2004 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1481 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Love my VW

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Im onto my second VW Jetta now and have loved both of them so far! My 2000 Jetta is always there for me and hasnt let me down, love the style of it. Interior is comfortable for those long rides especially with the heated cloth seats."

Good engine, cheap interior

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

"This car gets great fuel mileage, average 40 mpg. The diesel has plenty of power. However, at 130,000 miles, the car is falling apart, and the interior has been in bad shape since 80,000. The engine and transmission are fine, however, all the supporting equipment around them are starting to/have broken. AC is out, passenger power window is out, plastic in interior is cracked and broken around the shifter, broken glove box latch, broken center console latch, plastic coating on dash is sticky, broken seat belt latch cover. Parts are super expensive and you must use factory VW OEM parts or German made aftermarket parts such as Bosch. Several of the parts under the hood are made out of plastic instead of metal to save weight, but they do not last as long. In particular is a 3 way coolant hose flange that is made of plastic, which gets very hot and cracks over time. Preventative maintenance must be done, especially because of the timing belt and timing issues with there cars. Waiting until a part breaks on these cars can cause more damage. In summary, great engine and transmission, but the interior is junk and plasticky. Parts are expensive."

Dealer maintenance costs will TORTURE you!

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "Fuel Milage, diesel runs forever."

Cons: "OUTRAGEOUS MAINTENANCE COSTS!"

"I love VW diesels. Great fuel milage and they run forever, this is my third Jetta TDI. But unless you are going to do your own maintenance be prepared to empty your wallet for service at the dealer. The timing belt needs to be changed every 100K miles, the dealer quoted $1200 for that. (I did my own for $250). I had to replace the entire rack and pinion steering assembly just because a $10 steering fluid tube that connects to the rack housing could NOT be purchased without buying the whole rack"

I love my Jetta so much I named him Bob!

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, safe, economic gas mileage, RELIABLE"

Cons: "Plastic interior gets brittle and break with age"

"I've had this car since I was 18. Learned to drive in it. Incredible gas mileage, safe as can be. I was t-boned by a Chevy Avalanche in it and walked away with nothing but a bruised knee. It's a great size for a small family or just a single person. Long distance travelling is great since you don't worry about fueling up constantly. Just be sure to find a mechanic who knows and loves VW's, because being German and diesel it can get pricey when going through the upkeep that comes with a car."

my jetta made me broke

By on Saturday, March 13, 2010

"VW are suppose to have a reputation of dependable efficient cars; this may be the case with others, but I regret the day that I bought my Jetta 1.8t. Since the purchase 5 years ago, I have replace the engine, the turbo, thermometer, and numerous sensors. On average every 2 months I am taking my car to the shop. The repair bills became so common that at times I had no other option but to forgo my car note and use that money for repairs. I don't drive excessively, just to work, the store, chruch, and school; all which are in a 10 mile radius of my residence. I would NOT suggest a VW to anyone, unless you have a spare car that can be used while your potential VW is in the shop. My spare car, an 86 Grand Prix is more reliable than my 01 Jetta, thats sad for VW"