2003 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1449 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

50 MPG ON ONE GALLON OF GAS ROUND TRIP ACROSS MTN

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "SUPER EASY TO DRIVE"

Cons: "NO LEATHER SEATS"

"THIS IS THE BEST VEHICLE! SUPER PEPPY,RELIABLE,COMFORTABLE, AGILE! CLIMBS AFTON MOUNTAIN IN FIFTH GEAR LIKE A V8 ENGINE AND SIPS LITTLE GAS. BODY,INTERIOR,EXTERIOR IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. EASY VEHICLE TO SERVICE. SUPER FAST ON THE INTERSTATE & AROUND WASHINGTON,DC CAPITAL BELTWAY. VEHICLE FACTORY EQUIPPED BURGLAR ALARM,ENGINE IMMOBOLIZER,RADIO ANTI-THEFT ACTIVATED WITH THE LOCK OF DOORS. WILL NEED TO SELL DUE TO CANCER."

some positive some negative

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "cool car, smooth ride"

Cons: "lots of repairs"

"I've had this car for 6 years. Positives -Smooth ride -Good looking car -good visibility from inside the car Negatives -My car burns oil like no other. If I drive frequently, I need to add oil to the car about 3 times per week.... -I am at 72k miles and nearly every part of the car has broken. -Not having automatic windows and mirrors is a pain for numerous reasons. If I had't had so many mechanical issues with this car I would give it a very positive review, but all of the repairs I have paid for this year have cost me more than the total current value of the car.."

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE 2000 VW DIESEL JETTA!

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "fUN TO DRIVE"

"THE ONLY FLAW WAS THE TURBO GOT SHOT OUT IN THE FIRST 4 YEARS, BUT OTHER THAN THAT, I LOVE THE CAR .... It is still going strong at 294, miles"

Nearly 250k miles and still runs like a champ!

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pros: "Durability, Dependability, Great MPG"

Cons: "Plastic pieces inside the car are cheap and break"

"I'm the second owner of this car. I purchased it in 2002 with 37k miles on it. It now has 244k and I can still spin its tires! It still runs on the ORIGINAL CLUTCH and has never had any engine repair. We consistently still get 32mpg! The only negative thing I have to say about this car is that all of the little knobs and details in the car are made with cheap plastic and much of it has since broken off. Things like the cup holder have broken and replaced twice. The center console has also broken. Awesome car. We're just now replacing it with a slightly newer version we love it so much. Sad to see it go."

Okay car

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Good mpg, fun to drive"

Cons: "Too small, electrical issues, transmissioproblems"

"Decent car with a 23 mpg average. At 100k I had to replace the pump which is normal. It hesitates when I put it in reverse and recently found out the transmission is leaking fluid. It also leaks oil. The heated seat on the drivers side stopped working. Sometimes the lights inside the car don't work. Usually the ones in the front. Beside those electrical issues and it leaking transmission fluid it has been a pretty good car I bought it with 86k miles most of the miles I put on it were highway. It's fun to drive. It has good brakes the steering is good too. It's pretty small inside which is why I'm getting rid of it. I had a baby and there's no room for all of our stuff. And if I go shopping it's nearly impossible to fit everything inside. The trunk only has room for the stroller."

Great economical car

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "gas saver, easy handling, fun to drive"

Cons: "nay on stick shift and limited rear seat space"

"Great economical car, good handling, comfortable ride. I use it for my 20 mile commute to work and errands. I have even taken it on 800 mile vacation trips and got 33 mph on the freeway."

3 jETTA S LATER AND STILL GETTING ANOTHER

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "I have loved driving my bright red sporty car"

Cons: "My tape deck quit 4 years ago cd quit last wk."

"i Have owned my present Jetta for 10 years, it was a lease car and had 47,000 when i got it. It has gone over the 250,000 goal I had set to get from it. The condition is still in full driving order with some rust on the trunk area only. I am purchasing another leased Jetta with fewer miles but 6 years old in very good shape, and expect to drive it another 10 years."

