2005 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1478 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Luv my Jetta

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2008

"I bought my Jetta used with 97k miles. I am now approaching 200k miles with only a few minor repairs. The car still runs smooth, drives great, and has plenty of power. My only complaint is that routine maintenance is more expensive than for other cars I have owned."

A word of caution!

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "attractive, fun to drive, small."

Cons: "Transmission, requires regular maintenance"

"My parents purchased a 2002 Jetta GL for me as a first car due to its high safety rating. I would agree that it's a very safe car and I'm not ashamed to be seen driving it. It's heavy, which is nice for me as I do a lot of driving in wet weather and in six years I have yet to hydroplane or skid out. Plus it has plenty of airbags and a solid frame. The brakes are responsive, it accelerates reasonably quickly, and it handles surprisingly well for an entry-level subcompact. Even a decade old it's still a fun car to drive and I love driving a car that's nimble. But this is not a car to own out of warranty, especially not at the base model. The engine has given me nothing but grief, which is why I'm getting rid of it. I had to rebuild the transmission about three years ago and the engine is beginning to break down so I have to add oil pretty regularly. And now the oil warning light doesn't come on until my car is completely dry, which means that I have to check the oil weekly or I run the risk of driving on a dry engine and causing it to seize. The mechanic I take my car to has told me that it's common for the motors on Jettas to go after about 175K miles, at which point the engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Also, as it's an older car, it has a timing belt instead of a timing chain and if you lose the timing belt, you lose the engine. The timing belt needs to be replaced around 90-100K, so if you're looking at purchasing an older Jetta, be sure to ask whether the timing belt has been replaced. The fuel economy is nothing special, I find that I get about 15-17 mpg in city and I can bump it to about 20-22 if I'm doing mostly highway driving. Speaking of highway driving, here's another place the car's weight comes in handy. The car stays pretty steady even in heavy winds. Overall this car is good for a beginner driver or someone who's pretty handy with cars, but if you're looking to keep this car into the 100K mile range and you need a car that you aren't going to have to worry about, I would recommend looking elsewhere."

My Best Car ever!

By on Wednesday, July 13, 2011

"It gets 50 on the highway, averages high 40s in the city for MPG. Comfortable, dependable, most of my 2000 still has all the original equipment on it! Had to just give it a new set of "shoes" (suspension) and had the intake manifold cleared of cheap diesel slug. This car is safe and solid. You can not give me enough money to buy, it has far past its original sticker price with having stainless steel exhaust (haven't replaced YET, still using the original clutch on the manual trans...). If you can find one, they are just getting better with age and mileage!"

2002 Jetta Saved my Life

By on Friday, September 07, 2007

"I bought a 2002 Jetta GL 2.0 5 Spd, fully loaded two months ago - I was hit by a 2000 Red Toyota Camri on my drivers side door and than hit a utility pole. The officer said I had a 205 chance of living, I walked away from the accident on my own two legs with a few bumps and bruises. My Jetta saved my life! It took the impact to the drivers side door as if she hit me going 5 mph vs. the 40 mph she was going. Than I must have collided into the pole at least at about 20mph and the jetta took it like a champ! I love my Jetta's and I will never buy another brand of car again! VW all the way"

Great, except for the electrics :-(

By on Sunday, May 13, 2012

Pros: "Great mpg, good in hills and mountains, handling"

Cons: "Electrical issues"

"I love my 2002 Jetta TDI Wagon, except... for the faulty door sensors. For the last few months, the alarm system is now sounding off at random, often at 2A in the morning. This could be an issue any of the doors, tailgate, and hood. Reading the various web sites and bulletin boards about this issue. Well, the repair can be quite expensive if performed at a dealership. If you are handy, you might be able to fix it yourself, which takes about 2 hours per door. I may try to disable the door sensors and that may make things tolerable. If not, perhaps a trade in. But not another VW. I hear the newer models all have a range of glitches and much lower quality materials in the interior."

