2005 Volkswagen Jetta

7.5

Based on 1482 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Fun driver

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"I bought my 2000 GLX new in Feb. 2000 and have logged 82,000 miles. Car is well-maintained and has always been serviced by the dealership. I've never owned a better driving car. Consistently get 26-27 mpg on the highway and 16-20 around town depending on density of traffic and stop and go. Switched from premium to mid-grade when gas went over $2.50/gal with no noticable difference in mileage or performance. With a VR6 engine it scats like a cat. Wheels will chirp if you aren't careful when taking off from a stop. Engine and automatic trans. are well matched to the weight of the car. The list of standard equipment is impressive. The anti-lock breaks perform well even in a panic situation. The rain-sensitive wipers are cool as is the self-dimming mirror. I love the right side mirror that tilts downward to view the curb when parallel parking. The heated, electrically operated front seats provide excellent lumbar support. With the adjustable steering column it's impossible not to find a comfortable driving position unless your unusually tall. Mechanically the engine has been terrific but I've had more problems with the coolant and pollution control systems than I would have expected. I replaced the rear brakes and original tires at 60,000 miles. Front pads are still serviceable - checked at every service. Love the Monsoon sound, the well-tailored leather interior and the fit and quality of every component. Car has always been garaged and the Atlantic Blue clearcoat finish still looks new thanks to Mother's Carnauba wax. I would recommend a Jetta VR6 to anyone looking for a car that won't give you a lot of engine headaches. The greater dependability over the 4 cylinder is worth the slight mileage penalty. I wanted a car that wasn't going to grow old on me quickly and I got exactly what I was hoping for."

Best vheicle ever

By on Saturday, July 18, 2009

"I bought an 03 VW Jetta GLI in 04 and it has been the best vehicle that I have ever invested money in!! I got the VR6 6 speed manual and I have not had any problems with the car and it now has 91k on it. I have only had to replace the tires twice because the low profiles do not last that long(and yes they are expensive) but the maintenance alone on these vehicles can be very expensive but you have a great car. I have driven this car for 5 years so two sets of tires versus repair bills I would have from driving a different car do not even compare. I think this was the best investment and if you are looking for a great car buy the Jetta(just make sure it is not a 4cyl or turbo) they tend to have problems but the VR6 is the best engine although hard to find now. I will drive this car until it does not drive anymore!!!!"

great mpg

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I have had the car a couple of years now bought it used with 51K on it. It is a 2004 Jetta GL wagon TDI. Ihave taken it on many trips and got 49.8 MPG avg. I did put in a K&N air filter it gave me 2 to 3 MPG. I only use the VW 50501 oil and the oil stays clean. I now have 100,000 miles on it and the only repair I had to make was a timing belt and water pump only because it was recommended by VW at 80,000 miles. By doing it before it goes out saved me $2500 in repair of damage it would have caused to the motor if I had waited until it went out. I did the work myself and it cost about $400. Overall the car is great and very dependable best MPG of any car I ever owned and performance is not bad either very peppy. I would definitely buy another one."

Biggest Mistake of My Life

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"Buying my 2002 Jetta quickly became the biggest mistake of my life. I owned a 92 Corolla that was falling apart that was more dependable. In the two years i've owned my Jetta (purchased it in 06) The heated seats have caught fire, the hazard lights have a short which causes them to click non stop like they're on (when they're not), my windshield cracked without being hit (and without bad weather), it has had complete power failure while driving in a major intersection three times, i've had to have the alternator replaced, spark plugs, fans, countless hoses, pumps, and not to mention the battery replaced four times so far. There was also a problem where the car would not shift gears, instead the engine was groan and then the entire car would shake violently (because of a short with the break light). Another time my car refused to shift gears and accelerate causing my car to shake violently while on my way to work. It has been nothing but recalls, problems and stress. I'm paying more money for it than I should have (thanks to the dealership) and on top of that i pump ungodly amounts just to keep it running (which doesnt work because it leaves me sitting in parking lots on a regular basis). It literally breaks down for at least a week every other month, and i've known others with the same jetta that had the same problems. Oh...and the Stereo/Cd Player/Radio just died the month after I got the car. It has power, it is just frozen on one channel and has no volume..it also refuses to play any type of cd or casset."

