2002 Volkswagen Jetta

7.4

Based on 1481 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

some positive some negative

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "cool car, smooth ride"

Cons: "lots of repairs"

"I've had this car for 6 years. Positives -Smooth ride -Good looking car -good visibility from inside the car Negatives -My car burns oil like no other. If I drive frequently, I need to add oil to the car about 3 times per week.... -I am at 72k miles and nearly every part of the car has broken. -Not having automatic windows and mirrors is a pain for numerous reasons. If I had't had so many mechanical issues with this car I would give it a very positive review, but all of the repairs I have paid for this year have cost me more than the total current value of the car.."

Like the car, expensive to repair.

By on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pros: "Runs well, comfortable, well equipped."

Cons: "Expensive repairs, reliability less than expected"

"I bought this 01 Jetta Wagon (4 cyl, auto) for my daughters to take to college. It had about 110K on the odo, and was in good running condition. The body was in fair condition. It had the appearance that it had recently slid off the road and into a ditch (winter). After a lengthy test drive and inspection, I purchased the vehicle for what I felt was a fair price. The car runs great, is comfortable to drive, and is typically reliable. It is very well equipped, and the controls are well placed and easy to use. It rides nice on the highway, handles very well in the snow, and the A/C works well in the summer. After owning the car for almost three years, it currently has over 135K on the odo. I have not been impressed with the gas mileage (ave 24 - 27 mpg), nor the expense for routine maintenance and repair. I had the timing belt replaced at 130K (along with the water pump), and that cost over $600. You have to use ONLY VW coolant, which is not cheap. I also replaced the spark plugs, wires, and coils...again ONLY VW parts can be used. When the fuel pump went out, that was another $500 repair. I usually do all the work on my cars, including regular oil changes, but the VW requires so many special tools and and computer hook ups that I could not do most of the routine maintenance and repair. Just replacing the sparks plugs required a partial disassembly of the engine. Overall, the car was ideal for a college car. However, it is getting to the point where it is becoming a money pit. In the past 6 months I have put almost $2,000 in repairs and maintenance into this car. Where do I cut my losses? I would like to sell it to another college bound kid, but I am not sure I would trust someone to drive it for a great distance."

Long Lasting

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, great looks, reliable"

Cons: "turbo demands extra attention/premium fuel."

"The 1.8T is extremely dependable. I've had near zero reliability issues. But its turbo, so you have to ensure that you change the oil on schedule and only use premium fuel. Mine is fully loaded (Sans VR6) and feels way more upscale than its competition, even 9 years later. Watch out for the coilpacks above 100k. Its a bit high reving at highway speed."

GLI: Quite simply the Best Car Ever

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Pros: "Fast, Fun to drive, affordable, fast,"

Cons: "Everyone wanted it"

"I miss this car sooo much. It was fun to drive, it was dependable, it was fast and it was sooo fun to drive. I had the car for 9 years and I regret selling it. It never gave me any issues and was only in the shop for regular maintenance. It was six speeds of highway bliss. It made me better looking. It made me funnier. It made me sexy."

Excellent dependability and fun

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, cheap to operate"

Cons: "looks like grandma's car"

"Have 280K and climbing, never had any functional problems, sure change a seat heat sw and do scheduled maintenance but it's an 2003. Power train is sound, I just change the oil every 15k, and run #2 (no bio or tree hugger stuff) I like the stogy exterior design, never turns heads like rice rockets hence no tickets!"