2002 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1492 Ratings for the 2000 - 2005 models.

Warning

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"I bought this car used about three and a half years ago. It ran really well and was fun to drive. Since then, I have had two recalls, my sterio just stopped working, and at times I think the whole thing is just gonna fall apart like in the cartoons. Its true also that you feel like your beating it up all the time. Everything you drive over no matter how slow youre going, the bottom just eats the road. I have kept it up even though it costs an arm and a leg. The oil burns so fast and you really have to remember to check it often. The lights always go out the paint on the door handles and things peels off, and the front vents will fall off if you dont pay attenion and pop them back in. The bumper also can just pop off on the corners. I've also had a terrible time with all the dealerships. They do not know how to treat customers. I had to contact corporate just to get the owners manual that they forgot to give me and wanted to charge me like 90$ for. Also, after about two years they smell like crayons! Everyone I know who has one has said the same. There are positives, they are incredibly safe, the trunk is huge, and its cozy. But I'm sorry to say that I would never recommend this car nor buy another one."

Below expectations

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"Reliability of the vehicle and ability to obtain proper troubleshooting for mechnaical repair is poor."

Favorite Vehicle So Far

By on Monday, July 9, 2007

"This car great Performance and has quality Comfort. Drawbacks are the constant maintenance and price of fixing/replacing parts. Issues are well known and tend to happen to all owners of this vehicle. If you are going to purchase this car, you better have a good, and knowledgeable mechanic."

Luv My Jetta

By on Saturday, July 5, 2014

"Forgetting about normal stuff (brakes,tire,etc.) My total repair cost with 148000 is $500 just a Temp. sensor, O2 sensor and a window regulator. Plus mine is a special "city" model which means I get close to 33 mpg on my daily drive. On a trip the mileage drops to about 30 but I don't care as only 5% of my driving is long distance. Going to try and beat my record I set with my 86 GTI which was 448000 miles."

Trusty Steed

By on Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pros: "Fun, reliable, a huge value"

Cons: "Plastic interior parts break easily, cup holders"

"Had this car for 6 years now. Bought it used with 35k miles on it. I've had very little issues with the car outside of normal wear and tear. Replaced an alternator belt, a couple fluid leaks, air pump, and fuses were the only real repairs. The car feels solid and the drivetrain is excellent for the price. Other cars feel cheap steering and cheap in acceleration and take off. Going 100mph in this car feels completely safe compared to many other that make noise and shake. Very pleased. Would buy a brand new 2002 jetta if I could."