2004 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1477 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Have loved this car for 12 years!

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pros: "very fun to drive, very low cost to own."

Cons: "no bluetooth or navigation"

"This is a great car. Our family has 2 Jetta TDI's. I might just get another one...newer!"

Love this car!

By on Friday, March 20, 2015

Pros: "FUN to drive, reliable, still good looking"

Cons: "19 MPG; new ones feel bigger, don't drive the same"

"I have had this car since January 2001 (yes, 14 years) and still am in love with it. Some fool bought it in the fall of 2000, put three thousand miles on it and traded it in at the local Mini Cooper dealer, where I found it and fell in love with it immediately. My first test of a car is 'can I see over the back seat and out the window?' - yes to that, though I am 5'2". The second test is 'can my large 6'4" husband get in, close the door and be comfortable?' yes to that as well. The final test was the drive: highway, back road, up hills and down (in slushy weather, yet) - truly amazing! Over the years, it has had two major mechanical problems, promptly solved by the very nice local VW dealer, but it has given me so much pleasure to drive that I am not even interested in test driving anything else. I know one day I will have to, but for now - this is my car."

2004 Jetta TDI 4 door sedan

By on Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Pros: "solid, great MPGs, comfortable"

"Bought this car as a new leftover in July 2005. Also bought an extended warranty. It has the 5 speed Tiptronic that has performed flawlessly for over 214 k miles. The body has held up well to several New England winters with only one minor rust blemish on the right front fender. The cloth interior has held up quite well with no tears. I recently replaced the front struts and half shafts, not so much because they were worn out as I felt it was time to do it. The timing belt and water pump have been changed at 80-90k mile intervals. Normal wear items have been replaced as necessary. The only issues have been a burned out fuel pump replaced under warranty and a more recent, transient, electrical problem that has magically disappeared (knock wood). The head light lenses are fogged over and despite several attempts to buff them out, will not stay clear. I bought and installed aftermarket headlights from Spec-D that were horrible, prompting re-install of the originals. I did install Dorman seat heaters that I bought from Amazon. They work great but it was a difficult install. All in all one of the best cars I have ever owned. It continues to give 40-45 MPG. With four studded snow tires it goes like a champ in the snow, assisted by the stability and traction control. I have no real complaints about the car."

13 yrs old and never a problem

By on Thursday, February 12, 2015

Pros: "economical, dependable and it just fits me."

Cons: "Terrible cup holder set up"

"I would never have expected any new car to last this long and be so trouble-free and dependable. The only reason I'd love to get a new car is for the new features that did not even exist when I bought this car."

2005 1/2 Jetta TDI

By on Saturday, February 07, 2015

"why the 1/2 was put on this car..I don't know. But it ALWAYS caused problems for anything done to this car, even as simple as an oil change! Even the dealer had trouble getting it right! But I love this car! No other car can touch the mpg!!! 45 - 50 mpg! This is our "go to" car. The backseat lays down making it possible to fit just about anything in the trunk! I do think VW could do a much better job standing behind their vehicles. It had wiring harness/ electrical issues early on (under warranty) and again later (not under warranty). Just last fall (fall/2014) I received a class action suit letter about said defect! I was notified of an '05 model recall on the egr cooler. Took it to the dealer and he ran my vin and said my vin was not included in the recall. One year and $1200 later my egr cooler was replaced!! I'm not sure how you can be notified your part is defective and then have your vin excluded. But that's what happened. Now its at 260,000 miles and the cam shaft and lifters need replaced (so I'm told). So I'm between a rock and a hard place. KBB says its only worth $2 or $3K and its going to cost more than that to fix it. What to do, What to do.... But I wouldn't change anything, its been a great car!"

2003 Jetta Least Reliable

By on Thursday, February 05, 2015

"2003 Jetta Turbo. Bought for my daughter as 1st car. Bad decision, nothing but trouble. Even the volkswagen dealer told us very unreliable year."

Average at best.

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Pros: "Adequate diesel; handles well; good cargo room."

Cons: "Defective paint; lacking in overall quality."

"Clear coat and paint sloughing off, overall finish inside and outside is disappointing. It doesn't deliver the fuel economy I expected; it eats glow plugs; alternator and roller failed. Automatic trans has always felt a tad unsure; now may have problem developing - TBD. In some areas (i.e. trans) it was not designed with ease-of-maintenance in mind. On the positive side, it has very adequate torque and drives and handles well. With the rear seats down, it has a surprising amount of cargo room."

Good deal for a solid reliable vehicle

By on Saturday, December 06, 2014

Pros: "quiet and comfortable ride, good handling."

Cons: "O2 sensor needed to get replaced early"

"engine runs like it was new! 2.0 gas with standard transmission (still feels great) reliable car. quiet and almost no road noise. handling is great. ride quality is great. owning a Volkswagen is like a having a high upkeep wife. take good care of it and do all the scheduled maintenance and you will be rewarded with one of the best driving machines on the road today. treat it badly and abuse it...and it will be your worst nightmare. do your research!! besides the typical cupholders and O2 sensor going out everything else is great!! cookie cutter german design on the body. but if you can get past that its a great car!! just make sure when you plan on buying one that it is up to date on its preventive maintenance!"

Buy a TDI ....

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior"

Cons: "Burns oil, not good on gas, loud on highway."

"I've had this car for 3 years and im not really satisfied with it. To many little issues. The check engine light always pops up. DONT buy the 2.0 gas . Not very frugal on gas , burns oil crazy, and very lazy. Very small in the back."

Bought new in 2002 - now 12 years later ?

By on Monday, December 01, 2014

Pros: "Gas Mileage, Reliability, No mechanical issues."

Cons: "Oil Pan is very sensitive when doing oil changes."

"Still going strong! The car has held up well but I've maintained it well. Did the regular oil change and the only wear/tear issue I've had in the last 14 years was replacement of the gas tank. Not too shabby considering I have 170K on it. I get a bit leary of having so many miles on the car, and my other cars I've sold once I hit 150k, but this keeps going strong. May keep it around a bit longer and let it become the kids first car. BTW - Still so much fun to drive. Guess it makes me feel a bit younger driving this car :)"