop like they're on (when they're not), my windshield cracked without being hit (and without bad weather), it has had complete power failure while driving in a major intersection three times, i've had to have the alternator replaced, spark plugs, fans, countless hoses, pumps, and not to mention the battery replaced four times so far. There was also a problem where the car would not shift gears, instead the engine was groan and then the entire car would shake violently (because of a short with the break light). Another time my car refused to shift gears and accelerate causing my car to shake violently while on my way to work. It has been nothing but recalls, problems and stress. I'm paying more money for it than I should have (thanks to the dealership) and on top of that i pump ungodly amounts just to keep it running (which doesnt work because it leaves me sitting in parking lots on a regular basis). It literally breaks down for at least a week every other month, and i've known others with the same jetta that had the same problems. Oh...and the Stereo/Cd Player/Radio just died the month after I got the car. It has power, it is just frozen on one channel and has no volume..it also refuses to play any type of cd or casset."

Fun to drive, but no Peace

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"We bought our 2001 1.8L Turbo, Wolfsburg new. While still making payments we've replaced: the transmission (lifetime warranty on the powertrain - 2001 was last year for this), catalytic converter, every seal several times ~ still cleaning oil off my driveway ~ , water pump, timing chain, alternator, oil pan (somebody somehow stripped the plug so we had to replace the whole thing - $600!), and all other major funtional engine parts have been replaced. If not that then the usual normal oil change and batteries in between dropoffs to the mechanic. It's like we were making double payments until it was paid off, now just a single payment. Numerous recalls - we can't recall them all, and one sits on the table yet again. Think arranging your schedule to drop car off to the dealer or mechanic just about every month. Unfixed items remain: the cup holder in front, clip to the center console, spring on passenger seat that moves it, clip on visor, the upgraded 6 CD changer that intermittently recognizes your CD and is in the trunk (you have to stop the car, get in and out several times to get it to play your CD, from day one) - all kinds of little stuff that eliminates the great gas mileage and joy in the turbo and handling - great when we're not on our way to the mechanic! ... and breaks your budget. Nothing inside has broken for about 6 months, so we're saving our $50's and $100's to get the pesky things fixed...or not. I loved my '87 Jetta, should have kept it. Hear great things still about these Jetta's, but we've had a bad experience and are looking for a different vehicle so hopefully we can go, say, 4 months without seeing our mechanic - you know, for an oil change."

TDI Gas Mileage Rocks!

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"We bought our Jetts TDI in 2000, because of the gas mileage. We average 50 mpg for running around town and my commute. This summer drove to Tennessee and got 60-65 mpg. Problems: Cylinder issues year 4, fixed at dealership first time. Glow plugs year 4, driver's power window broke year 6, husband fixed. Back seat cup holder broke month 6, front cup holder year seven, It was incredibly pesky, but now I miss it, since the car is manual. Dealer said it would be $200 to fix back cup holder, don't want to think what the front cup holder would cost! Lots of room for driver and front passenger, I cannot ride in back without getting car sick. It isn't comfortable unless you are a size zero which will work for my daughter and her friends. LOL. Love the trunk it will fit my massage table plus luggage for 3 women. My husband calls it the bottemless trunk. I did manage to fill it up for camping once. I would buy another, though I think I am going to get the wagon next time and hope for more room in the back seat."

loosing credit

By on Thursday, December 13, 2007

"I owned my 01 Jetta VR6 since 04. I shouldnt argue with the maintenance becuase I purchased this car for such a good price. I love the sportiness, and performance of the VR6. I never had problems with the electrical, but i did put hyperwhite head lights in, that fried my head light harnesses. Some mechanical issues involved ABS recall, belt assembly, and leaking radiator/coolant, which I hear is common upon these models, also replacing misfired cylinders. Also alot of the rubber coating on the door handles and dash chips off. But the main reason to purchase a new vehicle, was when the rear center-support became bent (reason unknown) and balded the inside of the rear tires, which is a structural issue. If looking to purchase, bring it to a trusting mechanic to check the mechanical parts of it. ABS, wear of the belt assembly, radiator and coolant tank for leaks, and of course good tires! Other than that, I really enjoyed that car, and its still going, 160,000 miles plus....."

Warning

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"I bought this car used about three and a half years ago. It ran really well and was fun to drive. Since then, I have had two recalls, my sterio just stopped working, and at times I think the whole thing is just gonna fall apart like in the cartoons. Its true also that you feel like your beating it up all the time. Everything you drive over no matter how slow youre going, the bottom just eats the road. I have kept it up even though it costs an arm and a leg. The oil burns so fast and you really have to remember to check it often. The lights always go out the paint on the door handles and things peels off, and the front vents will fall off if you dont pay attenion and pop them back in. The bumper also can just pop off on the corners. I've also had a terrible time with all the dealerships. They do not know how to treat customers. I had to contact corporate just to get the owners manual that they forgot to give me and wanted to charge me like 90$ for. Also, after about two years they smell like crayons! Everyone I know who has one has said the same. There are positives, they are incredibly safe, the trunk is huge, and its cozy. But I'm sorry to say that I would never recommend this car nor buy another one."

