2004 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1448 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Great fuel economy and fun to drive!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "40 mpg average, great pickup"

"I'm the second owner of this car, buying it from a dealer when it was 2 years old and in excellent condition. This is the second Jetta TDI for me. Mostly I use this car for myself, in town and highway driving with almost no maintenance. It needed a timing belt at 100,000 miles (this is standard service for a diesel) and one of the battery cables went bad. I've had the oil changed every 10,000 miles using full synthetic oil. The only minor complaint I have is that the back seat is a bit small, but this car will accommodate 5 average sized people without any trouble. I love the moon roof with the option of flipping up or sliding it open. Using the key to open or close all the windows at once is fun to use. I like that I can do minor things, like replacing the lights, myself. This is a wonderful car to own, and I usually fill up every one and a half to two weeks. It's been a great car for me since 2007."

Luv My Jetta

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

"Forgetting about normal stuff (brakes,tire,etc.) My total repair cost with 148000 is $500 just a Temp. sensor, O2 sensor and a window regulator. Plus mine is a special "city" model which means I get close to 33 mpg on my daily drive. On a trip the mileage drops to about 30 but I don't care as only 5% of my driving is long distance. Going to try and beat my record I set with my 86 GTI which was 448000 miles."

2004 Jetta TDI is a GREAT car!

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "Great little car!"

Cons: "Seat-back recliner dial is awkwardly placed"

"I love my 2004 TDI! The newer Jetta TDI has been cheapened beyond compare - no body-side molding, 'plastic-y' dashboard, no leather option, cheaper carpeting, cheaper wheels, etc. etc. I am awaiting the new model which is currently available in Europe (unfortunately Americans are not allowed to purchase cars overseas...). It is supposed to be much more like the 2004 I currently own, including the leather seat option. I am hoping that they will also come out with an all-wheel drive version in a wagon in the not-too-distant future."

fun car

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "fast fun to drive"

Cons: "holds the road /been up to 125 mph love it"

"I purchased it used needed some work expensive to repair runs great when there is no problems do it your self guys will love it so many things after market"

this has be one of the best cars i have owned

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pros: "its all good"

Cons: "repair coast"

"I thought that I would not own a vw agine after my first one it was a 76 squair back it had a mager over heating problum. But this Jetta VR6 is one awsam car it almost drives itslfe love the car"

love my jetta 5 speed nothing drives like it!

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

Cons: "plastic parts cracked"

"I adore my liebling- it is a great car to drive!"

For the Thrifty

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficiency. Car with no car payment"

Cons: "Acceleration. Drive carefully, you can't zoom."

"I bought a diesel because I was driving 500 miles a week. Most of it (350-400) Interstate. I've had the car for ten years, have done the scheduled maintenance faithfully. Only two major repairs (timing belt,fuel pump). Running MPG is 41/gal. So long as you take care of these cars they last forever."

I fell in love with the engine

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "A total blast to drive"

Cons: "Other Jettas have been less reliable."

"This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I had a Honda that needed a dual camshaft replacement on recall, and I had an Acura that needed a transmission rebuild right off the lot for a defective 5th gear, so I'm a tough sell on the legendary reliability of Japanese cars. The VR6 in this car is the reason I bought it. I could have bought the GTI with the same engine that year, but the Jetta made more sense. The drawback is that the suspension can't really handle the curves, so the torquey engine can get you in trouble. That's probably what you'd get by buying the Audi A4 version of this car, but you'd never get it so cheap. KBB is telling me it's worth $3000, but it's a very solid car, and everything works fine. If I can get another 4 years/50K out of it, and it drives strong all that time, who's to tell me it's not worth $10K to me? Other Jettas from that time did not fare so well. The 1.8T 4-cylinder engine seems to have had lots of problems. The trade-in value of my Jetta GLI seems to suffer from association with that submodel."

I picked the best

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "Small outside, big inside, 34mpg. PRETTY car."

Cons: "2 cup holders INFRONT of radio !"

"Had it 9 years, from 3 years old & 70,000 miles. Now got 220,000 and still going, just tired. The only repairs needed were and emissions pump at 120K so I put a cam belt on at the same time. Ones set of pads all round, a fuel pump this midwinter when it was COLD then just tires and oil as and when needed. Center arm rest hinge broke because of the way I rest on it on entry. Great car loved it to bits, about to trade it in for a pickup as it won't hold much that's over 6 ft long."

Great little car.

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, looks good."

Cons: "Not so great mileage"

"Great car. Handles well, stops great, basically very comfortable. A little hard to get into the seat, but once you're in fits like a glove. Only drawback is the mileage from the V6. Never much better than 24 mpg even all highway miles. I had a 2000 Ford SVT Contour and the mileage was at least 4-5 mpg better. Replaced the SVT with 198,000 miles with a 2014 GLI (2.0T)."

Safe car very reliable and great performance

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Pros: "Leather sunroof heated seats sunroof"

Cons: "Little leg room in back seat"

"I loved this car I had a 2004 Gli best car ever! Moves quick and got power loved the sound of turbo. Interior leather heated seats loaded with sunroof and all. Very safe car I unfortunately demolished it. Saved my life and my friends too."

exceptional fuel mileage-fun to drive- sun roof

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "excellent fuel economy-leather upholstery-like new"

"Has always been parked inside garage, no accidents, grade A tires, cd-player, cruse control, sun roof, original owner, standerd transmission, original brake pads- front and rear- shows hardly any wear on the front brake pads. Outside metallic grey inside all black leather upholstery. Complete maintenance records are available, plus like new service manual."