Beware - 2000 Jetta GLX

By on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pros: "Fun car to drive, has zip, leather/heated seats"

Cons: "breaks down too much! electronics are spotty"

"I bought my 2000 Jetta GLX manual (used) just over a year ago. I got it from a family member who took good care of it. Just after a month of having the car, the a/c compressor went out. It made a horrific grinding noise while driving. I've also had to replace the computer chip in the driver's side door. One day the window decided not to open and the rear view mirror control started to lock and unlock the doors. My moon roof likes to open on it's own from time to time as well. Just recently, the car overheated. Found out that the thermostat casing had a crack and the water pump had broken. My mechanic also discovered that the oil that was put into the car was the wrong kind. (Most shops don't know anything about VW cars...even the ones that work on imports). Now I have come to find out that my timing chain is bad because the oil pressure has screwed up a tension rod. There was also some sort of clip that broke inside the manual gear shift. I couldn't go in reverse or really use any gear other than 3rd. I've put too much money into this car for what it is worth. This thing has been a total Lemon. Use caution when purchasing this vehicle. It's fun to drive around town but it's been into the shop every other month it seems."

She's Been a Good Ride!

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Reason: Wanted newer car

Pros: "Handling, Tape Deck, Location of cupholders"

Cons: "4-cyl can be sluggish"

"I have enjoyed my Jetta Wagon. Gas mileage is good. Handling is excellent. Not as peppy as I'd like, but she is only a 4-cylinder. Overall, great car. Minor repairs needed (totalling $1000 in 3-yrs ownership). I would recommend this car. Sold only because I'm upgrading to a 2012 Passat."

11 years and still my favorite car

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great mileage, dependable"

Cons: "seats don't hold up,needs custom tune post warrant"

"I was middle aged when I purchased this car 11 years ago, now a senior and i still enjoy this car. I have only been towed once in 168k, the turbo blew. It was tuned 2.5 years ago and mileage actually improved to a city/hwy average of 42mpg and I have achieved 50+ on a few trips even with a heavy r foot. It handles well with decent tires and is fun on curvy roads! It carries a bunch of stuff capably."

its alright depending on you!

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

"I have owned this car for about 5 years I bought it used with 90,000 miles on it. now has 142,000.it has on going problems occur all the time you fix one thing a short while another breaks. it is however a reliable car! as long as you maintain it well. interior is great seating is nice only if a little bit more room was acquired to the rear seats. space in trunk great! handles good, acceleration and horse power could use work but it gets the job done. I honestly like this car a lot even with the problems it has because it keeps going!"

Never again

By on Friday, January 25, 2013

Pros: "Peppy"

Cons: "unreliable, designed poorly"

"Bought this to replace my 98 Volvo. Constant problems with engine, transmission, thermostat, ASR, air intake (exhaust smell), airbag sensor."

LOVE MY JETTA

By on Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pros: "Never breaks down, runs forever. Fun to drive."

Cons: "Not roomy"

"Awesome sporty looking reliable car. Very sturdy and durable. Not very spacious for passengers especially in the rear. Very economical. Has incredible gas millage and runs like new even after over 100,000 miles. Breaks last forever. Those Germans know how to make a quick little tank with very little maintenance."

Super reliable - Love the TDI

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and really cheap to own"

Cons: "leg room in rear if you have 6 ft+ in your family"

"I have driven this car for the last 5 years. Other than the timing belt two years ago, it has needed zero repairs. I have a 35 mile commute each day and it averages 45mpg. I am at the pump every other week. This is a great car. I am told the diesel engines will easily go 400,000 if well maintained. I change the oil and fluids religiously!! My husband drives a Passat and he is never experiencing trouble either. Heated seats are awesome in winter and AC rocks in summer."

Horrible Car, Money Sucker

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "no cup holders, always needs expensive repairs"

"I absolutely hate my VW Jetta. It has been nothing but a money hole for me. I bought it at a good price but then had to put in over $2000 in repairs when everything seemed to check out fine at the beginning. Most mechanics can't/won't fix it because it is a European made car so you have to take it to the dealership and they charge an arm and a leg for everything. It seems like every single year I have to put it almost $1000 in repairs for it to pass safety/emissions. This car is ridiculous and I will NEVER buy or recommend a Jetta or VW to anyone."

DON'T BUY THIS CAR

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

"I own this car right now and I'll I want to do is get rid of it. You will have problem after problem I PROMISE YOU. It's a fun car to drive but sooooo not worth it. I spent more money trying to fix the car than i actually paid for it!!"

Fun to drive but not reliable stay away .

By on Saturday, January 05, 2013

Reason: Money Pit

"Great Fun to drive bit mechanically a lot went wrong with it. Up to 90,000 sound but after that burns a hole in your wallet."

i have a new transmision, timing bells ,gas pump

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Pros: "easy to drive"

Cons: "seats or old"

"I just fill the want to have a new fresh smile. I like my car. After 9 years I just need a change."