Fun to drive, but no Peace

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"We bought our 2001 1.8L Turbo, Wolfsburg new. While still making payments we've replaced: the transmission (lifetime warranty on the powertrain - 2001 was last year for this), catalytic converter, every seal several times ~ still cleaning oil off my driveway ~ , water pump, timing chain, alternator, oil pan (somebody somehow stripped the plug so we had to replace the whole thing - $600!), and all other major funtional engine parts have been replaced. If not that then the usual normal oil change and batteries in between dropoffs to the mechanic. It's like we were making double payments until it was paid off, now just a single payment. Numerous recalls - we can't recall them all, and one sits on the table yet again. Think arranging your schedule to drop car off to the dealer or mechanic just about every month. Unfixed items remain: the cup holder in front, clip to the center console, spring on passenger seat that moves it, clip on visor, the upgraded 6 CD changer that intermittently recognizes your CD and is in the trunk (you have to stop the car, get in and out several times to get it to play your CD, from day one) - all kinds of little stuff that eliminates the great gas mileage and joy in the turbo and handling - great when we're not on our way to the mechanic! ... and breaks your budget. Nothing inside has broken for about 6 months, so we're saving our $50's and $100's to get the pesky things fixed...or not. I loved my '87 Jetta, should have kept it. Hear great things still about these Jetta's, but we've had a bad experience and are looking for a different vehicle so hopefully we can go, say, 4 months without seeing our mechanic - you know, for an oil change."

TDI Gas Mileage Rocks!

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"We bought our Jetts TDI in 2000, because of the gas mileage. We average 50 mpg for running around town and my commute. This summer drove to Tennessee and got 60-65 mpg. Problems: Cylinder issues year 4, fixed at dealership first time. Glow plugs year 4, driver's power window broke year 6, husband fixed. Back seat cup holder broke month 6, front cup holder year seven, It was incredibly pesky, but now I miss it, since the car is manual. Dealer said it would be $200 to fix back cup holder, don't want to think what the front cup holder would cost! Lots of room for driver and front passenger, I cannot ride in back without getting car sick. It isn't comfortable unless you are a size zero which will work for my daughter and her friends. LOL. Love the trunk it will fit my massage table plus luggage for 3 women. My husband calls it the bottemless trunk. I did manage to fill it up for camping once. I would buy another, though I think I am going to get the wagon next time and hope for more room in the back seat."

loosing credit

By on Thursday, December 13, 2007

"I owned my 01 Jetta VR6 since 04. I shouldnt argue with the maintenance becuase I purchased this car for such a good price. I love the sportiness, and performance of the VR6. I never had problems with the electrical, but i did put hyperwhite head lights in, that fried my head light harnesses. Some mechanical issues involved ABS recall, belt assembly, and leaking radiator/coolant, which I hear is common upon these models, also replacing misfired cylinders. Also alot of the rubber coating on the door handles and dash chips off. But the main reason to purchase a new vehicle, was when the rear center-support became bent (reason unknown) and balded the inside of the rear tires, which is a structural issue. If looking to purchase, bring it to a trusting mechanic to check the mechanical parts of it. ABS, wear of the belt assembly, radiator and coolant tank for leaks, and of course good tires! Other than that, I really enjoyed that car, and its still going, 160,000 miles plus....."

Warning

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"I bought this car used about three and a half years ago. It ran really well and was fun to drive. Since then, I have had two recalls, my sterio just stopped working, and at times I think the whole thing is just gonna fall apart like in the cartoons. Its true also that you feel like your beating it up all the time. Everything you drive over no matter how slow youre going, the bottom just eats the road. I have kept it up even though it costs an arm and a leg. The oil burns so fast and you really have to remember to check it often. The lights always go out the paint on the door handles and things peels off, and the front vents will fall off if you dont pay attenion and pop them back in. The bumper also can just pop off on the corners. I've also had a terrible time with all the dealerships. They do not know how to treat customers. I had to contact corporate just to get the owners manual that they forgot to give me and wanted to charge me like 90$ for. Also, after about two years they smell like crayons! Everyone I know who has one has said the same. There are positives, they are incredibly safe, the trunk is huge, and its cozy. But I'm sorry to say that I would never recommend this car nor buy another one."

Below expectations

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"Reliability of the vehicle and ability to obtain proper troubleshooting for mechnaical repair is poor."

Favorite Vehicle So Far

By on Monday, July 09, 2007

"This car great Performance and has quality Comfort. Drawbacks are the constant maintenance and price of fixing/replacing parts. Issues are well known and tend to happen to all owners of this vehicle. If you are going to purchase this car, you better have a good, and knowledgeable mechanic."