This is the best car I have ever owned!

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "reliable, gas milage, comfortable, great drive"

Cons: "small trunk opening, rear light issues,"

"This car has been very reliable over the 12 years that I have owned it. Gas mileage 49.6 miles/(US) gal over 6 months last summer. I'll never buy another gas model car again. 310,000 miles and still going stong"

Driving it until the wheels fall off!

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive; great gas mileage (38/40mpg)"

Cons: "repairs can be expensive out of warranty"

"Had it since new. Love the way it drives. I fit in it well for a smaller car (6'). Good daily driver for a warmer state and the gas mileage is unbeatable. Expensive to get repairs the older it gets. Lot of the little interior bits break over time, but if you can live without a cup holder it's fine. Not very user friendly to do any work on it yourself, so you need a mechanic if anything breaks. Most major repair issues were covered under 5 year extended warranty and VW recalls."

Stay away from automatic trans

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, good design, base model options"

Cons: "auto trans, slow w/ 2.0, questionable reliability"

"Purchased this car 6 months ago. Cam sensor acting up when purchased and ultimately needed to be replaced. Drives well and looks good, overall feels solid. Stay away from the automatics and get the manual, they are known to be bad and I see them at transmission shops all the time. Slow acceleration with 2.0. Gets okay gas mileage, should get more mpg for what it is. Small back seat. Great factory monsoon system. Glove box handles break all the time. heated cloth seats are great for cold weather. Moderate wind noise on highway. High RPM at highway speeds."

Good car for the initial investment

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "Initial cost, MPG, durability"

Cons: "Repair costs, electrical system"

"Bought my 2002 Jetta from Carmax at a good price in 2006. The car had 30,000. It's been mostly reliable but has had many of the same issues that other owners have described; catalytic converter, coil wire, windows falling down ($415.00 to replace 1 regulator) & a finicky alarm system that seems to have a mind of it's own. Overall I'm happy with the car but unsure if I'd buy another one."

The car was built like a tank

By on Thursday, January 31, 2008

"I owned a 2002 Jetta and one awful night I hit a huge puddle of water, spun out and hit a concrete median head on at approx. 65 mph. The entire front end of the car was unrecognizable, but I only walked away from a horrendous crash with a sore neck and a few bruised ribs from the seat belt. The police officer on the scene could not believe I was not dead on impact. I miss that car, but it saved my life."

some positive some negative

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "cool car, smooth ride"

Cons: "lots of repairs"

"I've had this car for 6 years. Positives -Smooth ride -Good looking car -good visibility from inside the car Negatives -My car burns oil like no other. If I drive frequently, I need to add oil to the car about 3 times per week.... -I am at 72k miles and nearly every part of the car has broken. -Not having automatic windows and mirrors is a pain for numerous reasons. If I had't had so many mechanical issues with this car I would give it a very positive review, but all of the repairs I have paid for this year have cost me more than the total current value of the car.."

Long Lasting

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, great looks, reliable"

Cons: "turbo demands extra attention/premium fuel."

"The 1.8T is extremely dependable. I've had near zero reliability issues. But its turbo, so you have to ensure that you change the oil on schedule and only use premium fuel. Mine is fully loaded (Sans VR6) and feels way more upscale than its competition, even 9 years later. Watch out for the coilpacks above 100k. Its a bit high reving at highway speed."

Excellent dependability and fun

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, cheap to operate"

Cons: "looks like grandma's car"

"Have 280K and climbing, never had any functional problems, sure change a seat heat sw and do scheduled maintenance but it's an 2003. Power train is sound, I just change the oil every 15k, and run #2 (no bio or tree hugger stuff) I like the stogy exterior design, never turns heads like rice rockets hence no tickets!"