Stay away from automatic trans

By on Friday, December 28, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, good design, base model options"

Cons: "auto trans, slow w/ 2.0, questionable reliability"

"Purchased this car 6 months ago. Cam sensor acting up when purchased and ultimately needed to be replaced. Drives well and looks good, overall feels solid. Stay away from the automatics and get the manual, they are known to be bad and I see them at transmission shops all the time. Slow acceleration with 2.0. Gets okay gas mileage, should get more mpg for what it is. Small back seat. Great factory monsoon system. Glove box handles break all the time. heated cloth seats are great for cold weather. Moderate wind noise on highway. High RPM at highway speeds."

I love my old TDI Jetta

By on Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Pros: "good power, good handling, FUN to drive"

Cons: "nada"

"I bought my 99 late model GLS TDI used, one owner, ten years ago, had 100k on it, I've put 128K on it. It's been very reliable overall. I'm a Toyota Master Tech with over 20 years with Toyota, they are very good cars, but I've always loved VW diesels, this one is my 4th, I just purchased my 5th in August, a 2010 TDI Cup Edition, one owner after a year of searching for one, and I absolutely love it! The vw's are challenging to work on compared to toyota's! The newer Toyota engines are pretty complex. Actually all german cars are complex compared to japanese built cars,, I don't think I'll ever be ready for a Prius, my girlfriend has one, they ARE good cars but so BORING to drive! I may regretfully sell the 99 as I traded my truck in to get the 2010 tdi, and I need a truck!"

Great car!

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "Holds their value, great economy in the TDI!"

Cons: "Rear seat legroom with taller front seat passenger"

"I've owned everything from a Mazda to a BMW, a Dodge Ram and a Duramax GMC. I bought this car when I moved back to the USA from 3 years in Europe, I needed cheap reliable transportation and thought it fit the bill. Almost 8 years later, it's still my daily driver. With an average of about 48 MPG (Diesel, Stick, 50% highway), great driving and handling, and a comfortable cabin, I just can't get rid of it. VW Says "Drivers Wanted" this is a driver's car! My only comment would be the back seats offer very little legroom on the older '05 Jetta's, so okay for a family with little kids, but not teenagers. I have no kids, so it works for me. A parent with shorter legs could pull their seat forward for more rear seat legroom, but a larger driver/passenger has the option of going aft and down with their seat, giving them tons of room, but at the expense of the rear seat passengers. The trunk is huge and shaped effectively, the rear seats fold down 60/40. Maintenance wise in 140,000 miles I had one injector go bad (warranty, early), a water pump at about 50,000 miles (I replaced it again at 100,000 miles when I did the timing belt on schedule), normal tire replacement and oil changes every 10,000 miles (or so). This car just runs and runs and runs, and I love the range and mileage. I currently own a BMW K1200LT motorcycle as well, and the car gets better mileage. I also have a crew cab long bed duramax 2500, but the Jetta parks anywhere, is comfortable, and you just can't beat that 48MPG. I guess people that drive more conservatively than I do (I'm a lead foot), get 50+, but I DRIVE my Jetta and it just treats me well! Highly recommend the TDI engine!"

Will Not Buy Another Volkswagen - Ever

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pros: "Looks nice"

Cons: "Not Reliable"

"::: CONS ::: My car has cut off in traffic multiple times. My driver heated seat only works on High setting. My passenger heated seat doesn't work. The coating on the inside of the doors is soft and has peeled off. The lights are terrible. The SunRoof opens and closes itself while I am driving down the road. It is too hard to find a mechanic to work on a Volkswagen, which leaves me driving 40 miles out of my way to be over-charged by the closest dealership. ::: PROS ::: I love the Leather seats and also the rubber floor mats. I love the way the car car looks (up to 2005,) that's why I purchased the car."

Still feels like new

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pros: "Still handles like it did new."

Cons: "Would not want another sun roof due to problems"

"First new car that has continued to feel like new each time I drive it. Bought it knowing it might be my last new car. Expect to be buried in it. :-)"

Great fuel milage, average 40-45

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

Pros: "very fun to drive with the manual transmission"

Cons: "not many cup holders"

"very fun little car to drive with manual transmission and with a few modifications it can get even better mpg!! and it will be very quick with those modifications."

Good car for the initial investment

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "Initial cost, MPG, durability"

Cons: "Repair costs, electrical system"

"Bought my 2002 Jetta from Carmax at a good price in 2006. The car had 30,000. It's been mostly reliable but has had many of the same issues that other owners have described; catalytic converter, coil wire, windows falling down ($415.00 to replace 1 regulator) & a finicky alarm system that seems to have a mind of it's own. Overall I'm happy with the car but unsure if I'd buy another one."

See if you qualify for