2004 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1487 Ratings for the 2000 - 2005 models.

Great except for costly, constant repairs

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "cheap to start with, stylish, comfortable"

Cons: "REPAIRS! Interior is a little cramped"

"I LOVE my Diesel Jetta. Oh yeah, except for having to replace the fuel pump, the turbocharger (twice), the transmission, and the emissions system. I love the fuel mileage, but any savings I ever had in fuel have been eaten up with costly repairs. Volkwagen has proprietary parts, so there is no alternative to going for their expensive parts. I have had factory recommended maintenance from the dealer, but I have still had repair after repair. I have truly enjoyed the ride, the style, and the fuel economy, but I cannot recommend this car, and I will not buy a Volkswagen again."

absolutely love it compares to my bmw

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "high quality with German performance"

Cons: "small interior for a big person"

"I have owned this car since new and passed it to my 20 something daughter who uses it to commute on one of the most heavily traveled highways in the US. This car is a pleasure to drive! German engineering in a big 6 cylinder gives it responsiveness, tightness and a good feel for the road. It can be trusted to accelerate when necessary and stop on a dime. Maintenance has been low for high mileage. It is a workhorse that is safe and sexy. I returned to bmw's as my car of choice but this little sweetheart stole my heart! I love getting back into it every time I can. The blue dash lights and courtesy lights at night, the leather, the pleasing esthetics and design all give me such delight."

Amazing car

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pros: "Amazing value and performance, reliability."

Cons: "Qualified mechanics can be hard to find."

"My Jetta is a 2003 TDI with just over 250K on the odometer. Bought it very lightly used 6-1/2 years ago. It still gets 45 mpg day in and day out, driving about 700 miles a week. After I had put 120000 more miles on it, a nearby dealer made an offer to buy it for what I had paid for it. This is my second VW diesel--the first was a 1979 Rabbit that I drove for about 11 years. These are great cars."

Many repeat repairs

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "repeat repairs"

"Drives great when the CEL is not. Road handling is excellent. Many problems that have been repeatedly fixed and continue to be a problem."

terrible trans

By on Friday, October 09, 2009

"Worst puchase ever. I've owned it for 5 months and for 7 weeks of those 5 months it has been in the garage. Transmission jerks hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd. They can't seem to fix the problem. Look up 2004 transmission problems before purchasing one of these nightmares!!!!!"