Below expectations

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"Reliability of the vehicle and ability to obtain proper troubleshooting for mechnaical repair is poor."

Favorite Vehicle So Far

By on Monday, July 09, 2007

"This car great Performance and has quality Comfort. Drawbacks are the constant maintenance and price of fixing/replacing parts. Issues are well known and tend to happen to all owners of this vehicle. If you are going to purchase this car, you better have a good, and knowledgeable mechanic."

Have loved this car for 12 years!

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pros: "very fun to drive, very low cost to own."

Cons: "no bluetooth or navigation"

"This is a great car. Our family has 2 Jetta TDI's. I might just get another one...newer!"

Luv My Jetta

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

"Forgetting about normal stuff (brakes,tire,etc.) My total repair cost with 148000 is $500 just a Temp. sensor, O2 sensor and a window regulator. Plus mine is a special "city" model which means I get close to 33 mpg on my daily drive. On a trip the mileage drops to about 30 but I don't care as only 5% of my driving is long distance. Going to try and beat my record I set with my 86 GTI which was 448000 miles."

Trusty Steed

By on Sunday, October 06, 2013

Pros: "Fun, reliable, a huge value"

Cons: "Plastic interior parts break easily, cup holders"

"Had this car for 6 years now. Bought it used with 35k miles on it. I've had very little issues with the car outside of normal wear and tear. Replaced an alternator belt, a couple fluid leaks, air pump, and fuses were the only real repairs. The car feels solid and the drivetrain is excellent for the price. Other cars feel cheap steering and cheap in acceleration and take off. Going 100mph in this car feels completely safe compared to many other that make noise and shake. Very pleased. Would buy a brand new 2002 jetta if I could."

VW Jetta

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "PEPPY, SOLID, FAST"

Cons: "The window motors are a problem as they are in BMW"

"This is my 2nd VW Jetta and I have to say, the Germans used to make a great car! I've heard the newer model Jetta isn't as comfy, but the older models are extremely comfortable, with wide large cushy seats and a lot of support. The moonroof still works well with no wind noise or squeaking after 14 yrs, and still runs strong!"

50 MPG ON ONE GALLON OF GAS ROUND TRIP ACROSS MTN

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "SUPER EASY TO DRIVE"

Cons: "NO LEATHER SEATS"

"THIS IS THE BEST VEHICLE! SUPER PEPPY,RELIABLE,COMFORTABLE, AGILE! CLIMBS AFTON MOUNTAIN IN FIFTH GEAR LIKE A V8 ENGINE AND SIPS LITTLE GAS. BODY,INTERIOR,EXTERIOR IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. EASY VEHICLE TO SERVICE. SUPER FAST ON THE INTERSTATE & AROUND WASHINGTON,DC CAPITAL BELTWAY. VEHICLE FACTORY EQUIPPED BURGLAR ALARM,ENGINE IMMOBOLIZER,RADIO ANTI-THEFT ACTIVATED WITH THE LOCK OF DOORS. WILL NEED TO SELL DUE TO CANCER."

11 years and still my favorite car

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great mileage, dependable"

Cons: "seats don't hold up,needs custom tune post warrant"

"I was middle aged when I purchased this car 11 years ago, now a senior and i still enjoy this car. I have only been towed once in 168k, the turbo blew. It was tuned 2.5 years ago and mileage actually improved to a city/hwy average of 42mpg and I have achieved 50+ on a few trips even with a heavy r foot. It handles well with decent tires and is fun on curvy roads! It carries a bunch of stuff capably."

Excellent to drive, but starting to eat parts!

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, good styling"

Cons: "Plastic parts and sensors tend to fail early"

"My experience with this car started at 103,000 miles. It has been fairly reliable, leaving us on the side of the road only one time with a failed crankshaft sensor. Since that time, there has been one other expensive, non-scheduled repair involving the rear O2 sensor and the mass airflow sensor. We are now looking at a fairly complete F/R suspension overhaul and the need for clutch replacement at some point. Prior to all this however, during the first owner's experience, unscheduled maintenance was very low. Despite all said above, the car delivered about 120,000 miles before starting to pile up the old-age wear-out items noted. If I were to start over, I might go for a newer Jetta, if it is as pleasant to drive as this one has been."