Luv My Jetta

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

"Forgetting about normal stuff (brakes,tire,etc.) My total repair cost with 148000 is $500 just a Temp. sensor, O2 sensor and a window regulator. Plus mine is a special "city" model which means I get close to 33 mpg on my daily drive. On a trip the mileage drops to about 30 but I don't care as only 5% of my driving is long distance. Going to try and beat my record I set with my 86 GTI which was 448000 miles."

Trusty Steed

By on Sunday, October 06, 2013

Pros: "Fun, reliable, a huge value"

Cons: "Plastic interior parts break easily, cup holders"

"Had this car for 6 years now. Bought it used with 35k miles on it. I've had very little issues with the car outside of normal wear and tear. Replaced an alternator belt, a couple fluid leaks, air pump, and fuses were the only real repairs. The car feels solid and the drivetrain is excellent for the price. Other cars feel cheap steering and cheap in acceleration and take off. Going 100mph in this car feels completely safe compared to many other that make noise and shake. Very pleased. Would buy a brand new 2002 jetta if I could."

VW Jetta

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "PEPPY, SOLID, FAST"

Cons: "The window motors are a problem as they are in BMW"

"This is my 2nd VW Jetta and I have to say, the Germans used to make a great car! I've heard the newer model Jetta isn't as comfy, but the older models are extremely comfortable, with wide large cushy seats and a lot of support. The moonroof still works well with no wind noise or squeaking after 14 yrs, and still runs strong!"

50 MPG ON ONE GALLON OF GAS ROUND TRIP ACROSS MTN

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "SUPER EASY TO DRIVE"

Cons: "NO LEATHER SEATS"

"THIS IS THE BEST VEHICLE! SUPER PEPPY,RELIABLE,COMFORTABLE, AGILE! CLIMBS AFTON MOUNTAIN IN FIFTH GEAR LIKE A V8 ENGINE AND SIPS LITTLE GAS. BODY,INTERIOR,EXTERIOR IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. EASY VEHICLE TO SERVICE. SUPER FAST ON THE INTERSTATE & AROUND WASHINGTON,DC CAPITAL BELTWAY. VEHICLE FACTORY EQUIPPED BURGLAR ALARM,ENGINE IMMOBOLIZER,RADIO ANTI-THEFT ACTIVATED WITH THE LOCK OF DOORS. WILL NEED TO SELL DUE TO CANCER."

11 years and still my favorite car

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great mileage, dependable"

Cons: "seats don't hold up,needs custom tune post warrant"

"I was middle aged when I purchased this car 11 years ago, now a senior and i still enjoy this car. I have only been towed once in 168k, the turbo blew. It was tuned 2.5 years ago and mileage actually improved to a city/hwy average of 42mpg and I have achieved 50+ on a few trips even with a heavy r foot. It handles well with decent tires and is fun on curvy roads! It carries a bunch of stuff capably."

Excellent to drive, but starting to eat parts!

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, good styling"

Cons: "Plastic parts and sensors tend to fail early"

"My experience with this car started at 103,000 miles. It has been fairly reliable, leaving us on the side of the road only one time with a failed crankshaft sensor. Since that time, there has been one other expensive, non-scheduled repair involving the rear O2 sensor and the mass airflow sensor. We are now looking at a fairly complete F/R suspension overhaul and the need for clutch replacement at some point. Prior to all this however, during the first owner's experience, unscheduled maintenance was very low. Despite all said above, the car delivered about 120,000 miles before starting to pile up the old-age wear-out items noted. If I were to start over, I might go for a newer Jetta, if it is as pleasant to drive as this one has been."

Incredible Mileage

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "45 MPG"

Cons: "Small"

"I got this car as a commuter and have not been disappointed. I average 43mpg mixed driving and 45 mpg highway. The interior is nice, but a little small. An average size person barely fits in the backseat. Overall I like the reliability and comfort of the car, just wish it had a bit more space."

Great fuel economy!!!

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pros: "MPG, Good Sound Sys, Nice Ride"

Cons: "Cramped, Expensive Repairs, $$$$$$$"

"Great fuel economy, however for a 6ft tall 250lb man....it is kinda tight to get in and out of. Also it is pricey to have work done, also its tempermental in the winter time. Just FYI"

Great Car!

