2002 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1474 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Buy a TDI ....

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior"

Cons: "Burns oil, not good on gas, loud on highway."

"I've had this car for 3 years and im not really satisfied with it. To many little issues. The check engine light always pops up. DONT buy the 2.0 gas . Not very frugal on gas , burns oil crazy, and very lazy. Very small in the back."

Bought new in 2002 - now 12 years later ?

By on Monday, December 01, 2014

Pros: "Gas Mileage, Reliability, No mechanical issues."

Cons: "Oil Pan is very sensitive when doing oil changes."

"Still going strong! The car has held up well but I've maintained it well. Did the regular oil change and the only wear/tear issue I've had in the last 14 years was replacement of the gas tank. Not too shabby considering I have 170K on it. I get a bit leary of having so many miles on the car, and my other cars I've sold once I hit 150k, but this keeps going strong. May keep it around a bit longer and let it become the kids first car. BTW - Still so much fun to drive. Guess it makes me feel a bit younger driving this car :)"

A good vehicle

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, fun, good mileage"

Cons: "Need tiny hands to do anything"

"I bought my '02 2.0 Jetta in August of 2007 after my Mitsubishi decided it no longer wanted to run. Apart from issues finding reverse (standard transmission) I fell in love with the performance of the car almost immediately. When purchased, it had a little over 50,000 miles on it so I'm coming up on quadrupling it's mileage in 7.5 years. To date I've had to do the timing belt and water pump twice, and that is literally the most I've ever had to spend on the car in one fell swoop. Working on the car yourself can be a little aggravating because everything is in the way of everything else. Little things like changing the headlights are exacerbated by the placement of the battery. Overall, though, just tack an extra 30 minutes on how long you think it should take to fix it on a non-German vehicle and you'll probably be spot on. Being a standard transmission has greatly helped out in the winter, as the roads in CT are less than ideal after snow or hail. I've never lost control on the roads in this car, however if it were an automatic I may have issues because of it's small size. Having two children now I'll likely be replacing it with a slightly roomier Passat in the near future. The car is plenty spacious if you're not constantly carting people around, and the rather small amount of back seat space is made up for by a generously sized trunk (folding rear seats to extend cargo space is a plus as well.) All in all, I would recommend this car to just about anyone (especially the standard). It's fun to drive and has had so few non-routine issues for me I don't mind keeping it around even with it's high mileage."

Great Ride

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

"This car is great. I get closer to 50 mpgs when on the highway and ive never had a problem with it. I couldnt ask for more from a vehicle that is an '01."

My second tdi

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "very good looking and dependable. 50 mpg on hwy."

"drove my 1998 tdi for 14 years, 240000 miles. no major problem. this is my second. I love it."