The great cars from Germany

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "Reasonable price, fun with the turbo, huge trunk,"

Cons: "Bad cup holder design upfront, remote trunk releas"

"My mother bought this 2001 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8 Turbo from Carmax back in 2005. It had one previous owner and 40,000 miles. Very good car, very reasonable price, and very big trunk! Comfortably caries 3 people and their luggage for a 2 week vacation no prob. Mechanical issues: lower control arm for the suspension up front might have issues, Also the remote trunk release might snap, but there are replacements online. Overall, really great car and recommend it for anyone. Just remember to routinely change the air filter, those turbos literally inhale it..."

One of the best vaule cars I've ever owned

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "It has never left me on the road :)"

Cons: "can't think of any"

"I bought this car in 2002 and I'm looking to buy another desiel car. This car gets 50 mpg its the best one they have made so far. It was well put together, tuff little car and dependable."

awesome turbo power

By on Tuesday, March 04, 2014

"love my jetta!"

Great car if taken care of

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and reliability"

Cons: "Repairs expensive Doesn't like being cold"

"I bought the 1.8t 4 months ago and I knew it needed some work but since I've been driving issue after issue. Why? Because the previous owner had no clue how to take care of the car. These Vws love their routine Maintainence. I would recommend getting a Manuel transmission cause replacing the auto is a royal pain and expensive. But other than that it's a fantastic car a joy to drive and I would recommend one that has been taken care of. And if the owner can't prove it don't buy it!"

I love my GLI! Sporty, stylish and fun to drive.

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "Styling, sporty, good mpg & FUN TO DRIVE!"

Cons: "Must do scheduled maintenance, small gas tank."

"I am the 2nd owner of my 2005 VW GLI 1.8T and I have loved this car from the beginning. Many people curse the Jetta for several issues. They all have the 99'-03' models. The 2004.5-2005 years cleared all that mess up. This car has great euro styling, the interior is well laid out and the Recaro seats are extremely supportive and comfortable. I've put 60,000 spirited miles on it and it just keeps giving me what I want. Gas mileage is still good for how I drive. I still get 22mpg/city and 31mpg/highway. On long road trips its more like 38-41mpg. Steering is nice and firm for sporty handling and the turbo engine pulls hard when you want it too! My only grip with this car is 2 things. 1). When things break and they will. Its best to fix it yourself because German cars are expensive to take to the dealer. 2). It has a small gas tank of only 14 gallons. Really its 12 gallons when the light comes on. Other than that, like I said, I love my GLI and I will be getting newer one soon."

Super commuting car. Excellent mileage. Fun drive.

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

"TDI is an excellent car. Runs very well. Have done routine maintenance and after 12 years only a couple other minor issues. Gets superb mileage - averages >45 mpg for in town and often >50 mpg on highway."

runs and drives great-

By on Friday, February 07, 2014

Pros: "5000"

Cons: "yes it has cup holderd"

"loaded, white, very clean , all records up to date"

A must own

By on Friday, January 31, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, reliability"

Cons: "cup holders are mounted over radio"

"So I purchased this vehicle used in 2010 with 95k miles on it. It is the GLS TDI (1.9L TDI with automatic transmission). It is loaded with features such as a moon roof, steering wheel mounted audio controls and heated leather seats. I use it to commute to work. In the summer it is averaging around 53-54 miles per gallon, and in the winter its around 45-47. This vehicle has been very reliable with minimal expenses for maintenance. The only thing I do not like about this vehicle is that the cup holders come up just above the radio screen making it difficult to see which radio station you are on. This vehicle now has approximately 215k miles on it and runs daily."

best vehicle i've ever owned

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive and great price"

Cons: "no drawbacks"

"wonderful car...I will buy another"

good car

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "fun car, great daily driver"

Cons: "coilpacks! doorlocks!"

"i have owned the car for a year and its awesome so far at 165k miles. the vr6 is the only way to go. way more reliable and has more power, although you feel it in the mpg about 24 city and highway average. problems so far consist mainly of coil packs. also i have had a couple of problems with door locks, but other than that its been a very good car."

Money Pit!

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Great interior and looks good"

Cons: "everything else. Car is a never ending money pit"

"Bought with 107,000 now at 125,00 and have sunk $2000+ in repairs and now needs a new transmission and same problems come back. Nobody will work on these cars and the parts are twice as expensive than most cars. Do buy it!"

The TDI makes it the best car ever

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Fantastic fuel mileage, fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "Cheap plastic pieces all break and need replacing"

"I bought this car new in October of 2000. It now has 195,000 miles on it and is still going strong. Trip to Oregon and back a couple weeks ago netted exactly 52 MPG at somewhat aggressive freeway speeds (manual). The only issue I have is that I need to get a new car for carrying capacity reasons and just can't seem to give this car up. It will be going on to one of my sons, so it will at least be staying in the family. I fully expect that it could go another 200K miles."

Great Commuter Car!

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

Pros: "Sporty but with 52 mpg."

Cons: "Dealer servicing is pricey, but 3rd party shops ok"

"I think this might be my favorite car ever. The only reason I'm selling is that I need an automatic (Carpal Tunnel makes shifting difficult). It gets a consistent 52 mpg and is a hoot to drive. The diesel has lots of torque which translates into a great highway driver. I am buying another one with an automatic."