By on Friday, August 19, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage, fun to drive, reliable"

"I bought my '04 Jetta (automatic) in '06 with 30,000 miles, now it has 214,000 miles. It's had to have a few minor problems fixed (O2 sensor, thermostat and spark plugs) but for a 7 year old car with 214,000 miles I cannot complain. All parts can be bought from Autozone for a very resonable price, if you have someone to do the labor. You will pay much much more if you go to a dealership. When my daughter turned 16 it was time to pass it on and get a new one for me."

nightmare

By on Thursday, August 05, 2010

"I bought my Jetta used with almost 90k miles on it which I realize is a lot BUT I previously owned an older model Toyota Corolla with similar mileage and had zero problems with it. This Jetta has been a nightmare. Everything that could possibly go wrong with the coolant system has. Various other problems... VWs are not cheap to fix. The front bumper is way too low to the ground. It tears off if you pull into a parking spot with a barrier. My cup holder snapped off. One of my keys (the fancy ones that are $100+ to replace) snapped in half. My visor mirror snapped off... and the list goes on. Now I'm having a big deal fuel related issue that I am mostly likely not going to fix. It's time for a new car. I've had enough. I will never buy a VW again."

Great Excellent Working Vehicle

By on Thursday, June 03, 2010

"This is a nice car to drive around any place you would want. I've owned this car for a long time and this car is just a babe it drives like new even if it has 165,ooo on it and its a 2003 it still drives like new. Great performance i live in the country and have to drive 10 miles to a store and this car is just a gas saver drives me where ever i want to go am looking on buying another 2007 jetta TDI pretty soon."

By on Wednesday, March 03, 2010

"I bought my 2003 Jetta GLS 2.0T brand new and have been in love ever since. It has 108k on it and has never given my any major problems. I have had the occassional recall. The coils were recalled about 6 months after I replaced them and VW refunded my money. I get great gas mileage. It is kind of a small car so if you have anyone in the backseat they won't have much leg room. Starts up everytime and purrs like a kitten, even if it has been sitting for a few days. It is such fun to drive. My only regret is that I did not get the sport suspension. It excelerates pretty darn quick when merging onto NJ hightways, and if you live in NJ you know that's important! I would definitely recommend this car to anyone."

Not major, but annoying problems

By on Thursday, February 25, 2010

"Great powertrain, but be prepared to spend some money on minor repairs. VW has lowered their standards since the late 80's for sure. Overly engineered, the 03 VW Jetta was (and prob still is) notorious for electrical issues (ignition switch, sensors, computer malfunctions, etc). Get used to the glowing check engine light and be ready to make this a permanent part of your dash. Difficult for DIY’s to assess and fix problems and VW parts and especially labor (think $5 sensor costing $200 to replace at the dealer – 5 minute job after needing to replace a second time myself) will bring the cost of the car well over what it's worth. At approximately 100K miles, I got to the point of whether or not I’d make it to my destination without an electrical malfunction, thus causing an engine failure. But otherwise, the engine/trans/mechanical components extremely sound... too bad their run off a computer. But after seeing the marketing strategy at the autoshow this year (focusing mainly on teenie-bopper kids), it'll be a good year for the VW mechanics given that parents will be lining up to get that pesky check engine light shut off with their wallet-full of cash... good move VW!"

best car iv ever owned

By on Thursday, February 11, 2010

"iv had my jetta since it was new. it is a 2001. it now has about 250000 miles on it. i have never had any problems with it. all iv done is kept up with the basic maitnance and it has run perfect. BUY A JETTA. you will be stuck on them for life."

WARNING: Has to be serviced by VW dealer only

By on Monday, October 26, 2009

"We owned this car for five years and had several problems with the brake light switch that would cause the gear shifter to lock up making the car unusable. Two brake switch repairs were under warranty and recall, the third time it cost me $350.00 once the car went out of warranty. This car is engineered and designed to be serviced by VW technicians only. You can't even put in your own transmission fluid, you need to have a dealership do that and expect to pay $$$. The car needs specalized equptment to service so expect to really pay out for any needed repair. CD player stopped working at 25,000 miles.... the aluminum wheels seize up on the hub and are next to impossible to get off yourself if you ever get a flat! Expect to be stranded along the roadside, even a sledge hammer wouldn't get the wheel off. We got tired of getting overcharged by the VW dealer for routine maintenance , I traded in our Jetta at 90,000 miles and will never buy another Volkswagen product again. Good Riddance!"