The TDI makes it the best car ever

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Fantastic fuel mileage, fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "Cheap plastic pieces all break and need replacing"

"I bought this car new in October of 2000. It now has 195,000 miles on it and is still going strong. Trip to Oregon and back a couple weeks ago netted exactly 52 MPG at somewhat aggressive freeway speeds (manual). The only issue I have is that I need to get a new car for carrying capacity reasons and just can't seem to give this car up. It will be going on to one of my sons, so it will at least be staying in the family. I fully expect that it could go another 200K miles."

Best Car Ever!

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Reason: needed a bigger car

Pros: "gas mielage, front wheel drive, reliability,"

Cons: "front cup holders broke easily"

"This was the second card I owned. I bought my Jetta when I turned 19 and owned throughout my 20's. This car was great on gas mileage and required very little maintenance. Living in Colorado during the winter can be tough without 4WD or AWD, but the Jetta ended up doing really well due to it being a heavier car and Front wheel drive. I would recommend this car for anyone. I really beat it up as teenager and it lived and flourished throughout my mid and late 20's, best purchase ever!!"

3 jETTA S LATER AND STILL GETTING ANOTHER

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "I have loved driving my bright red sporty car"

Cons: "My tape deck quit 4 years ago cd quit last wk."

"i Have owned my present Jetta for 10 years, it was a lease car and had 47,000 when i got it. It has gone over the 250,000 goal I had set to get from it. The condition is still in full driving order with some rust on the trunk area only. I am purchasing another leased Jetta with fewer miles but 6 years old in very good shape, and expect to drive it another 10 years."

Bets car I have owned YET!!

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Very drivable, quick, fun, comfy, and good MPG"

Cons: "Coil packs go out, and 3rd gear is a weak point"

On one of our show trips

"I would recomend the 2003 Jetta GLI 24 valve VR6 6 speed to any one from a first time buyer, to a seasoned gear head who likes to moddify their car. From stock to as it sits today this car has given me limited issues, and is extremely reliable. Gas milage is great for a mid size 6 cyl. 200 base/ engine HP is more than enough for fun or trouble, and with basic mods this car should not be ignored as a fantastic daily driver. With a cold air intake kit and cat back exhaust system this car sounds fantasic, and is a real dream to drive. And with the 14.5 gal tank I see 390 to 406 miles to the tank on long drives. The only really bad thigs with this car when buying used are the coil packs, they tend to go out and need replacing with out warning. And 3rd gear in th 02M 6 speed transmission seems to take the most abuse, and would be the chinc in the armor there. Other than that those are the only "bad" points I can think of. I would give this car a 8.5 to 9 out of 10."

On one of our show trips

Love my VW

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Im onto my second VW Jetta now and have loved both of them so far! My 2000 Jetta is always there for me and hasnt let me down, love the style of it. Interior is comfortable for those long rides especially with the heated cloth seats."

Like the car, expensive to repair.

By on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pros: "Runs well, comfortable, well equipped."

Cons: "Expensive repairs, reliability less than expected"

"I bought this 01 Jetta Wagon (4 cyl, auto) for my daughters to take to college. It had about 110K on the odo, and was in good running condition. The body was in fair condition. It had the appearance that it had recently slid off the road and into a ditch (winter). After a lengthy test drive and inspection, I purchased the vehicle for what I felt was a fair price. The car runs great, is comfortable to drive, and is typically reliable. It is very well equipped, and the controls are well placed and easy to use. It rides nice on the highway, handles very well in the snow, and the A/C works well in the summer. After owning the car for almost three years, it currently has over 135K on the odo. I have not been impressed with the gas mileage (ave 24 - 27 mpg), nor the expense for routine maintenance and repair. I had the timing belt replaced at 130K (along with the water pump), and that cost over $600. You have to use ONLY VW coolant, which is not cheap. I also replaced the spark plugs, wires, and coils...again ONLY VW parts can be used. When the fuel pump went out, that was another $500 repair. I usually do all the work on my cars, including regular oil changes, but the VW requires so many special tools and and computer hook ups that I could not do most of the routine maintenance and repair. Just replacing the sparks plugs required a partial disassembly of the engine. Overall, the car was ideal for a college car. However, it is getting to the point where it is becoming a money pit. In the past 6 months I have put almost $2,000 in repairs and maintenance into this car. Where do I cut my losses? I would like to sell it to another college bound kid, but I am not sure I would trust someone to drive it for a great distance."

