2004 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1458 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Great fuel economy and fun to drive!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "40 mpg average, great pickup"

"I'm the second owner of this car, buying it from a dealer when it was 2 years old and in excellent condition. This is the second Jetta TDI for me. Mostly I use this car for myself, in town and highway driving with almost no maintenance. It needed a timing belt at 100,000 miles (this is standard service for a diesel) and one of the battery cables went bad. I've had the oil changed every 10,000 miles using full synthetic oil. The only minor complaint I have is that the back seat is a bit small, but this car will accommodate 5 average sized people without any trouble. I love the moon roof with the option of flipping up or sliding it open. Using the key to open or close all the windows at once is fun to use. I like that I can do minor things, like replacing the lights, myself. This is a wonderful car to own, and I usually fill up every one and a half to two weeks. It's been a great car for me since 2007."

Luv My Jetta

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

"Forgetting about normal stuff (brakes,tire,etc.) My total repair cost with 148000 is $500 just a Temp. sensor, O2 sensor and a window regulator. Plus mine is a special "city" model which means I get close to 33 mpg on my daily drive. On a trip the mileage drops to about 30 but I don't care as only 5% of my driving is long distance. Going to try and beat my record I set with my 86 GTI which was 448000 miles."

2004 Jetta TDI is a GREAT car!

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "Great little car!"

Cons: "Seat-back recliner dial is awkwardly placed"

"I love my 2004 TDI! The newer Jetta TDI has been cheapened beyond compare - no body-side molding, 'plastic-y' dashboard, no leather option, cheaper carpeting, cheaper wheels, etc. etc. I am awaiting the new model which is currently available in Europe (unfortunately Americans are not allowed to purchase cars overseas...). It is supposed to be much more like the 2004 I currently own, including the leather seat option. I am hoping that they will also come out with an all-wheel drive version in a wagon in the not-too-distant future."

fun car

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "fast fun to drive"

Cons: "holds the road /been up to 125 mph love it"

"I purchased it used needed some work expensive to repair runs great when there is no problems do it your self guys will love it so many things after market"

this has be one of the best cars i have owned

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pros: "its all good"

Cons: "repair coast"

"I thought that I would not own a vw agine after my first one it was a 76 squair back it had a mager over heating problum. But this Jetta VR6 is one awsam car it almost drives itslfe love the car"

love my jetta 5 speed nothing drives like it!

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

Cons: "plastic parts cracked"

"I adore my liebling- it is a great car to drive!"

For the Thrifty

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficiency. Car with no car payment"

Cons: "Acceleration. Drive carefully, you can't zoom."

"I bought a diesel because I was driving 500 miles a week. Most of it (350-400) Interstate. I've had the car for ten years, have done the scheduled maintenance faithfully. Only two major repairs (timing belt,fuel pump). Running MPG is 41/gal. So long as you take care of these cars they last forever."

I fell in love with the engine

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "A total blast to drive"

Cons: "Other Jettas have been less reliable."

"This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I had a Honda that needed a dual camshaft replacement on recall, and I had an Acura that needed a transmission rebuild right off the lot for a defective 5th gear, so I'm a tough sell on the legendary reliability of Japanese cars. The VR6 in this car is the reason I bought it. I could have bought the GTI with the same engine that year, but the Jetta made more sense. The drawback is that the suspension can't really handle the curves, so the torquey engine can get you in trouble. That's probably what you'd get by buying the Audi A4 version of this car, but you'd never get it so cheap. KBB is telling me it's worth $3000, but it's a very solid car, and everything works fine. If I can get another 4 years/50K out of it, and it drives strong all that time, who's to tell me it's not worth $10K to me? Other Jettas from that time did not fare so well. The 1.8T 4-cylinder engine seems to have had lots of problems. The trade-in value of my Jetta GLI seems to suffer from association with that submodel."

I picked the best

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "Small outside, big inside, 34mpg. PRETTY car."

Cons: "2 cup holders INFRONT of radio !"

"Had it 9 years, from 3 years old & 70,000 miles. Now got 220,000 and still going, just tired. The only repairs needed were and emissions pump at 120K so I put a cam belt on at the same time. Ones set of pads all round, a fuel pump this midwinter when it was COLD then just tires and oil as and when needed. Center arm rest hinge broke because of the way I rest on it on entry. Great car loved it to bits, about to trade it in for a pickup as it won't hold much that's over 6 ft long."

Great little car.

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, looks good."

Cons: "Not so great mileage"

"Great car. Handles well, stops great, basically very comfortable. A little hard to get into the seat, but once you're in fits like a glove. Only drawback is the mileage from the V6. Never much better than 24 mpg even all highway miles. I had a 2000 Ford SVT Contour and the mileage was at least 4-5 mpg better. Replaced the SVT with 198,000 miles with a 2014 GLI (2.0T)."