2002 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1465 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Junk. Nice looking junk, but junk just the same.

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior"

Cons: "Too many repair issues."

"Trans needs replacement for the second time. Enough already!"

Great basic and dependable car.

By on Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pros: "Easy to work on. Reliable. Well built."

Cons: "Not a lot of power in the 2.0 4 cyl. engine."

Alaska Green

"I have owned my Jetta for about two years now. I bought the car with about 152,000 miles on it and the car now has 177,000 miles on it and is still running strong. I admit have had to do some work to it however. I had a ball bearing go out (not a surprise due to the mileage), put in a new O2 sensor, replaced plugs and wires, and also just recently replaced the ignition coil. Not too pricey of fixes and thankfully I was able to do most of them myself. This has been a great little reliable commuter car for me. My Jetta has the 2.0 4 cyl. engine and although it is not zippy by any means it gets the job done. Also, I am a simple kind of guy who does not like a lot of flash inside his car and so this car it perfect. Well built, fun to drive, easy enough to work on, a very large following which makes finding solutions to problems a breeze, and great value if you're looking for good basic wheels."

Alaska Green

Great little car

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "paid 17K new, great return on in'vsmt 11yrs later"

Cons: "a little slow on the acceleration Ill have to say"

"bought new and since day one the only thing its asked me for was 2 new sets of tires in its 11 years, kept ORIGINAL battery 10 years into its life, ORIGINAL front disc brakes replaced at 113K and rears at 115K! Still have original exhaust, suspension parts and NOTHING so far has gone wrong. I only change oil every 7K miles and that's it! Warranty from VW covered recall to catalytic convertor and the fuel sending gauge was replaced (under warranty) at 14K."

Excellent dependability and fun

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, cheap to operate"

Cons: "looks like grandma's car"

"Have 280K and climbing, never had any functional problems, sure change a seat heat sw and do scheduled maintenance but it's an 2003. Power train is sound, I just change the oil every 15k, and run #2 (no bio or tree hugger stuff) I like the stogy exterior design, never turns heads like rice rockets hence no tickets!"

Sporty & reliable

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "fast, fun, stylish"

Cons: "some elec probs, plugs needed regular replacement"

"Other than some small electrical problems over the life of the vehicle, one could say that this vehicle is a good car to own if looking for a fun, fast car that provides safety and comfort with a stylish finish. Heated leather seats provide a warm rear during the cold winter months, and power windows and sunroof allow for great drives with wind in the hair when its warmer. Overall, I was satisfied with the car."

Made in Germany makes a difference!

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, so practical!"

Cons: "No new VW to replace it with!"

"Our 2003 Jetta Wagon has been very good to us. We bought it in Fall of 2003 with 5,000 miles on the clock and we're approaching 190k now. Overall it's been very reliable, which MKIV Volkswagens aren't necessarily known for. I attribute this to the fact that it was manufactured and fully assembled in Germany. Only the wagons were, if I understand correctly. It came with the 1.8 turbo motor, 5-speed manual trans, 17" wheels and sport suspension. From behind the wheel, it may as well have been a GTI. But out back there is so much room! It swallowed a 50-gallon water heater with the hatch closed. We load it up for family vacations all the time and I'm continually amazed by how much we carry, and how well it handles the load. It's always fun to drive. It's been on track a few times for HPDEs and everybody is surprised by how competent it is. *note - a few simple mods help with that, but it's not very far from stock at all. We've never had a car for this long (11 years and counting) or this many miles. The little Jetta is a champ. Can't say enough good things about our hot-rod mom wagon. It may not have all the cupholders you'd expect today, but there's not a car out there that I'm eager to replace it with. Good job on this one, VW."

This is the best car I have ever owned!

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "reliable, gas milage, comfortable, great drive"

Cons: "small trunk opening, rear light issues,"

"This car has been very reliable over the 12 years that I have owned it. Gas mileage 49.6 miles/(US) gal over 6 months last summer. I'll never buy another gas model car again. 310,000 miles and still going stong"

Great fuel economy and fun to drive!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "40 mpg average, great pickup"

"I'm the second owner of this car, buying it from a dealer when it was 2 years old and in excellent condition. This is the second Jetta TDI for me. Mostly I use this car for myself, in town and highway driving with almost no maintenance. It needed a timing belt at 100,000 miles (this is standard service for a diesel) and one of the battery cables went bad. I've had the oil changed every 10,000 miles using full synthetic oil. The only minor complaint I have is that the back seat is a bit small, but this car will accommodate 5 average sized people without any trouble. I love the moon roof with the option of flipping up or sliding it open. Using the key to open or close all the windows at once is fun to use. I like that I can do minor things, like replacing the lights, myself. This is a wonderful car to own, and I usually fill up every one and a half to two weeks. It's been a great car for me since 2007."

Luv My Jetta

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

"Forgetting about normal stuff (brakes,tire,etc.) My total repair cost with 148000 is $500 just a Temp. sensor, O2 sensor and a window regulator. Plus mine is a special "city" model which means I get close to 33 mpg on my daily drive. On a trip the mileage drops to about 30 but I don't care as only 5% of my driving is long distance. Going to try and beat my record I set with my 86 GTI which was 448000 miles."

2004 Jetta TDI is a GREAT car!

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "Great little car!"

Cons: "Seat-back recliner dial is awkwardly placed"

"I love my 2004 TDI! The newer Jetta TDI has been cheapened beyond compare - no body-side molding, 'plastic-y' dashboard, no leather option, cheaper carpeting, cheaper wheels, etc. etc. I am awaiting the new model which is currently available in Europe (unfortunately Americans are not allowed to purchase cars overseas...). It is supposed to be much more like the 2004 I currently own, including the leather seat option. I am hoping that they will also come out with an all-wheel drive version in a wagon in the not-too-distant future."