Good engine, cheap interior

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

"This car gets great fuel mileage, average 40 mpg. The diesel has plenty of power. However, at 130,000 miles, the car is falling apart, and the interior has been in bad shape since 80,000. The engine and transmission are fine, however, all the supporting equipment around them are starting to/have broken. AC is out, passenger power window is out, plastic in interior is cracked and broken around the shifter, broken glove box latch, broken center console latch, plastic coating on dash is sticky, broken seat belt latch cover. Parts are super expensive and you must use factory VW OEM parts or German made aftermarket parts such as Bosch. Several of the parts under the hood are made out of plastic instead of metal to save weight, but they do not last as long. In particular is a 3 way coolant hose flange that is made of plastic, which gets very hot and cracks over time. Preventative maintenance must be done, especially because of the timing belt and timing issues with there cars. Waiting until a part breaks on these cars can cause more damage. In summary, great engine and transmission, but the interior is junk and plasticky. Parts are expensive."

Dealer maintenance costs will TORTURE you!

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "Fuel Milage, diesel runs forever."

Cons: "OUTRAGEOUS MAINTENANCE COSTS!"

"I love VW diesels. Great fuel milage and they run forever, this is my third Jetta TDI. But unless you are going to do your own maintenance be prepared to empty your wallet for service at the dealer. The timing belt needs to be changed every 100K miles, the dealer quoted $1200 for that. (I did my own for $250). I had to replace the entire rack and pinion steering assembly just because a $10 steering fluid tube that connects to the rack housing could NOT be purchased without buying the whole rack"

I love my Jetta so much I named him Bob!

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, safe, economic gas mileage, RELIABLE"

Cons: "Plastic interior gets brittle and break with age"

"I've had this car since I was 18. Learned to drive in it. Incredible gas mileage, safe as can be. I was t-boned by a Chevy Avalanche in it and walked away with nothing but a bruised knee. It's a great size for a small family or just a single person. Long distance travelling is great since you don't worry about fueling up constantly. Just be sure to find a mechanic who knows and loves VW's, because being German and diesel it can get pricey when going through the upkeep that comes with a car."

my jetta made me broke

By on Saturday, March 13, 2010

"VW are suppose to have a reputation of dependable efficient cars; this may be the case with others, but I regret the day that I bought my Jetta 1.8t. Since the purchase 5 years ago, I have replace the engine, the turbo, thermometer, and numerous sensors. On average every 2 months I am taking my car to the shop. The repair bills became so common that at times I had no other option but to forgo my car note and use that money for repairs. I don't drive excessively, just to work, the store, chruch, and school; all which are in a 10 mile radius of my residence. I would NOT suggest a VW to anyone, unless you have a spare car that can be used while your potential VW is in the shop. My spare car, an 86 Grand Prix is more reliable than my 01 Jetta, thats sad for VW"

Worst Car Ever!

By on Tuesday, May 05, 2009

"I have basically had to replace every part of this car. I have spent $8,500 in repairs in the last two years, replacing the transmission, water pump, gas tank, axel, and so on. I have paid almost as much in repairs as I owe on the car."

money pit

By on Monday, April 21, 2008

"I had my jetta for three weeks before the motor blew up going down the road and left me stranded. After a very expensive overhaul it was up and going again in a month and a half. Then the tranny began to have problems shifting and staying in gears. We ended up having to put a 4500 dollar new tranny in it after reverse went out completly. Now that we have it back again we recently found out that the turbo is leaking oil into the motor and now we have to put another 2000 into a new turbo. before we can begin driving it again. keep in mind that all of this has happened within a nine month period."