2003 Volkswagen Jetta

7.5

Based on 1485 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Good car for the initial investment

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "Initial cost, MPG, durability"

Cons: "Repair costs, electrical system"

"Bought my 2002 Jetta from Carmax at a good price in 2006. The car had 30,000. It's been mostly reliable but has had many of the same issues that other owners have described; catalytic converter, coil wire, windows falling down ($415.00 to replace 1 regulator) & a finicky alarm system that seems to have a mind of it's own. Overall I'm happy with the car but unsure if I'd buy another one."

Excellent dependability and fun

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, cheap to operate"

Cons: "looks like grandma's car"

"Have 280K and climbing, never had any functional problems, sure change a seat heat sw and do scheduled maintenance but it's an 2003. Power train is sound, I just change the oil every 15k, and run #2 (no bio or tree hugger stuff) I like the stogy exterior design, never turns heads like rice rockets hence no tickets!"

some positive some negative

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "cool car, smooth ride"

Cons: "lots of repairs"

"I've had this car for 6 years. Positives -Smooth ride -Good looking car -good visibility from inside the car Negatives -My car burns oil like no other. If I drive frequently, I need to add oil to the car about 3 times per week.... -I am at 72k miles and nearly every part of the car has broken. -Not having automatic windows and mirrors is a pain for numerous reasons. If I had't had so many mechanical issues with this car I would give it a very positive review, but all of the repairs I have paid for this year have cost me more than the total current value of the car.."

The TDI makes it the best car ever

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Fantastic fuel mileage, fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "Cheap plastic pieces all break and need replacing"

"I bought this car new in October of 2000. It now has 195,000 miles on it and is still going strong. Trip to Oregon and back a couple weeks ago netted exactly 52 MPG at somewhat aggressive freeway speeds (manual). The only issue I have is that I need to get a new car for carrying capacity reasons and just can't seem to give this car up. It will be going on to one of my sons, so it will at least be staying in the family. I fully expect that it could go another 200K miles."

Best Car Ever!

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Reason: needed a bigger car

Pros: "gas mielage, front wheel drive, reliability,"

Cons: "front cup holders broke easily"

"This was the second card I owned. I bought my Jetta when I turned 19 and owned throughout my 20's. This car was great on gas mileage and required very little maintenance. Living in Colorado during the winter can be tough without 4WD or AWD, but the Jetta ended up doing really well due to it being a heavier car and Front wheel drive. I would recommend this car for anyone. I really beat it up as teenager and it lived and flourished throughout my mid and late 20's, best purchase ever!!"

3 jETTA S LATER AND STILL GETTING ANOTHER

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "I have loved driving my bright red sporty car"

Cons: "My tape deck quit 4 years ago cd quit last wk."

"i Have owned my present Jetta for 10 years, it was a lease car and had 47,000 when i got it. It has gone over the 250,000 goal I had set to get from it. The condition is still in full driving order with some rust on the trunk area only. I am purchasing another leased Jetta with fewer miles but 6 years old in very good shape, and expect to drive it another 10 years."

Bets car I have owned YET!!

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Very drivable, quick, fun, comfy, and good MPG"

Cons: "Coil packs go out, and 3rd gear is a weak point"

On one of our show trips

"I would recomend the 2003 Jetta GLI 24 valve VR6 6 speed to any one from a first time buyer, to a seasoned gear head who likes to moddify their car. From stock to as it sits today this car has given me limited issues, and is extremely reliable. Gas milage is great for a mid size 6 cyl. 200 base/ engine HP is more than enough for fun or trouble, and with basic mods this car should not be ignored as a fantastic daily driver. With a cold air intake kit and cat back exhaust system this car sounds fantasic, and is a real dream to drive. And with the 14.5 gal tank I see 390 to 406 miles to the tank on long drives. The only really bad thigs with this car when buying used are the coil packs, they tend to go out and need replacing with out warning. And 3rd gear in th 02M 6 speed transmission seems to take the most abuse, and would be the chinc in the armor there. Other than that those are the only "bad" points I can think of. I would give this car a 8.5 to 9 out of 10."

On one of our show trips

Love my VW

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Im onto my second VW Jetta now and have loved both of them so far! My 2000 Jetta is always there for me and hasnt let me down, love the style of it. Interior is comfortable for those long rides especially with the heated cloth seats."

Good engine, cheap interior

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

"This car gets great fuel mileage, average 40 mpg. The diesel has plenty of power. However, at 130,000 miles, the car is falling apart, and the interior has been in bad shape since 80,000. The engine and transmission are fine, however, all the supporting equipment around them are starting to/have broken. AC is out, passenger power window is out, plastic in interior is cracked and broken around the shifter, broken glove box latch, broken center console latch, plastic coating on dash is sticky, broken seat belt latch cover. Parts are super expensive and you must use factory VW OEM parts or German made aftermarket parts such as Bosch. Several of the parts under the hood are made out of plastic instead of metal to save weight, but they do not last as long. In particular is a 3 way coolant hose flange that is made of plastic, which gets very hot and cracks over time. Preventative maintenance must be done, especially because of the timing belt and timing issues with there cars. Waiting until a part breaks on these cars can cause more damage. In summary, great engine and transmission, but the interior is junk and plasticky. Parts are expensive."

Dealer maintenance costs will TORTURE you!

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "Fuel Milage, diesel runs forever."

Cons: "OUTRAGEOUS MAINTENANCE COSTS!"

"I love VW diesels. Great fuel milage and they run forever, this is my third Jetta TDI. But unless you are going to do your own maintenance be prepared to empty your wallet for service at the dealer. The timing belt needs to be changed every 100K miles, the dealer quoted $1200 for that. (I did my own for $250). I had to replace the entire rack and pinion steering assembly just because a $10 steering fluid tube that connects to the rack housing could NOT be purchased without buying the whole rack"