2005 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1474 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

13 yrs old and never a problem

By on Thursday, February 12, 2015

Pros: "economical, dependable and it just fits me."

Cons: "Terrible cup holder set up"

"I would never have expected any new car to last this long and be so trouble-free and dependable. The only reason I'd love to get a new car is for the new features that did not even exist when I bought this car."

2005 1/2 Jetta TDI

By on Saturday, February 07, 2015

"why the 1/2 was put on this car..I don't know. But it ALWAYS caused problems for anything done to this car, even as simple as an oil change! Even the dealer had trouble getting it right! But I love this car! No other car can touch the mpg!!! 45 - 50 mpg! This is our "go to" car. The backseat lays down making it possible to fit just about anything in the trunk! I do think VW could do a much better job standing behind their vehicles. It had wiring harness/ electrical issues early on (under warranty) and again later (not under warranty). Just last fall (fall/2014) I received a class action suit letter about said defect! I was notified of an '05 model recall on the egr cooler. Took it to the dealer and he ran my vin and said my vin was not included in the recall. One year and $1200 later my egr cooler was replaced!! I'm not sure how you can be notified your part is defective and then have your vin excluded. But that's what happened. Now its at 260,000 miles and the cam shaft and lifters need replaced (so I'm told). So I'm between a rock and a hard place. KBB says its only worth $2 or $3K and its going to cost more than that to fix it. What to do, What to do.... But I wouldn't change anything, its been a great car!"

2003 Jetta Least Reliable

By on Thursday, February 05, 2015

"2003 Jetta Turbo. Bought for my daughter as 1st car. Bad decision, nothing but trouble. Even the volkswagen dealer told us very unreliable year."

Average at best.

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Pros: "Adequate diesel; handles well; good cargo room."

Cons: "Defective paint; lacking in overall quality."

"Clear coat and paint sloughing off, overall finish inside and outside is disappointing. It doesn't deliver the fuel economy I expected; it eats glow plugs; alternator and roller failed. Automatic trans has always felt a tad unsure; now may have problem developing - TBD. In some areas (i.e. trans) it was not designed with ease-of-maintenance in mind. On the positive side, it has very adequate torque and drives and handles well. With the rear seats down, it has a surprising amount of cargo room."

Good deal for a solid reliable vehicle

By on Saturday, December 06, 2014

Pros: "quiet and comfortable ride, good handling."

Cons: "O2 sensor needed to get replaced early"

"engine runs like it was new! 2.0 gas with standard transmission (still feels great) reliable car. quiet and almost no road noise. handling is great. ride quality is great. owning a Volkswagen is like a having a high upkeep wife. take good care of it and do all the scheduled maintenance and you will be rewarded with one of the best driving machines on the road today. treat it badly and abuse it...and it will be your worst nightmare. do your research!! besides the typical cupholders and O2 sensor going out everything else is great!! cookie cutter german design on the body. but if you can get past that its a great car!! just make sure when you plan on buying one that it is up to date on its preventive maintenance!"

Buy a TDI ....

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior"

Cons: "Burns oil, not good on gas, loud on highway."

"I've had this car for 3 years and im not really satisfied with it. To many little issues. The check engine light always pops up. DONT buy the 2.0 gas . Not very frugal on gas , burns oil crazy, and very lazy. Very small in the back."

Bought new in 2002 - now 12 years later ?

By on Monday, December 01, 2014

Pros: "Gas Mileage, Reliability, No mechanical issues."

Cons: "Oil Pan is very sensitive when doing oil changes."

"Still going strong! The car has held up well but I've maintained it well. Did the regular oil change and the only wear/tear issue I've had in the last 14 years was replacement of the gas tank. Not too shabby considering I have 170K on it. I get a bit leary of having so many miles on the car, and my other cars I've sold once I hit 150k, but this keeps going strong. May keep it around a bit longer and let it become the kids first car. BTW - Still so much fun to drive. Guess it makes me feel a bit younger driving this car :)"

A good vehicle

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, fun, good mileage"

Cons: "Need tiny hands to do anything"

"I bought my '02 2.0 Jetta in August of 2007 after my Mitsubishi decided it no longer wanted to run. Apart from issues finding reverse (standard transmission) I fell in love with the performance of the car almost immediately. When purchased, it had a little over 50,000 miles on it so I'm coming up on quadrupling it's mileage in 7.5 years. To date I've had to do the timing belt and water pump twice, and that is literally the most I've ever had to spend on the car in one fell swoop. Working on the car yourself can be a little aggravating because everything is in the way of everything else. Little things like changing the headlights are exacerbated by the placement of the battery. Overall, though, just tack an extra 30 minutes on how long you think it should take to fix it on a non-German vehicle and you'll probably be spot on. Being a standard transmission has greatly helped out in the winter, as the roads in CT are less than ideal after snow or hail. I've never lost control on the roads in this car, however if it were an automatic I may have issues because of it's small size. Having two children now I'll likely be replacing it with a slightly roomier Passat in the near future. The car is plenty spacious if you're not constantly carting people around, and the rather small amount of back seat space is made up for by a generously sized trunk (folding rear seats to extend cargo space is a plus as well.) All in all, I would recommend this car to just about anyone (especially the standard). It's fun to drive and has had so few non-routine issues for me I don't mind keeping it around even with it's high mileage."

Great Ride

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

"This car is great. I get closer to 50 mpgs when on the highway and ive never had a problem with it. I couldnt ask for more from a vehicle that is an '01."

My second tdi

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "very good looking and dependable. 50 mpg on hwy."

"drove my 1998 tdi for 14 years, 240000 miles. no major problem. this is my second. I love it."